Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trumain Carroll video press conference

Started by MrKnowItAll, January 10, 2018, 01:15:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MrKnowItAll

January 10, 2018, 01:15:57 pm Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:31:59 pm by MrKnowItAll

Randy Beaver

Thank you.  Been looking for some info.

HogInThaGrove

Love it.  He sounds super knowledgeable and on the cutting edge and adaptable.  Love the plan.  Great stuff.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: HogInThaGrove on January 10, 2018, 02:19:28 pm
Love it.  He sounds super knowledgeable and on the cutting edge and adaptable.  Love the plan.  Great stuff.

Enjoyed it as well.  Going to get them lean, strong, and fast.  Although I will miss the freaks coming out at night.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Shorttimer

I suspect Coach Carroll is going to be an upgrade. 

TebowHater

Just watched all the PC's today and in 3 of the 4 PCs the coach said we have to lean out / run more etc. While I don't dispute that, it did not pass me by that Chavis was the one coach who did not say that.

It's going to be interesting. There is a balance between speed and size that is required in this league, and it seems Morris/Cradock/Carroll may be caught by surprise come the fall that an SMU-style skinny fast team will not get it done in the SEC.

Note: Yes, Carroll did give one anecdote about a 160lb player becoming 175lbs and that making him faster. On the whole, though, especially when listening to Craddock/Morris, it was clear - the theme is going to be become skinny. (I am not saying this is bad, but will be interesting to see how it plays out come September).

RaisinHog

If you take 15-20 pounds off agim he is fixing too be a nasty edge rusher

SooieGeneris

I liked what he said to the effect that the previous staff did a great job of building strength, then went on to say that it was more important to improve speed and explosiveness along with strength.

I don't recall the exact words, but it was definitely a nice way to say we're going to take a different approach than they did as far as speed and quickness. Some of it is relative to what we play against, but I saw far too many kids appear not nearly as fast after they got here than in their tape.

He also made a comment about not making the players look like power lifters or body builders. That often seemed to be the goal of Herb/Bert..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: TebowHater on January 10, 2018, 03:03:44 pm
Just watched all the PC's today and in 3 of the 4 PCs the coach said we have to lean out / run more etc. While I don't dispute that, it did not pass me by that Chavis was the one coach who did not say that.

It's going to be interesting. There is a balance between speed and size that is required in this league, and it seems Morris/Cradock/Carroll may be caught by surprise come the fall that an SMU-style skinny fast team will not get it done in the SEC.

Note: Yes, Carroll did give one anecdote about a 160lb player becoming 175lbs and that making him faster. On the whole, though, especially when listening to Craddock/Morris, it was clear - the theme is going to be become skinny. (I am not saying this is bad, but will be interesting to see how it plays out come September).
mobility > strength
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

SooieGeneris

Morris has coached against several SEC teams as the OC at Clemson, they played Auburn and USCE every year and played LSU in a Bowl when Chavis was there. CM also noted one of the defensive coaches at Clemson had coached with Chavis at TN.

Craddock actually said he wants bigger WRs, that the smaller they are the faster they need to be. What he was talking about in losing weight was Cole Kelley and the O line and I agree. Maybe Whaley and some of the TEs too. Kelley can run this offense, but not at 268 lbs. The pace these guys want to play at, you can't have the QB gasping for air or throwing up. Kelley was too big and he seemed to indicate that Kelley had lost a few lbs already, welcome news to me.

Chavis addressed the need for more speed rushers, also. I saw on 24/7 that a DE committed to A&M had a couple of crystal ball predictions to us yesterday. More on the recruiting forum.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

DeltaBoy

This guy is the real deal.  Well spoken and knows his stuff.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

TebowHater

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 10, 2018, 03:26:45 pm
Morris has coached against several SEC teams as the OC at Clemson, they played Auburn and USCE every year and played LSU in a Bowl when Chavis was there. CM also noted one of the defensive coaches at Clemson had coached with Chavis at TN.

