Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wednesday's Game

Started by lynbug, February 29, 2016, 05:13:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lynbug

I'm amazed---no one talking about Wednesday's game.  I've also been listening to Drive Time and they're talking about desperately searching for our baseball games on tv.  Now Trey Biddy (sp?) talking about football.  What gives?  We need to be excited cause we're playing to stay out of the Wednesday night games  in the tourney.  I guess most basketball fans have cashed in their chips. (Or maybe we all realize it's a road game against a team as desperate as us).

HiggiePiggy

Surprised? Why would you be? It has been a disappointing year. Lots are ready to watch baseball. People are tired of seeing the same stuff. We should have at least 4 or 5 more wins, but we don't because of our inconsistent play.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Atlhogfan1

Interest waned after the Mississippi week and AU game with the NFL combine and start of college baseball season. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: lynbug on February 29, 2016, 05:13:24 pm
I'm amazed---no one talking about Wednesday's game.  I've also been listening to Drive Time and they're talking about desperately searching for our baseball games on tv.  Now Trey Biddy (sp?) talking about football.  What gives?  We need to be excited cause we're playing to stay out of the Wednesday night games  in the tourney.  I guess most basketball fans have cashed in their chips. (Or maybe we all realize it's a road game against a team as desperate as us).

Alabama has a lot more riding on this game than we do because, depending on how they finish, they still have an outside shot at an at large bid. We are just trying to make the NIT right now.

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

HoopS

There will only be substantial talk of this game if we lose.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: HoopS on February 29, 2016, 07:49:10 pm

If we lose its what a lot are expecting. If we win then it's just a reminder of what the season could have been.

Danny J

All I care about from here in out is that trey, Jimmy and Anton continue to get more minutes to prepare for next year.

hogwood

Quote from: Danny J on February 29, 2016, 08:09:40 pm
All I care about from here in out is that trey, Jimmy and Anton continue to get more minutes to prepare for next year.

Exactly. They need to be the biggest ones to step up next year. If they do, and they should, we will have a good team with Kingsley, Hannahs, and the JUCO's.

k.c.hawg

Player development from here out. My interest at this point is fueled by the continuing improvement of Trey, Jimmy and Anton, while watching the admirable play of Dusty, Moses and a deserving senior Anthlon.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

PonderinHog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 29, 2016, 08:31:21 pm
Player development from here out. My interest at this point is fueled by the continuing improvement of Trey, Jimmy and Anton, while watching the admirable play of Dusty, Moses and a deserving senior Anthlon.
Don't forget Durham.  He's had a decent year and he's a senior.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 29, 2016, 08:33:11 pm
Don't forget Durham.  He's had a decent year and he's a senior.

Absolutely! Dude has shown amazing improvement and knocked down some big shots. Showing admirable leadership for the younger guys to follow in the years to come.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

latrops

That actually doesn't generate much enthusiasm or excitement.  We'd all like for the team to win a few more and at least get into the NIT, but you really can't believe in this year's team. 

panhandlepig

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on February 29, 2016, 07:27:40 pm
Alabama has a lot more riding on this game than we do because, depending on how they finish, they still have an outside shot at an at large bid. We are just trying to make the NIT right now.

All the more reason to watch and hope we dash Bamas hopes into the ground.   :razorback:

pigture perfect

I have let go of any optimism I have for this team winning games. They play well as they have the last 3, then unexplainable go on a losing spree.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

mbgrulz

LOL @ people who say we should have more wins than we do.

Nipsey Mussle

Truer words have never been spoken.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 29, 2016, 09:58:19 pm
LOL @ people who say we should have more wins than we do.

really?  Stanford? So we shouldn't have won that game?  How about at home against Auburn? 

BRHogfan

Actually, we can't be in the Wednesday game technically.  Mizzou is not playing in the SEC Tournament.

Auburn is 3 games behind us, and Tennessee is 2 games behind and we have the tie-breaker because we beat them twice. 

Those two will play on Wednesday. 

Winning both of these games this week could potentially get us into starting on Friday, but that will take some nice losses by the teams ahead of us. 

bighog2255

I haven't watched this team for one second since the Miss St debacle. It hurts too badly to watch the program I love so much sink again to being a bad team in a weak conference. I'm not proud of it, but I just can't torture myself anymore. I'm sure I will tune back in when the SEC tourney starts

lynbug

Quote from: BRHogfan on March 01, 2016, 07:42:00 am
Actually, we can't be in the Wednesday game technically.  Mizzou is not playing in the SEC Tournament.

Auburn is 3 games behind us, and Tennessee is 2 games behind and we have the tie-breaker because we beat them twice. 

Those two will play on Wednesday. 

