Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Athletics Facilities Race

Started by jbcarol, June 14, 2012, 12:01:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Matt Zenitz‏Verified account @mzenitz
14h14 hours ago

Alabama received an anonymous $1 million donation today in support of future athletic facility enhancements. Second seven-figure donation in the last month
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Nick Saban singles out Vanderbilt in comment on SEC stadium atmospheres

Quote"I haven't been anywhere, well maybe Vanderbilt, and that's no disrespect to Vanderbilt," Saban said on Thursday. "Most of the time we have more fans than they have, and that's a testament to our fans in that area."

Ouch!

While that has to hurt the pride of Commodores fans, Saban does have a point. During the matchup between the two teams earlier this season, there was a lot more crimson in the stands than black and gold.

jbcarol

AL.com Birmingham‏ @ALcomBirmingham
21h21 hours ago

Don't prop up Legion Field; Birmingham needs a new stadium https://trib.al/rWqJJ5U

QuoteThe agenda for today's Birmingham City Council meeting includes "a Resolution supporting $30 million for the 5-year (2018-2023) capital budget for Legion Field."

The resolution was submitted and recommended by City Councilman William Parker. Last month, Parker described his idea "to provide the necessary tools to make sure Legion Field is viable for the next 10 to 20 years."

Wait. What? Viable? For the next decade or two? Legion Field at 90 years old is barely serviceable now. It's a money pit, an albatross around the neck of UAB football and the special events held there from the Magic City Classic to the Birmingham Bowl.

If the goal is to revitalize the community around Legion Field and prepare it for life after the stadium shuts down, that's admirable. But it sounds as if Parker wants to put more lipstick on the dying stadium and keep it as this city's primary football facility into the foreseeable future.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

New AD Allen Greene: Auburn will dig 'a little bit deeper' into football-only facility 'pretty soon'

Quote"Coach Malzahn already hit me up for a standalone football facility, so I think that's going to be on the docket," new Auburn athletics director Allen Greene said, half-jokingly, during his introductory press conference on Friday.

It's no secret that Malzahn would like a football-only facility on Auburn's campus, and when asked about it last month -- shortly after his new seven-year, $49 million contract was agreed to in principle -- Malzahn said "you're always look to improve, and we'll see where that goes."

"We'll sit down and we'll talk about it -- everything as far as football is concerned and all that, in due time," Malzahn said Friday. "We'll talk about that. That was a joke we brought up as we were getting to know each other and all that."

Auburn's football operations -- including coaches' and staff offices, training room, weight room, practice facility and practice locker room -- are currently housed in the Auburn athletics complex, which opened in 1989 and is nearly 30 years old.

Last year, then-athletics director Jay Jacobs said building a standalone football facility or upgrading the current athletics complex was not a top priority for the athletic department. Auburn's Board of Trustees was provided a document in May 2015 with a preliminary budget of $30 million in 2018 for a football-specific facility, and at the time Jacobs said his hope was to have a plan for either a new facility or renovations to the current one within five years.

Auburn is currently constructing a $28 million gameday support facility at Jordan-Hare Stadium that includes a recruiting area, renovated home locker room, club seating and new press box in the southwest corner of the stadium.

Auburn president Steven Leath said he has already shared the school's capital projects plans with Greene.

"Some of the bigger long-term projects, like whether we need a standalone football facility, he needs a chance to study all that," Leath said.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell

State investigation finds two Tennessee athletic staff members accepted impermissible gifts from vendors

QuoteOne Tennessee athletic department staff member is being disciplined and another has received counsel on school policy after an investigation by the Tennessee comptroller found that they had violated program rules related to accepting outside gifts.

State of Tennessee Comptroller Justin Wilson released on Wednesday the results of his investigation into "possible discrepancies" that were made known to his office by the university's audit and compliance department.

Wilson found that two members of the athletic department's staff– the director of sports surface management and another unspecified employee — accepted impermissible gifts from vendors at various points in both 2014 and 2016. Blake Toppmeyer of Knox News reports that Darren Seybold is the director of sports surface management at the school.

