Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's try this

Started by thirtythree, March 10, 2009, 12:53:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want Coach Pel here next season?

Yes
No

thirtythree

Just an up or down vote. Please, if you want to explain your vote do so with facts and not rumors or insinuations. If you just feel he should/shouldn't be here then leave it at that. We have seen a lot of rumors from both sides and no facts to back a vast majority of it up. No inside sources, no outside sources but just a vote.

This isn't for past next season, but just for next season.

Please keep it under the guidelines.

want2be

Maybe..........I'am waiting to hear Long's opinion for the future of the basketball program.

thirtythree

Quote from: want2be on March 10, 2009, 12:58:16 pm

Maybe..........I'am waiting to hear Long's opinion for the future of the basketball program.

I don't want Long's opinion. I want yours. As a fan, do you think he should be here next year or not.

As a fan I do want him here. Jeff Long's opinion won't change mine.

donewithdale

Quote from: thirtythree on March 10, 2009, 12:53:12 pm
Just an up or down vote. Please, if you want to explain your vote do so with facts and not rumors or insinuations. If you just feel he should/shouldn't be here then leave it at that. We have seen a lot of rumors from both sides and no facts to back a vast majority of it up. No inside sources, no outside sources but just a vote.

This isn't for past next season, but just for next season.

Please keep it under the guidelines.

Ask this after the late signing period at the earliest. 

elksnort

Quote from: donewithdale on March 10, 2009, 01:15:31 pm
Ask this after the late signing period at the earliest. 

Wow donewithdale, are getting more sceptical than before?

tolerati

I am going to let him finish the season first and see what happens. I like Pel as a person but I am very very disappointed as a fan. I have seen very little progress this season. If anything, things seem to be worse.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

rzrbackrob

He has only been here for two years, let's be patient enough to see if the Hogs hired a good coach or not.
Good is the enemy of great

donewithdale

Quote from: elksnort on March 10, 2009, 01:19:44 pm
Wow donewithdale, are getting more sceptical than before?

I've said that since at least January.  Nothing has changed for me.  In fact, rude1 and I started discussing Pel's recruiting last year when everyone was ranting over this freshman class.  This offseason will determine if he makes it whether that is fair or not.  The team obviously has to get more talented and deeper soon. 

elksnort

I'd say that you're correct. This late recruiting season is going to help make or break John Pelphrey at Arkansas.

Wouldn't Washington do much better if we had a real 5 spot and he can play the 4 spot? I'd think that he do much better.

I voted to keep Pelphrey for next year. As negative, skeptical and passionate as I can be, he ought to at least have next year. But there is not much room for error for him and his staff.

donewithdale

Quote from: elksnort on March 10, 2009, 01:41:49 pm
I'd say that you're correct. This late recruiting season is going to help make or break John Pelphrey at Arkansas.

Wouldn't Washington do much better if we had a real 5 spot and he can play the 4 spot? I'd think that he do much better.

I voted to keep Pelphrey for next year. As negative, skeptical and passionate as I can be, he ought to at least have next year. But there is not much room for error for him and his staff.

Well I think he should get this late period and offseason which means he'll have to be here next year as you don't fire a coach in the summer without something really strange happening. 

BigSexyHog

I voted yes, but went back and forth for a few minutes.  I am willing to give him another season, but lets say I am not very happy with what went on this year.  I can take the 2-14 record, but the issues that came with it cause of the players is what has me upset the most.  I understand at some point you are going to have season's like we did, but I don't have alot of faith at this point.

Oh and the situation with the assistant coaches must change quickly as well..... I do not want another Hootie situation
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

thirtythree

Quote from: BigSexyHog on March 10, 2009, 02:07:00 pm
I voted yes, but went back and forth for a few minutes.  I am willing to give him another season, but lets say I am not very happy with what went on this year.  I can take the 2-14 record, but the issues that came with it cause of the players is what has me upset the most.  I understand at some point you are going to have season's like we did, but I don't have alot of faith at this point.

