Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Successfully obtaining....

Started by Iwastherein1969, December 17, 2017, 09:53:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hawg Life on December 18, 2017, 11:26:17 am
We have more need on the defensive side of the ball, than offensive. GB is not a make or break player.

I never suggested he was a make or break player.  Go back and read my posts.  Maybe you'll see it.

At a minimum, the kid might be a stud athlete.  In fact, supposedly BB initially offered him as a LB, which is my whole freaking point!
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ChicoHog

Quote from: kp72204 on December 18, 2017, 12:18:50 am
Kiehl Frazier?
Woah!   that may be a good comparison and he never panned out as a highly recruited guy.  I hope not!

Kevin

People just go crazy during the recruiting period.  I going to
Let ccm and staff do their job. They have already got two
Arkansas kids that were not coming to Arkansas 

I guess to a lot of you if gb doesn't sign it does not matter.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

aloha_kid

Hawg Life

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 11:34:46 am
I never suggested he was a make or break player.  Go back and read my posts.  Maybe you'll see it.

At a minimum, the kid might be a stud athlete.  In fact, supposedly BB initially offered him as a LB, which is my whole freaking point!

I think his top offers are all as an athlete, not QB.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hawg Life on December 18, 2017, 11:40:38 am
I think his top offers are all as an athlete, not QB.

Exactly!  An instate kid with big boy SEC offers.  You give him a shot at QB, but if it doesn't work out, you move him to LB or wherever.  If he doesn't like it, he transfers.  Big deal.  We have transfers every year.

We aren't Bama with 5* LB's and S's lining up at our door, so that comparison is simply ridiculous.  At this stage, a program like UA needs to take any truly SEC caliber player it can get.  Maybe in a couple years we can afford to be more picky, but not today.  IMO.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 11:52:01 am
Exactly!  An instate kid with big boy SEC offers.  You give him a shot at QB, but if it doesn't work out, you move him to LB or wherever.  If he doesn't like it, he transfers.  Big deal.  We have transfers every year.

We aren't Bama with 5* LB's and S's lining up at our door, so that comparison is simply ridiculous.  At this stage, a program like UA needs to take any truly SEC caliber player it can get.  Maybe in a couple years we can afford to be more picky, but not today.  IMO.

You say that and then you get the claims of racism throw out there.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: IronMountainHog on December 17, 2017, 10:00:46 pm
I appreciate your optimism, but let's put the brakes on things a little. Gary Brashears, Peanut Adams, TaVarrous Jackson were all as big or bigger recruits and we saw how that turned out. Baker Mayfield was a walk-on and just took home a Heisman. I hope GB does great things, but let's cool our heels on SEC championship talk for the time being.
As good has he MIGHT be, he still can't solve the issues we've had on defense, special teams or the OL. Sorry, but to think this young man, no matter how good his skills, will single handily deliver us a SECw or SEC title is going way overboard. While I do hope we secure his signature, there are far too many holes to fill/issues to deal with to make such a claim.

BTW while Brashears was most certainly a very highly touted QB prospect, I don't necessarily recall Peanut Adams or Jackson being amongst the very elites of their classes. As an aside, from what I understand a HUGH problem with GB started and ended with his dad's continual interference with the coaching staff. Apparently Gary was very much a "head case".

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 18, 2017, 11:56:52 am
You say that and then you get the claims of racism throw out there.

Were there racist claims with Duwop?

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawg Life

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 11:52:01 am

You'd think he'd understand and compete to play QB, and accept if it didn't work out he'd play defense. Devin White is a good example of wanting to play RB, but playing LB. Also, to say he's the best dual threat QB to come out of Arkansas in a decade really shows the lack of talent we've produced in dual threat QB's. We would be his only SEC offer to play QB. If he weren't rated a 4* we wouldn't even be talking about him coming to Arkansas.

