Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What It's Like to Have Bobby Petrino Pull Your Offer 48 Hrs Before NSD

Started by Tomhog™, February 10, 2015, 12:08:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomhog™

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2358892-what-its-like-to-have-bobby-petrino-pull-your-offer-48-hours-before-signing-day?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Found this on the front page of the CNN website.  I hated the process to get where we are at, but in the long run believe it was the right thing to do. CFB respects his x's and o's, but despise his character.  Everytime he does something like this, it will be magnified.  He's not the only one, but is the one with a target on his back.

opineonswine

jackflash

This is one reason I would like to see a early signing period. This is just not a Petrino thing. Plus it would give a kid a chance to see who the schools have signed at his position. Then if he signs they can't pull it. The down side he couldn't change his commit.

31to6

Quote from: jackflash on February 10, 2015, 12:18:32 pm
This is one reason I would like to see a early signing period. This is just not a Petrino thing. Plus it would give a kid a chance to see who the schools have signed at his position. Then if he signs they can't pull it. The down side he couldn't change his commit.
Early enrollees can also sign the FAA to protect themselves. But that only helps players who have their academics in line to enroll mid-term.

Of course, that could provide a powerful incentive for players to graduate early, as the FAA locks the school (but not the player) into the scholarship for at least one year.

Perhaps they need to expand that mechanism?

mizzouman

As long as Louisville and teams that hire Petrino puts winning over character, then this will continue to happen.  This is why Jeff Long had to get rid of him.  In the long run, works out better for Arkansas.

Pork Twain

I love the end result in that we have CBB and the future looks bright and that every time CBP does something slimy, it does not look bad on us.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: mizzouman on February 10, 2015, 01:03:32 pm
As long as Louisville and teams that hire Petrino puts winning over character, then this will continue to happen.  This is why Jeff Long had to get rid of him.  In the long run, works out better for Arkansas.
Not sure anyone should be at all surprised at this. While we all know the practice is not unique, the way it was handled is vintage "slim ball" Bobby Petrino. Cheats in his personal life and so his underhanded methods merely carry over to his professional one as well. Gee...who could have guessed?

forrest city joe

Quote from: Tomhog™ on February 10, 2015, 12:08:59 pm
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2358892-what-its-like-to-have-bobby-petrino-pull-your-offer-48-hours-before-signing-day?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Found this on the front page of the CNN website.  I hated the process to get where we are at, but in the long run believe it was the right thing to do. CFB respects his x's and o's, but despise his character.  Everytime he does something like this, it will be magnified.  He's not the only one, but is the one with a target on his back.
Tom i love you man. you do a great job here on Hogville.but Bobby did not do anything Saban has not done. and did it again this year with the kid Bell. why the outrage at Bobby, and not the master of pulling offers at the klast moment Nick Saban? just asking.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 10, 2015, 01:54:32 pm
Not sure anyone should be at all surprised at this. While we all know the practice is not unique, the way it was handled is vintage "slim ball" Bobby Petrino. Cheats in his personal life and so his underhanded methods merely carry over to his professional one as well. Gee...who could have guessed?
If Bobby Petrino is a slime ball. so is Nick Saban.

opineonswine

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 10, 2015, 02:07:25 pm

The practice of pulling scholarships at the last minute is slimey...in my opinion....regardless of who does it.

But to compare the character of Nick Saban to Bobby Petrino is crazy and laughable.  Saban can't hold a candle to the slimery of Petrino.  To say differently merely ignores the facts.  There is little debate about Petrino's lack of professionalism or character.

Hoggish1

20gauge

Its not unusual for offers to be pulled, its also not uncommon for a kid to decommit. How many kids have we seen flip at the signing table. Recruiting is a dirty game that recruits and coaches alike play.
Most of the time when an offer is pulled its pulled well in advance. Petrino had other needs namely at cornerback with guy sleaving for the NFL. Its still crappy to pull the offer that late in the game. Especially when the kid had been commited for a while and they new thye would need this offer well in advance of signing day.

texas tush hog

Quote from: IAMHogholio on February 10, 2015, 01:42:20 pm
Darius Philon anybody?

