Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Last 4 Years-Where the Majority of SEC Recruits Come From

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, February 11, 2015, 06:43:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redeye

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 12, 2015, 03:48:50 pm
A&M in the SEC is affecting LSU.  They are getting very highly rated recruits out of southern La.  In Texas, we don't affect A&M too much they don't have much affect on us.  That is between them and Texas.
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 12, 2015, 03:52:19 pm
Better options closer like Bama, LSU and AU as well as an easy drive to Tallahassee from southern Miss.  Also have to consider how poor their schools are and some recruits aren't recruitable for our program.  It is a reason S Miss has historically been competitive except very recent seasons.  In state "leftovers" that we can recruit are more plentiful in La, Ga and Fl.

Agree on both accounts.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: redeye on February 12, 2015, 05:26:20 pm
Agree on both accounts.

As I said in my previous post, A&M isn't getting anymore players out of Louisiana now (last 4 years) than they did in the previous 4 years (2011-2008). 9 in each of the four year spans. A&M's presence in the SEC hasn't seemed to have any effect on other teams in the SEC. Look back at the bottom of page 1.
Go Hogs Go!

WyomingTiger8888

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 12, 2015, 03:48:50 pm
A&M in the SEC is affecting LSU.  They are getting very highly rated recruits out of southern La.  In Texas, we don't affect A&M too much they don't have much affect on us.  That is between them and Texas. 
[/quote

nm

redeye

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 12, 2015, 05:42:15 pm
As I said in my previous post, A&M isn't getting anymore players out of Louisiana now (last 4 years) than they did in the previous 4 years (2011-2008). 9 in each of the four year spans. A&M's presence in the SEC hasn't seemed to have any effect on other teams in the SEC. Look back at the bottom of page 1.

I missed that and it's interesting.  I was merely going by what I've noticed from before and after A&M joined the SEC, but your hard numbers say otherwise.  The star ratings are probably better since they joined, as you alluded, but they're also better for A&M in Texas and everywhere else.  I'd do some research to add to your findings, but I'm handicapped by using an old/slow PC right now.  According to 247, however, A&M has only signed 1 LA player with a LSU offer since 1012, though.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: redeye on February 12, 2015, 06:41:29 pm
I missed that and it's interesting.  I was merely going by what I've noticed from before and after A&M joined the SEC, but your hard numbers say otherwise.  The star ratings are probably better since they joined, as you alluded, but they're also better for A&M in Texas and everywhere else.  I'd do some research to add to your findings, but I'm handicapped by using an old/slow PC right now.  According to 247, however, A&M has only signed 1 LA player with a LSU offer since 1012, though.

Just did a quick check, guess how many "highly ranked" players A&M has pulled away from LSU out of the state of Louisiana when LSU has offered them? Exactly 1, Speedy Noil, who everyone was after. But in the last 5 years (and I didn't go back further), that's it.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Geez, didn't mean to shut down the posts by disproving the theory that A&M is really competing with LSU for highly ranked recruits, when they aren't.

Truth is, A&M and Missouri joining the SEC hasn't had a negative effect on us or anyone else in the SEC in recruiting Texas (as was projected when they joined) or anywhere else for that matter. In fact, Missouri's recruiting in Texas has signficantly diminished since they joined the SEC and A&M's recruiting philosophy has remained the same as before for the most part with the exception of more emphasis in Arizona.
Go Hogs Go!

CattleCorn

Atlhogfan1

Kapita news overshadowed this discussion.  WR's like Noil is one of the areas that has made LSU great for so long.  They roll out eventual NFL wr's.  I would say that affected them.  I didn't say it has decimated LSU or has significantly hurt them.

The discussion can be summed up with "location".  Put Fayetteville where El Dorado, Magnolia or Texarkana are and we could recruit on a higher level.   

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

redeye

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 12, 2015, 08:52:57 pm
Geez, didn't mean to shut down the posts by disproving the theory that A&M is really competing with LSU for highly ranked recruits, when they aren't.

Truth is, A&M and Missouri joining the SEC hasn't had a negative effect on us or anyone else in the SEC in recruiting Texas (as was projected when they joined) or anywhere else for that matter. In fact, Missouri's recruiting in Texas has signficantly diminished since they joined the SEC and A&M's recruiting philosophy has remained the same as before for the most part with the exception of more emphasis in Arizona.

I don't think you shut anything down.  I've just been busy and haven't had time to respond.  Besides, I think I agree with everything you've said, anyway, and haven't had much to add.

I also agree with Atlhogfan1 that location is the key.  We may all consider Fayetteville a nicer place to live, but unfortunately, it's distance is a hindrance when it comes to recruiting.  I'm sure many SEC players see little difference between Fayetteville and the State of Kansas.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: redeye on February 12, 2015, 10:54:18 pm
I don't think you shut anything down.  I've just been busy and haven't had time to respond.  Besides, I think I agree with everything you've said, anyway, and haven't had much to add.

I also agree with Atlhogfan1 that location is the key.  We may all consider Fayetteville a nicer place to live, but unfortunately, it's distance is a hindrance when it comes to recruiting.  I'm sure many SEC players see little difference between Fayetteville and the State of Kansas.

I didn't mean you Redeye. I was about half kidding anyway. As for location, or rather lack of information about the location, that might be true to some extent. Remember what Pittman said not long ago, something like "they come here to visit and they think that we are all riding horses and surprise, we have highways, cars, malls". I'm not sure that if the campus were located in southern Arkansas that it would make any difference though.

