Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008/2009 St. Louis Cardinals Offseason News

Started by Hogtropolis™, September 29, 2008, 06:41:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FaytownHog

They won't be turning a profit if they keep putting a loosing team on the field!
Quote from: dhornjr1 on February 07, 2009, 12:45:46 am
It's not that Mozeliak has no testicular fortitude, it's that the people who control the pursestrings tell him what he can and cannot do.

Ownership is willing to spend some money, but they're not willing to go completely in the red to put a winning team on the field. They're hoping to turn a profit every year, and according to Bernie Miklasz, they're doing it with the new ballpark.

ACDCHogs

Cardinals release 2B Adam Kennedy per Joe Strauss.

Makes room for Skip Schumaker to play 2B (played SS in college) and Colby Rasmus to make big league team in OF.
I live on the rock n' roll train.

dacskc

February 09, 2009, 01:40:53 pm #153 Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 01:43:28 pm by dacskc
Quote from: ACDCHogs on February 09, 2009, 01:20:38 pm

Makes room for Skip Schumaker to play 2B (played SS in college) and Colby Rasmus to make big league team in OF.

You beat me to it! Here's the article:

Cardinals give Kennedy his release
Club required to pay rest of contract; second base up in air
By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

ST. LOUIS -- Five days before the start of Spring Training, the Cardinals made perhaps their most eye-catching move of the offseason, granting second baseman Adam Kennedy his unconditional release on Monday.
As a provision of releasing Kennedy, the Cardinals are required to pay the remainder of his contract. He is free to sign with any team. Typically, when a released player signs with another club, the new team pays him the Major League minimum, and the original team picks up the rest of the contract. Kennedy is owed $4 million in 2009, the final season of a three-year contract with St. Louis.

Kennedy, 33, batted .280 with a .321 on-base percentage and .372 slugging percentage in 2008. He saw his playing time dwindle as the 2008 season went on and requested a trade late in the year. Unable to work out a deal, the Cards held onto Kennedy until Monday.

"We have exhausted all trade possibilities for Adam, and have decided that it was within both the club and the player's best interests to give Adam his unconditional release," general manager John Mozeliak said in a release issued by the team. "As stated last year, it has been our intention -- at Adam's request -- to try and seek a trade. As we move forward, we feel that it is best to try and fill the second base position with other players from within our organization."

With Kennedy gone, the Cardinals have no clear-cut favorite to man second base in 2009. Among the candidates for playing time are Brendan Ryan, Brian Barden, Joe Thurston and possibly outfielder Skip Schumaker, who will be working out at second base this spring.

Awesome!I hope Skip looks good @2b, and we do indeed see Rasmus!

FaytownHog

not a big loss IMO. could actually be better. it seems like forever since we've had a second baseman that i liked, but i usually like skip!
Quote from: ACDCHogs on February 09, 2009, 01:20:38 pm

FaytownHog

wow, an unconditional release and getting NOTHING for a trade is a little weird. must have been a bad situation.

dacskc

Quote from: FaytownHog on February 09, 2009, 01:43:05 pm
wow, an unconditional release and getting NOTHING for a trade is a little weird. must have been a bad situation.

It does make you wonder why they got rid of Miles if there was some ongoing problem there. Kennedy's backside was on the bench most of last year anyway, why they get rid of a solid backup is beyond me...surely they knew this could happen. I've never seen Skip in the IF, but I guess there's some confidence there. I really don't care that much to see any of the others mentioned in the list (at least as a starter).

Hogtropolis™

I think I would really like Skip there if he can hack it defensively.

I am also a pretty big fan of Brendan Ryan and am interested to see what he can do if he is given regular playing time.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on February 09, 2009, 02:48:03 pm

I think I would really like Skip there if he can hack it defensively.

I am also a pretty big fan of Brendan Ryan and am interested to see what he can do if he is given regular playing time.

I like Ryan as well. He could be a very good shortstop but he keeps himself out of the lineup by making too many mental errors. I remember hearing some people say that LaRussa doesn't trust Ryan because he thinks he a flake, or an airhead. In other words, he thinks he's not very bright.