So Nicky is almost as big a slimeball as Petrino. Butch Jones and Urban Meyer not much better, among others. Glad we got Bielema.

COCHISE

Agreed. No doubt that BP's character is less than admirable but to single him out for this is just an attempt to pile on as he is an easy target. There are plenty of coaches that do this every year.

The Boar War

Quote from: opineonswine on February 10, 2015, 02:21:27 pm
But to compare the character of Nick Saban to Bobby Petrino is crazy and laughable.  Saban can't hold a candle to the slimery of Petrino.  To say differently merely ignores the facts.  There is little debate about Petrino's lack of professionalism or character.

I would agree that he's not as slimy as Petrino but he gets no gold stars for his character.  Everything that Saban does terribly (lying about leaving Miami, having a hatchet man in the office) Petrino seems to take to another level (leaving Atlanta before the season was over, hiring his girlfriend).  Both are narcissistic sociopaths and general dirtbags in life.

But both are great football coaches.  If Petrino was a little more charming and picked his timing a little better he would be seen in a much better light.  Still a horrible person but we'd probably hear his name as little as we've heard Sabans for basically doing the same thing.

forrest city joe

The practice of pulling scholarships at the last minute is slimey...in my opinion....regardless of who does it.

Saban is just as bad as Bobby. you can't have it both ways.other than Bobby cheating on his wife(whichj is none of my business) what's the difference?Saban may be worst than Bobby if you ask me.

aloha_kid

http://247sports.com/Player/Matt-Colburn-57581

Better off at Wake Forest anyhow.  Gets a great education and stays close to home.  UL or WF ... WF everytime.

zane

And this is why these HS kids should take ALL of their visits and keep their recruitment somewhat open.

Regardless of how upset it makes the home team fans
RIP LSUfan

Vantage 8 dude

Well I really haven't heard that many on here argue that he isn't. So what's the problem?

hoglady

On this issue - I don't recall Petrino doing this before (he may have) - but I don't think this is a normal occurrence for him.
Saban does this every single year - and many years does it to multiple players. Didn't Saban do it Philon on signing day, shortly before his signing ceremony at his school? Hardly a peep from the national media about it.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Pork Twain

I do not think anyone is saying Nick is not slime.  Just that Bobby is.  Those two do not need to be linked together in any way for either to be true.  If I say the ocean is blue, it does not mean I think the sky is orange.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

opineonswine

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 10, 2015, 06:44:54 pm
I do not think anyone is saying Nick is not slime.  Just that Bobby is.  Those two do not need to be linked together in any way for either to be true.  If I say the ocean is blue, it does not mean I think the sky is orange.

Thank you.  gaaaaw

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Tomhog™ on February 10, 2015, 12:08:59 pm

I'm going to be the players advocate here. If a staff recruits a kid and says that they want him and the kid solely commits to them (no other visits after the commit) then there should be a contract signed at that moment that commits the school to that player, and vice versa. If that means instituting an early signing period, then fine. And don't limit it to September or October prior to the normal February signing period. If a staff offers a kid in the 8th grade, you better be prepared to live with it if the kid and his family agree and sign off.

I don't care who does it or who wants to bait and switch a recruit and employ a grayhirt offer later. I don't care if it is Petrino, Saban, Miles, Gus, Bielema...no matter who, they need to be compelled to cash the checks that they write with their mouths when luring recruits and if they aren't willing to stand by their word, then stop making promises that they may intend to alter later on.

JMO
Go Hogs Go!

Styflin

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 10, 2015, 03:44:08 pm
Saban is just as bad as Bobby. you can't have it both ways.other than Bobby cheating on his wife(whichj is none of my business) what's the difference?Saban may be worst than Bobby if you ask me.

