Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yurachek Comments on our DC Search

Started by WilsonHog, December 14, 2017, 05:38:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

"I think Chad Morris really wants to take his time on the defensive side of the ball to hire a great DC, and then work with that DC to hire a defensive staff."

There you have it.

elksnort

Why hurry?

Glad he is taking his time.

Thus more branding, diet coke, taxation and revisionist carpet bagger threads.

LawyerHog50

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on December 14, 2017, 05:38:49 pm
"I think Chad Morris really wants to take his time on the defensive side of the ball to hire a great DC, and then work with that DC to hire a defensive staff."

There you have it.

Code for, "Chad's targets have bowl games to coach. We are waiting until they are done. Be patient."
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

LZH

Quote from: elksnort on December 14, 2017, 05:40:27 pm
Why hurry?

Thank God, I was about to get bored there for a while.

jgphillips3

I know everyone hopes for Venables, but even if it wasn't him, it seems like we are in on a lot of top 20 type defensive minds.  That will be a most welcome change.  I still feel like the real reason the 2015 defense looked little to nothing like 2014 had less to do with talent leaving (which did hurt) than it did with Randy Shannon leaving.  It was just like HDN and the clown show trying to run the "Wildhog" without Malzahn; it took them 8 games to figure out the jet motion had to be fast.  If we can land a top 20 DC, much less a top 10 DC like Venables, we will be better in the fall and could, with good recruiting, be dang competitive in three years.

Hopeful Hog

Why hurry?

Ok I'll play devil's advocate. If it's someone like Chavis, in other words someone who is a good x's and o's guy but not a recruiter, then waiting isn't a big deal but if it's someone like Venables, someone who is a top flight recruiter, then waiting is hurting recruiting.

I'm not saying he should hurry, just throwing out some food for thought.

WaltonCollege

a0ashle

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on December 14, 2017, 05:41:31 pm
Code for, "Chad's targets have bowl games to coach. We are waiting until they are done. Be patient."

OMG, no it isn't. "We are waiting until coach is done with bowl games" really code for "I really want Venables and I don't care what you say, <fingers in ears> na na na na na!"

P.s. I wanted Venables for HC, so know I definitely want him as DC, but pulling a playoff team's DC to a questionably lateral move is unprecedented and far fetched.

bighogdaddy

I think it has more to do with Coaches not wanting to leave their job right before the early signing period.

OneLardAlmighty

Bowl games do not even keep head coaches from changing teams.  So they certainly would not prevent assistant coaches from changing teams, unless maybe it's the playoffs.  So, either a) it really is Venables and we're waiting it out (doubtful), or b) He doesn't have his guy yet, and he's too busy recruiting between now and the 20th to conduct a full-on search. 

a0ashle

Quote from: bighogdaddy on December 14, 2017, 06:00:22 pm
I think it has more to do with Coaches not wanting to leave their job right before the early signing period.

Making too much sense here.

Bacons Rebellion

Why hurry?

I can deal with plain ol' carpetbaggers. Grandma warned me out revisionist baggers. Especially the ones selling threads.

The Hogfather

I really want Grinch.  I had never heard of him before this week, but everything I've read tells me he's a star.  Also, the guy at UTSA can't be bad if Saban is targeting him for their opening.

HogPharmer

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 14, 2017, 06:43:33 pm
I really want Grinch.  I had never heard of him before this week, but everything I've read tells me he's a star.  Also, the guy at UTSA can't be bad if Saban is targeting him for their opening.

But we need a guy in his early to mid 30's with at least 20+ years of SEC coaching experience.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

King Kong

Quote from: WaltonCollege on December 14, 2017, 05:53:39 pm
Can we re-hire Bielema in the interim?

Might as well make him earn some of that 11 mill

jackflash

willing to wait here. All I want is recruiters to be name on the defensive side of the ball. Morris choose who you want just make sure they can recruit

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on December 14, 2017, 05:53:14 pm
Ok I'll play devil's advocate. If it's someone like Chavis, in other words someone who is a good x's and o's guy but not a recruiter, then waiting isn't a big deal but if it's someone like Venables, someone who is a top flight recruiter, then waiting is hurting recruiting.

real recruiting takes time to build relationships.   whoever takes the job is going to try to salvage the class with guys we are already recruiting or that they were recruiting at their old school.

whether we hire someone the third week of december or the 2nd week of january doesn't make much of a difference this year.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 14, 2017, 07:50:51 pm
real recruiting takes time to build relationships.   whoever takes the job is going to try to salvage the class with guys we are already recruiting or that they were recruiting at their old school.

whether we hire someone the third week of december or the 2nd week of january doesn't make much of a difference this year.
Very true. The vast majority of the players who are going to sign during the early period have no doubt already firmly made up their minds. While a few like the two kids we're getting from SMU will make a last minute change, those will be few and far between. Our best hope is to get a very solid DC early in January and salvage what we can during the February signing date. With all the changes this class, already short spots due to lack of scholarships available, was likely never going to be one for the ages no matter who we got in place and when. 

