Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

54 Straight Conference Wins

Started by moses_007, February 21, 2009, 05:21:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

moses_007

The Memphis Tigers defeated Texas-El Paso 70-63 today, extending its winning streak to 54 straight Conference USA wins in a row.  Wow, I doubt this has been done since John Wooden did it with UCLA in the 1970s.  What I would give to see Arkansas on a winning streak like this!!!

Not going to happen in a power conference.

ThrillaHog

And they play in what conference? When u have those kind of players in a weak conference of course they will steam roll everyone

missippihog

Sure would have liked to see what Cal could have done at AR.

chiefsfan

Quote from: missippihog on February 21, 2009, 05:43:35 pm
Sure would have liked to see what Cal could have done at AR.

Can calipari win without cheating though?
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

garco

razorbackmkh

Every time I see a grown man in a backwards hat I want to b***h slap Trooper Taylor.

rzrbackrob

I live in Memphis and Tiger High would give everything they have to be in the SEC or any real conference for that matter.
Good is the enemy of great

garco

yraciv

Quote from: garco on February 21, 2009, 05:59:33 pm
FedEx? Please explain.

It's something along the lines of a Fed Ex intern program, which gives jobs to players.  Apparently they get paid a lot for simple tasks, but nothing is illegal because that is what they pay the normal employees.

garco

jfred59

Quote from: yraciv on February 21, 2009, 06:13:54 pm
It's something along the lines of a Fed Ex intern program, which gives jobs to players.  Apparently they get paid a lot for simple tasks, but nothing is illegal because that is what they pay the normal employees.

And parents get real nice jobs too.....if we plaed in a Jr High conference we might win 54 in a row too

BluffCityHog

CUSA is terrible but you have to give Cal props for the job he has done and he doesn't cheat.  The NCAA hasn't even sniffed at Memphis in his tenure.  His teams remind me of our Nolan Teams in the early 90s, they play incredible D and he is not afraid to play anyone, anywhere at anytime.  The talent he recruits is amazing.  They don't win 54 straight in the SEC but his teams would not lose more than two or three games if they played a SEC slate.

stchane

Quote from: jfred59 on February 21, 2009, 06:28:54 pm
And parents get real nice jobs too.....if we plaed in a Jr High conference we might win 54 in a row too

Actually Memphis is having a down year for them.  They damn near lost at Tulsa.  As a matter of fact they were very lucky to win that game.  I guess having a streak like that you get lucky a time or two.  However, I do think the streak will end this year.  Conference USA isn't as bad as some of you think it is. 

Mark it down; I said it 1st.  The streak will end this year.
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

Big Papa Satan

In a just world, the NCAA would hammer Tiger High.

yraciv

Quote from: stchane on February 21, 2009, 06:53:41 pm
Actually Memphis is having a down year for them.  They damn near lost at Tulsa.  As a matter of fact they were very lucky to win that game.  I guess having a streak like that you get lucky a time or two.  However, I do think the streak will end this year.  Conference USA isn't as bad as some of you think it is. 

Mark it down; I said it 1st.  The streak will end this year.

The next game will be tough @ UAB, but if they win that I don't see it happening.  They may be down, but they still are hands down the best team in that conference.

SLC

Quote from: rzrbackrob on February 21, 2009, 05:58:18 pm
I live in Memphis and Tiger High would give everything they have to be in the SEC or any real conference for that matter.

There is no way they could compete in all sports in the SEC.  Basketball yes, the rest no.  They do not have the programs, the alumni nor the facilities. 
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

stchane

Quote from: Hawianiceman on February 21, 2009, 07:56:38 pm
20 Wins and #5 ranking WOW that must a good program for it to be a down year for them...........sarcasm

Considering the fact that they had 2 losses last year, and have been a #1 seed or damn near for the last few years,

yes, this is a down year for them
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

StewDogg11

Quote from: stchane on February 21, 2009, 08:03:36 pm
Considering the fact that they had 2 losses last year, and have been a #1 seed or damn near for the last few years,

You do realize they lost Derrick Rose, Chris Douglas-Roberts, and Joey Dorsey don't you???  Everyone knew they weren't going to be the machine they were last year.  But on another note Tyreke is an amazing talent.

PoormansRobbyHampton

That streak means as much as me beating the computer on medium on NBA Jam to the tune of 243 wins straight and counting...except the medium computer puts up more of a fight than your average C-USA team.

chiefsfan

Memphis doesnt have to try often in CUSA.   Its part of the reason that until last year they had struggled in the sweet 16 and beyond in the NCAA's
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

stchane

Quote from: StewDogg11 on February 21, 2009, 11:58:20 pm
You do realize they lost Derrick Rose, Chris Douglas-Roberts, and Joey Dorsey don't you???  Everyone knew they weren't going to be the machine they were last year.  But on another note Tyreke is an amazing talent.

