Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How much Carcoal do you use and your favorite brand.

Started by DeltaBoy, July 07, 2012, 04:22:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmodrum

Quote from: PharmacistHog on August 14, 2014, 10:41:52 am
If you are ever in Benton, run by harp's and grab a few bags of that Ozark Oak.  It's like 5.49 a bag and it just seems better than royal oak to me. 

I like Ozark Oak when I can find it.
Go away, batin'

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on August 14, 2014, 10:41:52 am
If you are ever in Benton, run by harp's and grab a few bags of that Ozark Oak.  It's like 5.49 a bag and it just seems better than royal oak to me.

At your insistence I bought a bag of OA from harp's, and I've made the switch.  It just seems to burn more evenly, and there aren't as many useless small pieces in the bottom of the bag.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on August 14, 2014, 04:27:36 pm
At your insistence I bought a bag of OA from harp's, and I've made the switch.  It just seems to burn more evenly, and there aren't as many useless small pieces in the bottom of the bag.

Seems dumb that it would be better, but its better. 
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

civilHOG

Quote from: PharmacistHog on August 14, 2014, 04:59:14 pm
Seems dumb that it would be better, but its better.

What he said. I've noticed a big difference.  If I can help it, I won't be using anything else!

DeltaBoy

I going to go back to Royal Oak since it gets hot faster and stays hot longer than Kingsford.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

twistitup

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 04, 2014, 10:20:10 am
I going to go back to Royal Oak since it gets hot faster and stays hot longer than Kingsford.

What about Ozark Oak?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

twistitup

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 04, 2014, 03:25:52 pm

Wally World in TX has not been keeping in stock this summer.

Tell the mgr.  - but knowing WM it's all about bulk buying and profit margins, they may be out of stock on purpose.

DeltaBoy

That Clown we got is a total Joke! I am surprised he able to keep Royal Oak and Kingsford in stock.

DeltaBoy

High School Band contest down here in TEXAS are killing me and my Grilling time.

Boog41

Anyone know if all Harps stopped carrying ozark charcoal?? I shop at the hwy 65/45 harps in Fayetteville and they had new Best Buy brand.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Boog41 on May 31, 2015, 10:24:24 pm
Anyone know if all Harps stopped carrying ozark charcoal?? I shop at the hwy 65/45 harps in Fayetteville and they had new Best Buy brand.

Okark oak went out of business a month or two ago. Only charcoal hoarders like pharmhog have any left.  ::)

Boog41

Wow. Ok, thanks for the info. I had not heard that.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 31, 2015, 10:26:34 pm
Okark oak went out of business a month or two ago. Only charcoal hoarders like pharmhog have any left.  ::)
Hey now. I can't help it if I'm a doomsday prepper. Im down to about ten bags now, so I'm getting nervous.
Millennials suck...

Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

DeltaBoy

Sad to hear Ozark Oak is gone but I going to get some more Royal Oak soon.

PharmacistHog

For those of you who burn through a LOT of ozark oak and want a better (not cheaper) alternative, you can order rockwood lump from firecraft.com.  Free shipping on orders over 100 bucks.  It averages out to about 22 or 23 dollars for a 20lb bag.  Its good stuff, just not as cheap as ozark oak was.  I think Ozark oak sold out.  Can't find out if its gonna now be a rebrand or what. 
Millennials suck...

Boog41

Thanks Pharm.... I'll look into the Rockwood. I go through quite a when the weather is good.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boog41 on June 01, 2015, 12:11:07 pm
Thanks Pharm.... I'll look into the Rockwood. I go through quite a when the weather is good.

are you in Central arkansas?
Millennials suck...

Boog41

jrulz83

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boog41 on June 01, 2015, 12:52:44 pm
Nope. In Fayettenam

You MIGHT find it up that way somewhere.  Comes out of St Louis. 
Millennials suck...

Boog41

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 01, 2015, 03:00:52 pm
You MIGHT find it up that way somewhere.  Comes out of St Louis. 

OK..thanks... I'll do some checking around.

woodrow hog call

Cowboy Lump, or something like that, Yeagers or Atwoods, might be the
only place that carries it. I don't think it has any flavor or additive at all.
The pieces are irregular shapes and sizes, just like you burned a bunch of wood
for a while then put it out and gathered it up.

I don't charcoal a lot but that's all I use, seems like SAMs had it in Fort Smith too.

http://www.cowboycharcoal.com/hardwoodlump.html

Just searched, looks like True Value, as well as Ace Hardware carries it.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

RazorWild

I've started using mainly RO lump for everything but low/slow cooks.  For those (butts/brisket). I've been finding Wicked Good Weekend Warior Lump.  It's fantastic for slow burns.  I always have a ton left at the end of a 24 hour cook

PharmacistHog

Quote from: RazorWild on June 01, 2015, 05:33:43 pm
I've started using mainly RO lump for everything but low/slow cooks.  For those (butts/brisket). I've been finding Wicked Good Weekend Warior Lump.  It's fantastic for slow burns.  I always have a ton left at the end of a 24 hour cook

I have never tried WGWW. Never seen it around here but its supposedly great, too. I have had bad experience with Cowboy in my egg. It smokes like an old tire ( at least what I tried). Enough so that I wont try it again.
Millennials suck...

rcopela

I tried "Stubbs" recently and was impressed, seemed to burn hotter and longer.  Looks like "Kingsford" but was better IMO.. Got mine at Lowes in Fayetteville..

