Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Couple of Interesting Statements in Wally Hall's Column Today

Started by WilsonHog, March 14, 2009, 08:16:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

"Meddling" by an AD is not something easily defined.

For example, I don't believe an AD ought to be dictating which assistant should be hired, but I believe it is perfectly reasonable given the right set of facts to dictate which should go.

I don't believe an AD ought to dictate strategy or personnel, but I do believe an AD ought to suggest the removal of a player who won't get right.

If an AD gets information that a recruit is trouble, it's certainly appropriate to let the coach know we will not be offering that young man a scholarship to our university.   

Smokehouse

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 14, 2009, 05:20:10 pm
"Meddling" by an AD is not something easily defined.

For example, I don't believe an AD ought to be dictating which assistant should be hired, but I believe it is perfectly reasonable given the right set of facts to dictate which should go.

I don't believe an AD ought to dictate strategy or personnel, but I do believe an AD ought to suggest the removal of a player who won't get right.

If an AD gets information that a recruit is trouble, it's certainly appropriate to let the coach know we will not be offering that young man a scholarship to our university.  

and I don't think it's ever been unusual for an AD to dictate the firing of an assistant. Heck, after a season such as these coaches are usually scrambling to fire assistants.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

HoopS

No, I'm not positive on the timing of that hire.  Just thought Long did it.  I may be wrong. 

hoglady

What was Nolan's record his first 2 years here?
If Hogville had been in existence then would everyone have wanted him fired?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

WilsonHog

Quote from: hoglady on March 14, 2009, 05:38:13 pm

Nolan's first team was 12-16 overall and 4-12 in the SWC. His second team was 19-14 overall and 8-8 in the SWC, and those Hogs advanced to the second round of the NIT. Third year his team went 21-9 and 11-5 and lost in the first round of the NCAAs.

I was in law school at UA at the time. Everyone I knew realized that Nolan didn't have the players in year one to fit his system. Nevertheless, it was obvious his team was making progress.

Plus he was dealing with Yvonne's sickness and death at the time.         

Marshfieldhog

I was around during Nolan's first 2 years and I've been around for Pel's first 2 years....Pel is no Nolan!!!

hawgbawb

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 14, 2009, 12:38:37 pm
So what is supposedly wrong with Clarke's D?  He is just as quick as basically anyone else on the team, plays D on his toes, and doesn't get burned any more often than Welsh, Fortson, or Britt.
Short with short arms and not much hop
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

hogfan x

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 14, 2009, 06:22:00 pm
I was around during Nolan's first 2 years and I've been around for Pel's first 2 years....Pel is no Nolan!!!

I have to agree. (I hope we are both wrong)
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it." - Lou Holtz, Arkansas

forrest city joe

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 14, 2009, 06:22:00 pm
Bingo. your post is right on the money. and it's not even close!

Oliver

Quote from: hoglady on March 14, 2009, 05:38:13 pm

I love how people keep bringing up this point.  I was about 4 years old during those years so I don't remember.  What I have read is a story by Wilsonhog about how Frank Broyles was beyond red in the face over us losing late in a game to ASU in the NIT.  There were fans that were calling Nolan Richardson racial slurs during the game.  And I'm sure after the successful years our program had with Eddie Sutton, EVERYONE was upset over how we were doing with Nolan at the time.  Hogville, the internet, or whatever...I'm sure that just about EVERY Arkansan was upset and wouldn't have raised any sort of a stink over firing Nolan at the time.  So let's not blame Hogville for the "new fad" of wanting coaches fired. 

Now, would firing Nolan have been a good choice for us?  In retrospect, not at all.  But outside of records, I find it extremely hard to compare Nolan's situation to Pel's current situation.

BigHog396

hei5manhog

Quote from: BigHog396 on March 14, 2009, 12:38:37 pm
So what is supposedly wrong with Clarke's D?  He is just as quick as basically anyone else on the team, plays D on his toes, and doesn't get burned any more often than Welsh, Fortson, or Britt.