Winning both of these games this week could potentially get us into starting on Friday, but that will take some nice losses by the teams ahead of us.

Sorry, I thought that the bottom 4 played on Wed.  And the statement about "being excited about staying out of the bottom four was a bit of sarcasm--couldn't resist.  But seriously, this is the first year I can remember that it is the last week of the basketball season and very few want to talk about it---even Drive Time Spots.  Just seems kinda sad.  Guess I'm more out of touch with reality.  I'm still holding out for the NIT.  I think that would great for this team.

lynbug

Quote from: bighog2255 on March 01, 2016, 08:21:04 am
I haven't watched this team for one second since the Miss St debacle. It hurts too badly to watch the program I love so much sink again to being a bad team in a weak conference. I'm not proud of it, but I just can't torture myself anymore. I'm sure I will tune back in when the SEC tourney starts

Actually, I feel exactly like you do, but I continue to punish myself--I find  my eyes glued to the game (like a moth drawn to a flame), hoping to notice any signs of improvement and hope for the future.

BRHogfan

Quote from: lynbug on March 01, 2016, 08:51:35 am
Sorry, I thought that the bottom 4 played on Wed.  And the statement about "being excited about staying out of the bottom four was a bit of sarcasm--couldn't resist.  But seriously, this is the first year I can remember that it is the last week of the basketball season and very few want to talk about it---even Drive Time Spots.  Just seems kinda sad.  Guess I'm more out of touch with reality.  I'm still holding out for the NIT.  I think that would great for this team.

I get it.  Baseball is pretty exciting right now.  I understand why people are talking about Baseball instead of Basketball.  A 4 game run next weekend would get people pretty excited about Basketball.

TomBigBeeHog

I don't know, maybe the basher's are running out of threads they can create for things that they can compare to the basketball team that (to them) will put the team, CMA and the state of the program in a negative light.

At one point there seemed to be a negative thread started every 30 minutes. Good to see that has cooled off some. Maybe they are reloading.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Razorpigg

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 29, 2016, 07:54:00 pm
If we lose its what a lot are expecting. If we win then it's just a reminder of what the season could have been.

LOL @ what could have been? What kind of season exactly were YOU expecting? I think its played out about where I thought it would after losing what we did.  Finish strong here, get an NIT bid, and work towards next year.  Anyone that expected more were just setting themselves up for disappointment IMO.

bighog2255

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 01, 2016, 09:49:10 am
At one point there seemed to be a negative thread started every 30 minutes. Good to see that has cooled off some. Maybe they are reloading.

I think its general apathy at this team and the program. Which is more harmful than the criticism IMO

Kevin

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 01, 2016, 09:49:10 am
I don't know, maybe the basher's are running out of threads they can create for things that they can compare to the basketball team that (to them) will put the team, CMA and the state of the program in a negative light.

tired of arguing same points 

nobody is going to change anyone's mind
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Kevin on March 01, 2016, 11:10:44 am
tired of arguing same points 

nobody is going to change anyone's mind
^^^ this. Things speak for themselves
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

TomBigBeeHog

Gonna be tough to go and get a road win at Bama.

We will have to make some perimeter shots, get Moses some looks early and often, battle them to a draw on the boards and limit turnovers while keeping one of their guys from having a career night from 3.

Trey, Whitt and Beard need to continue their recent production and Watkins needs to bring the energy and effort plays while avoiding having to shoot 1 and 1's (he needs to fear free throw attempts as much as a goat is scared of a butcher's knife).

Miles is the most predictable in terms of production this year. Pretty much the same every game. Five fouls and he needs to get his money's worth on each one. He doesn't need to have any turnovers or air balls from the free throw line in this game and we should be good there.

Defense will continue to be shaky, especially with Dusty in the lineup. But if we get all of the above, plus 15 Bama turnovers, we should walk out of there with a 89-86 win in overtime.

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: bighog2255 on March 01, 2016, 08:21:04 am

I was about to jump on you but I realized I haven't been watching them on TV either, and I try to stay pretty positive.

lynbug

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 01, 2016, 02:26:27 pm
Gonna be tough to go and get a road win at Bama.

We will have to make some perimeter shots, get Moses some looks early and often, battle them to a draw on the boards and limit turnovers while keeping one of their guys from having a career night from 3.

Trey, Whitt and Beard need to continue their recent production and Watkins needs to bring the energy and effort plays while avoiding having to shoot 1 and 1's (he needs to fear free throw attempts as much as a goat is scared of a butcher's knife).

Miles is the most predictable in terms of production this year. Pretty much the same every game. Five fouls and he needs to get his money's worth on each one. He doesn't need to have any turnovers or air balls from the free throw line in this game and we should be good there.