Craddock actually said he wants bigger WRs, that the smaller they are the faster they need to be. What he was talking about in losing weight was Cole Kelley and the O line and I agree. Maybe Whaley and some of the TEs too. Kelley can run this offense, but not at 268 lbs. The pace these guys want to play at, you can't have the QB gasping for air or throwing up. Kelley was too big and he seemed to indicate that Kelley had lost a few lbs already, welcome news to me.

I am not disagreeing that weight loss may be needed. All I am saying is that it was interesting to hear and will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I would still note there is a fundamental difference between a bowl game or 1-2 games a year and playing that week in and week out. It's easy to forget things as time goes on / write them off as not actually being that athletic or good, etc. CBB had played some SEC teams, too, and boy was he surprised.

As for the weight loss, Wrong - Cradock was talking about height. "The shorter you get the more speed you gotta have". Moreover, I would actually take issue with the statement if he had tried to claim that our WRs should be heavier - that's the one position on the field where truly speed/quickness/hands is nearly all that matters (see anyone from J Wright/Adams to Antonio Brown). Height is another approach to being good, as Cradock notes. Indeed, mostly correct after that, as you note basically every position other than WR he was talking about losing weight. The weight loss of the OL was emphasized multiple times by Tru and Morris and at least alluded to by Cradock.

SemperHawg

I like it.  Not a ton of gimmicky stuff.  Straight forward facts, takes all of his cues from the direction provided by the HC.  I especially like the quote "We're not here to make body builders or powerlifters"

I also like his thoughts on Pre-Hab

OneTuskOverTheLine™

There's a difference between skinny and lean. They are not looking to have a skinny team, but they want to add weight in muscle mass not fat. What he said about nutrition, prehab and even looking into what kind of shoes the guys are wearing are all things that are going to make this team faster and stronger. Look out SEC. This dude has a plan, and it has already been proven to work at Clemson as well as the short amount of time they were at SMU.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

TebowHater

January 10, 2018, 03:49:10 pm #14 Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:59:35 pm by TebowHater
Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 10, 2018, 03:44:41 pm
There's a difference between skinny and lean. They are not looking to have a skinny team, but they want to add weight in muscle mass not fat. What he said about nutrition, prehab and even looking into what kind of shoes the guys are wearing are all things that are going to make this team faster and stronger. Look out SEC. This dude has a plan, and it has already been proven to work at Clemson as well as the short amount of time they were at SMU.

Literally 100% of the things you mention were said, verbatim, by Herb. Maybe we can even bring the plant back to show how important nutrition is. Did you ever watch us warm up or cool down under Herb? We did so much prehab. And they explored the shoe thing so thoroughly that we even sent guys up to Oregon to be evaluated by Nike.

This guy also was never at Clemson.

There really isn't that much to say about S&C - it is what it is. But if we are trying to be skinnier, it will just be interesting. When was the last time an SEC line averaged 270 lbs like CCM had at SMU (it may in fact be recent, i have no idea, just seems like probably never)? The lightest in 2016 (when we were biggest) was 295.

elksnort

"Can't out train a bad diet"

Something all of us could heed.

hoglady

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 10, 2018, 03:16:44 pm
I liked what he said to the effect that the previous staff did a great job of building strength, then went on to say that it was more important to improve speed and explosiveness along with strength.

I don't recall the exact words, but it was definitely a nice way to say we're going to take a different approach than they did as far as speed and quickness. Some of it is relative to what we play against, but I saw far too many kids appear not nearly as fast after they got here than in their tape.

He also made a comment about not making the players look like power lifters or body builders. That often seemed to be the goal of Herb/Bert..

I don't think we were ever really as strong as we looked - or least it never showed up at the NFL combine.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

311Hog

i liked how he tried to keep things close to the vest.  There is no need to explain everything the results will bare out the merit of their systems.

MAGA45

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 10, 2018, 02:34:10 pm
Enjoyed it as well.  Going to get them lean, strong, and fast.  Although I will miss the freaks coming out at night.

Freaks with broken feet.
Fake News

ricepig

Herb is getting paid.....

Michigan's new football strength coach Ben Herbert, formerly at Arkansas, gets 3-yr deal with:
--$450K initial salary + $50K signing bonus,
--$500K salaries in 2019, '20.
--$450K salary pool for 4 football asst strength coaches and 1 nutritionist.