Nor am I happy with this season. I also think, no matter who the coach is, they should be extended a fair amount of time. I do not think that time has come yet.

Hog Milanese

It would be a lot different if we were this bad this year, but I could tell that the players tried their hardest, had good attitudes, and were trusting their coach and his guidance. But there was none of that, with some small exceptions here and there.

Do I "want" him gone? No. Do I think that might be best for the program in the long run? Yes.

Razorvet

March 10, 2009, 02:25:27 pm #13 Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 02:28:17 pm by Razorvet
Its not an up or down vote situation. The question is will we go after a winning coach or will we role the dice. Pel was a silly hire by a silly administration. We hired an unproven coach to lead a senior laden team and then replace that team the very next year. I just dont see why we went with an unproven coach. I dont think BB was much of a priority to Frank. Is it for Long? I have a great deal of faith in his networking abilities and his ability to get the funds needed to secure a great coach.

But you dont fire an unproven coach to hire an unproven coach. Even last season I had to admit that Pel didnt look much better than Heath. This year he made Heath look like a BB coaching God.

So maybe your pole should ask if we can get a proven winning coach who can recruit would we trade. Ill bet the yes column goes through the roof.

What is his relationship with Pitts HC Dixon like?

donewithdale

Quote from: Razorvet on March 10, 2009, 02:25:27 pm
Its not an up or down vote situation. The question is will we go after a winning coach or will we role the dice. Pel was a silly hire by a silly administration. We hired an unproven coach to lead a senior laden team and then replace that team the very next year. I just dont see why we went with an unproven coach. I dont think BB was much of a priority to Frank. Is it for Long? I have a great deal of faith in his networking abilities and his ability to get the funds needed to secure a great coach.

But you dont fire an unproven coach to hire an unproven coach. Even last season I had to admit that Pel didnt look much better than Heath. This year he made Heath look like a BB coaching God.

So maybe your pole should ask if we can get a proven winning coach who can recruit would we trade. Ill bet the yes column goes through the roof.

We didn't go with an inexperienced unproven coach with Frank's initial hire.  But he ran away after getting a behind the scenes look in less than a day.  What would you expect after that?  That big name, experienced, proven coaches would leave secure jobs in programs they had on solid ground for our job?  And you really think Heath would have looked great coaching this roster?  I really don't know where some of you get this stuff.

thirtythree

Quote from: Razorvet on March 10, 2009, 02:25:27 pm

What is his relationship with Pitts HC Dixon like?

This poll is not biased toward one side or another.

It is an up or down vote. That's what yes or no votes are. I have no descriptions in may answer choices. I even asked that for certian criteria to be included or excluded.

BallHog1

I guess it depends on whether he's right or left handed. If Fortson is still here and a left handed coach was available, we probably ought to give him a try. If Fortson isn't here, I think we stick with Pel and hope he can find a right handed point guard.
At least thats what I've gathered here on the board over the last two weeks or so.

lovetthog1

I do not want Pel back next season. As I stated before he is a great guy just like Stan but not a great coach. I know there are plenty of people who think he needs more time. I know there are plenty of people who think I am just some ignorant fan who just doesnt get it. I guess I'm just another one of those message board trouble makers who doesnt love the program or whatever you want to say about me. The hardest thing about rebuilding a program is making sure you have the right guy to do it. The wrong guy always has the excuse of more time on his hand. No person worth his salt wouldnt want to keep trying, overwhelmed or not. And it certainly looks premature to get rid of someone this early in the rebuilding process. Having said that I still think that Pel is in over his head. Yes he lacks depth and experience, but thats not whats making him loose. It's failure to make adjustments and failure to lead this team to improvement thats the problem. It started going downhill in conference play. And while playing in a very down SEC year we are 2-14 or something like that. A quality coach would have gone at least .500 in this conference with this same group of players. Ok I am ready for the smiting and the name calling.

forrest city joe

Quote from: thirtythree on March 10, 2009, 01:12:37 pm
I don't want Long's opinion. I want yours. As a fan, do you think he should be here next year or not.

