Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hire Miles, let him bring back Chavis and Keep Enos?

Started by WOOPIGMAN, September 26, 2017, 02:32:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pig pickin

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on September 26, 2017, 02:47:53 pm
All of you are forgetting one thing.........AD Jeff Long.   What kind of coach does HE want?   Apparently no one else is doing anything about this (BOT or whomever).   His desires are not the same as ours.

I don't know if the feelings are mutual but CLM thinks very highly of Jeff Long.

Wildhog

Les Miles was a 7 win coach at Okie State.  He didn't suddenly become a better coach when he went to LSU.  He was just surrounded by 4 & 5-star talent that grew up wanting to be LSU Tigers.  He's not just going to show up at Arkansas and start raking in top recruiting classes.  It's just not realistic.

As far as his record, I'll remind everyone that Bielema won more games/year at Wisconsin than Miles did at LSU.  Every situation is different.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

moses_007

Miles would definitely be an improvement over what we have now.  But, we'd have to have some grass for him to chew on during games....

Wildhog

Quote from: moses_007 on September 26, 2017, 04:47:04 pm
Miles would definitely be an improvement over what we have now.  But, we'd have to have some grass for him to chew on during games....

Lateral move at best, IMO.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Roaringboar

Quote from: Wildhog on September 26, 2017, 04:35:28 pm
Les Miles was a 7 win coach at Okie State.  He didn't suddenly become a better coach when he went to LSU.  He was just surrounded by 4 & 5-star talent that grew up wanting to be LSU Tigers.  He's not just going to show up at Arkansas and start raking in top recruiting classes.  It's just not realistic.

As far as his record, I'll remind everyone that Bielema won more games/year at Wisconsin than Miles did at LSU.  Every situation is different.

There you go again, misinterpreting the data......You're right, Miles record wasn't the same in the Big 12, but the Big 12 was just as tough then as it is now, if not tougher. You still had teams like Nebraska, Texas A&M, Texas, and Oklahoma you had to play every year. That's four games you are going to struggle in every single time. Different situation, you're right. Miles was in a tough conference going to another tough conference were he SUCCEDDED!!!!!!

As for Bilema, who you are again defending here, he was in the Big 10 before Myer, Harbaugh, and Franklin all showed up  and turned it into the beast it is today. The Big 10, and not just because of those three, is one of the toughest conferences in the country now, and Bilema knew that was going to happen when Big 10 schools started getting SEC coaches likey Meyer and Franklin. Did he see Harbaugh coming, probably not, but he knew it was a matter of time. And let's face it. Barry Alveraz ran that program. When you have a former coach as an AD, they call the shots. He told Bilema how to run that program, and that's why it had results. Don't try and compare Miles to Bilema. Miles did well with OK-State, not what Gundy has done, but he well and laid a foundation that has been built into a major football program. At LSU he became a top notch coach that everyone, EVERYONE admited was one of the best in the country and everyone agreed he got screwed by LSU. So simply put, before you start screaming, "But, But, But Bilema did good in the Big 10 and won the conference title a few years in a row."

That was when O-State, Michigan, and Penn State were struggling and not the elite powers they are now. And don't forget the Big 10 also has Maryland doing decent right now, M-State is trying to fight back into a decent team, Northwestern is decent program, and Purdue is turning alot of heads right now too. That is a weak argument. You have to look at the leagues. LSU won the SEC in a year where the SEC was undoubtly the toughest conference in the nation, heck the SEC west was considered stronger than most conferences. Sure they lost the national championship.....TO A VENGENCE FUELED ALABAMA LED BY NICK SABAN, but they beat a high octane Arkansas program, Alabama, Ole Miss, I mean that was one heck of a slate he ran that year, and that LSU/BAMA game they won 6-3. One of the greatest all time. Don't tell me he can't coach. He can, and he can do it with his talent, but you have to let him do things his way, not force him to copy other programs.
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

Wildhog

Yeah, that's me.  Defender of Bielema.