It's not that any of them are terrible on-ball defenders, they just get shot over.
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

mhuff

Long may just be playing the political game. If he fires Pel after this year, it will take 10 years to rebuild.

lovetthog1

Quote from: mhuff on March 14, 2009, 07:33:13 pm
Long may just be playing the political game. If he fires Pel after this year, it will take 10 years to rebuild.

There is no way it would take 10 years.

lovetthog1

Besides at this rate it will take Pel 10 years to get into the tourney.

SLC

Quote from: tahlahog on March 14, 2009, 09:40:16 am
What does AD Long know about Basketball, I know he is probably a fan, but I thought he was more of a business man,  Does anyone know if he has any coaching experience in the past, what advice and coaching tips could he give, to improve the team and coaching? 

Long was a football coach, but basketball is not nuclear fusion.  The homework Long has to do is about the off-the-court incidents, possible NCAA investigation, chemistry issues, assistant coaches, etc.....

I believe Long was the AD at Pitt that hired Jamie Dixon, who I think everyone in Razorback Country would do backflips to have coach our team.
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

SLC

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 14, 2009, 06:31:31 pm
I love how people keep bringing up this point.  I was about 4 years old during those years so I don't remember.  What I have read is a story by Wilsonhog about how Frank Broyles was beyond red in the face over us losing late in a game to ASU in the NIT.  There were fans that were calling Nolan Richardson racial slurs during the game.  And I'm sure after the successful years our program had with Eddie Sutton, EVERYONE was upset over how we were doing with Nolan at the time.  Hogville, the internet, or whatever...I'm sure that just about EVERY Arkansan was upset and wouldn't have raised any sort of a stink over firing Nolan at the time.  So let's not blame Hogville for the "new fad" of wanting coaches fired. 

Now, would firing Nolan have been a good choice for us?  In retrospect, not at all.  But outside of records, I find it extremely hard to compare Nolan's situation to Pel's current situation.

Nolan's situation and results were different.  You could see progress being made, despite dealing with hostile fans and more importantly, his daughters terminal illness. 
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

BigHog396

Quote from: hei5manhog on March 14, 2009, 07:14:47 pm
It's not that any of them are terrible on-ball defenders, they just get shot over.
Well, from listening to many on here, you would think Rotnei was standing in wet concrete on the defensive end, and that whoever he was defending went for 30 every night.  That simply was not the case, and his defense was not a liability.  Just trying to get some real analysis out of some of the people constantly talking trash.

The getting shot over part was due to having to play 3 sub-6'2" players nearly continually all year.  It's tough to defend with a group that short.  You nearly have to play zone, and that leads to giving up the easy 3 and not being able to block out for rebounding.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Karma on March 14, 2009, 08:09:26 pm
Oliver, we beat A-State in Nolan's second year.

Thanks in a big part to the refs...not that im bitter or anything
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Boarcephus

Trying to work "mhuff" into "Chuck Barrett" and coming up a bit short even though they have to be one and the same.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

donewithdale

Quote from: HoopS on March 14, 2009, 04:48:35 pm
Long hired the coach that has Pitt as a power in the best conference in the country.

Long hired Ben Howland?

HogBreath

Quote from: chiefsfan on March 14, 2009, 08:21:10 pm
Thanks in a big part to the refs...not that im bitter or anything
refs smeffs...the squaws choked
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

forrest city joe

Pure nonesense. this team went 2 and 15 in sec play. things could not get much worse no matter who we hire.

HogBreath

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 14, 2009, 09:48:49 pm
Pure nonesense. this team went 2 and 15 in sec play. things could not get much worse no matter who we hire.
It was 7-10 counting moral victories, Joe.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Rib Meat

hoglady

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 14, 2009, 06:31:31 pm

You took that wrong. I wasn't blaming Hogville at all. This is just a forum that wasn't around during Nolan's early years. If it had been, it would have been lit up like a Christmas tree with folks calling for his firing. I know what people were saying those years and many fans wanted him fired.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

N HOG

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 14, 2009, 09:48:49 pm

Are potential forfeits for this year out of the question?

Could get worse.

momahog

I've noticed there are not ANY posts of late that seem worried that Pel might bolt for Kentucky? Would anyone care?

