Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

please let Welsh...

Started by ttrk05, March 13, 2009, 07:58:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ttrk05

be a senior!!  I hate downing a hog player but come on!!  turn over follwed by poor shot by another turn over. will he ever come to know he is not THE MAN out there?  not a team player at all.

DoggtownHog

Unfortunately I agree with you. He seems to be trying to prove he can ball everytime he touches it. Maybe his senior year will change him but I doubt it. I'm just glad this year is thriugh and we can get to work on improving. WPS!
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

LRSmitty

I wish he would be gone too.  Can't stand that guy and he brings nothing positive to the team

rude1

While I agree with his shot happy and out of control playing. How many more losses would this team have racked up without him? As bad as were were, it is scary to think just how bad we would have been without him, especially early on when they were winning.

elf

How many more would we have won with out him is a better question.  His shooting was horrible in the last game.  Too many wasted chances with him shooting so much.  He definitely got worse as the year went on.

rude1

Quote from: elf on March 13, 2009, 08:35:10 am
How many more would we have won with out him is a better question.  His shooting was horrible in the last game.  Too many wasted chances with him shooting so much.  He definitely got worse as the year went on.

We wouldn't have won anymore without him, but would have lost several more without him. That illustrates the complete void of talent on this team when you can't honestly say you could win without a player of the caliber of Welsh.

Porkatarian

Welsh has caused more trouble behind the scenes than Fortson and Henry put together.

Porkatarian...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

thirtythree

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 13, 2009, 09:29:22 am
Welsh has caused more trouble behind the scenes than Fortson and Henry put together.

Porkatarian...

That I can believe for whatever reason.

ttrk05

he would be a great role player if he would be happy with that but it is just now something he will ever except.

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: rude1 on March 13, 2009, 08:39:37 am
We wouldn't have won anymore without him, but would have lost several more without him. That illustrates the complete void of talent on this team when you can't honestly say you could win without a player of the caliber of Welsh.

You can't see us winning a game w/o Welsh b/c you don't want to...we couldn't of beaten Ole Miss if Welsh doesn't shoot 4-19? S.C. another OT game he went 3-12? LSU @ home was a 3 point game & he went 0-7. The games you are saying we could have lost were non-conference games.  The 3 I listed were of the conference variety which could have given us 5 wins...

deshahawg

A few players were taking bad shots last night.

The_Iceman

Quote from: thirtythree on March 13, 2009, 10:31:49 am
That I can believe for whatever reason.

Me too.

It seems to me he assumed he would step up and be the star of this team. I think as Fortson and especially Clarke got more attention, he tried to prove everyone wrong. But he isnt good enough to do that and it made him get worse as the year went along.

In fact, it got to the point to where especially in the last game, Marcus Britt completely outplayed him. Britt is a team player who takes good shots and plays hard defense. I like Britt's potential for next year.

midwestcityhog

to be fair, welsh only shot 2   3 pointers last night, and 1 was in the last 30 seconds.  MUCH improved.  someone got in his ear and said "STOP SHOOTING"

remember, we wouldn't have beaten tennessee last year (and maybe not made the ncaa, or at least been 'bubble'), south alabama this year, and possibly oklahoma this year (during the comeback) without him.  and dont forget he had that last second layup to beat texas with 0.6 seconds left ( lol we were alerady up 4 pts before that point)

hawgsav1

For all you Welsh bashers out there, while he didn't play well down the stretch, he was the reason that we won the Texas game.  Without Welsh, we lose that game easily. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

thirtythree

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 13, 2009, 11:53:04 am
to be fair, welsh only shot 2   3 pointers last night, and 1 was in the last 30 seconds.  MUCH improved.  someone got in his ear and said "STOP SHOOTING"

remember, we wouldn't have beaten tennessee last year (and maybe not made the ncaa, or at least been 'bubble'), south alabama this year, and possibly oklahoma this year (during the comeback) without him.  and dont forget he had that last second layup to beat texas with 0.6 seconds left ( lol we were alerady up 4 pts before that point)

You are right. However, he forced too many times last night. He pressed 1 on 4 all the way to a pretty guarded hoop. Lost the ball and UF scored on it. Granted, next time down he made a 3, but that has been killing us all year. He is a junior making freshman mistakes. He is supposed to be a leader on this team. Leaders lead by example, not just because he says so. I think he can be a very good player if he would just play to his limitations.

Wooderson

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 13, 2009, 09:29:22 am

Porkatarian...

Did they put up with Welsh to get Powell?
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Jim Harris

Quote from: hawgsav1 on March 13, 2009, 12:00:02 pm
For all you Welsh bashers out there, while he didn't play well down the stretch, he was the reason that we won the Texas game.  Without Welsh, we lose that game easily. 

he won the South Alabama game. He had a huge game against Oklahoma.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

joeyself

I wore out a pencil marking down the times he looked at Clarke and then looked somewhere else to pass the ball or simply jack it up.  This was, in my mind, the worst part of the coaching this year.  When breaking down the film, it should have been obvious what was going on--it was to me, and I don't get paid to do it.  So, in a game, when he started that freeze out stuff, he would get to sit awhile to see if he finally got the message--the coach that put Clarke in the game wanted him to participate.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

hawgsav1

Quote from: drakehog on March 13, 2009, 01:13:58 pm

Agreed.  However, I felt his biggest impact was the Texas game.  Shutting down AJ Abrams and scoring 19 of his own is pretty hefty.  I for one would just like Welsh to be a bit more consistent.  When his game is on, he's the best defender on the team bar none.

stchane

Quote from: drakehog on March 13, 2009, 01:13:58 pm

If you noticed during those games, he was more of a spot up shooter.  His feet were set and he was ready to take the shot when the ball got into his hands.  That is when he was most effective shooting the ball.  That is when he was shooting the ball during those games (with the exception of the game winning shot against South Alabama).

The greedy "me me me" crap he would pull is uncalled for and really hurt us.  I don't know what he was trying to prove, but I agree with others in this thread that it costs us some games.  It just goes to show that we could use another true point guard during THIS signing period. 
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

rude1

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on March 13, 2009, 11:11:35 am
You can't see us winning a game w/o Welsh b/c you don't want to...we couldn't of beaten Ole Miss if Welsh doesn't shoot 4-19? S.C. another OT game he went 3-12? LSU @ home was a 3 point game & he went 0-7. The games you are saying we could have lost were non-conference games.  The 3 I listed were of the conference variety which could have given us 5 wins...
Who else was on fire in those same games you are singling Welsh out in?  Like it or not, without Welsh, this team would have lost many more games than they did.

hawgsav1

Quote from: stchane on March 13, 2009, 02:36:54 pm
If you noticed during those games, he was more of a spot up shooter.  His feet were set and he was ready to take the shot when the ball got into his hands.  That is when he was most effective shooting the ball.  That is when he was shooting the ball during those games (with the exception of the game winning shot against South Alabama).

The greedy "me me me" crap he would pull is uncalled for and really hurt us.  I don't know what he was trying to prove, but I agree with others in this thread that it costs us some games.  It just goes to show that we could use another true point guard during THIS signing period. 

I agree that Stefan needs to only shoot when he's set, but apart from Fortson, he's the only player who can get his own shot (Britt is starting to develop that and so is Rotnei Clarke, but they're not there yet).  Stefan Welsh's problem is that he shoot too many 3s.  I don't mind him shooting when he's open, but I would rather him drive it to the rim than shoot a 3.

Neverthless, the excessive bashing of Welsh pisses me off.  People tried to make up some nonsense about Welsh having an issue with Rotnei Clarke and said that he never passed it to him or never congratulated Rotnei for scoring, but that was total BS.  It's almost as if people want to find a reason to hate Welsh.  They did the same stupid thing for Gary Ervin last year and Dontell Jefferson the year before.

joeyself

Quote from: hawgsav1 on March 13, 2009, 02:46:01 pm

Neverthless, the excessive bashing of Welsh pisses me off.  People tried to make up some nonsense about Welsh having an issue with Rotnei Clarke and said that he never passed it to him or never congratulated Rotnei for scoring, but that was total BS. 

You think he was a good teammate while on the floor with Rotnei?

We were watching different players, apparently. 

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

hawgsav1

Quote from: joeyself on March 13, 2009, 02:48:50 pm
You think he was a good teammate while on the floor with Rotnei?

We were watching different players, apparently. 

JcS

I can think of plenty of times he high fived Rotnei and gave him encouragement after Clarke hit free throws.  He chest bumped him on several occasions as well.

