Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Report: Vandy hires Mark Byington from James Madison

Started by jbcarol, March 25, 2024, 12:23:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Report: Vanderbilt to hire James Madison's Mark Byington as next head coach

by:
Thomas Goldkamp

QuoteVanderbilt Commodores are closing in on the hire of a new basketball coach following the firing of previous coach Jerry Stackhouse.

According to a report from analyst Jeff Goodman, Vanderbilt will hire James Madison head coach Mark Byington. Byington is fresh off a Round of 32 appearance in the NCAA Tournament with James Madison, having fallen to Duke to end the season.

Byington has been at James Madison for four seasons now, where he has helped orchestrate a remarkable turnaround.

Vanderbilt Commodores are closing in on the hire of a new basketball coach following the firing of previous coach Jerry Stackhouse.

In addition to the NCAA Tournament appearance this season, the 2022-23 campaign saw the Dukes win 22 games, the most for the program since the 1981-82 season had a program record 24. Before that campaign, Byington was named the Best X-and-O Coach in the Sun Belt...

In 2022-23, JMU set season records for total points (2,658), total rebounds (1,257), total steals (298) and steals per game (9.03), while the Dukes' scoring average of 80.5 points per game was the third-highest in their Division I history.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Vanderbilt hires James Madison's Mark Byington as next head coach

by:
Thomas Goldkamp

QuoteVanderbilt Commodores have finalized the hire of a new basketball coach following the firing of previous coach Jerry Stackhouse.

The program announced Monday evening that it has tabbed James Madison head coach Mark Byington to lead the program. He is fresh off a Round of 32 appearance in the NCAA Tournament:

"I'm thrilled and honored to be the head men's basketball coach at Vanderbilt University. I know Commodore fans are eager for success and we will get there together," Byington said in a press release. "I was blown away by the passion and enthusiasm of Vice Chancellor and Athletic Director Candice Storey Lee and Chancellor Daniel Diermeier. We share the same vision that Vanderbilt basketball belongs as one of the nation's elite programs. I look forward to meeting the fans, alumni, students and all of Commodore Nation. Our time is coming. Get ready!!!"

Byington has been at James Madison for four seasons now, where he has helped orchestrate a remarkable run.

In addition to the NCAA Tournament appearance this season, the 2022-23 campaign saw the Dukes win 22 games, the most for the program since the 1981-82 season had a program record 24. Before that campaign, Byington was named the Best X-and-O Coach in the Sun Belt

Byington has previous coaching stops at Georgia Southern (head coach), Virginia Tech (assistant coach), College of Charleston (interim coach and assistant coach), Virginia (director of operations and graduate manager) and Hargrave Military Academy (assistant coach).
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

tophawg19

I don't know how well he can recruit but he is a good coach. They made a good hire
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

jbcarol

Hustler: Reactions to Mark Byington's hiring as Vanderbilt Men's Basketball head coach

QuoteMark Byington — the former head coach at James Madison University — was hired as Vanderbilt's next Men's Basketball head coach on March 25. The news quickly made the rounds:

Follow Tracy Wolfson
@tracywolfson
·

After working this weekend with former @JMUMBasketball HC Mark Byington I was so impressed with how he ran his program, the way he coached and how he built chemistry with his team. Not surprised by this move- a great one for @VandyMBB
6:28 PM · Mar 25, 2024

Chris Dortch
@cdortch
·

So what can @VandyMBB expect from a Mark Byington-coached team? Pressure. Per KenPom, James Madison was 19th in DI in steals percentage. Also 5th in 3PT FG defense; that's huge in today's game. Offensively, Dukes were 47 in 2PT% and 61 in 3PT%. Balanced.
2:36 PM · Mar 25, 2024

Wes Rucker
@wesrucker247
·

Dude's a good coach.

Shan Foster
@shanfoster_32
·

Welcome to Nashville!

Vanderbilt Men's Basketball
@VandyMBB
A proven program builder. A winner.

Welcome to Nashville, head coach Mark Byington!

📰 | https://vucommodores.com/vanderbilt-names-mark-byington-head-basketball-coach

#AnchorDown⚓️