Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's Take a Look at Washington, Fortson, and Welsh

Started by WilsonHog, March 13, 2009, 05:15:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

March 13, 2009, 05:15:38 pm Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 05:20:13 pm by WilsonHog
Michael Washington - Averaged 15.5 ppg and 9.8 rebounds per game (T-5th best single season percentge in school history). His 294 boards tied him for the 4th most rebounds in a single season in school history. His FG% of .553 was a team high, as were his 39 blocks. Certainly deserving of All-SEC status, we'll have maybe the best big man in the league if he returns for his senior season.

Courtney Fortson - He shot .424 from the field and led the team in field goal attempts with 363. He was 31 of 100 (.310) from 3-point range and 91 of 151 (.603) from the line. He was second on the team in rebounding average (5.5 rpg). He led the team with 172 assists (ninth on the single-season assist list) and 128 turnover (a ratio of 1.34:1). I would love to know what Lee Mayberry's, Corey Beck's, and Kareem Reid's ratio was their freshman seasons. As point guards go, I would much prefer that his assist/turnover ratio was better, that he took fewer shots, and that he shot a much higher percentage from the foul line.

Stephan Welsh - Shot .362 from the field (118 of 326, 2nd most attempts on the team) and .307 from behind the arc (51 of 166). He also shot .633 from the line (57 of 90). He had 64 assists, but 66 turnovers, and his minutes dwindled as the season went on. Other than the ability to occasionally get hot from 3-point range, I don't see the upside of Welsh.       

TOM "tbw1"

Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Boarcephus

this just goes to show how poor your team and bench is when a player of Welsh's ability shoots the ball 326 times and played the minutes he played.  Based on the games I've watched this year, there is not another team in the SEC Welsh could have played for and had these stats.

Fortson and Washington have talent you can work with, they just need a little help and guidance.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

arkmark

Nice write up.  Dead on for Wash.  He needs another big to play with him in the paint and show some offensive ability to take some of the double and triple teams away from him and allow him some space.  Having another body down there then allows Dirty to spell the bigs for short breathers so they can finish stronger.  Get that and we will have the best big man in the league.

Fortson may be much improved next year just by getting another year to mature as a player and as a person.  Hopefully, Henry won't be back, but if he is Pel would do Fortson a favor and find Henry a residence somewhere around Bella Vista and get him the heck away from Fortson.  Not saying Henry is the root problem but those two rooming together does not seem to be a good combination.  Fortson needs to work in the off season to get his FT % up around 75-80 minimum.  Could of made a difference in some games and will in the future. 

Welsh is Welsh.  What you saw this year is what you'll have next year.  With luck Britt will continue to take minutes from Welsh and there will be one or two new players who can take another 5 to 10 minutes a game for themselves.  Then Pel can tell Walsh to enjoy his last year on a free ride, hit the books, get a degree and keep his mouth shut.  I really believe Steph could be a formidable 7th or 8th man off the bench within 2 to 21/2 min. spots.

Smokehouse

Welsh needs to be what he was able to be the last few years, a guy that rides the bench, comes in to spell someone and gets to stay in on the nights when he's hot (like last year's SEC tournament.)

Totally agree with your final assessment of Fortson. Do we think with a true center to take some passes inside Fortson would take less attempts? (or at least be more successful with the attempts he takes?)
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

A lot depends on Washington staying and then becoming the leader on the floor.  Fortson needs a great backup so when he isn't playing team ball he can sit and watch a bit.  Clarke needs to create open shots and improve his defense or sit also.  Clark, Moore, and Sanchez need to get better or hunt other places to play.  Welsh would make a great sub that played when he was on and sit the rest of the time.  Britt will likely improve and play more next year.  Henry is the best player we currently have but needs to leave if he isn't pleased to follow the rules and become a first round pick in 2 or 3 years.  The new players need to be there and play to potential and we'll have a very respectable team next year likely reaching the second week of the NCAA tourny.  All that is a lot to ask.  Its doable but unlikely.

BigoBoys

threeNout

I'll add that Rotnei Clarke turned into our best offensive player by year's end. At least he seemed the most consistant and reliable at getting points on the board the last 10 games, and he was creating his own shots.

Washington, Sanchez, Fortson and Clarke, those 4 I feel pretty good about as being the core for next year's team.

Britt and others can improve and fill in, plus whoever else we are going to add.

I hate it about Henry, I wish whatever his issues were could be corrected, he seemed to have a LOT of BB talent.

hawgsav1

Welsh has a lot of talent, but I do agree that he regressed as the season went on.  He was instrumental in our early season success (particularly against Texass), but things just didn't work out for whatever reason..  I don't think it was ever a lack of hustle or desire, but just that he would take boneheaded shots here and there.  He's also playing out of position when he has to spell Fortson at the point.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

threeNout

I think the whole problem with the season wasn't so much a lack of talent like we've been suggesting.