HogFoo

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 18, 2017, 09:45:31 am
make a thread then. but it's not true anyway. i talk about noland all the time; a large amount of posts in here are about him, even tho it's a bohanon thread.
well one is already committed to Arkansas and the other is going to Memphis.   It would be nice to have gotten both, but GB has been silent to Memphis for a while now. Which is very close to his home.  Good for him. Yes, it is probably Bielema's fault he isn't coming here, but then again, being able to play so close to home is a big selling point.  It has nothing to do with Morris tho.  And I won't be worried about him recruiting either. Guy is KILLing it on recruiting in just the last barely a week!  Now if he could have somehow swung GB as well, then he'd did some real magic.  But, didn't work from what I heard. we won't face him in the SEC. Maybe in a bowl.  Sucks we didn't get all the top kids from Arkansas, but we got 1 to flip, and another who possibly would have been at another SEC school to jump on board.  So it's not an entire loss.  The next couple of years tho, we have so much awesome talent we definitely need to get all of them.  And with more time to recruit all those guys, I think Morris will!   
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 12:06:26 pm
Is the sky blue

I honestly don't remember anything, but it's not something that would scare me away in the recruiting process.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hawg Life on December 18, 2017, 12:06:33 pm
You'd think he'd understand and compete to play QB, and accept if it didn't work out he'd play defense. Devin White is a good example of wanting to play RB, but playing LB. Also, to say he's the best dual threat QB to come out of Arkansas in a decade really shows the lack of talent we've produced in dual threat QB's. We would be his only SEC offer to play QB. If he weren't rated a 4* we wouldn't even be talking about him coming to Arkansas.

Don't buy your last sentence.  An instate kid with that offer sheet would get lots of discussion. 

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 12:10:20 pm
Don't buy your last sentence.  An instate kid with that offer sheet would get lots of discussion.

His point is that if we had an Arkansas QB with offers from Baylor, Indiana, and Memphis no one would care, which is a fair point.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Hawg Life

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 12:10:20 pm

It's not the offer sheet that's in question, it's the position he'd be playing. If offered to play QB he would've taken one of those top shelf offers instead of the dumpster fire that is Baylor, which it was rumored that he was a silent commit @ one time.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hawg Life on December 18, 2017, 12:46:18 pm
It's not the offer sheet that's in question, it's the position he'd be playing. If offered to play QB he would've taken one of those top shelf offers instead of the dumpster fire that is Baylor, which it was rumored that he was a silent commit @ one time.

Not if he wants to go to a place where he thinks he can play immediately, which has been the chatter about him for quite a while.  That almost certainly won't happen at any of those big boy programs where they sign a stud QB every class...sans maybe LSU.  And we don't actually know what program offered him at what position.

And again, any sane Hog fan would know that we aren't a big boy program these days.  That we can't afford to be that picky right now.  So of course most are excited with a kid who appears to have tons of potential.  Realizing that potential is an entirely different matter, of course, but that's why you sign and develop him.

It's also sane to assume that he's not, nor is anyone else we'd sign, some savior of the program.  Just foolish.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 12:56:42 pm
Not if he wants to go to a place where he thinks he can play immediately, which has been the chatter about him for quite a while.  That almost certainly won't happen at any of those big boy programs where they sign a stud QB every class...sans maybe LSU.  And we don't actually know what program offered him at what position.

And again, any sane Hog fan would know that we aren't a big boy program these days.  That we can't afford to be that picky right now.  So of course most are excited with a kid who appears to have tons of potential.  Realizing that potential is an entirely different matter, of course, but that's why you sign and develop him.

It's also sane to assume that he's not, nor is anyone else we'd sign, some savior of the program.  Just foolish.

EVERY SEC team signs a 4* QB every year.

Pudgepork

Quote from: Hawg Life on December 18, 2017, 01:02:13 pm

Except LSU. And they catching some heat because they dont

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hawg Life on December 18, 2017, 01:02:13 pm

Yes, that's what I said...except LSU and often times UA.

hogsanity

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 12:56:42 pm

would there be this buzz around him if he lived in Tupelo, MS, or Some town in Eastern LA or the middle of TN? Would he still be a "must get"?

Successfully obtaining the best X number of players that you have scholarships available for is the key. If he is one of those, great.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 01:15:28 pm
would there be this buzz around him if he lived in Tupelo, MS, or Some town in Eastern LA or the middle of TN? Would he still be a "must get"?

Successfully obtaining the best X number of players that you have scholarships available for is the key. If he is one of those, great.

You can't have it both ways.  You can't constantly start thread after thread claiming how the program is 2nd tier and that we can't recruit well enough, then go all ho-hum on an instate kid with tons of SEC offers.  QB or not. 

KCRazorbackfan

Quote from: 870hogfan on December 17, 2017, 10:00:01 pm
So, a freshman from a small school in Arkansas is the savior?