Paul

Huh?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 14, 2017, 07:50:51 pm

I can tell you that what staff is currently in place so far isn't allowing any grass to grow under their feet. They are making connections and trying to establish relationships immediately. One of of the staff has already been blanketing the Tulsa area with in-person visits and gaining pertinent data about recruits, even those that are finishing out their current Sophomore years. Just look at the thread "the way things should be", and you will get a better idea of what they are talking about. Bill Haisten of the Tulsa World is writing about it. They are getting after it. Now that may not have great effect on this year, but it will on next year and the years in the future if they keep it up.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Code for, "Nobody wants the job, we're down to option H and I, we'll probably just get a Dallas area high school coach for it." Or that's the HV take on it. ....

PorkSoda

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 14, 2017, 08:20:13 pm
I can tell you that what staff is currently in place so far isn't allowing any grass to grow under their feet. They are making connections and trying to establish relationships immediately. One of of the staff has already been blanketing the Tulsa area with in-person visits and gaining pertinent data about recruits, even those that are finishing out their current Sophomore years. Just look at the thread "the way things should be", and you will get a better idea of what they are talking about. Bill Haisten of the Tulsa World is writing about it. They are getting after it. Now that may not have great effect on this year, but it will on next year and the years in the future if they keep it up.
basically my point.  this year will be about salvaging the class and maybe flipping a couple guys we are already on.  Hiring the right DC is way more important than 2 weeks of recruiting by one guy.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Boarcephus

I want him to take his time and hire the right guy.  I don't want Morris to do what my wife does when she goes to Dillard's or T.J.Maxx, buys something and takes it back because she got caught up in the spirit of things and hates it 24 hours later.  You don't get a mulligan hiring DC's without costing a buttload of $$$ and perhaps your job.   
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

oldhawg

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2017, 08:22:00 pm
Code for, "Nobody wants the job, we're down to option H and I, we'll probably just get a Dallas area high school coach for it." Or that's the HV take on it. ....

A little influence involved, but Gus Malzahn went from high school coach to offensive coordinator in one step.

hoglady

Got a dead period coming up for about 3 weeks, so hopefully we'll have some defensive staff in place before the dead period is over.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Tusks

Are there some flip-flops that need cleaning?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

BoynamedWooPigSooie

I like what I'm reading about Grinch.  I like a do more with less kind of guy that has won championships.

All of Bielema's assistant coaching hires came from perennial less than desirable programs w/ the exception of Segrest but even Bama never wanted him back. 
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

East Clintwood

Quote from: King Kong on December 14, 2017, 06:59:16 pm
Might as well make him earn some of that 11 mill

Why?  He didn't earn any of the first $20 million we paid him.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

I don't know who we will get for the DC position but I can guess one thing about whomever it is.  The Dude will work or be let go early on.  Work ethic, energy, refusing to be denied and fire in the belly will be the first things I believe Chad Morris will look for.  Knowing the Xs & Os will be next.  Recruiting value will somewhere in between.  Much like building anything, you must have a sound foundation.  Only then, can you build a solid anything.  Our man is new to the HC business and new to the SEC as a HC.  Being an OC on a bigtime program, he has an idea what it takes.  This coach, so far, reminds me of Bob Stoops coming to OU from being he DC at Fla.  Bob knew D but found himself a good OC.  Chad is just the opposite.  I can only hope he finds a DC who doesn't have to be prodded and pushed and knows what it takes.

NuttinItUp

Yurachek needs to comment on Slobbering Hog.

mhuff

HamGrowsOnTrees

Quote from: a0ashle on December 14, 2017, 05:58:04 pm
OMG, no it isn't. "We are waiting until coach is done with bowl games" really code for "I really want Venables and I don't care what you say, <fingers in ears> na na na na na!"

