Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Find a position for Corliss on the Staff

Started by rjmass, March 13, 2009, 02:35:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rjmass

I know he is currently the Head Coach at Arkansas Baptist, but we need to find a place for him on this staff.  Recruiting Coordinator maybe. 

Think about this, you are a kid and have Corlis and all the class and credibility he brings to the program, walk into your gym to watch you play, or come into your home.  It is easy to sell something if you believe in it.

Plus if you give our post players a week with "Big Nasty", what a difference that would make.

as a positive statement "Bring Big Nasty Home".
Grandpa told me the only two things I  could control in life were my tongue and my word.   To always honor what you say and say what you honor.
He was a wise man.

akp4105

He's the asst coach at Ark Baptist. He does have some family in this area though.

Hoggle

No offense, but I'm glad you aren't making such decisions.  Michael Jordan was one of the greatest basketball players ever.  Did that make him a good GM?  Does the fact that Corliss was strong in the low post, called the Hogs with fans and had a good NBA career mean he is going to be a tireless recruiter, relate well to parent and kids, talk the talk with the best recruiters, be highly organized and efficient on the road, show that he is HUNGRY for coaching success?????  What in the world has Corliss (who is also one of my favorite all time hogs) done to EARN a spot on the COACHING STAFF?  Do you want to hire him based on what he had done at AR Baptist (or whereever)?  Why not another AR Baptist coach, maybe one that has been there longer???  Joe Klien could match Corliss' success as a player.  Why not him?  Why not Sydney Moncrief, he was a great player?  Being a successful coach has VERY LITTLE to do with being a successful player and hiring somebody because they were a great player seems to ignore the qualities it take to be a good coach. 

Just another perspective...

rjmass

I heard an interview with him during the "championship weekend" celebration recently and the announcer asked him what it was like to be coaching and something said about him being the assistant.  Corliss mentioned that he had just recently been promoted to the Head Coaching Job, that was where I had gotten my information.

I know his home is the Russellville area.

I just can't help but believe a fair offer and the chance (challenge) to be a part of restoring the hogs to previous heights might be enough.. 

Grandpa told me the only two things I  could control in life were my tongue and my word.   To always honor what you say and say what you honor.
He was a wise man.

Porkatarian

Quote from: akp4105 on March 13, 2009, 02:41:53 pm
He's the asst coach at Ark Baptist.

WRONG.  He's now the head coach at Arkansas Baptist.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

rjmass

Hoggle,

I agree with some of the things you say, but Corliss is class and is one of the more motivational speakers I have ever hear speak.  Especially to younger kids, who know him. 

Corliss, knowing his family and knowing what his values are, (based on what I havce observed of him giving back to the community, both financially and with time), is respected.

When it comes right down to it though, isn't recruiting nothing more than selling your program to those who may or may not be interested?  Where Jordan, purchased partial ownership that is not what is going on here.  And yes CW did lead the crowd many times in hog calls, because he bought into and was a part of the system, he was not an island to himself.  We seem, it appears to have that disconnect right now with some players.

However, I do respect your opinion and agree with some of the remarks, you make, but I still believe he would be a great addition to the program and staff.
He was a wise man.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

I agree that we need Corliss in some role, maybe as assistant coach. We need someone who can recruit...maybe he can, maybe he can't, but most people know who he is and he can get in the door some places that maybe Pel can't.

JIHawg

Uh, I don't think Corless got a degree.  Not an issue with Arkansas Baptist, but with us, it might be.

want2be

I think Corliss would be a great mentor for these young guys who are having all kinds of trouble on and off the court..........and I think he could be trained quickly to be a good recruiter......we know what we have now is not working.....It is a shame that Evans was not used more and that he is rumored to be gone.

Smithian

If we picked up Corliss, Sean Sutton, or someone else(dream; Darrell Walker), I'd be very happy. It seems like we could use one of them in the program...  Question is who'd we fire to make it happen. Pelphrey doesn't have anyone on the staff who is exactly expendable, except maybe Isaac Brown.

akp4105

Quote from: rjmass on March 13, 2009, 02:50:01 pm
I heard an interview with him during the "championship weekend" celebration recently and the announcer asked him what it was like to be coaching and something said about him being the assistant.  Corliss mentioned that he had just recently been promoted to the Head Coaching Job, that was where I had gotten my information.

I know his home is the Russellville area.

I just can't help but believe a fair offer and the chance (challenge) to be a part of restoring the hogs to previous heights might be enough.. 

Thanks for correcting me. He has some family in the NWA area as well. I'm not sure he has the credentials to be an asst coach but I'd love to have him up here. even if he isnt a paid staff member.

donewithdale

I would like to see Corliss developing our frontcourt and if nothing else toughening them up in practice.  But there isn't an opening as Evans will have to be replaced with an ex head coach or someone who could be a head coach on some college level soon.  Now if Ostrum were to leave, I think it would depend on the recruiting ability of the top asst. if Corliss could fit in. 

As far as Sutton replacing Evans, wow especially if Ostrum stays and I say that meaning our players will be taking cussings and verbal beatdowns from 3 coaches.  He is as intense as Pel and I think even a little more insane acting. 

Razorod

i agree with you, we don't need sutton and ostrum on the same staff. dickey for evans and sutton for ostrum would work. corliss for brown if pel cleans house completely.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

davehog

Corliss must get his college degree before he can coach at the D1 level.  Todd Day did come back a few years ago and got his degree specifically for the purpose of coaching collegiately.  I think that Todd Day would be a great assistant coach.

cdclark09

I don't really know what makes people think his is guaranteed to be a great recruiter and coach.  What makes people think this besides his name?  Great players usually don't make great coaches.  Most of the time they make the worst coaches because they can't explain how to do what they did.  They just did it.  I'm not saying he can't or wouldn't be a great assistant for us.  I just don't see why its thought of as a given that he will make us better.  Is it a gamble that my be worth taking if we have an opening and Pel wants to do it?  I think so.  But I don't think it would lead to instant success and if it doesn't work out, we risk having to run off a Razorback legend and possibly alienating him from the program. 

Also, who said he would even want to do it?

Franchise_Hog

Quote from: Smithian on March 13, 2009, 03:03:15 pm
If we picked up Corliss, Sean Sutton, or someone else(dream; Darrell Walker), I'd be very happy. It seems like we could use one of them in the program...  Question is who'd we fire to make it happen. Pelphrey doesn't have anyone on the staff who is exactly expendable, except maybe Isaac Brown.

I may be wrong, but pretty sure Walker doesn't have a degree also....that's why he hasn't coached here in the past.

Smithian

I wish Darrell would get a degree. He is a legit coach. Was Byron Scott's top assistant and pretty much Chris Paul's personal coach since the 2005-2006 season and then just left this year on his own accord to be the Piston's top assistant. Along with a couple years of head coaching assistant, he'd be so amazing as a pickup here if he had a degree.

Him or Sutton are almost fantasies as top assistants. Darrell Walker would even be a great head coach.