Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's Keep This Train Rollin

Started by RyeHogFan, March 02, 2016, 10:10:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RyeHogFan

Maybe I'm just still on an emotional high from the Bama win, but it sure seems like we can play with just about any team in our league. It'll be interesting to see how the SEC Tourney plays out for us.

daprospecta

My buddy laughed at me last night but I told him, we finish the season on a 5 game winning streak and get to the championship game, we are on the right side of the bubble.

Uncommon

We were expected to go 1-4 or 2-3 the last 5 games.  We're currently 4-0.  Good job Hogs!

hogwood

Quote from: daprospecta on March 02, 2016, 10:14:39 pm
My buddy laughed at me last night but I told him, we finish the season on a 5 game winning streak and get to the championship game, we are on the right side of the bubble.

I think so too. If we lose in SEC championship game that would make us 20-15. Might get the play-in game slot as a 12 seed or 11 seed.

lynbug

Quote from: hogwood on March 03, 2016, 11:47:10 am
I think so too. If we lose in SEC championship game that would make us 20-15. Might get the play-in game slot as a 12 seed or 11 seed.

These road wins are especially important going into the tournament since, technically, they will all be road games.  I may be imagining this but it seems that this team is taking on a different appearance.  It may simply be experience and confidence from the road wins.

FATHAWG08

This team has overachieved it's preseason outlook for sure. When this team is playing it's game they're one of funniest Hogs teams to watch in a long time. But their depth & the pressure of the Big 3 to perform at a high level has made this season a roller coaster ride for sure. I'm not putting any expectations for the remainder of the season I'm going to ride it out & hope for the best. #WPS  :razorback: :razorback:
I love off season Football!!

Atlhogfan1

What's been different?

12.5 pt home favorites over Mizzou and W

4 pt home favorites over LSU in their first SEC game without Hornsby and W

2 pt underdogs for some reason to a Tenn team missing 33ppg and a team we beat by 18 three weeks earlier with those players

1.5pt underdogs to an 11 loss Bama team and W by 1.  Bama is one of the worst shooting and offensive teams in college basketball.  We were outscored by 6 in the second half. 

Is it the Hogs are suddenly peaking or are they back to playing competitively again after the Miss/AU slump while having their key core players available?

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Breems

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 03, 2016, 12:26:24 pm
What's been different?

12.5 pt home favorites over Mizzou and W

4 pt home favorites over LSU in their first SEC game without Hornsby and W

2 pt underdogs for some reason to a Tenn team missing 33ppg and a team we beat by 18 three weeks earlier with those players

1.5pt underdogs to an 11 loss Bama team and W by 1.  Bama is one of the worst shooting and offensive teams in college basketball.  We were outscored by 6 in the second half. 

Is it the Hogs are suddenly peaking or are they back to playing competitively again after the Miss/AU slump while having their key core players available?

Not much has changed. Favorable opponents and situations on the road. Same team that nearly beat Wake/Florida/etc.

Completely out-manned Tennessee. Used our high-powered offense to get past a defensive Bama team that can't score.

Not that those are anything to complain about. Great wins with some coin-toss situations finally going our way.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Breems on March 03, 2016, 12:49:53 pm
Not much has changed. Favorable opponents and situations on the road. Same team that nearly beat Wake/Florida/etc.

Completely out-manned Tennessee. Used our high-powered offense to get past a defensive Bama team that can't score.

Not that those are anything to complain about. Great wins with some coin-toss situations finally going our way.

Nothing to complain about at all.  That Mizzou game came at a great time.  No idea how the team would have reacted had that been a trip to Rupp or College Station and the after effects.  Instead, we got Mizzou at home and any notion the team or staff were quitting were gone.  Got confidence back.  The way the end of the sched has setup has ended up beneficial.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jjdlc

Depends on what our RPI is at that point.  Right now our RPI is 111, if we can't get our RPI below at least 65 by then, it will probably take winning the tourney.  Probably will anyway, too many bad losses.

Dominicanhog

I've been pushing this dream for a week and a half... glad to have you on board... those empty seats are going start filling up real soon... :razorback: ;D

MikePiazza

I just went and looked at all the NCAA tournaments since 2008, and the most losses a team had with an at-large bid is 14, and there were about four teams like that in 2011.

This year is a soft bubble, but I can't see the committee justify giving Arkansas an at-large bid with 15 losses. 20-15 probably gets us a NIT home game, though.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Danny J

We have to win the SECt to make the dance...too many bad losses. We can be a 2 seed in the NIT if we win out to SECt champ game...JMO.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MikePiazza on March 03, 2016, 01:25:26 pm
I just went and looked at all the NCAA tournaments since 2008, and the most losses a team had with an at-large bid is 14, and there were about four teams like that in 2011.

This year is a soft bubble, but I can't see the committee justify giving Arkansas an at-large bid with 15 losses. 20-15 probably gets us a NIT home game, though.

This is probably the weakest field ever.  2011 was the worst.  Louisville and SMU being ineligible weakens it even more. 

code red

RPI is too high....we need to win it all or no way.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

MikePiazza

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 03, 2016, 01:38:14 pm
This is probably the weakest field ever.  2011 was the worst.  Louisville and SMU being ineligible weakens it even more.

Yep, but at 15 losses, they're not getting in. Gotta win the SECT to get in.

Uncommon

We're 44 spots away from an at-large tournament bid.  Only way we're getting in is if we win the conference tourney.  Fans should set more of their sights on an NIT bid which we still have to earn Saturday and our first conference tourney game.

daprospecta

Quote from: Uncommon on March 03, 2016, 03:23:56 pm
We're 44 spots away from an at-large tournament bid.  Only way we're getting in is if we win the conference tourney.  Fans should set more of their sights on an NIT bid which we still have to earn Saturday and our first conference tourney game.
You seem to be quite knowledgeable on this topic. We can add at a minimum 3 quality wins if we make it to the championship game. Ignoring record, what more would we need?  It would seem we would have enough quality wins and I'm sure our rpi would jump significantly.

Uncommon

Quote from: daprospecta on March 03, 2016, 04:18:17 pm
You seem to be quite knowledgeable on this topic. We can add at a minimum 3 quality wins if we make it to the championship game. Ignoring record, what more would we need?  It would seem we would have enough quality wins and I'm sure our rpi would jump significantly.
We don't have any blockbuster opponents, such as a Kentucky, left on our schedule to garner a big jump.  Beating South Carolina gives us a bump to a 7 or maybe a 6 seed in the NIT.  Even if we were to make it to the SEC Tournament final, we wouldn't be close to having the resume of an at large.  That's why we would need to win the conference tournament if we want any shot in the NCAA Tournament.  Right now we have the #89 best at large tournament resume.  You need to be in the 1-45 range to be competitive for an at large bid.

MikePiazza

Quote from: Uncommon on March 03, 2016, 04:21:57 pm
We don't have any blockbuster opponents, such as a Kentucky, left on our schedule to garner a big jump.  Beating South Carolina gives us a bump to a 7 or maybe a 6 seed in the NIT.  Even if we were to win the SEC Tournament, we wouldn't be close to having the resume of an at large.  That's why we would need to win the conference tournament if we want any shot in the NCAA Tournament.

Uhhhhhhhh....

Uncommon

pigmailyen

Your buddy had the right idea...