Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking good... BUT

Started by hawgtime, February 18, 2018, 01:52:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgtime

I was impressed by the passing to an open man usually a SLAM by A&M.

I am glad we are winning but we need to pass more and DRIBBLE less. 

I love these shooters and I hope that they can elevate their game and deliver us a NCAA championship.  It is POSSIBLE.

roothawg

There is always a but by somebody. Always looking to complain complain complain
Waa waa waa . get over it. The hogs are pretty good even with their faults.

Hog_Fink

we played way more as a team, we hit tough shots, but still too much iso for my liking. hero Ball kills us imo

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

BannerMountainMan

We beat a top 25 team by 20, could've done better
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

USChog

Maybe if I CAPITALIZE some WORDS it will seem like I HAVE a point. 

greenEGnHAWGS

I especially love the critique of our offense who just put up more points vs a good defense than any other team this season.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

daprospecta

Quote from: hawgtime on February 18, 2018, 01:52:29 pm

I love these shooters and I hope that they can elevate their game and deliver us a NCAA championship.  It is POSSIBLE.

I won't beat you up like everyone else. I will say this, when I watched those passes and dunks, I thought we don't do that enough(It happens once or maybe twice a game).  On the flipside, we controlled a top 25 team from start to finish.  Those thoughts get lost in the sauce after a win like that.

jgphillips3

Quote from: daprospecta on February 18, 2018, 02:30:31 pm
I won't beat you up like everyone else. I will say this, when I watched those passes and dunks, I thought we don't do that enough(It happens once or maybe twice a game).  On the flipside, we controlled a top 25 team from start to finish.  Those thoughts get lost in the sauce after a win like that.

This.  We haven't handled a quality opponent like that since non-conference.  Good observation but you can't reasonably have complaints after a win like that.  Caution maybe...but not complaints.

hawgball40

I was actually impressed by our strategy. harass hogg and davis, run everyone off the 3 and take our chances leaving gafford alone in the post. Sure, williams had a nice stat line and some easy dunks, but their team lost by double digits. I actually liked the strategy. We're weak on perimeter defense because we collapse so much usually. we didn't do that yesterday and as a result we beat a caliber team, while giving them easier looks inside, but nothing from deep.

daBoar

A&M may have the two best starting big men in the conference.  One of them could be a lottery pick.  Both were taller and maybe stronger than any of our big guys.  I thought the Hogs did darn well against them.

tennesseehogwild

February 18, 2018, 03:17:45 pm #11 Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:33:50 pm by tennesseehogwild
We played a really good 2nd half, especially last 10 minutes. Ended the first half kinda iffy and it was kinda shocking, to me,  we were up by 11 at the break. Had a lot to do with Aggies living at the line and missing a bunch of FT's. Looking forward to Kentucky Tuesday Night! We sure owe them! GHG!

rude1

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 18, 2018, 02:30:16 pm
I especially love the critique of our offense who just put up more points vs a good defense than any other team this season.
LMAO. You have to love this fan base. One of the most efficient and effective offensive teams we have had in a long time, yet the script carrying complaining fans complain because we aren't running "set plays". This team has has some very good offensive outings against some good defensive teams, their problem has always been what they didn't do when it came to defending.

jchill

Quote from: rude1 on February 18, 2018, 03:25:49 pm
LMAO. You have to love this fan base. One of the most efficient and effective offensive teams we have had in a long time, yet the script carrying complaining fans complain because we aren't running "set plays". This team has has some very good offensive outings against some good defensive teams, their problem has always been what they didn't do when it came to defending.

Even though we struggled on defense, some of the threes that teams were knocking down was just plain serendipity. It was just a bad stretch where teams could knock down threes while blindfolded after spinning around three times...lol.

rude1

Quote from: jchill on February 18, 2018, 03:32:00 pm

Even though we struggled on defense, some of the threes that teams were knocking down was just plain serendipity. It was just a bad stretch where teams could knock down threes while blindfolded after spinning around three times...lol.
No, they were wide open looks, you don't make that many lucky 3s in a game. Most teams can make the three if you allow them to shoot them like they do in practice, catch, take your time, go up in rhythm and knock them down, it wasn't luck. Teams were all having one of their best shooting games against us, that's not just making lucky shots.

hawgtime

Quote from: rude1 on February 18, 2018, 03:25:49 pm

I am not complaining, just hoping that these seniors can continue to improve and will get hot enough as a group over the next 60 days to bring us a championship.  This is our best chance yet with a Mike team.  I wasn't wanting SET plays.  I am wanting guys to stop dribbling so much. sometimes that is all that we do and only one guy will touch the ball.

Dominicanhog

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: hawgtime on February 18, 2018, 04:37:51 pm
I am not complaining, just hoping that these seniors can continue to improve and will get hot enough as a group over the next 60 days to bring us a championship.  This is our best chance yet with a Mike team.  I wasn't wanting SET plays.  I am wanting guys to stop dribbling so much. sometimes that is all that we do and only one guy will touch the ball.

1. It's going to happen from time to time. Since this has been such a hot topic on HV, I've been watching other teams to see if they do it and by golly...it sure does even with the best coached teams.

2. It's been weeks since this has been a major problem. Our offense has not been an issue for most games this season.

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 18, 2018, 04:46:16 pm
rapid fire,,,posting...

on the course all day, trying to get caught up.. still got Politice and now Omahogs

mhuff

rude1

Quote from: hawgtime on February 18, 2018, 04:37:51 pm
We have TWO ball dominant players and a 3rd(Beard), who would like to be. Fortunately Beard has learned to defer to the other two guys who are outstanding with the ball in their hands, breaking down a defender and getting off a shot they can make. Why would we need to change that, and have them passing the ball to guys who aren't capable of making anything happen with it? Once again, if the offense works, and it does very well, what is the point of taking the ball out of their hands and giving it to guys who can't create?

AlmaHog2011

The more we play Hall and Gabe O the better we are on defense. Jones is also starting to play harder on defense. Those 3 are athletic. Hall has a great motor and really plays all phases of the game. With Gafford really coming on we are about to really be good.

Going to be fun.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: rude1 on February 18, 2018, 05:37:17 pm
We have TWO ball dominant players and a 3rd(Beard), who would like to be. Fortunately Beard has learned to defer to the other two guys who are outstanding with the ball in their hands, breaking down a defender and getting off a shot they can make. Why would we need to change that, and have them passing the ball to guys who aren't capable of making anything happen with it? Once again, if the offense works, and it does very well, what is the point of taking the ball out of their hands and giving it to guys who can't create?

Macon and Barford will dribble a lot and take and make tough shots. They are great offensive players.

rude1

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on February 18, 2018, 05:45:21 pm
Macon and Barford will dribble a lot and take and make tough shots. They are great offensive players.
Yes. They are both ball dominant players, but they are able to make plays for others too. But the team has also shown they can win when those two aren't making shots because the defense has gotten better and those guys can turn into play makers for others when they aren't making shots.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: rude1 on February 18, 2018, 05:51:33 pm
Yes. They are both ball dominant players, but they are able to make plays for others too. But the team has also shown they can win when those two aren't making shots because the defense has gotten better and those guys can turn into play makers for others when they aren't making shots.

I agree..helps to get scoring from Gafford and now Hall and Jones. Just relying on Macon and Barford made us look bad at times but now that more players are scoring we are playing a lot better.

From Tusk Till Dawn

The two areas I was most pleased with were Gafford's free throw shooting and our bench's production.  There were several guys that hit some midrange jumpers.  If we can keep that up, I think it makes Barford and Macons job alot easier.  It sure would be noce to get our 20th win of the season against KU.