DE - jr. Jamario Bell 6'5" 255
SLB - sr. Randy Ramsey 6'4" 235
MLB - jr. De'Jon Harris 6'0" 245
WLB - sr. Dre Greenlaw 6'0" 230
LCB - jr. Ryan Pulley 5'11" 195
SS - sr. Santos Ramirez 6'2" 210
FS - so. Kamren Curl 6'1" 200
RCB - so. Chevin Calloway 5'10" 190

Feel free to add, subtract, or move any player. I feel Curl was out of position at CB, and is a more natural safety. I also would not be shocked if Froholdt is moved back to defensive tackle, and junior Jalen Merrick starts at LG. I also feel if Bell can get healthy and stay healthy, he has the talent to be a starting SEC defensive end, and be a good one! I am also not convinced that Jackson will start at LT.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Mr. Porkleone

Any offense without TJ Hammonds starting is wrong

HF#1

Big assumption that Cole will start at QB...
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

sickboy

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on December 15, 2017, 11:00:34 am
Any offense without TJ Hammonds starting is wrong

You'd start Hammonds over Whaley? I don't see that. Whaley is our best back.

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

311Hog

lots of SRs on that list will be critical they buy in quickly.
we also know that 5 wide will happen alot so Hammonds will be on the field alot probably with Whaley.

southeasthog

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 11:06:49 am
Let's see your starters.

sickboy

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 11:06:49 am

I think Cole Kelley will actually thrive in this system. The NFL and NCAAA aren't analogous, they're different games, but if you go watch what Sean McVay is doing with Jared Golf and Todd Gurley, the difference is night and day from last year with what Jeff Fisher did with those same players. Point being, a coach can make or break a player. I think Kelley has the potential to be a stud in this system.

Mr.Gruntastic

Is the new DC going back to a 4-3 defense instead of the 3-4??

Johnny Bobo

Derrick Munson is going to be 220-225 lbs by next year, and is going to be a cannon ball from any LB position

BR

Quote from: Mr.Gruntastic on December 15, 2017, 11:16:41 am
No a 3-3-5, lol..........          WHO KNOWS we don't have a DC yet to know his system
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Mr.Gruntastic

Looks like we're returning 18 starters from last year. 

311Hog

Quote from: sickboy on December 15, 2017, 11:15:24 am
I think Cole Kelley will actually thrive in this system. The NFL and NCAAA aren't analogous, they're different games, but if you go watch what Sean McVay is doing with Jared Golf and Todd Gurley, the difference is night and day from last year with what Jeff Fisher did with those same players. Point being, a coach can make or break a player. I think Kelley has the potential to be a stud in this system.

i agree i think if Cole buys in and puts in the work he will likely start i am more worried about his head than his playing ability.

HillBillyHogfan

Quote from: sickboy on December 15, 2017, 11:10:28 am

Both start. Drop the TE and add Hammond's in the slot as the 4th WR. That's a more accurate Morris/Craddock starting lineup. (although he does list a TE in SMU's lineup)
Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

HillBillyHogfan

Quote from: Mr.Gruntastic on December 15, 2017, 11:16:41 am

SMU ran a 4-2-5 last year
Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

MountainHomeHogger

Whaley may start games, but I don't see him thriving in this system.  Hammonds and Hayden would be the 2 I would feature. But, I'm not the coach so this is all my opinion.