As a fan I do want him here. Jeff Long's opinion won't change mine.
Jeff long,s opinion is the only one that counts. i want to cut our losses and move on.but  what i think means nothing.

The Hogfather

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 10, 2009, 05:49:37 pm
Jeff long,s opinion is the only one that counts. i want to cut our losses and move on.but  what i think means nothing.

T.G.

want2be

Fact............Long got lucky with Petrino

Fact...........This is the hardest spot Long has been in since before he got lucky

Fact...........After the SEC tourney, Long needs to be interviewed and explain his position on the future of Hog bball......If he is gambling on next year's recruit he will need to be lucky again.

Fact........BWA is second only to Kentucky in the SEC in size..........The fans expect and deserve progress.

The Hogfather

Quote from: want2be on March 10, 2009, 06:06:56 pm

Fact...........This is the hardest spot Long has been in since before he got lucky

Fact...........After the SEC tourney, Long needs to be interviewed and explain his position on the future of Hog bball......If he is gambling on next year's recruit he will need to be lucky again.

Fact........BWA is second only to Kentucky in the SEC in size..........The fans expect and deserve progress.

I can agree with all those.

thirtythree

March 10, 2009, 06:12:08 pm #22 Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 06:13:47 pm by thirtythree

The only fact that you can say you got right (I think) is the size of BWA compared to Rupp Arena). Everything else is your opinion. I'm not bashing ya. I would tend to agree with you, but we don't know what Long is thinking. Only Long knows what he is going to do as of now.

elksnort

Actually, Thompson-Boling Arena at Tennessee is larger in capacity than Bud Walton.

I think that it was 23K then held less after sky boxes were put in.

so, according to the due before me, all your sh9t is wrong.

dddollars

well i think CJP would be glad to hear he has a 70% approval rating!

hogsanity

YEs.........IF

If he can improve the defense.  Especially the horrible habit of leaving 3pt shooters wide open.  If you are responsible for guarding a good shooter, DO NOT LEAVE HIM to double down, or go for a steal or any other reason. 

If he can improve the guard play.  If he continues to allow Fortson or any other PG to take 20+ shots per game, we are doomed. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

royboy10

How about a maybe? If he cannot get control of the players and his staff during the off season, then he will need to go >:(

AuburnHog

He deserves another season.  We would suck next season if we brought in a new coach anyway.  Might as well give Pel a chance to clean up his mess. 

pitbull1

Depends on who he loses after the season is over, what he does in recruiting.  If he has several who transfers out after the season, then we're in trouble.  Then he has to try and find players to replace the one that leave.  I don't know if he is qualified enough to replace the players that might leave.  I just don't trust him as a recruiter right now.

Brass Knob

I can deal with a bad season or two in the name of rebuilding a program.  I do not hold being left empty against Pel.  What I cannot deal with is all the off the court problems this team has had the past two years.  That is utterly embarrassing.  It seems as though Pel cannot get these guys to respect him and youth and no depth is not an excuse.  The problems on this team, minus one or two incidents, have been his players, the ones he recruited.  There is no excuse for that.

N HOG

Quote from: AuburnHog on March 12, 2009, 11:21:32 am
He deserves another season.  We would suck next season if we brought in a new coach anyway.  Might as well give Pel a chance to clean up his mess. 

Make the change this year or make it next year -- whatever makes you comfortable.

thirtythree

LRSmitty

Quote from: Brass Knob on March 12, 2009, 11:42:35 am
I can deal with a bad season or two in the name of rebuilding a program.  I do not hold being left empty against Pel.  What I cannot deal with is all the off the court problems this team has had the past two years.  That is utterly embarrassing.  It seems as though Pel cannot get these guys to respect him and youth and no depth is not an excuse.  The problems on this team, minus one or two incidents, have been his players, the ones he recruited.  There is no excuse for that.