I just sincerely hope that Jeff Long doesn't believe as you do.  Miles would be an absolute disaster.
1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

Quote from: Wildhog on September 26, 2017, 05:10:27 pm
Yeah, that's me.  Defender of Bielema.

I just sincerely hope that Jeff Long doesn't believe as you do.  Miles would be an absolute disaster.

You know this isn't a place of reason.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Wildhog

Quote from: rhames on September 26, 2017, 05:11:12 pm

You know this isn't a place of reason.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.  Les Miles?  I mean, seriously?  I seriously have to make this argument?  FFS.
1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

Quote from: Wildhog on September 26, 2017, 05:12:09 pm
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.  Les Miles?  I mean, seriously?  I seriously have to make this argument?  FFS.

It's like we want a divorce so bad we will go back to the ex from high school even though she got fat.

There is a higher chance Bret wins 9 games this year than there ever will be of Les being our coach.

Guv did say he got a text saying it was Les's dream job. Just like Brent and whoever else is out there that is an option.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

Tusks

If that would get real grass back in the stadium, I'd be all for it.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

longtimeHogfan

Bring Les Miles to Arkansas and I'll erect a statue to Phat Phil Phulmer in my front yard, paint the yard orange and program my doorbell to play rocky top. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

jcbville

hoggusamoungus

Chavis' A&M contract likely has a clause that won't allow him to make a lateral move within the division.  On top of that, his defense sucks.  Couldn't hold a 38-10 third quarter lead against UCLA and gave up 43 on Saturday.

majp51

Quote from: WOOPIGMAN on September 26, 2017, 02:32:51 pm
?

Err no. Les's Offenses make Bret's appear forward thinking.

Les Miles successfully proved only one thing, mainly that there is so much talent in Louisiana, that a slightly above average coach can win a lot of games, and even a NC with the right luck.

rzrbackramsfan

The Boar War

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on September 26, 2017, 05:47:34 pm
Chavis' A&M contract likely has a clause that won't allow him to make a lateral move within the division.  On top of that, his defense sucks.  Couldn't hold a 38-10 third quarter lead against UCLA and gave up 43 on Saturday.

That staff will probably not be in College Station next year.

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

Roaringboar

This ignorance is what hurts our fanbase. No one can provide any evidence why Miles would be bad here. He sure as hell won at LSU, and he won at OK State before that. He has done well everywhere he has been. Why won't he do well here?

"Oh this is Arkansas. We suck, have no talent, have no hope, and so we'll settle for paying a horrible coach 4 million a year just to be a crap team every season."

This is the Arkansas mentality right now for everyone supporting Bilema. Bilema has not done anything right since getting here. He hasn't given us this dreamy run game. He hasn't made us a contender. It's like I've said on other threads, if he was making 2-3 million a year it would be different, but he's drawing 4 million a year because he was supposed to make us a contender, and we have not been that. Not once under Bilema. And we never will. We'll see Miles go somewhere like Ole Miss or A&M and when we're getting crushed by a Miles led Rebels or Aggies, I wonder if we'll still be saying "Oh Miles is a horrible coach." At least he got to two national championships and won one. Bert should as heck hasn't even seen the light of one......he can't even get comfortable in the top 25 with us.....

PygmalionEffect2

QuoteLes Miles successfully proved only one thing, mainly that there is so much talent in Louisiana, that a slightly above average coach can win a lot of games, and even a NC with the right luck with Saban's players.

Fixed it for ya.

I considered this idea for a second or two, but then I remembered that Les can't pronounce Arkansas.

That would be a little awkward in press conferences.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

Roaringboar

Quote from: PygmalionEffect2 on September 26, 2017, 06:37:48 pm
Fixed it for ya.

I considered this idea for a second or two, but then I remembered that Les can't pronounce Arkansas.

That would be a little awkward in press conferences.