redleg

Depth will be a key to Arkansas' success in 2018 and the future.
Who will back up Kelley? I can see Ty Storey transferring. That leaves Hyatt, Noland, and hopefully Bohanon.
At RB, I would look for a strong rotation between one and two back sets with Whaley, Maleek Williams, Hayden, and Hammonds. Hayden and Hammonds could end up being major game-changers for the Hogs!
I think we will see several receivers, but there will be a core unit consisting of Cornelius, Jones, Martin, Nance, and Stewart. But others will get involved, to include Barnes, Koilan Jackson, Boateng, Warren, and a couple of freshmen (Woods).
At TE I look for Patton to thrive, but I think Cantrell will be a rock solid blocking TE. My hope is that O'Grady will continue to develop, and hopefully Gragg will eventually come into his own, because so far he has done zero.
The O-Line is in flux. I think the best bets to start right now are Rogers at center, and Wallace at RT. Gibson may not have the pulling speed to start, Froholdt might end up back at DT, and I am just not 100% sold on Jackson at LT right now. Clary, with improved strength, might earn a guard spot. I will not be surprised if Merrick, Heinrich, Clenin, or Wagner become starters as well.
On defense, I think the Hogs look pretty good on the D-Line. Agim is set up to become an All-SEC player, Bell will hopefully turn things around, and Capps and Smith look strong inside. Watts, Marshall, and hopefully Gooden should shore up the tackle positions (this will be even more true if Froholdt moves back to defense). Behind Agim and Bell, look for Richardson, Guidry and Hall, but Morris will need to sign a couple more DEs.
Linebackers seem to abound on the roster, but behind the starters are there any with real talent? Dee Walker and Derrick Munson might be the heir-apparents to the WLB position behind Greenlaw. Look for Grant Morgan, Giovanni LaFrance, and maybe even Bumper Pool behind Harris at MLB. Ramsey has great size and good speed at SLB, but behind him is a big question mark. Maybe Hayden Henry or Alexy Jean-Baptiste will provide depth, I just don't know.
The secondary does actually have some talent and speed, I just don't think the previous staff got it on the field, nor did they coach them properly (but what do I know, I'm not a football coach!). Pulley will return from his injury and will start. I see Curl moving to FS and competing with Montaric Brown for the starting job there. Calloway is the next best CB on the team after Pulley. Ramirez is the journeyman at SS. Behind Pulley and Calloway I see Tutt, Curtis, McClellion, and LaDarrius Bishop. At safety behind Ramirez and Curl/Brown ... Micah Smith, Edwards, Hernandez, and Sean Michael Flanagan.

HF#1

Quote from: southeasthog on December 15, 2017, 11:13:43 am
Let’s see your starters.

Why? All I'm saying is that it is a big assumption to suggest Cole Kelley will be the starting QB. It's a new staff, you have to assume players are starting with a clean slate. This isn't Bielema, where by default the next guy (playing favorites) in line is up. If we get Bohannon, I figure he has as good of a shot as anyone to win the job. Hyatt could come in and win the job.

If I was creating a list like that, I'd leave QB blank.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

It's possible that he thrives but I wouldn't just hand him the job. He will have competition. Whether it's Hyatt, Bohannon or even Storey.

IronHog

I look for Bell, Gragg, and Barnes to see the field a ton

Why B.B. couldn't get his athletes on the field??????
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 11:30:36 am
Why? All I'm saying is that it is a big assumption to suggest Cole Kelley will be the starting QB. It's a new staff, you have to assume players are starting with a clean slate. This isn't Bielema, where by default the next guy (playing favorites) in line is up. If we get Bohannon, I figure he has as good of a shot as anyone to win the job. Hyatt could come in and win the job.

If I was creating a list like that, I'd leave QB blank.

Kelly is a legit SEC player entering his 3rd year in college

Younger player gonna hafta pack a lunch barring injury

HF#1

Quote from: IronHog on December 15, 2017, 11:35:43 am

Kelly is a legit SEC player entering his 3rd year in college

He has experience but he also has a new playbook. I'll also add that he would need to keep his nose clean, literally.

RebelW

CJ O'Grady will thrive in CM scheme. Ecspecially in Red Zone

redleg

If I left it blank then what would be the point of this thread? It's suppose to be fun.
Kelley has the most playing experience among the returning QBs. Kelley can run. Kelley has the strongest arm of any of the QBs. Making assumptions about Bohanon, who hasn't even committed yet, is yet another fan who always wants the highly rated freshman signee on the field regardless of what the team has returning. If Morris can redshirt Bohanon and Noland, he should.
If junior Ty Storey doesn't earn the starting job in the spring, look for him to transfer.

