Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best masked wrestler that you ever saw in action?

Started by rzrbkman, January 07, 2018, 09:01:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbkman

IMO, it was The Spoiler. I used to see a lot of his matches on Georgia Champioship Wrestling in the 70's and 80's and I still re watch a lot of his matches on YouTube. He had great ring and physical skills and his ability to walk the ropes was 2nd to none. Yes, there were other great masked wrestlers out there but none as great as The Spoiler in my opinion.

jbcarol

Prince Puma was doing great work under the mask.

Pentagon Dark and King Cuerno are also entertaining.

Jushin Thunder Liger and Rey Mysterio are all-time greats.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

husker71

Mr Wrestling (I or II??)  was a big deal in Georgia during the 70s and 80s and his turning on Magnum TA.  Before that Doctor X was a great villain in the 60s.  Don't forget when they kicked out Dusty Rhodes and the next week a masked guy who sounded just like and looked just like Dusty appeared on the scene   The Midnight Ryder

Jones3744

Quote from: husker71 on January 11, 2018, 03:06:01 am
Mr Wrestling (I or II??)  was a big deal in Georgia during the 70s and 80s and his turning on Magnum TA.  Before that Doctor X was a great villain in the 60s.  Don't forget when they kicked out Dusty Rhodes and the next week a masked guy who sounded just like and looked just like Dusty appeared on the scene   The Midnight Ryder

Or how about Stagger Lee AKA The Junkyard Dog

rzrbkman

I enjoy talking about all various masked wrestlers BUT my question was, in your opinion, who was the best. Which masked wrestler, not as a brief gimmick, but which one actually was the best, his mask was his identity and he was a great wrestler as well.

The OTR

Mr. wrestling ii who was actually Dean Smith.  Not many people know that.

Pigasaurus

"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

riccoar

Quote from: Jones3744 on January 11, 2018, 08:48:20 am
Or how about Stagger Lee AKA The Junkyard Dog
"I was standing on the corner"
Thread over.

thebignasty

Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

husker71

If you go to Wiki and type in Doctor X wrestler it is hard to believe that very many masked men had a better career than him.  Also went by the name the Destroyer.  Many championships and wrestled around the world and was very popular in Japan.

TheRazorback500

Mil Mascaras helped found the lucha libre movement out of Mexico back in the 60s. He was a predecessor to the masked wrestlers we know of today.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Thatdudeman

No mention of Kane? Dude played the mask perfectly

Hogwop

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on January 13, 2018, 07:38:25 pm
Mr. wrestling ii who was actually Dean Smith.  Not many people know that.

I knew you would say this
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

TomasPistola

Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Hogwop

Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.

Swestwill66

Swestwill66

Wrestling question. Sting and The Warrior started their careers as a tag team in Tulsa. What were they called ?

Hogwop

Quote from: Swestwill66 on February 28, 2018, 06:22:25 pm
Wrestling question. Sting and The Warrior started their careers as a tag team in Tulsa. What were they called ?

The Blade Runners, I think?
Pigga what?!

Hogwop

Quote from: Thatdudeman on February 28, 2018, 03:53:49 pm
No mention of Kane? Dude played the mask perfectly

I like how your one and only post on Hogville is in the Wrasslin' Forum
Pigga what?!

Swestwill66

Hogwop

Quote from: Swestwill66 on February 28, 2018, 06:31:22 pm
I believe you are correct.

I'm a total wrasslin' dork, man.  Sometimes I hate it, but I can't help it.

Apparently they were the Freedom Fighters managed by Dutch Mantel in Memphis at one point.
Pigga what?!

Swestwill66

When I was a kid, the only wrestling I got to watch was out of Shreveport and Dallas. That was back in the day when you only got 3 channels if you lived in the country. I had no idea who Hulk Hogan was. Kerry Von Erich,Junk yard dog, " Cowboy " Bill Watts, Jake the snake and every now and then the nature boy.

As a side note, when I'm reading Delta's posts I picture Dick Murdoch!

Thatdudeman

Quote from: Hogwop on February 28, 2018, 06:29:42 pm
I like how your one and only post on Hogville is in the Wrasslin' Forum
well it's a pain in the rear to post. Have to do literally 5 verification steps per post

Hogwop

Quote from: Thatdudeman on March 01, 2018, 12:29:33 am
well it's a pain in the rear to post. Have to do literally 5 verification steps per post
Post more, man. That stuff goes away pretty quickly, after like 10 or 20 posts I think?