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 31, 2015, 10:26:34 pm

Good things never last....damn good charcoal, it's a shame they are gone.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: twistitup on June 02, 2015, 03:40:43 pm
Good things never last....damn good charcoal, it's a shame they are gone.

That rockwood is good, too.  Even though I hoarded up the Ozark Oak, I went ahead and ordered some rockwood.  Good stuff.  Just more expensive. 
Millennials suck...

RazorWild

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 01, 2015, 10:04:19 pm
I have never tried WGWW. Never seen it around here but its supposedly great, too. I have had bad experience with Cowboy in my egg. It smokes like an old tire ( at least what I tried). Enough so that I wont try it again.

I agree.  I liked a few bags of Cowboy for a while but it was inconsistent

jdelo77

Quote from: rcopela on June 02, 2015, 03:32:18 pm
I tried "Stubbs" recently and was impressed, seemed to burn hotter and longer.  Looks like "Kingsford" but was better IMO.. Got mine at Lowes in Fayetteville..

I like Stubbs because it produces a little more smoke than kingsford  !

bigstyx

Really missing the Ozark Oak on my BGE. Thought for sure they just got bought out and would be back under a new brand name, but starting to lose hope. Haven't found a new go to lump yet. Doesn't seem to be a consensus on here. Haven't tried the Royal Oak lump yet, but probably the most likely candidate.

Filthy_McSwine

No complaints with the Royal Oak.  Picked up a bag at the  Walmarks a few days ago and it works fine.

DDD

Quote from: bigstyx on June 25, 2015, 05:07:12 pm
Really missing the Ozark Oak on my BGE. Thought for sure they just got bought out and would be back under a new brand name, but starting to lose hope. Haven't found a new go to lump yet. Doesn't seem to be a consensus on here. Haven't tried the Royal Oak lump yet, but probably the most likely candidate.

Ozark Oak was bought out by Royal Oak. Straight from the Horses Mouth!

bigstyx

Bought my first bag of Royal Oak today. Pretty happy with it....

ozarkshogfan

Quote from: DDD on June 26, 2015, 09:34:07 pm
Ozark Oak was bought out by Royal Oak. Straight from the Horses Mouth!
Hmmm.  I just talked to Steve Martin the owner a couple days ago. Known him and his brother forever, from same town.  He said they are still making charcoal but bagging it for Royal Oak and Big Green Egg. They still own it. I got friends that work there also......

DeltaBoy

MO.Hog

I've started using Cowboy Brand. You can find it at Lowe's.  I love it burns forever and maintains temp.  Cooked a Boston Butt for 10.5 hours on one load of coal, and still had a few reusable coals when I opened it back up the next time. 

Inhogswetrust

Has anyone tried the coconut varieties and if so did you like it?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bigstyx

Have now tried a bag of Royal Oak and a bag of Cowboy. Has anybody else felt like they are getting like triple the amount of ash they used to get with Ozark Oak?

Boarcephus

Just bought my first bag of RO so I guess I'll find out soon enough.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on August 17, 2015, 03:24:09 pm
Just bought my first bag of RO so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Royal Oak ain't that bad.  Its not as good as Ozark Oak, but its good enough. I've just had a bad experience with that Cowboy stuff, and it was bad enough I won't try it again (even if it was a fluke).
Millennials suck...

DeltaBoy

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on August 17, 2015, 03:36:00 pm
Royal Oak ain't that bad.  Its not as good as Ozark Oak, but its good enough. I've just had a bad experience with that Cowboy stuff, and it was bad enough I won't try it again (even if it was a fluke).

I've heard enough bad stuff about Cowboy that I just won't even try it.  I'm hopeful that the RO we get in nw AR might just be OO in a different bag based on what an earlier poster posted.  I suppose if it becomes a big deal I can always run over to Flippin or Yellville and run by his plant and pick up several bags and bring them back.   Several months ago we toyed with the idea of buying a pallet or two of the stuff and splitting it up but I don't really have a place I can store 20 bags. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PorkRinds

I've used the Cowboy brand, and it's not too terribly bad.  The issue I've always had with it is that the bottom 1/4 of the bag is basically gravel sized chunks that are useless.  I've switched to Royal Oak and it's pretty good really.  Not too many small pieces and burns really well so far. 

DeltaBoy

bigstyx

OK, Officially done with Cowboy brand. Against the advice of several here, I gave them a try so I could speak firsthand. As has been mentioned, about a quarter of the bag is indeed useless pea sized gravel. However, the largest piece in the bag was actually a rock!! It probably accounted for 10-15% of the total weight. Never again, really miss Ozark Oak. I guess Royal Oak will be my go to, ash and all.

DeltaBoy

I two bags of Orginal Kingsford left over from the 4th of July. I break it out this weekend.

DeWayne R

I've switched to RO since OO went out of business or changed names. Did 4 10lb pork butts a couple weeks ago and got a fist size rock out of fire basket when I was done.
When you're Black and proud it's called pride but when you're White and proud it's called racism

DeltaBoy

Royal Oak and Kingsford work great for my grilling and my small amount of smoking I been tinkering with.