Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WHO DO WE HIRE IN HEATHS PLACE?

Started by louisianahawg, January 11, 2006, 10:01:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TennesseeRaz

I am confident of this:  Rick Majerus would have Stephen Hill averaging 10-15 points a game within a year.  The guy can coach....

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: Extra Point on January 12, 2006, 07:48:52 am
Mike? Great guy. Wish he were coaching at his alma mater, U. of Tulsa. But he will NEVER coach at Arkansas unless Nolan is deceased. Nolan screwed it up for Mike, plain and simple.

Nolan screwed it up for Mike FOUR years ago.  At the time he was an assistant with no head coaching experience (one of JFB's hiring no-no's)  Mike has now been a HC at UAB since leaving Arkansas and is in his 4th season there.  Look where we are now with hiring our coach with only one season's experience.  We made a mistake. 

Flatfoot

Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

GorillaJMonsoon

Huggins+fried southern food=another heart attack

Mike Anderson would be my choice.

hogsanity

The question really needs ot be " Who would come here right now?"

THe names thrown around are good names, but do you really thing any would come?

Anderson - worked his rear off to build up UAB, sadly right now AR would be a letteral move

Sutton - he is set to take over for Eddie after this year I think.

Knight - okay thats just nutty

Huggins - NCAA investigation waiting to happen

Majerus - this one is the most reasonable one.  He seems to like his tv job, but coaches rarely just fade away without one more try. 

Moncrief - come one people

IF we are looking for a new coach after the season, we will get what we got last time, an "up and comer" who has no idea what SEC BB is all about. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

pfrg999

Quote from: WxHog on January 11, 2006, 10:34:26 pm
Is Nolan still being paid by the U of A? How long is Stan's contract? Can we afford to be paying 3 basketball coaches at one time?

Yes...we did it in nFootball... Crowe, Ford and HDN
The RF had plenty of cash to pay
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: WxHog on January 11, 2006, 10:34:26 pm
Is Nolan still being paid by the U of A? How long is Stan's contract? Can we afford to be paying 3 basketball coaches at one time?

We can't afford not to.  Unless there is a miraculous turnaround (both in coaching style and real winning results), Heath has to be gone after this season.  Attendance will plummet as the season goes on and season ticket sales and RF donations for next season will follow suit if there isn't a change.

Quote from: hogsanity on January 12, 2006, 08:57:19 am
The question really needs ot be " Who would come here right now?"

THe names thrown around are good names, but do you really thing any would come?

Anderson - worked his rear off to build up UAB, sadly right now AR would be a letteral move

Sutton - he is set to take over for Eddie after this year I think.

Knight - okay thats just nutty

Huggins - NCAA investigation waiting to happen

Majerus - this one is the most reasonable one. He seems to like his tv job, but coaches rarely just fade away without one more try.

Moncrief - come one people

IF we are looking for a new coach after the season, we will get what we got last time, an "up and comer" who has no idea what SEC BB is all about.

I basically agree on your take Hogsanity except for the "lateral move" for Mike Anderson.  While Mike currently has the UAB program at a higher level of on-the-court success, UAB will never have the financial support, fan base, and/or facilities that are available at the U of A.  He is destined to move on to a bigger program unless he just desires to remain in his hometown forever.  That is always a distinct possibility, but I think he fully knows what is available at a larger program and knows what is possible at the U of A.

Razorod

Here are six names that I think we can at least talk about. We have to realize it is going to cost us some money:

Rick Majerus
Felton (UGA coach; Rick Barnes disciple)
Mike Anderson (it will take an apology and money)
Gillespie at Tx A$M
Hewitt at Georgia T
Dana Altman at Creighton
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

ledhead830

Butch Davis... he seems to be the answer to a lot of things.
Walk on through the wind. Walk on through the rain.
Though your dreams be tossed and blown,
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.

tulsahog36

To clear this up let me set the record straight:
1. Rick pitino is not going to leav Lousiville for Arkansas
2. Mark Few's comments about Arkansas after the administration rightfully fired Nolan makes him not even on the list
(he just didn't "turn us down once" as another posted said, he spit in the face of our program and school)
3. Mike Anderson--associated with the Nolan regime and still close friends with Nolan means he is off the list
4. Billy Donovan is not going to leave Florida for Arkansas

Starting in March when the search offically begins for a new basketball ("unoffically" some phone calls are being placed to gauge who has interest) Arkansas fans will be pleased with the list Broyles puts together.   But please be more realistic when putting names out on this board.

NWAhogfan

Think Nolan would drop the appeal if we hired Mike Anderson?

SC Hogman

Quote from: NWAhogfan on January 12, 2006, 04:19:21 pm
Think Nolan would drop the appeal if we hired Mike Anderson?

How about a ACC coach like Wake Forest Coach  (Skip Prosser)!!!!

Kevin

brad brownell, unc-wilmington.  .600 overall winning percentage and a .700 conference winning pct.  this year has beaten butler, northwestern, wyoming, lost to wisconsin on a last second shot, lost in the ncaa's two years ago to maryland on a last second shot. the man can coach is butt off.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

pheine78

I disagree about Heath not getting fired this year.  It has been proven that the basketball program can be one of the elite.  Several other coaches have took us to that level.  Heath has had the time, but unless he gets things turned around soon, it is obvious that he doesn't have the ability.  I know that he took Kent St. to the Elite 8, but it seems now that that was an unique situation--because he hasn't been able to duplicate it.  In fact, he hasn't gotten close.  If they don't make the tourny this year, he WILL be gone.
Nolan for defensive coordinator!

three

I hope Bill Self is still interested.  I was chomping at the bid to get him up on the hill, then Nolan went to Atlanta and won four games in four days, that was the end of that.  I don't know if he would leave KU, but he might.

If not Self (he has to be #1, cuz he can coach, recruit, and really, really likes NWA and UA), I really like the Beilein (sp?) guy at West Virginia.  His team runs as smooth an offense as I've seen in a long time.  They may not be as flashy as some SEC and ACC teams, but they could beat a lot of those teams.  Sean Sutton is another guy I would take a long, hard look at.  I don't think you can go to a west coast school or big 10 school, something that far away in culture from Arkansas, and expect the coach to be happy and stay.  You might end up with another Stan Heath situation if you do that.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

SultanofSwine

Hire Majerus and be done with it.  You can bet your ass if he were the coach we would not be playin weakassed, uninspired basketball.

razorbk1

Rick Pitino was available before they hired Heath, and they never even give it a thought. We should be able to bring in a top notch coach, regardless. We have some of the best facilities in the country, and MONEY is not the issue.

Torqued pork

Quote from: SultanofSwine on January 12, 2006, 06:01:26 pm
Hire Majerus and be done with it.  You can bet your ass if he were the coach we would not be playin weakassed, uninspired basketball.
Not only would Majerus be a great hire, but since he's not coaching he might even be willing to go through the idiotic search committee process that John White insist on.