HF#1

Quote from: redleg on December 15, 2017, 11:38:52 am
If I left it blank then what would be the point of this thread? It's suppose to be fun.
Kelley has the most playing experience among the returning QBs. Kelley can run. Kelley has the strongest arm of any of the QBs. Making assumptions about Bohanon, who hasn't even committed yet, is yet another fan who always wants the highly rated freshman signee on the field regardless of what the team has returning. If Morris can redshirt Bohanon and Noland, he should.
If junior Ty Storey doesn't earn the starting job in the spring, look for him to transfer.

Kelley cannot run, he can bumble... He.is.not.a.running.qb

I'll just say it is obvious that you guys are used to Bielema's way of handing the job to his next favorite guy. It won't be that way with Morris. Kelley will have to earn it.

colbs

I tend to disagree about Curl.  He seemed to be a great fit at CB.

dbh

I just have a feeling that next year's lineup will look A LOT different from this year.  Emphasis will be speed and open space.  So, I think we'll see a ton of Jones, Hammonds, Barnes, and Hayden.  And whichever QB does the best job of getting it out of his hands to the playmakers will start.  Should be interesting and exciting.

colbs

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 11:39:23 am
His system doesn't have to have a running QB.  His QB at SMU wasn't much of a run threat.

HF#1

Quote from: colbs on December 15, 2017, 11:42:03 am
His system doesn't have to have a running QB.  His QB at SMU wasn't much of a run threat.

Not saying it is. Just tired of seeing the statement "Kelley can run". He is a great QB sneak guy, yes.

IronHog

I'll just say it is obvious that you guys are used to Bielema's way of handing the job to his next favorite guy. It won't be that way with Morris. Kelley will have to earn it.

Vs the 7a west QBs that were just kinda anointed?

Kelly is a big dude with a big arm and lots of moxie.  He'll be tough to beat out for a frosh..... which is a good thing

zumhog

Quote from: sickboy on December 15, 2017, 11:10:28 am
I disagree. Hammonds is better than Whaley in this system. I'm also thinking Maleek Williams comes on strong in this system. And then you got Hayden too. And then Whaley.

thebignasty

Quote from: RebelW on December 15, 2017, 11:38:37 am
CJ O'Grady will thrive in CM scheme. Ecspecially in Red Zone

Wouldn't surprise me to see him used as a real big receiver some, particularly red zone type plays.

Iwastherein1969

Gerry Bohanon II needs to start every down he's physically able to perform. This kid is kryptonite to Nick Saban type defenses. Its just that simple.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: MountainHomeHogger on December 15, 2017, 11:21:41 am
Whaley may start games, but I don't see him thriving in this system.  Hammonds and Hayden would be the 2 I would feature. But, I'm not the coach so this is all my opinion.
Have to disagree...the reason for spreading the field is to run behind the guards and center up through the A gap because the 'backers are having to cover receivers. Whaley would do super in this system.

thebignasty

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 15, 2017, 08:45:59 pm
Gerry Bohanon II needs to start every down he's physically able to perform. This kid is kryptonite to Nick Saban type defenses. Its just that simple.

Just out of curiosity... Have you ever seen the kid play? Like once?

Just hard to anoint a guy as all time starter before he's even... you know. committed? Much less on campus, practicing, etc.

I hope he's a killer qb for us, but I think this is putting the cart before the horse.

Piggfoot

I'm still not sold on Hammonds. I don't see any player on the list except maybe Whaley that can run between the tackles. Hammonds had a tendency like Wingo to bounce outside. On his last several runs teams had figured that out. If he can catch a pass he may work out in the slot.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: thebignasty on December 15, 2017, 08:51:13 pm
Just out of curiosity... Have you ever seen the kid play? Like once?

Just hard to anoint a guy as all time starter before he's even... you know. committed? Much less on campus, practicing, etc.