Why not?  Every so often someone comes along that plays beyond their years; GB could be that person. 
Life took me to Central Florida, but I'll always be a Razorback.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 01:30:43 pm
You can't have it both ways.  You can't constantly start thread after thread claiming how the program is 2nd tier and that we can't recruit well enough, then go all ho-hum on an instate kid with tons of SEC offers.  QB or not.

Not sure he has commitable SEC offers.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

ricepig

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 18, 2017, 01:40:19 pm
Not sure he has commitable SEC offers.

We don't know either way, but yes, this is usually the first line of defense when attempting to discredit a kid.

greenie

Just curious, how does Gerry Bohanon's HS stats compare to Ty Storey's?  If I remember correctly, Storey was also a low 4* recruit with great HS stats and championships.  He also had "offers" from Alabama and Auburn. 

My point is, no one really knows how a recruit is going to pan out just based on *'s and high school play (Ricky Towne was a 5*).   GB has narrowed it down to 4 schools...these schools are likely the 4 best options that he really ever had...and I'm basing that on the schools that invited him on an official visit and on who made his list.

I hope GB comes to Arkansas and lights it up, but it's premature to crown him the best dual-threat QB to ever come out of Arkansas.  Regardless, it would be nice to see him compete in Morris' fast-pace system.

Hawg Life

Quote from: ricepig on December 18, 2017, 01:42:16 pm
He does from us!

True, but I definitely like the potential of Grant Gunnell more than any current QB including Bohanon.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hawg Life on December 18, 2017, 01:57:35 pm
True, but I definitely like the potential of Grant Gunnell more than any current QB including Bohanon.

Has Grant signed with us?

Hawg Life

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HogFoo on December 18, 2017, 12:08:44 pm
well one is already committed to Arkansas and the other is going to Memphis.   It would be nice to have gotten both, but GB has been silent to Memphis for a while now. Which is very close to his home.  Good for him. Yes, it is probably Bielema's fault he isn't coming here, but then again, being able to play so close to home is a big selling point.  It has nothing to do with Morris tho.  And I won't be worried about him recruiting either. Guy is KILLing it on recruiting in just the last barely a week!  Now if he could have somehow swung GB as well, then he'd did some real magic.  But, didn't work from what I heard. we won't face him in the SEC. Maybe in a bowl.  Sucks we didn't get all the top kids from Arkansas, but we got 1 to flip, and another who possibly would have been at another SEC school to jump on board.  So it's not an entire loss.  The next couple of years tho, we have so much awesome talent we definitely need to get all of them.  And with more time to recruit all those guys, I think Morris will!
i know, i keep saying he is going to Memphis. And I am a big fan of Norvell's, I wish Gerry well. It's where I want him to go if we can't have him. And, yeah, it's Bert's fault.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Bubba's Bruisers

Peter Porker

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 01:47:09 pm
We don't know either way, but yes, this is usually the first line of defense when attempting to discredit a kid.

Or wondering why there's only one SEC team in his final 4 and why there lower tier Power 5 teams in it.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 18, 2017, 02:12:18 pm
Or wondering why there's only one SEC team in his final 4 and why there lower tier Power 5 teams in it.

Such has already been surmised in this thread.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 18, 2017, 02:12:18 pm
quit negging in the recruiting forum.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hogsanity

I am not ho hum on him. I am asking, same kid playing out of state, would people be saying he was the key to the class?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 02:22:40 pm
I am not ho hum on him. I am asking, same kid playing out of state, would people be saying he was the key to the class?

Of course not.  The point is that instaters should be the lowest hanging fruit available.  It's fricking hard enough as it is to recruit SEC talent to Fayetteville, which you and I have reminded the board over and over and over again.  If you can't get the best from inside your own state, then it's real trouble.  Especially in a year like this, when you're in a coaching transition and many of the commits you do have seemingly aren't exactly committed. 

If we were in Alabama, then even an instater isn't that big of a deal, because Bama recruits nationally anyway.  They're Bama.  We ain't.

Now, and as I've said before, I'm not arguing for him to be a QB.  I'm arguing for him to be a football player.  If that's a stud QB, great, but if it's a stud LB, that's great too.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Life on December 18, 2017, 01:57:35 pm

Who is currently committed for 2019 to another school, but we may get another chance.