Do I realize?  That is what I'm trying to say.  Houston and Tulsa are decent CUSA teams.  I'd like to see Tulsa play them again in the Conference tourney myself.  I think 1 of these teams has the ability to beat Memphis, but its going to take alot, and Memphis is going to have to have an off night. 

StewDogg11

Quote from: stchane on February 22, 2009, 12:32:58 am
Do I realize?  That is what I'm trying to say.  Houston and Tulsa are decent CUSA teams.  I'd like to see Tulsa play them again in the Conference tourney myself.  I think 1 of these teams has the ability to beat Memphis, but its going to take alot, and Memphis is going to have to have an off night. 
Got ya now.

moses_007

Quote from: stchane on February 21, 2009, 08:03:36 pm

A down year when they are ranked No. 5?  They may have some new players that don't have the name recognition as Memphis' seniors last year had, but they're still getting the job done.  That's the mark of a good team, a good program and a good coach.

UofMemphis

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on February 21, 2009, 06:55:18 pm
In a just world, the NCAA would hammer Tiger High.

in a just world...UPigg would fire the only coach that made them elite and send THEMSELVES spiraling towards mediocrity...i guess it's a just world after all!
memphistigers.org <--- memphis message board.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: SLC on February 21, 2009, 07:43:09 pm
There is no way they could compete in all sports in the SEC.  Basketball yes, the rest no.  They do not have the programs, the alumni nor the facilities. 

Oh, that explains Old P*ss and Misstake  ;)

mellonhead

Memphis needs to some how get out of that joke of a conference. Its not good for them plus the other teams dont have a chance to compete year in and year out.

Newhopehog

Memphis will never get into the SEC....tenner won't allow it.....

woodhog14

Quote from: garco on February 21, 2009, 05:55:00 pm
How's he cheating?

He cheated at UMass and is cheating now. That's the only way he can win. He left UMass for the NBA, right when they were put on probation.

docryde3

If you want to get technical its 53 conference wins...and win you win that many times you already proved your too good for your conference.. they need bumped up to SEC and we can kick out Ole Miss or Vandy
Woo Pig Sooie

garco

I think the "Camby" thing was discovered after he left UMass. Was it Pete Carroll's fault about the "Bush" incident?

Merle Hawggard

stop bashing Cal...he might wanna coach in the SEC one day...he wins everywhere he goes and id like that to one day be Arkansas!
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"If I tell you a rooster can pull a freight train....hook his a$$ up!!\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" Terry Whitlock

moses_007

Quote from: Merle Hawggard on February 22, 2009, 11:04:01 pm
stop bashing Cal...he might wanna coach in the SEC one day...he wins everywhere he goes and id like that to one day be Arkansas!

I agree.  Too, he could be a movie star also.  He looks like a Carey Grant.

rzrbackrob

I don't know if it has made it on the board yet, but Cal is suggesting that SEC writers are keeping Tiger High from moving up in the polls. He stated that writers in Columbia, Baton Rouge, Knoxville, and Fayetteville are conspiring to keep them out of the top three. I live here in Memphis and this guy is a piece of work who loves to hear himself talk. Before he got on his current run, lots of Tiger High fans were growing tired of his NIT ways and so he started calling them the "Miserables".

stchane

Quote from: stchane on February 22, 2009, 12:32:58 am

Looks like I'm gonna get my wish...Go TU!

tkhog

To the guy who said kick Vandy or Ole Miss out of the SEC, they're both better basketball schools than us right now so how does that work?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: garco on February 21, 2009, 05:55:00 pm
How's he cheating?
You always get this by fans who have no answer and/or are envious.

Hell, Arkansas has had as many or more NCAA violations in the last 10 years as Memphis has had.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

stchane

Quote from: stchane on March 13, 2009, 10:13:04 pm
Looks like I'm gonna get my wish...Go TU!

Fine......it is crow I am eating at the moment....I guess thats what I get betting on team named after urination...

rzrbackrob

If you got to watch the CUSA championship, now you know how bad the rest of CUSA is. I take no stock of the number of games Tiger High wins in that excuse for a conference, Memphis will be judged by the NCAA tournament. If the Tigers get to the Elite 8, they deserve to be considered as one of the top teams this year. If they don't, this business about them being one of the top teams "is what it is" (to quote Cal). A big fish from a small pond jumping into lake and being eaten by a real big fish.

hogman1974

Quote from: moses_007 on February 21, 2009, 05:21:40 pm
The Memphis Tigers defeated Texas-El Paso 70-63 today, extending its winning streak to 54 straight Conference USA wins in a row.  Wow, I doubt this has been done since John Wooden did it with UCLA in the 1970s.  What I would give to see Arkansas on a winning streak like this!!!

Let me know when Texas El-Paso enters the SEC.

SkunkyMunky

http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/?p=15446

sounds like if Arkansas wore burnt orange (Texas) or blue (Kentucky).

don't see this being a good thing.
"Do you want to be safe and good, or do you want to take a chance and be great?"
Jimmy Johnson

"Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple."
Barry Switzer