I don't know if that's true but I guess it would explain why they keep looking for other options at short.         

dacskc

Here's the spring training Schedule, the 1st game broadcast by Fox Midwest (FS-M) isn't until mid-March. If you have the Fox Sports Pack (well worth the $) you can usually find several more of the games broadcast on the opponent's network. I hope we are able to see some of the earlier games, I really want to see Todd.

February
Wednesday, February 25  vs Marlins  12:05 PM   
Thursday, February 26  @ Orioles  12:05 PM   
Friday, February 27  @ Mets  12:10 PM   
Saturday, February 28  vs Nationals  12:05 PM   

March
Sunday, March 1  @ Marlins  12:05 PM   
Monday, March 2  vs Rays  12:05 PM   
Tuesday, March 3  @ Mets  12:10 PM   
Thursday, March 5  vs Dominican Republic  1:05 PM   
Friday, March 6  vs Mets  12:05 PM   
Saturday, March 7  @ Astros  12:05 PM   
Sunday, March 8  vs Marlins  12:05 PM   
Tuesday, March 10  vs Tigers  12:05 PM   
Wednesday, March 11  @ Marlins  12:05 PM   
Thursday, March 12  vs Red Sox  12:05 PM   
Friday, March 13  @ Orioles  12:05 PM   
  vs Orioles  6:05 PM   
Saturday, March 14  vs Braves  12:05 PM  KSDK 5 
Sunday, March 15  @ Phillies  12:05 PM   
Monday, March 16  @ Tigers  12:05 PM  FS-M 
Wednesday, March 18  vs Orioles  12:05 PM  FS-M 
  @ Orioles  12:05 PM   
Thursday, March 19  @ Rays  12:05 PM   
Friday, March 20  vs Phillies  12:05 PM   
Saturday, March 21  @ Nationals  12:05 PM   
Sunday, March 22  vs Orioles  12:05 PM  KSDK 5 
Monday, March 23  vs Nationals  12:05 PM   
Wednesday, March 25  vs Astros  12:05 PM  FS-M 
Thursday, March 26  vs Mets  12:05 PM   
Friday, March 27  @ Red Sox  12:05 PM   
Saturday, March 28  vs Orioles  12:05 PM   
Sunday, March 29  @ Twins  12:05 PM  FS-M 
Monday, March 30  vs Marlins  12:05 PM   
Tuesday, March 31  @ Orioles  12:05 PM   

April
Wednesday, April 1  vs Mets  12:05 PM   
Thursday, April 2  @ Marlins  12:05 PM   
Friday, April 3  @ Memphis  7:05 PM  FS-M 
Saturday, April 4  @ Memphis  1:05 PM   

dacskc

Good news on Carp? Take it with a grain of salt:

(excerpt from Bernie Miklasz article)

HE IS OPTMISTIC ABOUT CHRIS CARPENTER: This is a big one for me, because Duncan has credibility. He says what's on his mind. He isn't worried about being politically correct. He doesn't engage in false spin. He's not going to tell you that the glass is half full when it's running low. A couple of months ago, for example, Duncan said that he couldn't afford to count on Carpenter for 2009, because Carp's viability was still up in the air because of a nerve problem in his pitching arm. Duncan wasn't buying the team's happy talk on the medical front. But on Tuesday, Duncan said he's very encouraged by Carpenter's status, even though Carpenter has started only 5 games over the last two seasons. Duncan said that team trainer Barry Weinberg told him that Carpenter can have a normal routine in spring training. Carpenter doesn't have to be held back, or handled with extra care. He can throw and get his work in like all of the other pitchers.  That's why Duncan is optimistic. Because Carpenter will be ready to go from Day 1 of spring training. No baby steps are needed. Now: that said, Duncan also wanted to make the point that the real tests will come all spring, when Carpenter pitches in games. And that Carpenter must pass those tests. But as for now? Duncan, formerly pessimistic says this: "We have a feeling he'll be in the opening-day rotation." That's because Carpenter at least is starting on schedule as spring training begins. That's a plus.

