Jim Harris takes realistic look at where Hog basketball stands

Started by BadHog, March 13, 2009, 01:11:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

midwestcityhog

that's spot on. 

great read.

"Pelphrey, though, must decide whether he wants to keep fighting  these battles with talented malcontents on the squad who keep getting caught with hands in the cookie jar. We're referring mainly to Jason Henry, who was suspended for the SEC tournament for yet another transgression; he missed three games early in the season, and he has spent a handful of minutes in the doghouse throughout the year. Fortson, too, seems to bounce around from good leader to mood malcontent at the wrong times, such as at Auburn, where his display there landed him a weekend off as the Hogs played Kentucky at home.

The way star teenage players are coddled today with the summer basketball scene around the country -- where the discipline that would be instilled by the regular high school season is usurped by the lack-of-discipline, lack-of-team-concept, all-for-me showoff ball -- makes it a difficult time for all college coaches trying to rein in their players. Pelphrey's not alone in his difficulties, but it's especially evident when the limited roster is so freshman-heavy.

However, the way Pelphrey seems to relate to overachievers in the same way he played at Kentucky, there was a point this season where we almost expected him to summon the Phi Delts to join the squad and tell his prima donna scholarship players, "They're starting until you guys suck it up and play as a team, defense as well as offense."

Maybe that's too old school, the kind of move you might have expected from an Eddie Sutton, a Bob Knight, a Gerald Myers or even Nolan Richardson. We still remember not long ago the night he sat future NBA player Janerro Pargo and a few other more talented Hogs to go with little guard Charles Tatum and some reserves and still beat the multitalented Alabama Crimson Tide in the Bud. Nolan made his point, though. "

chiefsfan

pretty good comparison between us and LSU of 1998.  Good Article
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

HognotinMemphis

Jimmy made an error in his article:

Sutton did get past the Sweet 16 again after the Final Four in '78. It was the very next season: Moncrief and co. got the Hogs to the Elite Eight in '79 and was a left-handed, Bob Heaton luck bucket with 2 seconds to go away from making the Final Four two years in a row.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 13, 2009, 01:47:44 pm
Jimmy made an error in his article:

Sutton did get past the Sweet 16 again after the Final Four in '78. It was the very next season: Moncrief and co. got the Hogs to the Elite Eight in '79 and was a left-handed, Bob Heaton luck bucket with 2 seconds to go away from making the Final Four two years in a row.

i was 9 years old and cried like a baby that day....was that shot not off of a long rebound from an attempt by bird?
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

jackflash

great article, rings of truth to me. No bigtime coach wanted this job and I don't feel they will now. Recruiting has been bad for awhile and its going to time to rebuild it.

want2be

Quote from: jackflash on March 13, 2009, 02:12:19 pm
great article, rings of truth to me. No bigtime coach wanted this job and I don't feel they will now. Recruiting has been bad for awhile and its going to time to rebuild it.

Yeh, I guess we will have to look forward to the 2011 recruiting class

jr

I like the article but the Calipari comparison is not a good one. Calipari is not in his 10th season but his 8th at Memphis and his worst year was his first 21-15 and 5th  22-16.