$500K annual pay for Michigan's new FB strength coach Ben Herbert is double what Michigan was paying his predecessor and $140K more than what he was due from Arkansas (he was terminated after Bielema's firing). Herbert stands to be among 5 highest-paid strength coaches in CFB.

https://twitter.com/ByBerkowitz/status/951222951327780864

Hoggish1

Well, now you can look forward to the freaks coming out in the day...

younghog

GO HOGS

younghog

Best Quote of all.

"These young men are driven by results.... quantify buying into a program and the benefits it gives to them."

This guy sees it .. ~Real Talk
GO HOGS

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: ricepig on January 10, 2018, 05:06:48 pm
Herb is getting paid.....

Michigan's new football strength coach Ben Herbert, formerly at Arkansas, gets 3-yr deal with:
--$450K initial salary + $50K signing bonus,
--$500K salaries in 2019, '20.
--$450K salary pool for 4 football asst strength coaches and 1 nutritionist.

$500K annual pay for Michigan's new FB strength coach Ben Herbert is double what Michigan was paying his predecessor and $140K more than what he was due from Arkansas (he was terminated after Bielema's firing). Herbert stands to be among 5 highest-paid strength coaches in CFB.

https://twitter.com/ByBerkowitz/status/951222951327780864

Yeah but sounds like Michigan was on the cheap for their last guy.  With the money they have they should be paying top $.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Flrazrback

Coach Carroll knows his stuff, that's obvious. Our players will still be big and strong, but become quick. Excited

Hogeration

WaltonCollege

Awesome, I want ten more dudes like this guy on the staff, if Ben Hebert needs helping cleaning out his office he can DM me.

JONAS

He is 100% correct when he said, "you can't out train a bad diet."  I went to the gym and worked out for years and kept getting fatter.  It wasn't until I changed my diet that I lost weight.

UA1985

A+. Favorite part: obviously we have some mobility issues, but that's going to be addressed.

hogmolar

I also love the fact about having a Yoga instructor on staff. Flexibility is huge in sports but often overlooked. Also talking about lateral quickness needed in football versus vertical quickness saying that is needed in track was awesome.

Wild Boarnado

I am very impressed by Trumain Carroll - loved how he spelled out the program. They are sure going to be busy.
"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

nwahogfan1

I am on board. He sold me.   Let's get football strong and develop football speed and mobility. Tru talked about the positions and each player will have specific drills and goals to meet.

I hope we hear about some of the testing results after the 6 weeks.  Do we have a birdie on the team that will talk????

BOAR_N2BWILD

Great press conference. I am excited about Trumain Carroll.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

OneTuskOverTheLine™

January 10, 2018, 11:33:36 pm #34 Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 11:51:51 pm by OneTuskOverTheLine™
Quote from: TebowHater on January 10, 2018, 03:49:10 pm
Literally 100% of the things you mention were said, verbatim, by Herb. Maybe we can even bring the plant back to show how important nutrition is. Did you ever watch us warm up or cool down under Herb? We did so much prehab. And they explored the shoe thing so thoroughly that we even sent guys up to Oregon to be evaluated by Nike.

This guy also was never at Clemson.

There really isn't that much to say about S&C - it is what it is. But if we are trying to be skinnier, it will just be interesting. When was the last time an SEC line averaged 270 lbs like CCM had at SMU (it may in fact be recent, i have no idea, just seems like probably never)? The lightest in 2016 (when we were biggest) was 295.