P.s. I wanted Venables for HC, so know I definitely want him as DC, but pulling a playoff team's DC to a questionably lateral move is unprecedented and far fetched.

Jeremy Pruitt says hiya. Cat took a couple of lateral moves.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HamGrowsOnTrees on December 15, 2017, 12:11:59 am
Jeremy Pruitt says hiya. Cat took a couple of lateral moves.

Florida State DC (1 season) to Georgia DC might be considered a lateral move. Moving from Georgia back to Alabama as DC is not exactly a lateral move, but that is just my opinion.
Go Hogs Go!

garagelifter

Makes me think that Grinch indeed declined an Arkansas offer

azhog10

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 14, 2017, 06:44:56 pm
But we need a guy in his early to mid 30's with at least 20+ years of SEC coaching experience.
Should be easy to find. A lot of SEC coaches have been coaching here since they were 15 years old.

ThisTeetsTaken

Unless we throw a bunch of money at them I'm not sure a successful current P5 DC would risk coming to UofA to try to stop SECW running games and athletes.  You could hurt your career trajectory by taking a job where top notch athletes aren't numerous but they are for the opposing schools.   But,  $$$ seems to make people do things they normally wouldn't.  I hope we are willing to pay $2M or more for the next DC.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

azhog10

What about Danny Gonzales? He's been at SDSU for a while and they have been consistently in the top 20 in defense for the last handful of years. He's young and he could be looking to step out and test himself. Did a little research and his DBs know how to find the ball.

a0ashle

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 15, 2017, 04:35:42 am
Florida State DC (1 season) to Georgia DC might be considered a lateral move. Moving from Georgia back to Alabama as DC is not exactly a lateral move, but that is just my opinion.

Which one of those is equivalent to Clemson/Oklahoma/Georgia/Bama to Arkansas?

Cinco de Hogo

Do we have an outreach program in Tahiti?

Hogarusa

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on December 14, 2017, 06:03:01 pm
Bowl games do not even keep head coaches from changing teams.  So they certainly would not prevent assistant coaches from changing teams, unless maybe it's the playoffs.   

This to the 100. These bowl games matter to fans, bowl executives, and ESPN. Coaches are finding new gigs. Players with NFL dreams are getting ready for the draft.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

oldhawg

Quote from: a0ashle on December 15, 2017, 08:48:01 am
Which one of those is equivalent to Clemson/Oklahoma/Georgia/Bama to Arkansas?

The unknown factors are how much the stakes (think salary) has been raised by Arkansas for a top notch DC, and what influence (if any) would Chad Morris have on the prospective DC's decision.

Hogwild

Unless it is one of the 3 playoff teams,(Bama DC will become a HC) there is no way that can be true.  Head Coaches much less coordinators, don't stay around for bowl games.

Either his first choice declined the offer or more likely our next DC is currently recruiting for another school and won't be released until after the first signing period.  If we come out of the dead period without a DC, either is BV or we have a major problem.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: garagelifter on December 15, 2017, 06:19:54 am
Makes me think that Grinch indeed declined an Arkansas offer
Interesting. And the "proof" of your opinion is exactly what ??? ::)

a0ashle

Quote from: oldhawg on December 15, 2017, 09:34:41 am

The unknown factors are how much the stakes (think salary) has been raised by Arkansas for a top notch DC, and what influence (if any) would Chad Morris have on the prospective DC's decision.

I understand, not saying it's impossible, I'm saying jumping from "we haven't hired a DC yet" to "must be a bowl coach" to "Venables (or whoever)" skips a whole lot of more likely scenarios in between.

The NewEra

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on December 14, 2017, 05:38:49 pm

There you have it.

Right now the man and his staff are going 1,000 miles per hour just trying to make sure he gets the best he can in the new early signing period.  I like that he's laser focused.  There will be plenty of time to make the DC hire a priority after next Wednesday's early signing period.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: bighogdaddy on December 14, 2017, 06:00:22 pm
Correct.  Bowl games have never kept assistants from changing jobs.  Other than the 2 playoff bowls.  The only thing different this year is the early signing period.  These guys probably have gentlemen agreements to stay at their schools until the early signing period passes and then they can move on.

King Kong

Quote from: East Clintwood on December 14, 2017, 10:51:47 pm

Why?  He didn't earn any of the first $20 million we paid him.

Put more effort in th first 20 than the last 11