"Investigators determined the director of sports surface management violated university policy when he accepted at least two paid trips and related entertainment from a department vendor which had previously been awarded an equipment lease worth $763,898," Wilson's statement of findings reads. "In 2016, the director traveled to Illinois for two days of golf, and he also participated in a golf scramble in Georgia. The vendor provided lodging, air fare (when applicable), green fees, and other privileges. This violated UT's policy prohibiting university employees from accepting entertainment or other gifts exceeding $75 in value."

Seybold further violated Tennessee policy in April of 2016 when he failed to record two days of leave on his university time records when he took a trip to The Masters golf tournament. A vendor paid for the director's event pass, although he was paid back.

The 2014 incident involved both employees and another trip to The Masters, again a violation of the school's policy that prohibits the acceptance of gifts or entertainment exceeding $75 in value.

The pair "attended one day of the Masters Golf Tournament as guests of a potential vendor that was actively marketing its product to the university." Toppmeyer reports Tennessee ultimately did not purchase from the vendor.

According to both reports, Seybold "told investigators that he felt he was representing the University of Tennessee while he participated in these trips and that he used the opportunities to speak with manufacturing representatives about the use of field maintenance equipment. Furthermore, he told investigators that he was unaware of the university policy that prohibited his acceptance of gifts."

Wilson warned the university of the consequences of these violations and encouraged the school to focus on more training.

jbcarol

LSU Softball
‏ @LSUsoftball
21h21 hours ago

LSU announces Softball Performance Center, largest in SEC softball #GeauxTigers

📄: http://lsul.su/2BK1hC4

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on February 02, 2018, 06:01:56 am
LSU Softball
‏ @LSUsoftball
21h21 hours ago

LSU announces Softball Performance Center, largest in SEC softball #GeauxTigers

📄: http://lsul.su/2BK1hC4

With their budget problems from the state they are converting the Library I guess.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

jbcarol

Sadness in Starkville

QuoteMississippi State Bulldogs baseball team will finally make its debut in its home stadium on Wednesday, but there may be a big problem.

Cowbells may not be allowed inside.

Newly renovated Duly Noble Field at Polk-DeMent Stadium in Starkville — nicknamed the New Dude — will open for baseball on Tuesday after a multi-year renovation project. But a couple of tweets from the Bulldogs baseball account on Monday indicate that a staple of Mississippi State sporting events may not get to celebrate the fun.

At noon, this tweet came through:

MSU Baseball

‏Verified account @HailStateBB

cowbells will not be permitted inside the #NewDude

jbcarol

Michael Carvell
‏ @Michael_Carvell

LOOK: Missouri begins south end zone demolition at Memorial Stadium

QuoteAfter the south end zone scoreboard was removed on Monday, complete demolition of the current south end zone started on Tuesday.

The project, which will cost $98 million, will provide state-of-the-art training facilities for Missouri, while also adding premium seating opportunities and game-day enhancements for fans. It was approved by the university's board of curators in August.

The project is not expected to be completed until August 2019.

jbcarol

AL.com sports
‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

"Yesterday afternoon's Birmingham City Council vote to help fund a new downtown stadium and upgrade Legacy Arena did a lot of things for Alabama's largest city.

Most importantly, it sent a message to itself. This town is starting to have a little faith." https://trib.al/ufVjSKO

Bowl game site with SEC affiliation

jbcarol

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway
‏ @gatorhoops

Gators AD Scott Stricklin: New football facility will not have 'gold-plated toilets and water falls'

QuoteJust to be clear, Florida Gators Athletics Director Scott Stricklin says his program's new stand-alone football facility is going to be nice, but not over-the-top ostentatious.

"You don't want to be frivolous," Stricklin said on our Open Mike radio show the other day when talking about UF's $130 million in upcoming projects that include $65 million for a new football facility, $50 million for a new baseball stadium and $11 million in improvements to the softball stadium. "We're not going to have gold-plated toilets in any of these facilities. We're not going to have waterfalls in the locker rooms. ... You want to make sure you're spending in a really smart way.

"One of the great benefits of being at a place like Florida is, you can do really nice, first-class facilities but you don't have to be gimmicky about it in order to get attention," Stricklin added. "The University of Florida brand is really strong, and young people are going to want to come visit our campus, and fans are going to want to come and support them. At some places — and I'm not talking about anybody in particular —

luke hawg

Does anyone get less return on investment than Arkansas?

luke hawg

April 14, 2018, 10:58:45 pm #1719 Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 11:09:26 pm by luke hawg
It hurts to ask this question but I can't think of a program that pays more for consistent mediocrity.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: luke hawg on April 14, 2018, 10:54:05 pm
how can you tell?  Our stadium is still unfinished, our football complex is only in it's 3rd year, our basketball facility in it's second year (and they have been improving noticeably fundamentally imo), and the track and baseball complexes just got done. I'd argue that since we decided to be LAST at building everything we havent had much of a chance to see any returns yet.

Also, WRONG FORUM.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: luke hawg on April 14, 2018, 10:58:45 pm
It hurts to ask this question but I can't think of a program that pays more for consistent mediocrity.

Kentucky, SC, Mizzou just to name some in the SEC. In each P5 conference there are a few.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

nwahogfan1

Probable not? 

I live in Las Cruces, NM now and they pay their mens FB and BB head coach about $300k  a year which is near the very bottom and both teams went to the post season.  I know they could not compete in the SEC but they are getting their money's worth.

bennyl08

Almost every single other program. The vast majority of programs don't even create a profit.

Looking at the 15-16 year numbers, we are getting a bigger return on investment than Bama with our program earning 1.18 for every 1.00 spent while Bama only returns just under 1.13 . I'd wager we probably have a better return on investment than most any other SEC team out there as well, much less the rest of the country.

Aggies that year are the only ones I see getting a bigger roi.  Maybe somebody at the bottom of the list.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

luke hawg

I was talking about a return in the form of elite prospects

jgphillips3

Quote from: luke hawg on April 15, 2018, 07:39:23 pm

Petrino was a winner, but an ass.

Bielema was a loser, but personable.

Morris seems to both a winner and likeable.  Let's give him 2-4 years and return to this conversation then.  It doesn't happen overnight.

bennyl08

Quote from: luke hawg on April 15, 2018, 07:39:23 pm

Well, we had the 22nd best roster in the country based on 247 rankings last season. If recruiting rankings don't float your boat, we rank 15 in the country in draft picks since 2010 (Not trying to cherry pick dates there, that was just the first link I could find, I was hoping to just find past 5 years). . Factor in that most every single power 5 school has been participating in this same arms race and we've gotten better returns than most anybody else.

I mean, Oregon State has facilities on par with Bama and they jump for joy if they so much as break into the top 50. Heck, there are even some non-power 5 schools with amenities that can compete with everyone else as well.

No matter how you slice it, the poor little ole Arkansas argument just doesn't fly.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

jkstock04

Highly doubtful. I haven't been to every away SEC venue but I've been to a few. LSU and Ole Miss' stadiums no where near as nice as ours. Not sure about their practice facilities and how they compare to ours but I wouldn't be surprised if ours were better as well. South Carolina and for sure Auburns stadiums are better than ours.

Regardless of that...you think about when this really got started with the "answer the call" campaign. Completely my opinion, but with Petrino I felt like we were getting a nice return on the investment...but ever since then it's been absolute garbage, and prices for sure haven't gone down.

I would be curious to see how much Vanderbilt and Kentucky (where we are nationally perceived now) have spent on the facilities arms race the past 10 years in comparison to Arkansas. My guess is no where close to as much. I also would be interested to know if any other school has spent or is spending the same amount or more than with comparable results the past few years.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 15, 2018, 08:17:47 pm

Morris seems to both a winner and likeable.  Let's give him 2-4 years and return to this conversation then.  It doesn't happen overnight.
No need to worry about Chad getting to overstay his welcome. Why, one might ask ? Because there is a multi-billionaire alumni to the south and west of Fayetteville who's grandson is going to play football at the UA for the next 5 years. Let me say that if "Put it in the left lane and hammer down" doesn't get it done during the tenure of one J.S. Jones, Papaw Jones will jump on that smokin' hot lear jet with the huge blue star on it and personally take care of matters. There is a clock and it's now ticking. Jerrah can be patient, but once he makes up his mind someone is gonzo, he's a goner. Need proof, just ask Dez Bryant.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Hou-Hog

How are you measuring your question? In ROI, the answer is that we are doing exceptional well.  If you are trying to say we are not winning enough fine.  Vandy, Ole Miss, non-P5 would be worse

1highhog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 16, 2018, 12:55:53 am
No need to worry about Chad getting to overstay his welcome. Why, one might ask ? Because there is a multi-billionaire alumni to the south and west of Fayetteville who's grandson is going to play football at the UA for the next 5 years. Let me say that if "Put it in the left lane and hammer down" doesn't get it done during the tenure of one J.S. Jones, Papaw Jones will jump on that smokin' hot lear jet with the huge blue star on it and personally take care of matters. There is a clock and it's now ticking. Jerrah can be patient, but once he makes up his mind someone is gonzo, he's a goner. Need proof, just ask Dez Bryant.

Uhh, and how long has he went with his current experiment of a head coach?

hogfan58

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 16, 2018, 12:06:38 am
Highly doubtful. I haven't been to every away SEC venue but I've been to a few. LSU and Ole Miss' stadiums no where near as nice as ours. Not sure about their practice facilities and how they compare to ours but I wouldn't be surprised if ours were better as well. South Carolina and for sure Auburns stadiums are better than ours.

When was  the last time you were at South Carolina? When I was there it looked like a dump in the middle of a field far away from their campus. No way does it look better than RRS.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

jkstock04

Quote from: hogfan58 on April 16, 2018, 06:09:12 am
When was  the last time you were at South Carolina? When I was there it looked like a dump in the middle of a field far away from their campus. No way does it look better than RRS.
Last season actually...glorious, signature Bret Bielema uncommon era beat down in 100 degree heat. Being far away from campus like you say is for sure a negative...but I felt the design of the actual stadium was a little better than ours.

Of course, across the nation or conference there are many that would rank LSU in the top 3. I consider that place a large version of war memorial. Parts of it on the inside looked like it was about to crumble down in a catastrophe at any moment and you needed binoculars to view the "jumbo" screen. All in eye of the beholder I guess.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

nwahogfan1

April 16, 2018, 07:40:46 am #1733 Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:53:21 am by nwahogfan1
I have to think that with the $160 million stadium upgrade our facilities must be as good as most or at least good enough that a recruit does not say no because of what they see.  Maybe not as big but as nice. 

Now we must win games.

Inhogswetrust

Too many fans concentrate on the stadium, it's size and such. What players and recruits want to see as top notch are what they will use. Is the overall facilities that matter not just the stadium. That will give recruits the idea that the program is committed to them, the teams and the fans.

Michael D Huff AIA

Any golfers in the group?  How many times have you heard someone say about that new driver, "You know, you can't buy a game."

You can't buy wins, either. 

The spending of money for facilities just keeps us in the conversation for players that we hope to win with.  Never mind who the coach is or what sort of offense or defense we run.  Facilities are the bricks and mortar version of a marketing staff for the (insert your sport here) program.  They answer the question, "Is this school committed to (insert your sport here)."  There is a price to be paid just to do what everyone else is doing to beat out the ones that aren't.  It's just the cost of doing business. 

This subject is very closely related to the uniform debate that appears on this board so often.  "Do we need 14 versions of our uniform" is somewhat related to "Do we need loge boxes and club seats in the north end zone".  If the players see we are keeping up with the times and they think what we have is 'cool' then we have a better chance to get the players we need.  I can see the difficulty in wrapping our collective heads around the idea that the stadium isn't 100% for the fans.  We want something for the time and treasure that we devote to the program. 

Cotton

Is anyone more negative than Hogville posters?
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: 1highhog on April 16, 2018, 05:39:34 am
Uhh, and how long has he went with his current experiment of a head coach?
short of a Super Bowl win, this is Ginger's last season as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys...by the way your analogy is flawed, the Dallas Cowboys make Jerrah Jones boatloads of money per year, as far as his alma mater, the money only flows one way, out of Jerry's pocket to the Razorback Foundation...see the difference ?

RME

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 16, 2018, 12:55:53 am

How's that?

hogfan58

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 16, 2018, 07:03:49 am
Last season actually...glorious, signature Bret Bielema uncommon era beat down in 100 degree heat. Being far away from campus like you say is for sure a negative...but I felt the design of the actual stadium was a little better than ours.

Of course, across the nation or conference there are many that would rank LSU in the top 3. I consider that place a large version of war memorial. Parts of it on the inside looked like it was about to crumble down in a catastrophe at any moment and you needed binoculars to view the "jumbo" screen. All in eye of the beholder I guess.

I agree about LSU, it's a larger older version of WMS that is about to crumble at any second.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

Anybody

The word is that Jerry wanted to keep Dez, but Stephen talked him into ridding the team of that cancerous primadonna.

The coaches got real tired of his antics on the sidelines, etc.

GO COWBOYS !

GO HOGS !!!

Pork Twain

April 17, 2018, 12:56:27 am #1741 Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 01:32:18 am by Pork Twain
Some people just need a good ole cry to feel better.  At least before you do it publicly, look at the list of most and least profitable universities.

It would save everyone time and make you fell better.  As of 2015/16 we were #14 in all of college sports without a dominant team in any sport.  Now if you mean a dominant team by return on investment, those two things do not correlate.  Return on investment implies $$$, you cannot simply build great structures in college sports and correlate that to wins.

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/six-sec-schools-ranked-top-10-nationally-total-revenue

•Texas A&M (No. 1/$194,388,450)
•Alabama (No. 4/$164,009,745)
•LSU (No. 7/$141,651,460)
•Florida (No. 8/$141,441,109)
•Tennessee (No. 9/$140,448,955)
•Auburn (No. 10/$140,070,593)
•Kentucky (No. 13/$132,180,246)
•Arkansas (No. 14/$124,981,042)
•Georgia (No. 15/$123,841,268)
•South Carolina (No. 17/$122,331,092)
•Mississippi (No. 24/$110,524,705)
•Missouri (No. 30/$97,275,839)
•Mississippi State (No. 34/$94,903,405)
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Iwastherein1969

hawganatic

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 15, 2018, 07:36:07 pm
Almost every single other program. The vast majority of programs don't even create a profit.

Looking at the 15-16 year numbers, we are getting a bigger return on investment than Bama with our program earning 1.18 for every 1.00 spent while Bama only returns just under 1.13 . I'd wager we probably have a better return on investment than most any other SEC team out there as well, much less the rest of the country.

Aggies that year are the only ones I see getting a bigger roi.  Maybe somebody at the bottom of the list.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Good luck with this.  I doubt the OP understands what ROI really means...

HeathWimp

Morris seems to both a winner and likeable.  Let’s give him 2-4 years and return to this conversation then.  It doesn’t happen overnight.

We just need to give the man some time!
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

RME

Quote from: HeathWimp on April 17, 2018, 09:47:29 am
We just need to give the man some time!

The guy hasn't coached a game. You're right, we do need to give him time.

Also, your signature line is interesting. You note that Morris will be 17-21 after year 3 and that reads as though everything is doom and gloom.

38 games in 3 years is an average of 12.67 games per year, meaning we'd make postseason 2 years, or a deeper run 1 year.

So, hypothetically:
2018: 0-12
2019: 8-5
2020: 9-4

If we're trending up in 2019 by winning 8 (more than our historical average) and finish 2020 at 9-4, I think the fanbase will be pretty excited about what might be next. No?

Anyway. Thought that was an interesting sig line.

Pig in the Pokey

RME- first time I can remember where I would have +1'd you.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Sho Nuff

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 15, 2018, 10:10:18 am
Probable not? 

I live in Las Cruces, NM now and they pay their mens FB and BB head coach about $300k  a year which is near the very bottom and both teams went to the post season.  I know they could not compete in the SEC but they are getting their money's worth.
Sorry that you have to live in Las Cruces ;)  Seriously though, La Posta in Mesilla is one of the best restaurants I've been to.  I lived in ABQ for 14 years, Sadie's is the best there.

Al Boarland

April 17, 2018, 10:47:41 am #1749 Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 12:04:38 pm by Al Boarland

Your descriptions are in hindsight. You'll find negative descriptions of CCM if he doesn't work out.

How many double digit win seasons have we had since joining the SEC? 3? All while Ole Miss and MS St were practically given wins. That's not the case any more. CBB and CCM have/had it a lot harder than CHN and CBP ever dreamed of.