I hope he's a killer qb for us, but I think this is putting the cart before the horse.
All I know is this...we have had our best years (in the modern era, in other words, when African Americans were allowed to play) when we have had mobile quarterbacks...Calcagni (recruited as a RB by JFB), Quinn Grovey, 2 SWC championships back to back and Matt Jones (a QB who literally won games by himself because we had little to no talent on the offensive side of the ball....I have seen film on the kid from Earle, AR and I think he has the right stuff to kick ass and take names on the offensive side of the ball. You must be a Greenwood Greenie ?  We've gone through this before with the Greenie's getting pissed about Mallett starting ahead of their homeboy.

thebignasty

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 15, 2017, 09:12:07 pm
All I know is this...we have had our best years (in the modern era, in other words, when African Americans were allowed to play) when we have had mobile quarterbacks...Calcagni (recruited as a RB by JFB), Quinn Grovey, 2 SWC championships back to back and Matt Jones (a QB who literally won games by himself because we had little to no talent on the offensive side of the ball....I have seen film on the kid from Earle, AR and I think he has the right stuff to kick ass and take names on the offensive side of the ball. You must be a Greenwood Greenie ?  We've gone through this before with the Greenie's getting pissed about Mallett starting ahead of their homeboy.

Nope. Mallett was unequivocally a better qb here than Tyler Wilson.

I'm just not in to anointing kids starter for life before he's ever set foot on campus.

And again-nothing would tickle me more than for him to get up here and kick ass.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: thebignasty on December 15, 2017, 09:24:16 pm
Nope. Mallett was unequivocally a better qb here than Tyler Wilson.

I'm just not in to anointing kids starter for life before he's ever set foot on campus.

And again-nothing would tickle me more than for him to get up here and kick ass.
the water feels good and the kool-aid taste just right....come on man, jump in and take a drink, it will do a body good

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 15, 2017, 09:12:07 pm

Little to no talent on offense? Cedric Cobbs had issues but lack of talent was NOT one of them.

Fred Talley never played in the League, but he was a dang fine college player. Just ask Auburn..

Shawn Andrews made the Pro Bowl three times, top half of the 1st round pick. When that '01 team took off, Lazy Bones Matt Jones got all the credit, but the surge began when Andrews was inserted in the lineup at RT.

Big Shawn played full time, Jones was a part timer at QB that year.

Jason Peters, even though Hooten played him out of position at TE, had no talent? Future NFL Hall Of Famer right there.

Richard Smith was a solid WR, along with George Wilson who like Peters was played out of position, but lasted several years in the NFL.

Mark Pierce was almost as talented as Peyton Hillis, but had issues.

Boo Williams played in the NFL off that team also.

The lack of coaching was an issue, but lack of talent on offense was not a problem in Jones' first two years at least.

His SR year, there was a dropoff but the idea that any player wins football games by himself, playing hully-gully, run around and throw up a prayer like Matt Jones is silly!
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: SooieGeneris on December 15, 2017, 09:39:06 pm
Little to no talent on offense? Cedric Cobbs had issues but lack of talent was NOT one of them.

Fred Talley never played in the League, but he was a dang fine college player. Just ask Auburn..

Shawn Andrews made the Pro Bowl three times, top half of the 1st round pick. When that '01 team took off, Lazy Bones Matt Jones got all the credit, but the surge began when Andrews was inserted in the lineup at RT.

Big Shawn played full time, Jones was a part timer at QB that year.

Jason Peters, even though Hooten played him out of position at TE, had no talent? Future NFL Hall Of Famer right there.

Richard Smith was a solid WR, along with George Wilson who like Peters was played out of position, but lasted several years in the NFL.

Mark Pierce was almost as talented as Peyton Hillis, but had issues.

Boo Williams played in the NFL off that team also.

The lack of coaching was an issue, but lack of talent on offense was not a problem in Jones' first two years at least.

His SR year, there was a dropoff but the idea that any player wins football games by himself, playing hully-gully, run around and throw up a prayer like Matt Jones is silly!
Richard Smith and George Wilson solid ?  Laughable. You cherry pick different games when someone other than Matt played well. Riddle me this, Mr. Knowitall, take #9 off the Arkansas squad for the years he spent on the Hill, and tell me, how many games do we win ?  I can unequivocally confirm this about Matt. The Tide fans referred to him as Superman. I used to listen to Finebaum on Sirius when I lived in south Louisiana (Thibodaux) and the Tide callers hated Matt. Enough said.