That's crap. He got to a second national championship game with his own talent, players, staff, and system. What hurt him then was that they got cocky. They still beat Alabama in the regular season, but they lost focus in the Championship. The kids were in New Orleans, home turf, being told by everyone they saw they were the best. They were doomed from the start in that one, and Bama was ticked. Saban is like the NCAA version of Beilichik. There was no way he was going to lose the same game twice. He learned from their LSU downfall and learned from it. So Miles lost that season to a guy considered by all the best in college football, years after his players were out of the system....that makes him incompetent. You guys are just giving him crap because he was LSU guy, and for years they gut stomped us, especially that last year with Petrino. Miles would be a homerun hire. We'll never get him, but he would be perfect for our program. It would be a drastic increase in potential than our current, tear-eyed, bumbling excuse of a head coach we have now. 

Wildhog

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 26, 2017, 06:33:27 pm
This ignorance is what hurts our fanbase. No one can provide any evidence why Miles would be bad here. He sure as hell won at LSU, and he won at OK State before that. He has done well everywhere he has been. Why won't he do well here?

"Oh this is Arkansas. We suck, have no talent, have no hope, and so we'll settle for paying a horrible coach 4 million a year just to be a crap team every season."

This is the Arkansas mentality right now for everyone supporting Bilema. Bilema has not done anything right since getting here. He hasn't given us this dreamy run game. He hasn't made us a contender. It's like I've said on other threads, if he was making 2-3 million a year it would be different, but he's drawing 4 million a year because he was supposed to make us a contender, and we have not been that. Not once under Bilema. And we never will. We'll see Miles go somewhere like Ole Miss or A&M and when we're getting crushed by a Miles led Rebels or Aggies, I wonder if we'll still be saying "Oh Miles is a horrible coach." At least he got to two national championships and won one. Bert should as heck hasn't even seen the light of one......he can't even get comfortable in the top 25 with us.....

Absolutely no one is defending Bielema. 

1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

There has literally never been a moment in my life when I looked at the LSU sideline and thought, "Man, I wish Les Miles was our coach."

There HAVE been MANY moments when I looked at the LSU sideline and thought, "Man, I'm so glad Les Miles is LSU's coach."
1909/1964/1965/1977

Roaringboar

Quote from: Wildhog on September 26, 2017, 06:48:45 pm
Absolutely no one is defending Bielema.

If that's the case, Miles makes sense.  There's no way you can say Bilema is a better ball coach than Miles without defending Bilema every step of the way. Before people say, "Miles can only coach talented players" Well Bert's been recruiting top 25 classes almost every season, and we have yet seen anything of it. Last year we finished 8-5, and that seems to be our peak as we now look to finish with no more than 5 wins this year.......

If it were Miles, we might be bummed because we're winning 8 instead of 9 or 10.......

Roaringboar

Quote from: Wildhog on September 26, 2017, 06:50:57 pm
There has literally never been a moment in my life when I looked at the LSU sideline and thought, "Man, I wish Les Miles was our coach."

There HAVE been MANY moments when I looked at the LSU sideline and thought, "Man, I'm so glad Les Miles is LSU's coach."

Oh yeah, what's not to like about a guy who's statisically one of the greatest coaches in LSU history. He just, you know, won games, recruited great talent, won bowl games, finished in the top 20 regularly. Oh yeah, that sucks so bad......

Again, it's nothing more than petty nonsense. Hard feelings from the times LSU beat us with Miles. Sure we beat him, but he seemed to beat us right when it mattered most that we win......

Wildhog

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 26, 2017, 06:53:50 pm
If that's the case, Miles makes sense.  There's no way you can say Bilema is a better ball coach than Miles without defending Bilema every step of the way. Before people say, "Miles can only coach talented players" Well Bert's been recruiting top 25 classes almost every season, and we have yet seen anything of it. Last year we finished 8-5, and that seems to be our peak as we now look to finish with no more than 5 wins this year.......

If it were Miles, we might be bummed because we're winning 8 instead of 9 or 10.......