Smithian

After the OU and Texas games, people couldn't suck up to Stefan Welsh enough. People on here were singing that they loved him and couldn't believe those who turned on him. Well, hell, you all turned on him, too.

hawg, darn right. I am so sick of people trashing Welsh. Pelphrey had it in the gameplan for Welsh to be basically our only perimeter scorer and people don't understand that if Welsh was as truly horrible as they thought, he would never have played. I think Welsh will be a good player for us next year when we are more experienced and talented in the backcourt and he'll have less pressure. It is hard to take a supporting role when you were basically told you were the man, team captain, etc, etc going into the season.

joeyself

Quote from: hawgsav1 on March 13, 2009, 02:50:22 pm
I can think of plenty of times he high fived Rotnei and gave him encouragement after Clarke hit free throws.  He chest bumped him on several occasions as well.

Which is not bad, but it's not like looking at him spotting up and then passing the ball elsewhere.  That hurts the team.  I suspect, and am not going to go look at the film, those chest bumps and high fives did not come after a Welsh pass that resulted in a basket more than 5 times this year.

JcS

rude1

Or the Oklahoma game either. He had 19 pts. on 6-12 shooting that night. I agree that he is out of control and shoots it way too much, but to try and pretend we would have been better without him is not being honest.

Don't really care if he was told he was the MAN, Captian, Mr. Everything, he wasn't all that and he should have the brains to realize his game really really sucks at times.  He is not the type player that can take leadedrship and put a team on his shoulders and go out and win.  Welsh is not a bad player but not nearly as good as he thinks he is.  He will always be limited to the mental level he can reach.  He makes the wrong decision under pressure way too often.  The tougher the situation, usually the worse he shoots, both field and FT.  He needs to spend time visualizing situations throughout the game that he might be in and think through what he should do.  This isn't likely just BB that Welsh can't think on his feet.  Bet he blows other situations due to his lack of reasonable thinking when under the gun.  As for Clarke, he spent the first half of the conference season expecting teammates to bring him the ball instead of him working for it.  In addition, Welsh absolutely refused to pass to Clarke time after time when he managed to get open.  I like Clarke but much of this was on him.  He needed to put himself in position to not be refused the ball more often.  He also needs to learn to make moves that move a defender off him, pull up and pop.  Clarke has a long way to go but playing with players who prefer not to include him in the offense will not help.

thirtythree

Quote from: joeyself on March 13, 2009, 01:48:26 pm
I wore out a pencil marking down the times he looked at Clarke and then looked somewhere else to pass the ball or simply jack it up.  This was, in my mind, the worst part of the coaching this year.  When breaking down the film, it should have been obvious what was going on--it was to me, and I don't get paid to do it.  So, in a game, when he started that freeze out stuff, he would get to sit awhile to see if he finally got the message--the coach that put Clarke in the game wanted him to participate.

JcS

So true. He looked at Clarke last night and no one was around him, but he went the other way with it. I'm not going to bash the kids, but I think Welsh is trying so hard to out due the other guards it is killing him as a consistant contributor. He needs to accept his true role and live with it. I feel he will realize that next year.

stchane

Quote from: 12247 on March 13, 2009, 05:12:03 pm
As for Clarke, he spent the first half of the conference season expecting teammates to bring him the ball instead of him working for it.  In addition, Welsh absolutely refused to pass to Clarke time after time when he managed to get open.  I like Clarke but much of this was on him.  He needed to put himself in position to not be refused the ball more often.  He also needs to learn to make moves that move a defender off him, pull up and pop.  

Thats good stuff right there.  I attribute this to youth and the level of play.  He didn't have this problem as much later on in the year.

Quote from: hawgsav1 on March 13, 2009, 02:46:01 pm
I agree that Stefan needs to only shoot when he's set, but apart from Fortson, he's the only player who can get his own shot. 

It's almost as if people want to find a reason to hate Welsh.  They did the same stupid thing for Gary Ervin last year and Dontell Jefferson the year before.

That is the exact problem with Welsh; he thinks he can create his own shot but in reality he can't.  But that damn sure doesn't stop him from trying.  Its these circumstances when he is at his worst.  He is a spot shooter at the 2 guard position.  Asking him to do anything more than that is asking too much. 

Ervin actually did some positive things on the court, albeit turning the ball over too much in the process.  Jefferson was gawd awful when he played here...anyone disagreeing with that is either blind or has a serious revisionist history problem...
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane