Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Larry Johnson's advice is even more prescient.

Started by rtr, March 10, 2018, 08:05:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rtr

We need to get some men on the frontcourt. Gafford can't do everything, he needs help from a strong forward.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

rtr

We also need more quickness and speed in the backcourt.

TNhawgfan

So your saying we need more 4 and 5 star guys and fewer tweeners and transfers...good thing that's easy to do
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

rtr

Quote from: TNhawgfan on March 10, 2018, 08:26:56 pm
So your saying we need more 4 and 5 star guys and fewer tweeners and transfers...good thing that's easy to do
We need a couple of 6'8" to 6'10" with some meat on their bones.  We also miss a lot of steals because we are not quick to the ball.

Danny J

Quote from: rtr on March 10, 2018, 08:32:54 pm
We need a couple of 6'8" to 6'10" with some meat on their bones.  We also miss a lot of steals because we are not quick to the ball.
That's true but most teams these days have multiple good ball handlers not like in thr late 80's and early 90's

ThisTeetsTaken

We need guys like Hall and Osebiukin (sp?) to put on 20 lbs of muscle.  But I'm not sure Mike will ever have physical guys on the post.  Don't know if he just doesn't recruit them or doesn't fit his "style".  Thompson should have been a bruiser his whole career here but wasn't for some reason.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

daprospecta

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on March 10, 2018, 08:42:45 pm
We need guys like Hall and Osebiukin (sp?) to put on 20 lbs of muscle.  But I'm not sure Mike will ever have physical guys on the post.  Don't know if he just doesn't recruit them or doesn't fit his "style".  Thompson should have been a bruiser his whole career here but wasn't for some reason.
If TT would have kept his body from last year, he would have had an amazing season IMO.

rtr

Quote from: Danny J on March 10, 2018, 08:37:46 pm
That's true but most teams these days have multiple good ball handlers not like in thr late 80's and early 90's
We are missing steals when the ball is mishandled because we are not quick to the ball.  It is after the ball is mishandled.

RoyHobbs92

We have three good but undersized guards. They are talented guys but to play Anderson's defense we need more skilled players that look like gabe and hall as teets said.

TM Hog

We need a good ole Roosevelt Wallace type player.

rtr

Quote from: TM Hog on March 10, 2018, 09:41:10 pm
Yes, and Butch Morris too.  Even Darrell Hawkins could help a lot.

golfinpig

It does seem like everyone else in the league has 2 or 3 guys 6'9" or taller that look like full grown men. The exception being Auburn and that's only because of suspensions and injuries.

rtr

Quote from: golfinpig on March 10, 2018, 09:58:28 pm
It does seem like everyone else in the league has 2 or 3 guys 6'9" or taller that look like full grown men. The exception being Auburn and that's only because of suspensions and injuries.
We need some length and a bit more speed and quickness from our backcourt.

labb

I watched Virginia play tonight..They play very fast and physical...We got a ways to go to get to that level.

hawkhawg

Quote from: TM Hog on March 10, 2018, 09:41:10 pm

Wasn't Roosevelt Wallace on the team that Larry Johnson said needed some men? 

Hog_Fink

Quote from: labb on March 10, 2018, 10:07:50 pm
I watched Virginia play tonight..They play very fast and physical...We got a ways to go to get to that level.

west Virginia?
Virginia plays very methodical

yraciv

When will people stop bringing up this ancient saying? Larry Johnson said that in a different era of basketball when you were able to mug someone and not have a foul called.

And I don't know what qualifies as a man is it tall & strong? I'm pretty sure Trey Thompson is bigger than any contributor on Virginia and Villanova who are at the top of the standings.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: yraciv on March 10, 2018, 11:02:17 pm
When will people stop bringing up this ancient saying? Larry Johnson said that in a different era of basketball when you were able to mug someone and not have a foul called.

And I don't know what qualifies as a man is it tall & strong? I'm pretty sure Trey Thompson is bigger than any contributor on Virginia and Villanova who are at the top of the standings.

Lol Jump Ball should just be renamed "Stuck in the 90's"

bvillepig

Lol  Arkansas had plenty of men on that team.  There just weren't many Larry Johnson's running around.

The Hogfather

Quote from: rtr on March 10, 2018, 08:05:32 pm
We need to get some men on the frontcourt. Gafford can't do everything, he needs help from a strong forward.

So effing tired of hearing this idiotic phrase.

razorback1829

Hog are ya

March 11, 2018, 04:32:34 am #21 Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 05:01:04 am by Hog are ya
We need guys like Hall and Osebiukin (sp?) to put on 20 lbs of muscle.

I've been watching this thing called hog basketball for a long time.  And in Hall, I can't remember a player, that as a freshmen, (granted raw), but had more potential, a motor, attitude, athleticism, room for improvement, and just reek of being a potential "special" player.  Next year will be a struggle, but I predict amazing things in his future.  I think we will witness him growing into one of our all-time greats!  During this process he will fill out more physically, which will make him all the more scary!

I think it will be a four year amazing progression with him.... 

Hog are ya

And to bore you with a follow up question.  Some of you old heads, who does he remind you of?  I think he is pretty unique in his potential.  He's got a little of that Hood mentality, but a total different body and player.  Reminds me a little of Kenen Debose, I misspelled I know.  But I don't think we ever had any one quite like what he potentially brings to the table?

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: hawkhawg on March 10, 2018, 10:29:55 pm

Yes.  Wallace supposedly told LJ after his run in with Day is 'You maybe an All American on the court but you're a bitch off of it'

98hogs

Yes he was

Athog

Most overused quote in Razorback basketball history! We need better players! Duh!

(notOM)Rebel123

We also need to beat Missouri on the road and avoid the Thursday night game.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Soooie21

Gafford is still a pup...he needs to grow into a man....

labb

Quote from: galactivation on March 10, 2018, 10:54:05 pm
west Virginia?
Virginia plays very methodical
When I say fast for them I am not talking about up and down the court but how they move the ball and make their cuts in the half court.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hog are ya on March 11, 2018, 04:32:34 am
I've been watching this thing called hog basketball for a long time.  And in Hall, I can't remember a player, that as a freshmen, (granted raw), but had more potential, a motor, attitude, athleticism, room for improvement, and just reek of being a potential "special" player.  Next year will be a struggle, but I predict amazing things in his future.  I think we will witness him growing into one of our all-time greats!  During this process he will fill out more physically, which will make him all the more scary!

Completely agree.  Everytime I watch him, I get really excited.  If Gafford decides to stay, we'll surprise a bunch of people.  The kid from New Mexico is going to be very good for us at guard.  People forget about him when discussing next year.  Also, we have a ton of talent being infused, especially if Garland gets cleared.

Hoggish1

Quote from: rtr on March 10, 2018, 08:32:54 pm

We are also sloppy with the ball.  When we get away with it, we're good.  But Tenn picked our pockets a lot.

rtr

Yes, he was, just shows you how skinny and frail we are.  We have forwards who are in the 6'6" range, Gafford and Thompson are the exceptions.

Razorback_Mack

That statement is taken out of context all the time. We won 3 SWC regular season championships, 3 SWC tournament championships, 1 SEC regular season championship, made an elite 8, and made a final four with that group. Do you think we had any "men?"

rtr

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on March 11, 2018, 10:59:09 am
That statement is taken out of context all the time. We won 3 SWC regular season championships, 3 SWC tournament championships, 1 SEC regular season championship, made an elite 8, and made a final four with that group. Do you think we had any “men?”
Of course we did.

Letsroll1200

One of the biggest issues on this team is Jones and Bailey still look like true freshman. There are times when both are absolutely lost on defense. Bailey offense is offensive. Jones is terribly inconsistent. These two guys have to make a jump in the NCAA tournament.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Hog are ya on March 11, 2018, 04:32:34 am

Hall of fame level dumb post.

klp1

Reggie Chaney looks like a grown man right now.

Locutus_of_Boar

As I remember the LJ quote as he was running the court past Richardson said:  "Get yourself some men, my man!"

Johnson didn't have a lot of respect for some of Nolan's players but he did respect the man.

If he were still playing the game the question these days would be if he'd even bother to acknowledge anyone on the Arkansas bench except maybe a "man what are you doing here?" grin at Scottie Thurman.

rtr

Quote from: klp1 on March 11, 2018, 12:14:40 pm
Reggie Chaney looks like a grown man right now.
This and Ethan Henderson will help.  If Gafford comes back, we will be ok.  A big if.  Another big if just for fun, if Reggie Perry had stayed committed we would be in business.

zebradynasty

Quote from: rtr on March 11, 2018, 01:07:31 pm
This and Ethan Henderson will help.  If Gafford comes back, we will be ok.  A big if.  Another big if just for fun, if Reggie Perry had stayed committed we would be in business.

I dunno Henderson is smallish (weight and muscle) also. He is long and athletic.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 11, 2018, 11:45:27 am
One of the biggest issues on this team is Jones and Bailey still look like true freshman. There are times when both are absolutely lost on defense. Bailey offense is offensive. Jones is terribly inconsistent. These two guys have to make a jump in the NCAA tournament.

I've had similar thoughts ..we needed him to be Bell or Hannahs off the bench and that was too much to ask for... as for AB just hasn't shown liked I'd hoped but we'll see..

as for the OP.....Gran Ma Ma's quote holds for this team.. but men come in all sizes.. Hall could end up being a man, Gafford, Chaney and Henderson all have size.. I still think we see a transfer with or with out DG leaving...

AHiD

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on March 10, 2018, 11:08:33 pm
Lol Jump Ball should just be renamed "Stuck in the 90's"

True. People call Mike Anderson "Mediocre" because they think that anyone that doesn't make the Sweet16 each year at Arkansas is mediocre.
My name...is Jerruh

Mjs84

Baby faced Trey Thompson?  Are you kidding me?  He would get roughed up in the women's leauge.  Lol, these Hog fans sometimes...man!

Mjs84

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on March 11, 2018, 10:59:09 am
That statement is taken out of context all the time. We won 3 SWC regular season championships, 3 SWC tournament championships, 1 SEC regular season championship, made an elite 8, and made a final four with that group. Do you think we had any "men?"

Darnell Robinson and Lee Wilson were both 6"11, Dwight Stewart was every bit as large as they were.  Remember a guy named "big nasy"?  He didn't get that name by accident.

Mjs84

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on March 11, 2018, 01:51:00 pm
True. People call Mike Anderson "Mediocre" because they think that anyone that doesn't make the Sweet16 each year at Arkansas is mediocre.

Or win road games and make the ncaa tourney each year.

razorback1829

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 11, 2018, 12:12:50 pm
Hall of fame level dumb post.

Not at all. Dae Dae has some serious potential. I see a 3 and D long wing written all over him. Watch him develop and make a sophomore jump similar to Qualls.

steveaustin69

Quote from: razorback1829 on March 11, 2018, 04:02:27 pm
Not at all. Dae Dae has some serious potential. I see a 3 and D long wing written all over him. Watch him develop and make a sophomore jump similar to Qualls.

Anything you won't chirp me on?

Does he show flashes? Sure.

Does he reek of potential for being a special player? No.

Qualls isn't a bad compariosn; I wouldn't consider Qualls close to one of our all time greats which is why I said what i said.