FaytownHog

we have to have carpenter to have any chance this year i think. he may have made the difference in NOT getting over the hump last year!
Quote from: dacskc on February 10, 2009, 06:32:49 pm
Good news on Carp? Take it with a grain of salt:

(excerpt from Bernie Miklasz article)

HE IS OPTMISTIC ABOUT CHRIS CARPENTER: This is a big one for me, because Duncan has credibility. He says what’s on his mind. He isn’t worried about being politically correct. He doesn’t engage in false spin. He’s not going to tell you that the glass is half full when it’s running low. A couple of months ago, for example, Duncan said that he couldn’t afford to count on Carpenter for 2009, because Carp’s viability was still up in the air because of a nerve problem in his pitching arm. Duncan wasn’t buying the team’s happy talk on the medical front. But on Tuesday, Duncan said he’s very encouraged by Carpenter’s status, even though Carpenter has started only 5 games over the last two seasons. Duncan said that team trainer Barry Weinberg told him that Carpenter can have a normal routine in spring training. Carpenter doesn’t have to be held back, or handled with extra care. He can throw and get his work in like all of the other pitchers.  That’s why Duncan is optimistic. Because Carpenter will be ready to go from Day 1 of spring training. No baby steps are needed. Now: that said, Duncan also wanted to make the point that the real tests will come all spring, when Carpenter pitches in games. And that Carpenter must pass those tests. But as for now? Duncan, formerly pessimistic says this: “We have a feeling he’ll be in the opening-day rotation.” That’s because Carpenter at least is starting on schedule as spring training begins. That’s a plus.

dacskc

Quote from: FaytownHog on February 10, 2009, 06:41:04 pm
we have to have carpenter to have any chance this year i think. he may have made the difference in NOT getting over the hump last year!

Hopefully, that changes, more Carp news:

The Carpenter Watch: Waiting to Exhale
By Joe Strauss
St. Louis Post-Dispatch

JUPITER, FLA — Chris Carpenter takes the mound Wednesday for the first time since a nerve disorder shut down his 2008 season and a non-related issue required November nerve transposition near his right elbow.

"I don't know if there's any special significance," Carpenter said. "I'm just getting up there starting to get my arm in shape. Playing catch it feels great. It feels strong. I'm just looking forward to doing all the normal stuff."

Carpenter enters camp barely behind his pitching compadres. For now, pitching coach Dave Duncan has tentatively slotted Carpenter's first Grapefruit League  appearance for the Cardinals' fourth game, Feb. 28 against the Washington Nationals at Roger Dean Stadium.

Projected "No. 6 starter" Kyle McClellan will likely piggyback Carpenter's starts.

"You go each time and build up, from batting practice to getting ready to pitch in a game. It's pretty much normal stuff," Carpenter said.

dhornjr1

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel is reporting that Braden Looper has signed a one year deal with the Brewers.

I'm posting from my phone and can't give a link, so if someone would do that I would appreciate it.

dhornjr1

I don't trust Carpenter's comeback.

It looks like the rotation will be Lohse, Wain, and pray for rain.         

dhornjr1

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: dhornjr1 on February 11, 2009, 12:48:49 pm
Thanks for that, 'trop.

I was holding out hope we might re-sign Looper. He's not Dizzy Dean but he was fairly effective last season.  
I will agree with that.  Most of the time he would at least give us a chance to win, which is what you want.

Carp (if healthy)
Wain (hopefully he doesn't have any more trouble)
Loshe

Do we still have Wellemeyer or Pineiro?  I can't remember now.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

The season can not come soon enough! Tired of sitting inside watching bball games! Gimme some baseball, hotdogs, beer, and summer baby!
ched come back pls

dacskc

Quote from: HogsnCards on February 11, 2009, 02:38:10 pm
The season can not come soon enough! Tired of sitting inside watching bball games! Gimme some baseball, hotdogs, beer, and summer baby!

Ditto. That sounds like an adequate remedy for just about anything (including the exercise in futility that is our Basketball season).

dhornjr1

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on February 11, 2009, 01:03:58 pm
I will agree with that.  Most of the time he would at least give us a chance to win, which is what you want.

Carp (if healthy)
Wain (hopefully he doesn't have any more trouble)
Loshe

Do we still have Wellemeyer or Pineiro?  I can't remember now.