The 25th ranked recruiting class is good for about 10th in the SEC.
1909/1964/1965/1977

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 26, 2017, 02:35:37 pm
I'm down with that, but I don't see Miles keeping Enos, and honestly, it's Enos' offense that is shooting us in the foot right now. I read a story the other day that was talking about how Arkansas isn't the same run program we were the first couple of years in the Bilema era, and they're right. We like to pass the ball around way too much, and we don't have a very strong power run game like we did with J-Will and Collins in the backfield.

Our offense was hot garbage in 2013 and 2014. Enos may be underwhelming thisnyear, but there's no question that he was a benifit to he program until now.

Roaringboar

Quote from: Wildhog on September 26, 2017, 06:56:31 pm
The 25th ranked recruiting class is good for about 10th in the SEC.

Huh, isn't that the job of a coach though.....to develop his talent.......Miles sure developed his, and he brought them to LSU with no problem.......sounds like he was a good coach to me.......

Wildhog

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 26, 2017, 06:55:53 pm
Oh yeah, what's not to like about a guy who's statisically one of the greatest coaches in LSU history. He just, you know, won games, recruited great talent, won bowl games, finished in the top 20 regularly. Oh yeah, that sucks so bad......

Again, it's nothing more than petty nonsense. Hard feelings from the times LSU beat us with Miles. Sure we beat him, but he seemed to beat us right when it mattered most that we win......

lol, why would a Hog fan have any hard feelings toward Les?  Considering the talent disparity, we did pretty friggin' great against him.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 26, 2017, 06:58:54 pm
Huh, isn't that the job of a coach though.....to develop his talent.......Miles sure developed his, and he brought them to LSU with no problem.......sounds like he was a good coach to me.......

Sounds like a great job to me.  Surrounded by 4 and 5-stars.  Am I being trolled?
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

There's zero evidence that he'd be anything more than what Bielema has been at Arkansas.  None.

And I'm pretty sure I'm being trolled, but this idea needs to be shouted down at every opportunity.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HoggyCat

Miles won't be able to get near the talent he did there. Talk about "Les with more"....
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: The Boar War on September 26, 2017, 05:57:14 pm
That staff will probably not be in College Station next year.

True, but his defense still sucks.

hogfan14

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 26, 2017, 06:33:27 pm

Miles is past his prime. I mean hell we might as well hire Spurrier.

The guy you're wanting him to replace beat Miles by 17 his last two years at LSU with significantly less talent. Our offense would be even less creative than it is now.

cypert2

Quote from: WOOPIGMAN on September 26, 2017, 02:44:20 pm
I truly think there is such thing as being an SEC coach. Les Miles is an SEC coach, that's an upgrade, and I think he won a natty
Are you guys serious? Les Miles would be worse than what we got now. Gene Cheesedick won a natty. Why don't you want him?
Swinging on the two and the four.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 26, 2017, 02:35:37 pm
I'm down with that, but I don't see Miles keeping Enos, and honestly, it's Enos' offense that is shooting us in the foot right now. I read a story the other day that was talking about how Arkansas isn't the same run program we were the first couple of years in the Bilema era, and they're right. We like to pass the ball around way too much, and we don't have a very strong power run game like we did with J-Will and Collins in the backfield.

Offense isn't losing the games. When you score 43, you should win.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

shotgun7

If BB is fired, we need either a big name that can bring in big time players or we are going to have to get lucky on an up an comer with a fire in the belly that can coach kids up... Les Miles, while a known name will not bring in 4-5* kids at Arkansas. And he is not a good enough coach to coach up 3* players to compete in the SEC W.

Wildhog

Quote from: shotgun7 on September 26, 2017, 09:22:10 pm
If BB is fired, we need either a big name that can bring in big time players or we are going to have to get lucky on an up an comer with a fire in the belly that can coach kids up... Les Miles, while a known name will not bring in 4-5* kids at Arkansas. And he is not a good enough coach to coach up 3* players to compete in the SEC W.