What will make a difference is winning. Win consistently and start putting more kids in the NFL in the process and you'll see the interest in coming to Arkansas rise among highly rated players across the country.

Of course most of the SEC schools have a tendency to recruit most of their classes from the region surrounding their schools, but teams like Missouri and us are going to have to recruit more heavily outside our states to remain competitive. S. Carolina could be included in the that group too, but only because they have Clemson to compete with for in-state recruits.

Look at the number of recruits signed by various schools out of the state of Georgia. While Georgia has obviously dominated in terms of sheer numbers, you have schools like S. Carolina recruiting more out of Georgia than they do out of their own state. And Auburn recruits about the same number out of Georgia that they do out of Alabama. I'd like to see us have more of a recruiting presence in that state and maybe we will will when win more.

I don't know what "loyalty chemical" that they are putting in the water down in Louisiana but it sure appears that most of the time, if LSU  offers a kid, they are staying home. That's not saying that other schools don't recruit and sign kids from Louisiana, it just seems that if LSU offers, the kids choose to stay home. It sure makes their jobs a lot easier, especially with so many talented athletes coming out of that state.
Go Hogs Go!

redeye

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 13, 2015, 05:32:20 am
I didn't mean you Redeye. I was about half kidding anyway. As for location, or rather lack of information about the location, that might be true to some extent. Remember what Pittman said not long ago, something like "they come here to visit and they think that we are all riding horses and surprise, we have highways, cars, malls". I'm not sure that if the campus were located in southern Arkansas that it would make any difference though.

What will make a difference is winning. Win consistently and start putting more kids in the NFL in the process and you'll see the interest in coming to Arkansas rise among highly rated players across the country.

Of course most of the SEC schools have a tendency to recruit most of their classes from the region surrounding their schools, but teams like Missouri and us are going to have to recruit more heavily outside our states to remain competitive. S. Carolina could be included in the that group too, but only because they have Clemson to compete with for in-state recruits.

Look at the number of recruits signed by various schools out of the state of Georgia. While Georgia has obviously dominated in terms of sheer numbers, you have schools like S. Carolina recruiting more out of Georgia than they do out of their own state. And Auburn recruits about the same number out of Georgia that they do out of Alabama. I'd like to see us have more of a recruiting presence in that state and maybe we will will when win more.

I don't know what "loyalty chemical" that they are putting in the water down in Louisiana but it sure appears that most of the time, if LSU  offers a kid, they are staying home. That's not saying that other schools don't recruit and sign kids from Louisiana, it just seems that if LSU offers, the kids choose to stay home. It sure makes their jobs a lot easier, especially with so many talented athletes coming out of that state.

While it's convenient to refer to players being from a certain state, I think the key is proximity. South Carolina and Auburn are a short drive for most Georgia players.  South Carolina also adds a lot of players from North Carolina and Columbia a much closer destination for Florida players then Fayetteville, AR.  I also want to see us recruit Georgia better, but I don't think we should expect to recruit Georgia as well as South Carolina or Auburn do.

LSU certainly does a good job of keeping the best players home, but it seems like they've been struggling more lately.  My intuition may be wrong, but I believe several SEC schools have had success pulling players away from LSU in Louisiana recently.  You mentioned A&M getting Speedy Noil, but Alabama's become a regular threat for top players in Louisiana (e.g. Daylon Charlot, Laurence Jones, Cam Robinson, Raheem Falkins, Tim Williams, Landon Collins and Denzel Devall all had LSU offers since 2012 and  2016 player Shyheim Carter is already committed to Alabama).  I think Ole Miss has had some success (Garrald McDowell) while MSU (Quadry Antoine) and Arkansas (Ramirez) have managed players, as well.  Orgeron may plug the holes, but I think LSU's been treading water the past few years.

GoHogs1091

Here is what I would like to see occur.

Coach Pittman-  Where ever in the nation there is highly ranked/highly regarded Offensive Linemen, and he also recruit other positions other than Offensive Linemen at the Junior Colleges in the State of Kansas.  Those Junior Colleges in Kansas are known for producing high quality Defensive Linemen, and high quality Wide Receivers.

Coach Segrest-  States of Alabama and Georgia for Defensive Linemen

Coach Hargreaves-  State of Florida for Linebackers, Secondary players, and Defensive Linemen

Coach Michael Smith-  North Louisiana and Central Louisiana for any positions on Offense or Defense.  If needed, also send him to Florida for any Wide Receivers that we are interested in in Florida.

Coach Lunney-  State of Arkansas for any positions on Offense and Defense.  Also, the Longview, TX and Tyler, TX areas (any positions on Offense and Defense).  If needed, send him also to Memphis, TN, and to Olive Branch, MS.

Coach Robb Smith-  States of Florida and Georgia (any positions on Defense)

New RB Coach-   DFW Metroplex for RBs, Houston, TX (city and surrounding area) for RBs, Tulsa, OK, and Lawton, OK.  Tulsa and Lawton doesn't have to be only for RBs.

Coach Enos-  State of Ohio (there are a lot of good players in the State of Ohio; look how well Kentucky does in Ohio).  Also have Coach Enos recruit in St. Louis, MO.  Additionally, where ever he needs to go for a QB.

Coach Jennings-  DFW Metroplex for Secondary players, and Houston, TX (city and surrounding area) for Secondary players.  If needed, also send him to Florida for any Secondary players that we may be interested in in Florida (him and Coach Hargreaves could "tag-team" on any Secondary players in Florida).

Coach Bielema-  Where ever he is needed to visit/close on a recruit.

scruf

Two pages in and still Music City Hog free. What happened?