Yeah, they still have Wellemeyer and Pineiro. I had to double check the forty man roster to make sure about Wellemeyer.

dhornjr1

dacskc

Quote from: dhornjr1 on February 12, 2009, 02:27:08 am
St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa wins in ouster of Adam Kennedy

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/berniemiklasz/story/3AFA4A41F027B7908625755B00121B29?OpenDocument

After reading that, I'm waiting to hear that Luhnow wants to dump Pujols' contract so some guy at Springfield can play first. I hope the slope's not that slippery, but I can see  "moneyball"  causing discontent. I remember Cowherd doing a segment on this last summer and how that whole approach had basically failed in the long run...wish I could remember some of his points. (I don't pay any attention to the A's...so it was fairly new to me).

dacskc

You are probably right about the little guy cutting out the weekend trips.We went to 2 weekend series last year, our daughter went to a week long summer camp, plus other mini-trips, (no big vacations). I don't know if we'll be doing any of that this summer.

I wonder how Cubs/Sox/Yankees are immune, I imagine they will take the same hit as every other club. I know they've got more $$ to start with and loyal fans...but for how long? Card fans are more likely to continue support than just about any other team, so maybe things won't be as bad as they could be. If the youngsters pan out, who knows, maybe attendance will go up. I just hope management doesn't overreact.

ACDCHogs

Quote from: dacskc on February 12, 2009, 06:44:52 pm
Brady Holzhauer...I wondered whatever happened to him.

Yeah I know, he just disappeared, but I like his blog! There's a lot of guys working on it that all know their stuff.
I live on the rock n' roll train.

pigture perfect

With everything set now for spring training, for the third year in a row I don't see any hope of sniffing the playoffs. I will resign myself to having to believe that we will finish tied for 4th in the division with the Reds and just ahead of the Pirates.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

dhornjr1

Quote from: dacskc on February 12, 2009, 10:30:35 am

After reading that, I'm waiting to hear that Luhnow wants to dump Pujols' contract so some guy at Springfield can play first. I hope the slope's not that slippery, but I can see  "moneyball"  causing discontent. I remember Cowherd doing a segment on this last summer and how that whole approach had basically failed in the long run...wish I could remember some of his points. (I don't pay any attention to the A's...so it was fairly new to me).

I thought the same thing. "Moneyball" was the hot thing for a while, but has it produced any winners?

Is Theo Epstein a "Moneyball" disciple? If he is, I guess that would prove it would work. That and a $200 million payroll.

As much as I dislike many of LaRussa's managerial tactics, they can't just cut him off from the decision making process.

Now, the question is this: If LaRussa decides to head to greener pastures after this season, who is our next manager? I get the shakes just thinking about who ownership will go after.

dhornjr1

Quote from: pigture perfect on February 12, 2009, 08:59:27 pm
With everything set now for spring training, for the third year in a row I don't see any hope of sniffing the playoffs. I will resign myself to having to believe that we will finish tied for 4th in the division with the Reds and just ahead of the Pirates.

Yep. Anything higher than a fourth place finish would have to be considered a success. We have some offense, but the pitching, as usual, is very iffy.

dhornjr1

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: dhornjr1 on February 13, 2009, 01:58:51 am
I thought the same thing. "Moneyball" was the hot thing for a while, but has it produced any winners?

Is Theo Epstein a "Moneyball" disciple? If he is, I guess that would prove it would work. That and a $200 million payroll.

As much as I dislike many of LaRussa's managerial tactics, they can't just cut him off from the decision making process.

Now, the question is this: If LaRussa decides to head to greener pastures after this season, who is our next manager? I get the shakes just thinking about who ownership will go after.
When LaRussa leaves, I think that Jose Oquindo will be the next manager.

fearless_leader

Cards have plenty of questions.

Who do they come up with to play SS/2B - those are the first two questions.  Gonna have a groundball staff, can't be poor  up the middle defensively.   

Biggest questions is - what happens to Carpenter?  IF he's good for 200 innings, it's just a whole different team than if he's good for zero. 

Piniero is gonna be better this year than last - how much?  The bullpen is gonna be better this year than last - law of averages says that. 

Can Mozeliak make use of some spare parts at OF to come up with another pitcher or middle infielder?  Still expect Schumaker to get traded - unless he proves he can play 2B OK defensively (unlikely). 

