Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many more years will HDN be the Head Coach at Arkansas? (10 or 2 more)

Started by TulsaHawg, January 25, 2006, 06:46:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TulsaHawg

As Hawgonit said, the future is very bright!  HDN has made some great moves and has the program set up to push forward. 

He is now the longest tenured Head Football Coach at UA since JFB.  How many more years do you predict that he will stay in that capacity? 1 year?  5 years? 10 years?  More?

If next year is as successful as many of us believe it will be, I think HDN will be set up to stay for at least 5 more years if he so chooses.

idochog

In order for HDN to stay longer he needs to do some significant purging of his Murray St. mafia.

I love Jesus!

PigKahuna

He'll be here another 5 years, OR will leave after the next big-time offer.

I'm not sure I would blame him.

othermac

after the next 2 years, nutt and his staff are going to be the toast of the sec...it will be interesting to see how we handle things when someone goes after malazahn.....man would that send the darksiders over the edge if he got hired away after 2 years?
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

ENHOG

\\\"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do.\\\"

ugh

Quote from: Bogarto on January 25, 2006, 07:19:16 am
He is like a third world dicatator who has been elected for life and awards himselfs numerous raises and medals. I hate Nutt as much as any of the darksiders on this board but I have to give him credit for being able to turn mediocre job performance into top dollar salary and job security. I say hes here until the next time a Nebraska or LSU comes calling if that ever happens again.
Why do you hate Nutt so bad?

hogfan064

What I hope for is Nutt to be coach for 5 great years, become AD, and Gus takes over as coach.  If this occurs that means our football program has won some big football games.  Some of you hope for Nutt to fail and be fired. That makes no sense to me.  Why would a Hog fan wish his/her program to decline?

Chappeee

For Nutt to be able to stay as long as he wants, without any resistance, he is going to have to do something he has not done before.  He is going to have to have a season unlike he as ever had.  Simply stopping the losing seasons is not going to be enough.  He is going to have to win some games he has not been able to win before.

TulsaHawg

He is like a third world dicatator who has been elected for life and awards himselfs numerous raises and medals. I hate Nutt as much as any of the darksiders on this board but I have to give him credit for being able to turn mediocre job performance into top dollar salary and job security. I say hes here until the next time a Nebraska or LSU comes calling if that ever happens again.

Two points of rebuttal:

1. He doesn't award himself "numerous raises and medals".  Any raises in his compensation must come from those in authority above him.  Haven't heard of HDN receiving any "medals".  He was selected as "SEC Coach of the year in 2001", but I am quite certain he didn't award himself that title either.

2. His compensation package, valued at $1.2-$1.5 million, is not "top dollar" anymore.  I haven't looked at the SEC coaches' compensation values recently, but the last numbers I saw, placed HDN's compensation about in the middle in the SEC.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogfan064 on January 25, 2006, 08:19:33 am
Some of you hope for Nutt to fail and be fired. That makes no sense to me. Why would a Hog fan wish his/her program to decline?

When drawing up plans for the invasion of Normandy, I'm sure it occurred to Eisenhower that thousands of American GIs would be killed while storming the beaches.  Yet he proceeded with the plan anyway...

Why would an American general deliberately formulate and carry out a plan that he knew would result in the deaths of so many young American soldiers?

Maybe it had something to do with making a short term sacrifice for the long term greater good...like maybe the whole "retaking Europe from the Nazis" thing, you know?

I think maybe you also need to look at your definition of Nutt "failing"...or, on the flip side, Nutt "succeeding".  If you considering losing at least four games in each of the last seven seasons to be "success", then I guess Nutt's coaching makes you just as happy as a pig in slop.

I guess I aspire to more than the 6-6, 7-5, 9-5, 9-4, 5-6, and 4-7 seasons we've seen this century.

Hell, as Hog fans we've already had to live through non-winning seasons in three of the last six years.  If I have to put up with one more losing season in order to get Nutt out and bring a competent head coach in...what's the big deal?

It's not like we've been USC...or even LSU or Auburn...for the last few years, anyway.  In case you haven't noticed, we're 5-11 in the SEC the last two years.  The five teams we've beaten have a combined SEC record of 10-30 during that time.  The two we beat last year were a combined 2-14...

How much worse can it get compared to what we already have?  If you've already sat through 5-6 and 4-7 without feeling humiliated and pissed off, what difference will one more pathetic season make...especially if it would bring about change in the form of a head coach who doesn't have to be led around by the hand by JFB and Jim Lindsey?

hogfan064

So you'd rather have a 5-7 year next year and get rid of Nutt than have a 11-2 season next year and a couple SEC Championships after that?   That makes no sense.  I'm not saying that's what's going to happen, but that's what I want to happen.  I'd like to see HDN do well.  I wish no harm on any man.  He's not a bad person.  You might not agree with his coaching or some of the things he says or does, but that doesn't make him a terrible person.  I hope he does very good next year, if not then yes we need a change.  I think even HDN would agree a 3rd straight losing season is time for a change.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: Bogarto on January 25, 2006, 09:09:06 am
Quote from: TulsaHawg on January 25, 2006, 08:27:35 am

Two points of rebuttal:

1. He doesn't award himself "numerous raises and medals". Any raises in his compensation must come from those in authority above him. Haven't heard of HDN receiving any "medals". He was selected as "SEC Coach of the year in 2001", but I am quite certain he didn't award himself that title either.