Recruiting can get a little better, but we need a brilliant x's and o's coach more than anything.
1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on September 26, 2017, 07:01:21 pm
There's zero evidence that he'd be anything more than what Bielema has been at Arkansas.  None.

And I'm pretty sure I'm being trolled, but this idea needs to be shouted down at every opportunity.

I applaud you for fighting this long with all these idiots or trolls.  If anyone thinks Les would be a good option here, they are either joking or just not very intelligent in regards to football. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on September 26, 2017, 03:04:12 pm
Miles would be worse than Bielema at Arkansas.  It would be a catastrophic hire.

Yes, he would.  The formula for winning at Arkansas has already been demonstrated, and it's not putting the worst passing QBs in the SEC on the field and having them toss the ball five yards back to a tailback and trying to run it down the opponents' throats.  That quit working for him even with LSU talent.

As far as which assistants stay, it would be silly to hire a new coach but stipulate that he has to keep assistants from the previous staff.  Let him pick his own staff.

rhames

Quote from: Wildhog on September 26, 2017, 09:31:12 pm
Recruiting can get a little better, but we need a brilliant x's and o's coach more than anything.

Yeap.

Arkansas will always recruit in the 18 to 28ish range. The right guy could bring a top 15 class here but most likely not consistently.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: cypert2 on September 26, 2017, 09:07:23 pm
Are you guys serious? Les Miles would be worse than what we got now. Gene Cheesedick won a natty. Why don't you want him?

Barry Switzer, Jimmy Johnson, and Pete Carol all won nattys too, as well as Super Bowls AND all three have deep Arkansas ties.   Arkansas can get the money, any amount, to land one of them... (everyone has a price)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

PorkSoda

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 27, 2017, 07:56:27 pm
Barry Switzer, Jimmy Johnson, and Pete Carol all won nattys too, as well as Super Bowls AND all three have deep Arkansas ties.   Arkansas can get the money, any amount, to land one of them... (everyone has a price)
not with the mortgage payment we have on that stadium expansion.  the program is on the hook for 160 mill. 

with reports of revenues being down this year, we won't be shelling out cash for a buy out or a new coach.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 27, 2017, 08:00:05 pm
not with the mortgage payment we have on that stadium expansion.  the program is on the hook for 160 mill. 
Jerry Jones lines his waste paper baskets with more than that.....  Arkansas can come up with the money..

PorkSoda

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 27, 2017, 08:01:41 pm
Jerry Jones lines his waste paper baskets with more than that.....  Arkansas can come up with the money..
lol, rich people don't become rich by wasting money
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Roaringboar

This blog just demonstrates how ignorant our fanbase is. Everyone says, "Miles would be such a horrible hire" when there are no stats to back that up. They say, "Bilema is better now than Miles would ever be". Whatever. Bilema in no way compares to Miles. Miles is clearly the better coach. But hey, that's why our team continues to disappoint us, we support horrible coaches like Nutt and Bilema to the point it's too late and rather think smart and get a real coach who can do us some real good, we just go and get another dissapointment....

DLUXHOG

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 27, 2017, 08:03:14 pm
lol, rich people don't become rich by wasting money

Jerry wouldn't call spending $$ on the Hogs a "waste "....

ADavisTheGOAT

Hire Venables. Hire a proven OC who runs a wide open spread offense and give him full control. Hire a DC who's Venables trusts.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

PorkSoda

Quote from: Roaringboar on September 27, 2017, 08:03:29 pm
This blog just demonstrates how ignorant our fanbase is. Everyone says, "Miles would be such a horrible hire" when there are no stats to back that up. They say, "Bilema is better now than Miles would ever be". Whatever. Bilema in no way compares to Miles. Miles is clearly the better coach. But hey, that's why our team continues to disappoint us, we support horrible coaches like Nutt and Bilema to the point it's too late and rather think smart and get a real coach who can do us some real good, we just go and get another dissapointment....
miles is senile and past his prime.  you might have had a point 10 years ago.