]Defense will continue to be shaky, especially with Dusty in the lineup. But if we get all of the above, plus 15 Bama turnovers, we should walk out of there with a 89-86 win in overtime.

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

If Miles doesn't perform as you mentioned it will be a first.  How about just not starting him.  It couldn't be worse, could it?  I kinda like Thompson and Kingsley on the floor together.  Again, I'm not as knowledgeable as you---just an observation. 

PonderinHog

TBH, you made me LOL. 

If we shoot like we did against Tenn, we have a chance.  :razorback:

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 01, 2016, 02:41:05 pm
TBH, you made me LOL. 

If we shoot like we did against Tenn, we have a chance.  :razorback:

There is hope and I'll be tuned in again. I want us to spank that mighty mouse looking coach of theirs right back into cartoon land. I swear, if you put a cape on him, he would kinda remind you of Mighty Mouse.

TNhawgfan

We beat three ranked opponents in baseball last weekend, and none of them were played at home. Basketball team wouldn't beat three ranked teams away from home in a season
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 01, 2016, 08:39:05 pm
We beat three ranked opponents in baseball last weekend, and none of them were played at home. Basketball team wouldn't beat three ranked teams away from home in a season

Baseball team is ranked, not surprising they would beat a ranked team.  Basketball team is in a down year, which everyone knew already. But go ahead with the useless comparisons.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 01, 2016, 09:25:57 pm
Baseball team is ranked, not surprising they would beat a ranked team.  Basketball team is in a down year, which everyone knew already. But go ahead with the useless comparisons.
They didn't beat a ranked team, they went into Houston and beat three different ranked Texas teams. And no, people were not expecting a weekend sweep. It's not a useless comparison. It's showing why hog fans have already moved on from this tragedy of a basketball team
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 02, 2016, 06:15:28 am
They didn't beat a ranked team, they went into Houston and beat three different ranked Texas teams. And no, people were not expecting a weekend sweep. It's not a useless comparison. It's showing why hog fans have already moved on from this tragedy of a basketball team

OK ,  move on then.

lynbug

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 01, 2016, 03:40:26 pm
There is hope and I'll be tuned in again. I want us to spank that mighty mouse looking coach of theirs right back into cartoon land. I swear, if you put a cape on him, he would kinda remind you of Mighty Mouse.

I LOVE the Mighty Mouse comparison.  I knew he reminded me of someone.  But the way the sports analysts talk about him you would think he should be wearing the cape. Avery Johnson did this.....Avery Johnson done that......Avery, Avery, Avery.  Yea, I would LOVE to beat his team tonight.  What would the analysts say then.

Letsroll1200

If truth be told many on this board did not believe this team would be in a position to win 10 games in league play. As bad as the season has been in some cases that is a huge accomplishment for this roster.

HoopS

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 02, 2016, 09:12:38 am
If truth be told many on this board did not believe this team would be in a position to win 10 games in league play. As bad as the season has been in some cases that is a huge accomplishment for this roster.
there was talk of >60 points a game.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 02, 2016, 09:12:38 am

When we as Arkansas fans celebrate this season as a huge accomplishment, we are doomed to less than mediocrity for a long time to come.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Dominicanhog

Spreading the positive mojo... this is win #4 during our soon to be 8 game win streak,,,, :razorback:

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 02, 2016, 01:48:00 pm
When we as Arkansas fans celebrate this season as a huge accomplishment, we are doomed to less than mediocrity for a long time to come.

The question isn't whether a perennial NIT team is what we want for the program (show me anyone who has ever said that here), it's whether it would be a good accomplishment for this roster this season, who we knew would struggle pretty much as soon as Qualls announced he was leaving, and then lost some more players.

jjdlc

Saying something is better than expected isn't the same thing as celebrating it. 

BRHogfan

I'm just glad we found some players on this team that will be able to contribute next season.  I'll celebrate that.

code red

I'd say this is a huge game for the Hogs tonight.  If they could pull this off and win the next 2...maybe one in the SEC tourny...I could see them in the NIT.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

lynbug

Quote from: code red on March 02, 2016, 03:06:23 pm
I'd say this is a huge game for the Hogs tonight.  If they could pull this off and win the next 2...maybe one in the SEC tourny...I could see them in the NIT.
I

Absolutely.  This is also my hope and they should win tonight IMHO.  Bama has had some inconsistensies also.  And, after having watched Bama play several times, contrary to conventional wisdom, Obasahan (sp?) can be shut down somewhat.  If we win tonight I think we win on Saturday.  Tonight is the biggie.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on March 01, 2016, 03:40:26 pm