IronHog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 15, 2017, 09:47:01 pm
Richard Smith and George Wilson solid ?  Laughable. You cherry pick different games when someone other than Matt played well. Riddle me this, Mr. Knowitall, take #9 off the Arkansas squad for the years he spent on the Hill, and tell me, how many games do we win ?  I can unequivocally confirm this about Matt. The Tide fans referred to him as Superman. I used to listen to Finebaum on Sirius when I lived in south Louisiana (Thibodaux) and the Tide callers hated Matt. Enough said.

Matt Jones coulda won the Heisman but had the work ethic of a beach bum

He'd pull some great plays out of nowhere but couldn't perform a simple 5 step drop.  NFL was foolish to draft him so high

lakecityhog

I think we may play the 4-2-5 look on D pretty often and run more of a 3 tackle look on the front. Maybe against Auburn and LSU we go back to 3 LB's for better run support.

DE-Agim/Ramsey/Roesler(I hope!) play this position as a "rush end"
DT-Capps/Watts/Guidry
DT-Marshall/Watts
DE- Smith/Porter/Hall Play this position as a "bigger" end to help with the run.

We can always bring in a better rusher in certain 3rd down situations. Stop the run on 1st and 2nd down and we have a better chance on 3rd and medium/long.

On O I think many have forgotten about Maleek Williams, he might be the A gap beast that we really need. I would not be shocked to see a Morris recruit get playing time at receiver if the current guys drop a few!

With our high numbers at WR, LB and DB we could see a few guys suddenly get "homesick". I would also bet that the roster next year will show CB and S, they really are different positions!

thebignasty

Quote from: IronHog on December 15, 2017, 09:56:52 pm

Matt Jones coulda won the Heisman but had the work ethic of a beach bum

He'd pull some great plays out of nowhere but couldn't perform a simple 5 step drop.  NFL was foolish to draft him so high

You're right, but how many 6'6" 240lb dudes do you see running 4.4 and jumping 40" verticals.  I get why they gambled.  Dude was a freaking unicorn.

SSFrazorback

So far two people in this thread have suggested Hjalte Froholdt move to DE. The idea of that is crazy to me. He is our best OL by far.
Just a quick list of accomplishments:
Junior (2017)
• Outland Trophy Watch List
• Coaches All-SEC third team
• Phil Steele All-America third team
• Phil Steele All-SEC first team
• Lindy's Sports All-SEC third team

thebignasty

Quote from: SSFrazorback on December 15, 2017, 10:06:17 pm
So far two people in this thread have suggested Hjalte Froholdt move to DE. The idea of that is crazy to me. He is our best OL by far.
Just a quick list of accomplishments:
Junior (2017)
• Outland Trophy Watch List
• Coaches All-SEC third team
• Phil Steele All-America third team
• Phil Steele All-SEC first team
• Lindy's Sports All-SEC third team

Hjalte is going to play offensive line next year.

IronHog

Quote from: thebignasty on December 15, 2017, 10:02:29 pm
You're right, but how many 6'6" 240lb dudes do you see running 4.4 and jumping 40" verticals.  I get why they gambled.  Dude was a freaking unicorn.

Guy was a freak.  So was Andrews and Peters

Only one out of the three had the heart to be a HOF though

IronHog

Quote from: thebignasty on December 15, 2017, 10:09:54 pm
Hjalte is going to play offensive line next year.

He and Gibson should be good guards with a real OL coach

cjack

McVay is exactly why I wanted a new coach like Norvell, but the more I learn about Morris the more I feel like he can do the same thing.  Older, accomplished coaches that have "been there" doesn't mean they're better than an unproven guy.  I never wanted a big name coach that's been everywhere else.

Innovation is the key to offense, IMO, and being willing to adapt to the talent you have is not very common in older coaches that have being doing things their way for 30 years. 

I'm excited we are going in a different direction. I'm confident the most talented players will be on the field and getting the most opportunities to score.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

870rzrback

THIS. So tired of hearing he is a running QB. Just because Bert thought it was a good idea doesn't mean hes a running QB. And Morris doesn't need a running QB to run his offense. He's a "high school coach", meaning he is used to playing the cards he's dealt because you don't get to recruit on high school. He will play the best QB next year no matter what type of QB it is.