MrKlem10

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 11:23:35 am
They are both GREAT HS QB's playing against AR HS defenses. That is much different than being a great QB.

I would go out on a limb to say that Noland at Greenwood has a seen a little better comp than G-Bo at Earle.    He is a great athlete, no doubt.   But he might not be the better qb.   

With proper coaching that last Greenwood QB turned out alright.   

Hawg Life

Quote from: ricepig on December 18, 2017, 02:33:57 pm
Who is currently committed for 2019 to another school, but we may get another chance.

A coaching change has changed our chances of signing him. I think we'll be fine @ QB,

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Life on December 18, 2017, 02:56:54 pm
A coaching change has changed our chances of signing him. I think we'll be fine @ QB,

Yeah, they've gone from 0 to better than 0. As to QB, I'm always worried.

Hawg Life

Quote from: ricepig on December 18, 2017, 03:05:05 pm
Yeah, they've gone from 0 to better than 0. As to QB, I'm always worried.

QB has rarely been a problem, and I don't think it will with our current staff. Our new offense is very QB friendly, and we should have great QB's year in year out.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 17, 2017, 10:44:31 pm
Letting top rated in state guys like K.J. hill or Josh Frazier go to other power 5 schools is not the recipe for success for Arkansas. I know if Bohanon goes to Baylor the narrative will be a loud and resounding "we're gonna be just fine" just like we always heard with Bielema when anything negative came up...but at some point we are gonna have to have some recruiters as coaches that keep these guys in state.
Well hopefully with CCM and when he gets his complete staff filled we will. Guys, I agree that we must try to lock up the state when it comes to our top recruits. However, it is going to take some time, at least a year, in order for us to have a better chance of doing so. Morris and the other staff members who're recruiting have in many cases only had a couple of weeks to try and establish relationships/trust with Arkansas players. However, from what I've observed anyone we lose in this class won't be going because of the lack of effort by this current group on the Hill.

jkstock04

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on December 18, 2017, 05:40:38 pm
Well hopefully with CCM and when he gets his complete staff filled we will. Guys, I agree that we must try to lock up the state when it comes to our top recruits. However, it is going to take some time, at least a year, in order for us to have a better chance of doing so. Morris and the other staff members who're recruiting have in many cases only had a couple of weeks to try and establish relationships/trust with Arkansas players. However, from what I've observed anyone we lose in this class won't be going because of the lack of effort by this current group on the Hill.
I don't disagree with any of this. 2-3 weeks worth of scramble style recruiting you can't judge negativity on this staff in my opinion.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 02:22:40 pm
No. I would counter with this and ask...when has it been a good or successful strategy for Arkansas to let in state D1 football prospects go play elsewhere? Is letting a top ranked Arkansas recruit go elsewhere a recipe for success?

I'm not saying Bohanon is the "savior of the program" like you are loudly putting out there for anyone wanting to see him commit here. I think it's more so about perception of the program. Not good. If I was recruiting against us I would point to this..."see, even guys within their own state don't want to play for them."
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 18, 2017, 06:01:37 pm
No. I would counter with this and ask...when has it been a good or successful strategy for Arkansas to let in state D1 football prospects go play elsewhere? Is letting a top ranked Arkansas recruit go elsewhere a recipe for success?

I'm not saying Bohanon is the "savior of the program" like you are loudly putting out there for anyone wanting to see him commit here. I think it's more so about perception of the program. Not good. If I was recruiting against us I would point to this..."see, even guys within their own state don't want to play for them."

Depends on the player and his position. If the best player in AR is a RB, and the Hogs can get a better ( bigger/faster/etc ) RB from out of state, is it really a big deal to let the Ar kid go, or at least not recruit him as hard?

Now, if he is a 250LB MLB that runs like a RB, can stop the run but cover a receiver when needed, yea they would be plumb dumb t let that kid go.

Pig in the Pokey

preach!

JaxFlaRazorback

Quote from: 870hogfan on December 17, 2017, 10:00:01 pm
....from a small school in Arkansas....

Smackover: Bobby, Tommy, and Bill Burnett - enough said.

hogsanity

Quote from: JaxFlaRazorback on December 19, 2017, 11:45:00 am
Smackover: Bobby, Tommy, and Bill Burnett - enough said.

and that was what like 60 years ago?