I think a big part of it was the chemistry and confidence being blown apart by off the court issues and the deal with Monk.

We had chemistry earlier, it seemed to improve with Monk, but our confidence was more fragile then we imagined. Once it shattered Pel couldn't put the pieces back together again.

Like a tailspin we couldn't pull out of, then both wings break off.

dunnhead

When Welsh accepts his role he's a pretty decent player.  Unfortunately, he doesn't like to accept his role.
This is just my opinion, but I don't see Henry coming back next year.  He and Pelphrey are like oil and water.

Smokehouse

Quote from: threeNout on March 13, 2009, 09:48:22 pm
I'll add that Rotnei Clarke turned into our best offensive player by year's end. At least he seemed the most consistant and reliable at getting points on the board the last 10 games, and he was creating his own shots.

Washington, Sanchez, Fortson and Clarke, those 4 I feel pretty good about as being the core for next year's team.

Britt and others can improve and fill in, plus whoever else we are going to add.

I hate it about Henry, I wish whatever his issues were could be corrected, he seemed to have a LOT of BB talent.

you feel good about Sanchez? I love the guy's effort, but I cringe whenever the ball gets thrown his direction. He's had some good moments, most recently the first half against Florida, but then has some of the weirdest gaffes - such as somehow losing a pretty soft pass out of bounds despite not being guarded at all.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

threeNout

Quote from: Smokehouse on March 13, 2009, 10:27:03 pm
you feel good about Sanchez? I love the guy's effort, but I cringe whenever the ball gets thrown his direction. He's had some good moments, most recently the first half against Florida, but then has some of the weirdest gaffes - such as somehow losing a pretty soft pass out of bounds despite not being guarded at all.

yea, I feel good about Sanchez. I've seen the bad moments too but that happens with first year players on what proved to be a disfunctional team.

If we can add players and get it all together, I feel good about Sanchez being a intergal part of a good team.

Smokehouse

Quote from: threeNout on March 13, 2009, 10:42:49 pm
yea, I feel good about Sanchez. I've seen the bad moments too but that happens with first year players on what proved to be a disfunctional team.

If we can add players and get it all together, I feel good about Sanchez being a intergal part of a good team.

he is a first year player, but I just didn't see any kind of dramatic improvement over the season that leads me to believe it's going to be dramatically different next year. Maybe a decent bench player, but I just don't see him as a solid starter.

Oklahawg

Can anyone provide the number of assists by Welsh that resulted in Rotnei Clarke scoring points?

I'd bet good money it's under 10 total for the season.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Smokehouse

Quote from: Oklahawg on March 13, 2009, 11:02:35 pm
Can anyone provide the number of assists by Welsh that resulted in Rotnei Clarke scoring points?

that'd be a hard figure to come up with, but as someone that was at every home game I can say the underlying assumption is correct.

hawgsav1

Quote from: Oklahawg on March 13, 2009, 11:02:35 pm

Considering his average was only 2.1 assists per game this season, I'm betting that's not enough of a statistical sample to suggest that Welsh has some 'issue' with Clarke.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

jackflash

For me the biggest problem this team has. Outside of Washington is the lack of junior or seniors who can play. Know one likes a 2-14 conference record not even coach Pel. The lack of recruiting before coach Pel got here is the reason for this season to me.

want2be

Fortson did not improve in any aspect this year............If anything he got worse except he did not shoot as many 3's

Same for Welsh.......he needs to shoot more 10-15 footer and take it inside more.........He should have been suspended for tripping the player at Vandy.

If Washington comes back and Powell makes it to campus, along with major improvement from Moore, Clark, and Sanchez our front court will be a force next year.

donewithdale

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 13, 2009, 05:15:38 pm
Michael Washington - Averaged 15.5 ppg and 9.8 rebounds per game (T-5th best single season percentge in school history). His 294 boards tied him for the 4th most rebounds in a single season in school history. His FG% of .553 was a team high, as were his 39 blocks. Certainly deserving of All-SEC status, we'll have maybe the best big man in the league if he returns for his senior season.

Courtney Fortson - He shot .424 from the field and led the team in field goal attempts with 363. He was 31 of 100 (.310) from 3-point range and 91 of 151 (.603) from the line. He was second on the team in rebounding average (5.5 rpg). He led the team with 172 assists (ninth on the single-season assist list) and 128 turnover (a ratio of 1.34:1). I would love to know what Lee Mayberry's, Corey Beck's, and Kareem Reid's ratio was their freshman seasons. As point guards go, I would much prefer that his assist/turnover ratio was better, that he took fewer shots, and that he shot a much higher percentage from the foul line.