The guy said that they were not going to use a "Cookie Cutter" approach, and that "What worked at SMU won't work with the guys we have at Arkansas"... You can take that for what it's worth. The Yoga thing also seems like it will help those big dudes get way more flexible. That will not only help with injuries, but athleticism and balance as well.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

jgphillips3

Just not breaking the kids' feet will be a step in the right direction.  I like what I hear so far.

kodiakisland

Maybe we will also miss some of the weird foot injuries.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Pork Twain

January 11, 2018, 01:43:23 am #37 Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 03:31:35 am by Pork Twain

Have you not spent any amount of time with strength/speed training.  Nothing about that says skinny and therefore this assessment does not mean a lot.  How did that Clemson defense look?  Looked strong and fast to me...  It is not a secret that the success to defenses in the SEC is the speed and one of the biggest knocks on CBB was how slow our teams were compared to the competition.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

#1 STUNNA

speed... you either have it.. or youre chasing it...

razorbrass

Impressive- i'm ready to get started LOL
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

1-1-six hog

Sweet Lord a lot of takeaways for me:

1. He honors well above culture's standard. He spoke highly of previous staff and current peers on the staff now. He used proper and full names when needed (Jerry and Gene Jones Center). This is invaluable - when this is caught by the players it'll do wonders in life beyond football.

2. I loved he is keeping things under wraps to an extent. Even if it's minor stuff, it excites me that there's "secrets" that we have that don't start "Catfi" and end with "ole"

3. The knowledge of what he was talking about was undeniable...and even more impressive it wasn't just coach speak.

4. When he got in his "weight room" voice I subconsciously found myself sitting more upright in my chair with both feet firm to the floor. You scared me, sir. 

5. He makes me want to drink a protein shake.

DLUXHOG

"be fast in all directions"....   love this dude....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

jst01

Quote from: 1-1-six hog on January 11, 2018, 11:35:22 am

4. When he got in his "weight room" voice I subconsciously found myself sitting more upright in my chair with both feet firm to the floor. You scared me, sir. 

Yep, man has a voice and I bet he can motivate! I liked him saying "i'm who I need to be that day".

Grizzlyfan

Michigan just made Ben Herbert the highest paid S&C coach in college football.  Texas A & M just doubled Jerry Schmidt's (OU) salary.

This may become the latest arms race in college football.  A lot of guys can take players and get them in the 450 lb bench press club.  It's another thing to make players (especially defensive players) strong AND fast. 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ricepig

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 11, 2018, 02:39:39 pm
Michigan just made Ben Herbert the highest paid S&C coach in college football.  Texas A & M just doubled Jerry Schmidt's (OU) salary.

This may become the latest arms race in college football.  A lot of guys can take players and get them in the 450 lb bench press club.  It's another thing to make players (especially defensive players) strong AND fast. 

Iowa's and Bama's make about $100k more a year.

OnYourToes

Some things that jumped out to me:

1) Nutrition.  As others have mentioned, "Can'tout train a bad diet".  But also how he related nutrition to the overall sense of quickness and movement.  Changes in diet and on certain days; what a food can do for you.  I am sure the previous staff had this focus, but Coach Carroll put it in a way that supported the overall goal.  I bet a starting running back won't be eating HotFries and drinking Mt. Dew for breakfast

2) Recovery.  "How much they sleep".  The most underrated metric for health is sleep.  I bet they will monitor it and even coach to it. 

3) Yoga.  Along with recovery and sleep, stretching, breathing, balance, focus.  Having a certified yoga instructor on the staff will do wonders for everyone.  I like that he said "most people think Yoga is being in a hot room with tights on, but it is much more than that."  And it is.  I have taken Yoga classes and it has been recommended for my dad and mom with chronic back, knee, and neck pain.  Stretching and recovery go hand in hand.  Those players that really buy-in to the idea of Yoga will be miles ahead of those that don't

4) Individualized program for each athlete.  This is huge.  yes they will train together, yes they will all do the same drills, yes they will all do the same lifts.  But within each movement is the opportunity to focus the weight, transition, and strengthen various parts of the body.

I really enjoyed the PC and look for big changes in our team, for the better.

Oh yeah, possibly the end to foot injuries!
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

FraggleHog

Seems to have a clear cut vision. Love that he implements Yoga. Say what you will, but it is very underrated as an exercise and I think it will pay dividends when it comes to strength, flexibility and stamina/ injury aversion.
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Mike Irwin

It bothered me that he didn't mention the need for the players to squat 600-700 pounds. What happens in a game when an Arkansas O-lineman needs to hold a 300 pound defensive tackle and a 300 pound noseguard over his head with each arm and he can't do it?

Unacceptable.