Pigga what?!

Thatdudeman

Quote from: Hogwop on March 01, 2018, 03:37:41 am

Post more, man. That stuff goes away pretty quickly, after like 10 or 20 posts I think?

Its a work in progress

EastexHawg

Quote from: Swestwill66 on February 28, 2018, 06:46:07 pm
When I was a kid, the only wrestling I got to watch was out of Shreveport and Dallas. That was back in the day when you only got 3 channels if you lived in the country. I had no idea who Hulk Hogan was. Kerry Von Erich,Junk yard dog, " Cowboy " Bill Watts, Jake the snake and every now and then the nature boy.

As a side note, when I'm reading Delta's posts I picture Dick Murdoch!

The Golden Superhawk was a masked wrestler.  His submission move was to pin his opponent on the mat, then jump into the air and land with his knee in the guy's crotch.  We made a ring in a friend's back yard, but we made it a rule that no one was allowed to try that one.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

diveplayon4thn20

Mr. Olympia was pretty good. The Assassinq another. As far as dominance, Mr. Wrestling 3 was unstoppable for a period. Not sure what happened to him, he showed up out of nowhere, dominated the Midsouth for awhile, then I lost track of him. Dont know if he moved to a different territory and unmasked to become another character, but boy he was a force to be reckoned with. There was a wrestling magazine i used to get when I was a kid that had a top 20 ranking and Mr. Wfestling 3 was #1 for a long time.

TNhogfan

Quote from: diveplayon4thn20 on December 20, 2018, 12:20:46 pm
Mr. Olympia was pretty good. The Assassinq another. As far as dominance, Mr. Wrestling 3 was unstoppable for a period. Not sure what happened to him, he showed up out of nowhere, dominated the Midsouth for awhile, then I lost track of him. Dont know if he moved to a different territory and unmasked to become another character, but boy he was a force to be reckoned with. There was a wrestling magazine i used to get when I was a kid that had a top 20 ranking and Mr. Wfestling 3 was #1 for a long time.
Wrestling 3 in Mid-South was Hercules Hernandez in other territories including WWF.  I think his real name was Ray Fernandez.

TNhogfan

Quote from: husker71 on January 18, 2018, 07:36:53 am
If you go to Wiki and type in Doctor X wrestler it is hard to believe that very many masked men had a better career than him.  Also went by the name the Destroyer.  Many championships and wrestled around the world and was very popular in Japan.
Dick Beyer is who you are referring to as being Dr X or the Super Intelligent Destroyer.  He was very over in Japan and spent much of his career there and the AWA.   He at one time was also a coach or PE teacher.  The Dr X, who wrestled in the old McGuirk territory including AR in the '70s was Jim 'Red' Osborne.  He had been a partner to Beyer's Dr X in AWA as Double X or XX. He and Hodge had some great battles for Hodge's Jr title.

TNhogfan

The best masked men I ever saw would be:  The Assassins and The Spoiler.   Spoiler was  very athletic and could do unreal things in the ring for the time period of his prime.  He did not talk much as he usually had Gary Hart as his manager.  He wrestled in several territories, probably best remembered for taking one of Ole Anderson's belts with him to WWF in July 1984 when Vince bought out GCW and put WWF wrestlers in their place on WCW.
Assassin 2 as he was known in the 1960s and early '70s was outstanding in the ring and fantastic on the mike.  There is a clip from an old GCW show on youtube where Gordon Solie conducts a debate with him and Wrestling 2.   He is hilarious.  He also had great feuds with Rhodes and Grizzly Smith as well as selling out Ernie Ladd on Mid-South.  My favorite memory of the Assassins team would be from early 1967 when they were feuding with The Kentuckians (Jake 'Tiny' Smith & 'Big' Luke Brown) over McGuirk's tag belts.  They were scheduled for a big show in LR at Robinson Aud.  Wrestling at that time was on KTHV 11.  Their noon news show, Eye on Arkansas, had Smith and Brown on to promote the card that night.  While the interview was going on, The Assassins appear and destroy The Kentuckians.  They were a bloody mess and the news set was destroyed.   They played their role excellently and made it seem as if they were truly evil.

Hogwop

What about the Blue Blazer? I'm  mainly kidding but Owen Hart was great. I liked him more than Bret by a wide margin.
Pigga what?!