Oliver

Quote from: momahog on March 14, 2009, 11:59:11 pm
I've noticed there are not ANY posts of late that seem worried that Pel might bolt for Kentucky? Would anyone care?

I'd love it if he did.  I think there is 0% chance that Kentucky is interested.  I'd be slightly worried if Pelphrey did bolt for Kentucky because it would mean 1 of 2 things...

1.  The Kentucky higher-ups are insane.
2.  If Kentucky is getting Pelphrey to replace Gillispie, we're going to have a tough coaching search.

chiefsfan

Quote from: N HOG on March 14, 2009, 11:34:08 pm
Are potential forfeits for this year out of the question?

Could get worse.

There will be no forefits.  I believe the understanding was that he was eligible when he played
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

N HOG

Quote from: chiefsfan on March 15, 2009, 12:11:25 am
There will be no forefits.  I believe the understanding was that he was eligible when he played

Huh?

The action that made him ineligible came right after the last game he played?

That makes no sense.

Long is the AD.  He should talk to every HC at Arkansas at the very least annually to get a perspective on their thinking, goals and intentions.  I doubt he is planning on hiring or firing assistant coaches.  Putting an old days player on as a coach makes about as much sense as a hog wearing a watch.  Coaches should always be chosen for their ability to either coach or recruit or bring in money.  I can't think of any past player that could add much to that behond perhaps a short time spike in the money department.  I can see a potential recruit saying, now you are who?  You played at Arkansas in the old days way back in 1994.  This Pelphery fellow, did he coach back then too.  Gosh, he looks younger than that to me.  What music did you Guys have on your ipod back then? 

razorvision

I seriously doubt John Pelphrey will be shown the door after just completing his second year at Arkansas. In lieu of what has been stated by a few over zealous fans on this board, Coach Pel seems to have a firm understanding of how important the success of Razorback basketball is to the State of Arkansas. If given time, I have confidence that Coach Pel can get the program back on track. The guy has been mentored by some of the most successful coaches in the game of basketball. Yet there are some on this board, who feel like Coach Pel, just left the ranks of High School basketball or some prep school program.  Amazing!

I think it's time for some on this board to take a deep breath and just relax. Stop trying to point fingers and let Pel try and figure it out.  He knows what it takes to win and has learned from some of the best in the game. If there is no improvement next year, then I suspect we all will see some changes. Until then, why not try and show a little support for the coach we have now?

Go Hogs!
Visit www.rsgcommunications.ws and save big on digital services for your home or office.

Hoggy1

I'm getting tired of seeing the Pelphrey references to Nolan.

Nolan's teams gradually got better.....and when a fanbase see's obvious improvement, the majority will show patience and give the coach time.  Why is everyone so happy about CBP?  I'll tell you

The football team got better EVERY game last year, we had obvious sputters along the way, but Petrino showed he has a vice grip on this football program and is making every step necessary to make us a national powerhouse.  Just check the 2009 recruiting class, best in school history.  Check his system, check the track record.  Petrino is a proven winner and is doing everything right.  That is why people are so optimistic about football, we can actually SEE the progress being made on and off the field.

Now, Pelphrey steadily coached this basketball team to an amazing 2-15 finish to the season.  Off court issues dug us deeper and deeper into a hole of mediocrity, and Pelphrey has shown NOTHING to prove he has a grip of this basketball program. 

Everyone says it can't get much worse, I disagree.  Things surrounding the hoops team are hanging by a fine thread right now.  What happens if Henry leaves?  Washington goes pro?  Powell doesn't qualify?  Everyone comes back next year with the same attitude? 

That would leave us with the weakest team in school history next year, Sanchez and Moore/Clark or Borden playing down low.  C'mon Hog fans, tell me how pumped that makes you about next year.  Pelphrey and staff have proven they can't close the deal on solid recruits.  And it's obvious if you don't have the talent...you can't win games.

Pelphrey has shown absolutely nothing to warrant the "more time" excuse, yet he has done everything to earn every single bit of criticism he is receiving.

We have digressed fast and hard over this season.  and nothing, I mean NOTHING points to a brighter future.

I would like for someone to tell me 3 positives Pelphrey has made since stepping on campus.

I would love to hear some good news.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin