Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thankfully it is Finis.

Started by WilsonHog, March 12, 2009, 11:51:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

March 12, 2009, 11:51:22 pm Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 11:57:39 pm by WilsonHog
14-16 and losers of 15 of our last 17 games. More player suspensions in one year than I can ever remember in the 34 years I've been watching Razorback basketball.

Thanks to Rotnei Clarke, Marcus Britt, Michael Sanchez, Andre Clark, Marcus Monk, Stephen Cox, and John Paul Noland. You weren't the most talented players to ever wear "Arkansas" across your chest, but you did it the right way. You played hard and represented the University and our state with pride and integrity.

As for anyone else...the rest of the post is dedicated to you.

midwestcityhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 12, 2009, 11:51:22 pm
14-16 and losers of 15 of our last 17 games. More player suspensions in one year than I can ever remember in the 34 years I've been watching Razorback basketball.

Thanks to Rotnei Clarke, Marcus Britt, Michael Sanchez, Andre Clark, Brandon Moore, Marcus Monk, Stephen Cox, and John Paul Noland. You weren't the most talented players to ever wear "Arkansas" across your chest, but you did it the right way. You played hard and represented the University and our state with pride and integrity.

As for anyone else...the rest of the post is dedicated to you.

not to be 'that guy' but didnt brandon moore get hammered (underage) and a DUI after another blowout road loss?     not exactly 'integrity'.       so from what i count, you left out henry, fortson, welsh and mike washington         nice   (and the other walkon mason, the lil fortson lol)

WilsonHog

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 12, 2009, 11:54:47 pm
not to be 'that guy' but didnt brandon moore get hammered (underage) and a DUI after another blowout road loss?     not exactly 'integrity'.       so from what i count, you left out henry, fortson, welsh and mike washington         nice   (and the other walkon mason, the lil fortson lol)

Oops. Forgot about one. Need to remove him.

Thanks for the catch.

jkstock04

You know...Micheal Sanchez actually did resemble a division 1 college basketball player the first few minutes of the game today...I thought in that time he did a few good things that actually show the slight resemblance of improvment.  Watching him you can tell he gives it 100% on the effort standpoint.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

WilsonHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 13, 2009, 12:12:09 am
You know...Micheal Sanchez actually did resemble a division 1 college basketball player the first few minutes of the game today...I thought in that time he did a few good things that actually show the slight resemblance of improvment.  Watching him you can tell he gives it 100% on the effort standpoint.

Britt played pretty well also. You know that on the season he hit 15 out of 30 from 3-point range?

To provide some contrast, Jason Henry was 17 of 60 from behind the arc. 

Oliver

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 13, 2009, 12:28:20 am
Britt played pretty well also. You know that on the season he hit 15 out of 30 from 3-point range?

Dare I ask what Welsh was?

jkstock04

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 13, 2009, 12:28:20 am

Hmmm so Britt wound up shooting 50 percent beyond the arc for the year huh?  No I didn't know that.  Even though it's only 30 shots thats still quite a feat.  Guess maybe he should have been playing /shooting more.

Everyone always talks about how awsome Rotnei's outside shooting is...but I'm just not seeing it like other people are.  I'd like to see his final numbers/percentage from beyond the arc.  I can say without a doubt that he's no where close to being the next Al Dillard.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

40MINSOFHELL

WilsonHog

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 13, 2009, 12:30:13 am
Dare I ask what Welsh was?

I think 51 of 162 (.315). Fortson wasn't much better (31 of 98).

WilsonHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 13, 2009, 12:33:05 am
Everyone always talks about how awsome Rotnei's outside shooting is...but I'm just not seeing it like other people are.  I'd like to see his final numbers/percentage from beyond the arc.  I can say without a doubt that he's no where close to being the next Al Dillard.

Well, coming into tonight he was 80 of 201 (.398).

midwestcityhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 13, 2009, 12:33:05 am
Hmmm so Britt wound up shooting 50 percent beyond the arc for the year huh?  No I didn't know that.  Even though it's only 30 shots thats still quite a feat.  Guess maybe he should have been playing /shooting more.

39%.  83/211.  not bad at all considering he had a cold streak to start the sec.

welsh, 31%   51-166
fortson, 31%  31-100
henry, 28%  17-60
sanchez, clark, moore, nolan, 0%, 0-11

rot was 43/46 from the FT line, good enough for one of the best in the nation if he shot more often. missed 3 all year...

Oliver

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 13, 2009, 12:35:00 am
I think 51 of 162 (.315). Fortson wasn't much better (31 of 98).

Wow.  So our shooting guard was averaging 1.7 three pointers a game on 5.4 attempts and our guard was averaging 1.0 three pointer a game on 3.38 attempts.

MaxMaloney

The issue with Rotnei is whether his shooting is good enough to make up for the deficiencies he brings to other aspects of the game (defense, rebounding, playmaking).  Of course, we don't really have any better options right now, so it's kind of a moot point. 

blacksuit

Clarke is a fine 3 pt shooter.  Just watching him play, when he misses he's close. When Welsh or Forstson miss they shoot air balls.

It's a shame that this team lacked both talent and character (as a whole). 0 for 2 ain't good.

Newhopehog

show me a coach that wouldn't take a 39 percent three point shooter....

thirtythree

Quote from: Newhopehog on March 13, 2009, 02:39:33 am
show me a coach that wouldn't take a 39 percent three point shooter....

Every day of the week and twice on Sunday. This is a thread worth discussing. Wislon, you're right about the good ones. They never get enough credit, but because doing the right thing is never news worthy.

I think a huge problem with Welsh is he is jealous of the other guards. He tries so hard to out perform them, that he ends up hurting the team more than any good that he does. If he would just slow down and play within his limitations he could be a good piece of the puzzle. Everybody can't be the border pieces of the puzzle. You have to have some fill up the middle of it too and those are the role players. Marcus Britt, until he was starting, was a very good role player for this team. I don't know if Sanchez will start next year or not, but if he doesn't and he continues to improve he can fit that mold too.

Boarcephus

I stayed with the game till it went 12-8 UF then went to bed.  I saw a team that, from an athletic standpoint, stood no chance to win.  Pel inserted Welsh who promptly turned the ball over and I called it quits. UF was simply bigger, better, and better coached all the way around.  We have no bench, no size, little talent, no recruiting coming in and this is about all I can take.  Glad it's over.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 13, 2009, 07:22:39 am
I stayed with the game till it went 12-8 UF then went to bed.  I saw a team that, from an athletic standpoint, stood no chance to win.  Pel inserted Welsh who promptly turned the ball over and I called it quits. UF was simply bigger, better, and better coached all the way around.  We have no bench, no size, little talent, no recruiting coming in and this is about all I can take.  Glad it's over.
I kind of felt the same way. After a really rough day at work, I came home and turned on the TV. It was about halfway through the first half, and you are right, we were out talented and out coached at every position. Thing is, the coach might get better at coaching, but the guys he has recruited seem to be worse at team BB than the ones Stan brought in. I think that his learning has to start in recruiting the right athletes. Hopefully he will get control of this runaway train and learn from his mistakes. I really like JP and hope that he succeeds. I just don't see anything better next year, and that may be all he gets.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

HognotinMemphis

I haven't watched a Hog game since the first half of the SEC season. Glad I made that choice.

Didn't think about last night's game until I got on here at about 9:30 and saw posts about it. Still don't know what the final score was since I haven't read the sports section yet.

In my opinion, this is the kind of season after which players lose scholarships and coaches lose their jobs. You don't have a season like this because you are "young" or "in transition", etc. You have a season like this because you are inept, as a player or as a coach.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 13, 2009, 12:37:42 am
39%.  83/211.  not bad at all considering he had a cold streak to start the sec.

welsh, 31%   51-166
fortson, 31%  31-100
henry, 28%  17-60
sanchez, clark, moore, nolan, 0%, 0-11

rot was 43/46 from the FT line, good enough for one of the best in the nation if he shot more often. missed 3 all year...