Why would you bring up Nick when the topic was about Bobby and his shady antics? To be fair, Saban offered Philon and Bell a gray shirt. Bobby didn't offer that kid anything

COCHISE

Quote from: Styflin on February 10, 2015, 11:43:07 pm
Why would you bring up Nick when the topic was about Bobby and his shady antics? To be fair, Saban offered Philon and Bell a gray shirt. Bobby didn't offer that kid anything
Actually the article says he was offered a gray shirt.

forrest city joe

Quote from: COCHISE on February 11, 2015, 12:05:10 am
Actually the article says he was offered a gray shirt.
Why let facts get in the way of the Bobby hate. and the Saban free ride?it's fine with some here if king Saban does it. but let's trash Bobby if he does it.

usf15cc

I think it's crap that any coach does it i guess that's why i judge nick Satan so harshly.
If those kids are committed to you and the school and there's no law involvement or grades issues You as a coach should honor your word. Not toss them at the side right before signing day. I wish the kid best of luck at his second choice of a school.

Pork Twain

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 11, 2015, 01:51:55 am
Why let facts get in the way of the Bobby hate. and the Saban free ride?it's fine with some here if king Saban does it. but let's trash Bobby if he does it.
Who is saying that?  Good lord FCJoke

Tomhog™

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 10, 2015, 02:05:04 pm
Tom i love you man. you do a great job here on Hogville.but Bobby did not do anything Saban has not done. and did it again this year with the kid Bell. why the outrage at Bobby, and not the master of pulling offers at the klast moment Nick Saban? just asking.

Joe, did you miss the "he's not the only one" comment I made? CBP is just the coach that is picked on for the practice.  And that is (one reason) why I'm glad he isn't our coach any longer.

Tomhog™

Look, if the article was about Saban, I would have linked it here just like I did with Bobby.  But, I'm not a journalist.  I didn't choose who to pick on.  The practice is despicable, I don't care who the coach is.  Saban is not on any pedestal in my mind.

yraciv

FYI this young man still hasn't signed. Wake is listed as his favorite on 247, but he visited them over a week ago and hasn't committed.

hawg IQ

Quote from: Tomhog™ on February 11, 2015, 07:36:17 am
Look, if the article was about Saban, I would have linked it here just like I did with Bobby.  But, I'm not a journalist.  I didn't choose who to pick on.  The practice is despicable, I don't care who the coach is.  Saban is not on any pedestal in my mind.
Gray shirting should be illegal .  Early signing would be good, but should be limited and with some restrictions.
   BP gets more of spot light for obvious reasons, but still a good coach . I do think Saban is worse of the two. If the kid isn't signed anywhere, don't we have a scholarship open, he's a 4 star right?
go hogs go !

LJHOG

What's it like??
Hard to say.  Did the kid know they were looking at someone else they rated higher and there was chance it could happen??
If not, Bobby is a big ole meanie-head.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Tomhog™ on February 11, 2015, 07:36:17 am
Look, if the article was about Saban, I would have linked it here just like I did with Bobby.  But, I'm not a journalist.  I didn't choose who to pick on.  The practice is despicable, I don't care who the coach is.  Saban is not on any he's not on any in my mind.
+1000. i got you Tom. and i agree with you on Saban.he is not on any pedestal with me either. never has been.

forrest city joe

Quote from: hawg IQ on February 11, 2015, 08:25:16 am
Gray shirting should be illegal .  Early signing would be good, but should be limited and with some restrictions.
   BP gets more of spot light for obvious reasons, but still a good coach . I do think Saban is worse of the two. If the kid isn't signed anywhere, don't we have a scholarship open, he's a 4 star right?
+1000. Saban is the very worst. yet the media let's him get away with it.

DOGALUM

I get it....that kids get their hearts broken over this kind of thing....but I just can't get as outraged as some of you.   This is in no way a Petrino defense post.  The guy is a liar and I've always been on record here saying I'm very glad we fired him.  I'm not defending Saban either....or anyone else who has pulled an offer last minute.  But I've got to look at the flip side as well.  How many times have recruits committed to a school, only to go back on their word?  How many times have we seen an announcement where a recruit picks up one hat....acts like he's going to put it on....then tosses it aside and puts on another?  We have seen those kinds of things countless times.  Now...I don't claim to have any statistics that will break down just how many of those recruits had given their word to one coach...only to break it and play for another.  But common sense tells us that it has happened plenty. 