Can Ludwick repeat or even come close to repeating?   Can Wellemeyer repeat and add innings?  Can McClellan move to the rotation and pull it off with a sub 4.0 ERA?  Is Wainright's finger right?  Can Freese (Mather, whoever) hold 3rd base till Glaus is well - will Wallace progress enough to pencil in for 2010?  Can Rasmus get a job out of spring ball?  Is Chris Duncan well?  If so, what do you do with him?  Hard for him to find PT in a corner OF spot or 1B...

I like the lineup potential with Rasmus, Ludwick, Ankiel, and Pujols.  Get somebody to have an ops of 850 at 3B and that's pretty good. 

FaytownHog

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on February 13, 2009, 06:28:12 am
quote seond that. He could have left to be a manager somewhere already but he's sticking around for a reason. I think he has potential to be a good one too!

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: fearless_leader on February 13, 2009, 07:12:55 am
Who do they come up with to play SS/2B - those are the first two questions.  Gonna have a groundball staff, can't be poor  up the middle defensively.  
Khalil Greene will be the starting SS.

pigture perfect

Greene will be a great defensive SS. He could be a steal fro us if he turns out to be another great #6 like the last one we got from SD. The other guys name was Smith I think. He wasn't that great offensively til later in his career either.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

i may be crazy, but i want wainwright as teh closer. how times do you use a closer? a lot more often than one starting pitcher, i dont want teh same drama last year, i dont want to worry (that much) about a 3 run lead in the 9th, as i did last year.
ched come back pls

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: HogsnCards on February 13, 2009, 12:28:27 pm
i may be crazy, but i want wainwright as teh closer. how times do you use a closer? a lot more often than one starting pitcher, i dont want teh same drama last year, i dont want to worry (that much) about a 3 run lead in the 9th, as i did last year.
I'll disagree with you.  Wainwright is a good starting pitcher.  I think a good starting pitcher is better than a good closer.

I think we will find a capable closer this year, I just hope it doesn't take half the year to do it.

dacskc

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on February 13, 2009, 12:36:14 pm
I'll disagree with you.  Wainwright is a good starting pitcher.  I think a good starting pitcher is better than a good closer.

I think we will find a capable closer this year, I just hope it doesn't take half the year to do it.

I think you're right...mainly because with Izzy out of the picture, I think TLR will have an open mind. Last year, I was beginning to think Izzy must've donated him a kidney or something

dhornjr1

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on February 13, 2009, 06:28:12 am

Personally, I hope it's not Jose Oquendo.

21 years ago, I saw a Busch Stadium tour guide ask Oquendo, ever so sweetly, if he would give a little boy on our tour an autograph. He got rude with the guide, cussed her out, and walked away. She turned around red-faced, walked back to us, and told the entire group that he wouldn't sign anything. The little boy began to cry as Oquendo was his favorite player and he was wearing a little jersey with Oquendo's name and number on it.

So, I guess I'm a little biased against him.         

FaytownHog

i could see how that would effect your opinion. if i saw that, i'd probably be the same way.
Quote from: dhornjr1 on February 13, 2009, 08:05:06 pm
Personally, I hope it's not Jose Oquendo.

21 years ago, I saw a Busch Stadium tour guide ask Oquendo, ever so sweetly, if he would give a little boy on our tour an autograph. He got rude with the guide, cussed her out, and walked away. She turned around red-faced, walked back to us, and told the entire group that he wouldn't sign anything. The little boy began to cry as Oquendo was his favorite player and he was wearing a little jersey with Oquendo's name and number on it.

So, I guess I'm a little biased against him.        

dacskc

February 14, 2009, 10:20:08 am #190 Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 10:22:22 am by dacskc

THE WATERCOOLER

FEARLESS FORECAST: It seems something unexpected happens personnel-wise almost every spring before the Cardinals break camp in Jupiter. If you were to make one prediction of something that may surprise fans by the time this year's team heads north, what would it be?

RICK HUMMEL
Chris Duncan, healed from disk surgery in his neck, will be at least a platoon player in left field and will start against most righthanded pitching. Duncan is the club's best No. 2 hitter ahead of Albert Pujols because he knows the strike zone better than Ankiel or Ludwick and will draw a walk, if necessary, to have a man on in front of Pujols. Duncan then would be replaced for defense in the late innings by Schumaker or whomever.