Agreed

The Boar War

Quote from: dddollars on March 12, 2009, 10:55:33 am
well i think CJP would be glad to hear he has a 70% approval rating!

I wouldn't call it an approval rating.  I doubt many are approving of the job being done right now.  However getting rid of a coach this early in his tenure is not a smart move.  We need to be patient and give him one more year to see if he can get things turned around.

want2be

Long has made the decision to stick with Pel, so as a fan, I will be watching to see if there are any changes in the staff, any changes with existing players, and how the recruiting goes. Too may "what ifs" being voiced.

I think Pel can turn the program in the right direction, but it is going to take longer that many fans want to deal with. I like his style of play when he has depth.He just needs talent and character to  along with that depth to be competitive in the SEC. In fact it may take tying up the better of the 2011 class before we are really on the map again. At least by then Pel with have deepened his relationships with future talent.

thirtythree

Quote from: The Boar War on March 13, 2009, 10:52:53 am
I wouldn't call it an approval rating.  I doubt many are approving of the job being done right now.  However getting rid of a coach this early in his tenure is not a smart move.  We need to be patient and give him one more year to see if he can get things turned around.

True statement. I didn't start the poll to get an approval rating. Just one simple question. Do you want him here next year.

I don't approve of the season either. I do want him here next year to right the ship though.

BallHog1

I didn't particularly enjoy the season but I didn't really enjoy conditioning drills as a player either. Sometimes pain and discomfort are part of the trip getting to where you want to be. I wish next season started in May.

joeyself

I do want him here next season, and voted thusly, but if things aren't improving in areas where coaching can cause a difference, I won't be upset if he is gone early enough to allow a new coach to get a recruiting class of some kind together.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

PorkSoda

He will be here next season.  It will take a miracle for him to be here the season after that.  I hope he can get it turned around, but the cards are stacked against him.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Pel came here at a weird time.  The vet team he had last year might have been good for the won/loss record but not so good for the coach.  Our coach lost an entire year finishing off those Guys.  That team looked good enough to go sweet 16 but only made it to the 32.  Of course most teams would have lost to NC.  This year we didn't have a leader on the floor, no previous starters, 6 freshmen that played with 2 or 3 starting every game and a coach that likely isn't cut out to work with green horn babies.  I still don't know anything proven that shows this group was any worse than any other group concerning discipline and unacceptable behavior. 

Tusks

March 13, 2009, 05:31:23 pm #40 Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 05:34:20 pm by nutted
Just don't hire or fire based on the TOTAL BULL SHIITE Altman fiasco.

I'm leaning to keeping him with the idea if he does great.....great..... but at least he buys time (better quality and style than Heath)until the GOBN is completely gone and old senile 1967 isn't on the phone making an arse out of himself dialing for coaches.

If OU can make a homerun hire the hogs can.

Todays world is different than back when mail was sent via the pony express.

There are search firms that can tell you the same level of statistics about potential HCs that professional ball clubs know about their players to use for contract negotiations.

Whats the coaches overall record when down by 5 with 5 minutes left in the game....etc. etc.

UA money is very competitive and if you win big.....you'll be paid big.

So I say hold pat....see how long the cyborg last and see how it plays out.

I think with Long, the new BOT, new structure of the departments, with adding a search firm and the hogs can do pretty well....very well actually.

One prerequisite should be up tempo style....it just fits the hogs now.

That or just go out and hire Mike Anderson....give him his shot and find out one way or another....but at least the ? will finally be answered.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Iwastherein1969

FACT:   LUCK is a PART of ANY PROGRAM'S SUCCESS
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Tusks

the hogs got hugely lucky that rollie masamino didnt take the job when offered and nolan took it....thats LUCK.

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 13, 2009, 05:36:12 pm
            FACT:   LUCK is a PART of ANY PROGRAM'S SUCCESS
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hoglady

I want to give him another year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

twistitup

2 more years - no matter what
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

thirtythree

It seems that this was a very good poll. Althugh it seems that nobody is happy with how the season went a very good majority wants to see him back for another season.