Don't forget MW 5-29

Why was he even shooting from out there?

little pigee

Quote from: jkstock04 on March 13, 2009, 12:12:09 am
Agreed.  Major effort, and he only dropped the ball once!  He actually looked good for a while.  Relieved that it is over.  Snakebit is an understatement.
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

LRSmitty

I'm so glad it's over, we've been terrible since the mid-90s but I don't think I've ever watched such garbage.....this team got so much worse through the year.  These guys better improve or it is going to be so long to Pel......

Kevin

i thought sanchez played extremely well until fatigue jumped on his back.  we need a big off season from moore and clark.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Razorod

we also need powell. he's a different kind of big than we have now. more of a wide body, power player rather than long and lean like our other bigs. if powell is eligible and washington does come back i could see some offensive sets where powell plays the "five" spot and washington would be free to play the four, his more natural position. we really need a small forward, especially if henry is indeed gone.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Darren DeLoach

the conversations on 3pt shooting precision stirred my interest.

these seem to be the best we have had from what i have gathered.

scotty thurman   267-618  .432
jannero pargo 168-395  .425
lee mayberry  218-514  .424
joe johnson   63-155  .406
alex dillard 138-344  .401
pat bradley   366-915  .400

joe johnson does not have much of a sample size, so if you leave him out---the others would be our top 5 most accurate 3pt shooters.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Mick Hogger

The announcers also said last night that Rotnei made more his freshman season than Pat Bradley did. I still don't get the people that knock this kid.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Hogbody

Quote from: semohawg on March 13, 2009, 09:14:45 am

scotty thurman   267-618  .432
joe johnson   63-155  .406
pat bradley   366-915  .400

joe johnson does not have much of a sample size, so if you leave him out---the others would be our top 5 most accurate 3pt shooters.

But Clarke is without a doubt not close to Al Dillard remember?  ;)

Clarke will be at least 2nd on the list of 3pt FG's made by the time he graduates.

ruarealhogfan

March 13, 2009, 12:14:51 pm #27 Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:24:55 pm by ruarealhogfan
Quote from: Mick Hogger on March 13, 2009, 10:01:29 am
The announcers also said last night that Rotnei made more his freshman season than Pat Bradley did. I still don't get the people that knock this kid.

If you have unrealistic expectations then you will be disappointed.  I don't think in his wildest dream that Pel envisioned Clarke would be his starting 2 guard this year, but the loss of Beverley forced his hand.  He averaged over 30 minutes a game & it was obvious in the 2nd half of most games (hell when UF made their run last night Rotnei was missing 3 open 3's) that he was wearing down, he couldn't get open & when he did he missed alot of shots.  I would love to see a % on just his 2nd half 3's.   

blacksuit

Quote from: PorcineSublime on March 13, 2009, 07:46:06 am
I really like JP and hope that he succeeds. I just don't see anything better next year, and that may be all he gets.

This about sums it up for me. Well said.

One basic additive would make all these players better.  Someone on the bench behind them that will take their spot if they don't team up, smart up and bust their butt.  Once Welsh realizes he would sit if he didn't play better and smarter, he would.  Now just add that to everyone else and then you get a much better team.  This team had small high school itis this year meaning no push from the bench so whatever I do, I'll still play. 

Smokehouse

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 13, 2009, 07:22:39 am

I was at the game. It felt great for the first half and then imploded about five into the second and I was forced to listen to the gator band play the chomp six thousand times.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

PoormansRobbyHampton

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: semohawg on March 13, 2009, 09:14:45 am

scotty thurman   267-618  .432
joe johnson   63-155  .406
pat bradley   366-915  .400

That's a heck of a good-looking list!