Stephan Welsh - Shot .362 from the field (118 of 326, 2nd most attempts on the team) and .307 from behind the arc (51 of 166). He also shot .633 from the line (57 of 90). He had 64 assists, but 66 turnovers, and his minutes dwindled as the season went on. Other than the ability to occasionally get hot from 3-point range, I don't see the upside of Welsh.     

Kareem Reid had 219 assists and 124 turnovers in 95-96 with a better supporting cast.  Most underrated PG by our fans and maybe most underrated overall player.

Lee had 135 assists and 50 turnovers in 88-89.

Beck started his career here as a sophomore.  107 assists 77 turnovers

The_Iceman

rude1

Quote from: hawgsav1 on March 13, 2009, 11:26:40 pm
Considering his average was only 2.1 assists per game this season, I'm betting that's not enough of a statistical sample to suggest that Welsh has some 'issue' with Clarke.
RIght, people with this agenda for wanting to say there is something Welsh has against Clarke, either needs to come up with the proof or let it go.

Welsh was second on the team in shot attempts, he doesn't look to pass to anyone unless he can't force up his own shot. He has the mentality of a shooter, the only problem is he is a bad shooter. He only had 66 assists for the season, so I dare say there was probably  hardly a player on the team he had 10 assists to on the season.

WilsonHog

Quote from: donewithdale on March 14, 2009, 01:16:50 pm
Kareem Reid had 219 assists and 124 turnovers in 95-96 with a better supporting cast.  Most underrated PG by our fans and maybe most underrated overall player.

Lee had 135 assists and 50 turnovers in 88-89.

Beck started his career here as a sophomore.  107 assists 77 turnovers

So here are the ratios:

Mayberry = 2.70:1

Reid = 1.77:1

Beck = 1.39:1

Fortson = 1.34:1

AnthroHog

Mayberry actually improved to 3.10 ratio as a sophomore from his already high ratio.
http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=MAYBELE01

Reid made a good jump his sophomore season to a 2.56 A/TO Rate.
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/arkansas/kareem-reid

Beck went to a 1.80 ratio during his Junior season. 
http://www.ibiblio.org/craig/draft/1995_draft/scout/pg.html#Beck

Let's hope for Fortson to improve as much as they did after their first years with the Razorbacks.

TRUHOG718

Shhhhh.  Some people dont like to hear the truth about Welsh.   :-X
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: AnthroHog on March 14, 2009, 03:15:22 pm
Mayberry actually improved to 3.10 ratio as a sophomore from his already high ratio.
http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=MAYBELE01

Reid made a good jump his sophomore season to a 2.56 A/TO Rate.
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/arkansas/kareem-reid

Beck went to a 1.80 ratio during his Junior season. 
http://www.ibiblio.org/craig/draft/1995_draft/scout/pg.html#Beck

Let's hope for Fortson to improve as much as they did after their first years with the Razorbacks.

What, you mean Freshman actually get better as they get older?  You wouldn't think so with all the "we won't be any better" talk...

DC

Wow! Mayberry was awesome wasn't he? I wish we still had him.

upperdeck_hawg

fortson is a dynamic player, but he needs to learn to play under control before he is even mentioned in the same breath as mayberry
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

donewithdale

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on March 15, 2009, 03:12:33 pm
fortson is a dynamic player, but he needs to learn to play under control before he is even mentioned in the same breath as mayberry

What a difference 3 months make.  A positive in Fortson's game was his outside shot came back somewhat in the last few weeks.  Hope he can carry it over as it will open up his game.  Its also tough to play PG in a halfcourt game like we had to since our D and lack of depth couldn't force tempo and not have but one frontcourt option and sometimes one shooter on the court.

blacksuit

Fortson carried a tremendous offensive burden this year, and got little help from his teammates. He's not perfect, he could be a little sloppy at times, but he's a talented player, lots of teams would be glad to have him on the court. As donewithdale alluded to, we seem to forget the high praise this board had for Fortson only a few months ago. Anybody want to revive that old argument about Fortson going pro after 2 years?

As for Washington, while his talent is clear, his numbers are a little inflated because he had to play so many minutes. In a better situation we'd have some depth in the front court. Next year's team will be a lot worse if he doesn't return.

Everything about Welsh that can be said has been said. He takes too many shots, he shoots too low a percentage, he's doesn't share the ball, he doesn't seem to be a positive influence on the team's chemistry. At times he can provide needed scoring, but he has this "Michael Jordan complex." When he has the ball on the break, he just KNOWS he's gonna score. You can see it in his eyes. The problem is that it causes him to play selfish, reckless basketball.