DERRICK GOOLD
The five starters the Cardinals take north to open the season will not be the five starters that they currently have penciled into the rotation. But Chris Carpenter WILL BE one of those five, healthy and ready.

JOE STRAUSS
A third candidate will emerge as closer and there will be a surprise importation of another lefthanded reliever.

JEFF GORDON
Here is something that would surprise fans: The Cardinals will make a significant addition before the team heads north. Fans seem to believe the roster is frozen. It is not. If a team need becomes glaring during camp — due to further injuries or the failures of young players — John Mozeliak will have options. Remember, Mo professed happiness with his pitching last spring right up to the point when he signed Kyle Lohse.

BRYAN BURWELL
The biggest surprise of spring training will be the re-emergence of Chris Duncan as a productive offensive weapon. he's healthy again for the first time in two years.[/b]

TOM ACKERMAN (Manager of Sports Operations at KMOX)
Career minor leaguer Joe Thurston lands the starting assignment at second base on Opening Day. Sure, there are more familiar names in the second base competition: Brendan Ryan, Skip Schumaker, maybe even Joe Mather. But unlike Adam Kennedy, Ryan is a righthanded hitter. And Schumaker and Mather would have to make an extraordinary adjustment to switch from OF to 2B in the big leagues. There are a couple of reasons why the Cardinals acquired Thurston — he hits lefthanded and fields his position well. And his offensive numbers last season at Pawtucket (AAA) were more than adequate for 507 at-bats: .316, 11 HR, 64 RBI. He posted a .367 OBP, scored 83 runs and swiped 19 bases. Not bad. Thurston will turn 30 this season; he's paid his dues. If he can turn a consistent double play with Khalil Greene and get on base this spring, he'll get the nod.

HUH???????????????? I mean, these are predictions, but what are they smokin'?

clifflee4mvp

damn! hope they are right about duncan. he had some big holes to fill in that swing of his.
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

A-Town Hog Fan

It would be great to see him with the big club this year.
Lord help us all!

dhornjr1

Former St. Louis Cardinal Jason Isringhausen
would like to make comeback with team

No, this is not an early April Fool's joke. If they bring this sore-armed bastard back, and he makes the roster when they head north, I am done with them.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/F5EED3AA656372E086257560000B88A7?OpenDocument

dhornjr1

dhornjr1

St. Louis Cardinals' Pujols says winning is his top priority

I think Mr. Pujols is throwing down the gauntlet to ownership.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/87B3DC50CE4176428625755F00109BF1?OpenDocument

"...if they're not on the same page of bringing championship caliber (players) to play every year, then it's time to go somewhere else where I can win."

Uh-oh.

fearless_leader

Obviously if the Cards management team decides they won't pay what Pujols wants when his contract runs out after 2011 (still 3 years from now), they'll trade him for a bleeping KINGS ransom to some potential contender. 

I'd hate to see that happen.

And on Moneyball, what Oakland did from 2000 to 2005 was plainly remarkable.  Given a payroll consistently in the bottom third they won as many games in those years as anybody did.

No, they never got LUCKY and won a championship, but goodness Billy Beane has made some shrewd moves to swap overrated veterans for up and coming studs (see the whip marks on Walt Jocketty's behind from the Mulder for Haren - AND - Calero - AND - Daric Barton deal). 

Kansas City and Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are typically what you wind up with if you've got a salary in the bottom third - consistently losing.  Oakland and Minnesota are both well ran franchises that pride themselves in smart moves and EXCELLENT scouting and drafting and player development.

dacskc

Quote from: fearless_leader on February 18, 2009, 07:46:41 pm
Oakland and Minnesota are both well ran franchises that pride themselves in smart moves and EXCELLENT scouting and drafting and player development.

I don't know if I give the Card's management THAT much credit.(although it's pretty early into the new regime, and it remains to be seen....I wonder how much baseball sense these guys have!) Some of the things these guys have done so far have been pure headscratchers. Who knows? Maybe it works out, ala the A's.