2. His compensation package, valued at $1.2-$1.5 million, is not "top dollar" anymore. I haven't looked at the SEC coaches' compensation values recently, but the last numbers I saw, placed HDN's compensation about in the middle in the SEC.

1- The medals were an analogy not literal. Nutt "awards" himself "medals" by taking responsibilty for any good that happens but then on the flip side when something goes wrong it is not on him.
2- His salary may be in the middle of the SEC, why aren't we in the middle of the SEC? How many other coaches in the history of Arkansas have had back to back losing seasons and still had a job and a raise? Or been unranked 6 striaght years?

Well, Fred Thomsen had back to back losing seasons in 1930, 1931, and 1932 with 3-6,, 3-5-1, and 1-6-2  records.  Then he had four straight losing seasons in 38, 39, 40, and 41. He coached the Hogs for 13 seasons.

Boner

Quote from: hogfan064 on January 25, 2006, 08:41:51 am
So you'd rather have a 5-7 year next year and get rid of Nutt than have a 11-2 season next year and a couple SEC Championships after that? That makes no sense. I'm not saying that's what's going to happen, but that's what I want to happen. I'd like to see HDN do well. I wish no harm on any man. He's not a bad person. You might not agree with his coaching or some of the things he says or does, but that doesn't make him a terrible person. I hope he does very good next year, if not then yes we need a change. I think even HDN would agree a 3rd straight losing season is time for a change.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I would rather have an 11 win season.

HOWEVER, I would rather have a 5 win season that brings about change, than have a 7 win season that keeps the stautus quo.

I think everyone wants us to get to the point where we can have an 11 win season.  If Nutt can do that, then 99% will swallow their pride and be happy.  But if we see the same old, same old, 6 to 8 wins, many think we'd be better off with a change.

So how long will Nutt be here?  That is up to him.  The "acceptable" excuses are all gone.  Its time for results.

Marshfieldhog

He's gone next year whether he wins or loses..if we loses well he will finally get canned..if he wins he bolts for another job after being forced to make changes he did not want to make. The gray area would be 8 regular season wins and 4 bad losses, not enough to get him fired but not enough to make other schools want him.

hogoh

WILL CLINTON

Some of you hope for Nutt to fail and be fired.

Some of us want the best of both worlds.  He win big next year, then still move on.  If he listened to Nebraska, then assured himself a payraise and a 2 year "I really dont have to work to get paid" pass, then wanted LSU to make him the only candidate, he will certainly look and look hard at new coaching opportunities next year.  We can only pray that he takes one somewhere.  He needs to be somewhere that the expectations are not that high, so he can stay middle of the pack. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

excoach

Nutt will be the coach at Arkansas until JFB and JL decide it's time for him to go!

PigPusher

He is beginning to become a CEO.  With that and the other coaches bringing him success he will stay as long as he wants.  Over time if we start winning he Will be written down in the book as one of the greatest.  Not because he will be just because he began to deiegate.  This approach made Coach Broyles that kind of coach and gave him the fame he enjoys today.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Call Mr. Sow

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: PigPusher on January 25, 2006, 09:57:30 am
He is beginning being forced to become a CEO. With that and the other coaches bringing him success he will stay as long as he wants. Over time if we start winning he Will be written down in the book as one of the greatest. Not because he will be just because he began was forced to deiegate. This approach made Coach Broyles that kind of coach and gave him the fame he enjoys today.

Had to fix a couple of things for you. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

wildhogman

Quote from: dubyacee on January 25, 2006, 09:23:38 am
Some of you hope for Nutt to fail and be fired.

Some of us want the best of both worlds. He win big next year, then still move on. If he listened to Nebraska, then assured himself a payraise and a 2 year "I really dont have to work to get paid" pass, then wanted LSU to make him the only candidate, he will certainly look and look hard at new coaching opportunities next year. We can only pray that he takes one somewhere. He needs to be somewhere that the expectations are not that high, so he can stay middle of the pack.
I wonder what peoples expectations were of our beloved Hogs after 1997 and 7 years of craziness and only one season in which we has a winning record.

sowmonella

8 more years. Then on to a different posistion at the UofA.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hogsNbeer

For JFB sake, I hope not much longer >:(      We'll never win with him...... and we sure don't need his 'bruthaness' as AD either.....
But I do agree with the other poster.....It's up to JFB and Lindsey........very sad state we hogfans are in at the moment......very sad, indeed