At the end of the day.....the smart thing to do for both sides is to have a backup plan.  But let's not act shocked and outraged that Saban, Petrino, or anyone else would do this.  If CBB had a commitment from a 3 star RB....then at the last minute got in a numbers crunch because a 5 star RB and a 5 Star WR told him they wanted to come.....I'm not sure I would be outraged if he pulled the offer.   

Just another way of looking at it.......
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Chief Mac

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 10, 2015, 02:05:04 pm

because Nick Saban didn't burn our house down.  Petrino deservedly has earned every bit of venom and ridicule. 
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

jkstock04

One thing everyone convienently ignores is that this is a two way street. Coaches and recruits both are looking out for #1 (themselves) which in my opinion they should be.

To me this is no different than a player not keeping his word, which happens all the time. But for whatever reason that doesn't get blown up in the press whenever that happens. Recruiting is a cut throat business looks to me like, such is the way of life that I know it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

k.c.hawg

Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

COCHISE

I personally don't have a problem with coaches asking a player to grey shirt because players do basically the same thing to coaches. Just look at the signing day flips in which a kid has given his "commitment" to a coach and program only to renig at the last second, leaving the coaches scrambling for a replacement which they may or may not find. I'd be fine with doing away with red shirting just as soon as they have an early signing period, forcing the recruits and schools to honor their commitments to one another. Until that happens, coaches and recruits will continue to screw each other over.

opineonswine

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 11, 2015, 01:21:27 pm
because Nick Saban didn't burn our house down.  Petrino deservedly has earned every bit of venom and ridicule.

Ain't it the truth...how any self respecting Arkansas fan can defend that low life is beyond me.  Thank you sir...may I have another one sir!!

hawg IQ

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 11, 2015, 01:21:27 pm
Petrino is not as classy in his personal/public life . Yet a fine coach.

Same issue a lot of folks look down on the man, I don't.  I might, if I knew everything. I will say this, I have never believed that those face injuries came from an accident on a Harley?
I've said before we don't know the whole story and J Long has to share some responsibility on it also. But he's gone and we have another good coach and its time to let the "sleeping dog lie".

go hogs go !

choppedporkextrasauce

Razorbax

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on February 11, 2015, 08:22:27 pm
Not the same. Nick directed the kid here otherwise he would have grayshirted.

No he didn't. He tried to grayshirt him on LOI day and the Philon was devastated.

Styflin

My bad Joe. I read another article that did not mention the grayshirt opportunity. I also read another article that said this kid was not the only one that got his offered pulled this class by BP. Try not to be naive though, the facts show what kind of person Bobby is.

tbhogfan

This situation has begun to happen way too often and needs to be curbed.  As far as I am concerned, it also needs to be curbed from athlete's end as well.

I would like to see a date established (a reasonable amount of time before NSD) after which commitments MUST be honored by both parties. 
Go Hogs!

PorkSoda

I'd venture to say that the only real difference is that Saban's people and fan base will lie to protect him. 

There was a law suit a while back that I read, where if saban wanted a kid from alabama, the teachers would change their grades to make sure they were eligible.  of course nothing came of it, being that it was in an alabama court. 

To act like saban is a beacon on recruiting integrity is the silliest thing I ever heard. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: tbhogfan on February 12, 2015, 01:37:31 pm
This situation has begun to happen way too often and needs to be curbed.  As far as I am concerned, it also needs to be curbed from athlete's end as well.

I would like to see a date established (a reasonable amount of time before NSD) after which commitments MUST be honored by both parties. 
then change the signing day.  that is the day the commitment must be honored.  you guys make me friggen laugh. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Wild Bill Hog

Hasn't Les Miles done this same thing in the past?  Seems like he did it to a LA kid for one.