Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A team with a good coach can turn it around in the same season

Started by HognotinMemphis, March 14, 2009, 08:43:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

See Auburn for prime example.

I think Pel appears to be lost as to how to correct anything.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Marshfieldhog

Yep, another year of Pel is another year we are setback to reaching even close to where we were. Maybe Pel will get the UK job and we will ba bailed out, they think he is da man in UK land.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 14, 2009, 08:43:39 am

I agree with you completely on the 1-2 year turn-around in College Basketball. Tubby Smith is a prime example. I am NOT bashing Pel, but do have concerns. If we don't make the NCAAT after year 3, it will sure feel to me like we have went backwards since Heath pulled together a team at least good enough to make the tourney 3 years in a row.

want2be

I am interested in Long's opinion and what specific goals and guidelines he puts into place after he and Pel meet later this month.

lovetthog1

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 14, 2009, 08:49:47 am
Yep, another year of Pel is another year we are setback to reaching even close to where we were. Maybe Pel will get the UK job and we will ba bailed out, they think he is da man in UK land.

Do you really think UK will offer Pel ? Ha

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: lovetthog1 on March 14, 2009, 10:59:59 am
Do you really think UK will offer Pel ? Ha

It would be a dream come true. We'd get rid of what many believe to be a problem, and we don't look like the bad guys for letting him go. And, Gillespie may just come too.

shankin6

Ya... but... I wonder what Pel would do with a 6'7" SR forward that could put up 13 points and 10 boards a game, and a back court boasting two EXPERIENCED Juniors (Reed and Waller).  Not to mention in terms of minutes played 7 of the 8 guys in their rotation are Juniors or Seniors.  The only Freshman that logs significant minutes is Sullivan.  We would START 4 Freshman if Henry had his head on straight half the time. 

donewithdale

Is this a freaking joke?  I thought your were a basketball expert given your fandom of what you consider the elite program and coach in college basketball right now.  If there is one program that is a perfect example of how long a rebuild takes its Auburn. 

midwestcityhog

are you insane?  auburn has been "rebuilding" since 2001.  jeff lebo probably would have been fired if auburn was bad this year.

here's lebo's rebuilding effort at auburn

14-17 4-12 fifth place
12-16 4-12 fifth place
17-15 7-9 third place 
14-16 4-12 sixth place 
21-10 10-6 second place

to put it mildly, pel in his 'down year', won as many or more games than THREE (almost FOUR) of lebo's years.    pel won more sec & secT games with the townes group last year than any of lebo's years.   pel won more games last year than lebo ever has even this year of "Turning it around"

future advice:  jeff lebo is not at all a candidate you should ever talk about when mentioning "Quick rebuilding"

LOL   4-12   4-12  7-9   4-12  10-6          SPEED RACER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 14, 2009, 01:03:08 pm
are you insane?  auburn has been "rebuilding" since 2001.  jeff lebo probably would have been fired if auburn was bad this year.

14-17 4-12 fifth place
12-16 4-12 fifth place
17-15 7-9 third place 
14-16 4-12 sixth place 
21-10 10-6 second place

to put it mildly, pel in his 'down year', won as many or more games than THREE (almost FOUR) of lebo's years.    pel won more sec & secT games with the townes group last year than any of lebo's years.   pel won more games last year than lebo ever has even this year of "Turning it around"

future advice:  jeff lebo is not at all a candidate you should ever talk about when mentioning "Quick rebuilding"

LOL   4-12   4-12  7-9   4-12  10-6          SPEED RACER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I specifically stated "in same season". Auburn started this year badly. They turned it around mid-season. That is all. Beef it up as you want until you feel better.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Smokehouse

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 14, 2009, 01:27:21 pm
I specifically stated "in same season". Auburn started this year badly. They turned it around mid-season. That is all. Beef it up as you want until you feel better.

Lebo did do an excellent job this year, but there is something to be said for the fact that he didn't turn it around mid season in previous years. The pieces on the team can have an effect on the ability to turn it around. (of course, it's up to the coach to have the right pieces on the team.)
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

The Boar War

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 14, 2009, 01:03:08 pm

14-17 4-12 fifth place
12-16 4-12 fifth place
17-15 7-9 third place 
14-16 4-12 sixth place 
21-10 10-6 second place

to put it mildly, pel in his 'down year', won as many or more games than THREE (almost FOUR) of lebo's years.    pel won more sec & secT games with the townes group last year than any of lebo's years.   pel won more games last year than lebo ever has even this year of "Turning it around"

LOL   4-12   4-12  7-9   4-12  10-6          SPEED RACER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm definitely not a proponent for Lebo but we need to look at our wins this season.  We had two quality wins in Oklahoma and Texas.  Many of the teams we played in the out of conference schedule had no wins when we played them.  You also might want to look at the conference wins for Lebo.  In his down years he had twice as many conference wins as we had this year.