Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It comes down to this...

Started by Toad Suck Pork, March 12, 2009, 11:02:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Toad Suck Pork

All signs point to Pel staying for at least another year.

The nail in his coffin will be ticket sales/attendance next year.  This team will be equal if not marginally better at best in 2010 and fans will figure it out pretty quickly.

Major college athletics is a business, and Jeff Long is a businessman.  I have faith he won't let the debacle continue past next season.

midwestcityhog

Wrong.

Long told Pel he gets 2 more years to rebuild (the 2011 class in arkansas is too good to have next year be a 'hot seat')

Allegedly Pel gets 2 years if he fires ostrum, but posters on here said Pel is calling long's bluff and will never fire ostrum. 

99,99999% chance pel is here in '10.  and if he's here next year, he'll be here for '11.

50% chance ostrum is h ere

Marshfieldhog

It's not only ticket sales but donations to the foundation, if I'm Long I would really have to consider cutting my losses( and future losses with Pel) and letting him go.

Toad Suck Pork

To the administration, it's 99% about making money.  Fans often forget about that.  If the Bud is half empty next year and the team is not any better, don't automatically count the 2011 class as givens.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Toad Suck Pork on March 12, 2009, 11:02:15 pm

The nail in his coffin will be ticket sales/attendance next year.  This team will be equal if not marginally better at best in 2010 and fans will figure it out pretty quickly.

Major college athletics is a business, and Jeff Long is a businessman.  I have faith he won't let the debacle continue past next season.
Getting rid of Pel next year will be to late for the program. just like when we hung on to Nutt and Stan to long. i know it when i see it. and im telling you right now that Pel is not it. he was a bad hire by Jonh White. and he is in over his head.

Table Rocker

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 12, 2009, 11:09:41 pm
Getting rid of Pel next year will be to late for the program. just like when we hung on to Nutt and Stan to long. i know it when i see it. and im telling you right now that Pel is not it. he was a bad hire by Jonh White. and he is in over his head.

you say the same about nolan after year 2? i'm sure you knew he'd become a championship coach right?

Toad Suck Pork

Another factor to consider is that Pel was not Jeff Long's man.  He was the product of the Frank/John White disaster.  AD's have a funny way of preferring their own types of coaches.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 12, 2009, 11:10:28 pm
you say the same about nolan after year 2? i'm sure you knew he'd become a championship coach right?
Let me tell you something right now. and let me make it clear.PEL AINT NO NOLAN!stop the crap.

Table Rocker

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 12, 2009, 11:13:01 pm
Let me tell you something right now. and let me make it clear.PEL AINT NO NOLAN!stop the crap.

you didn't answer my question

midwestcityhog

you know it when you see it?  how many threads have you started saying "i support coach pel completely" or "guys, we have ourselves a great coach".   im sure as late as february there are threads like that.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 12, 2009, 11:13:53 pm
you didn't answer my question
No games with you tonight. im staying on the subject of Pel. if this man had any shame he would resign. 2 and 15 in sec play. 2 and 15 at a school like arkansas. it is beyound words and a disgrace to the history of arkansas basketball.

Table Rocker

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 12, 2009, 11:20:57 pm
No games with you tonight. im staying on the subject of Pel. if this man had any shame he would resign. 2 and 15 in sec play. 2 and 15 at a school like arkansas. it is beyound words and a disgrace to the history of arkansas basketball.

hey you can complain all you want, that's fine, i'm not gonna argue, i just want you to answer that one question.

N HOG

Quote from: Toad Suck Pork on March 12, 2009, 11:02:15 pm

I can hardly contain my excitement.

midwestcityhog

joe, losing monk was the final coffin, and after that we didnt have the players to be a 10 win team right now.  we're playing zone defense for crying out loud.  we don't have the guys to run, unless you want to see the walkons nolan and mason, and the golfer, playing for 10 minutes a game...    add in the big bodies next year, shift some height to the 3 or even the 2 if henry is still here, and watch us do much better.

want2be

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 12, 2009, 11:03:55 pm
Wrong.

Long told Pel he gets 2 more years to rebuild (the 2011 class in arkansas is too good to have next year be a 'hot seat')

Allegedly Pel gets 2 years if he fires ostrum, but posters on here said Pel is calling long's bluff and will never fire ostrum. 

99,99999% chance pel is here in '10.  and if he's here next year, he'll be here for '11.

50% chance ostrum is h ere

This is probably accurate...........In addition Long has to have stipulations on the off court issues......One step forward and two steps back

moses_007

Amen, brother.  It's a total and complete disgrace.

Table Rocker

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 12, 2009, 11:29:57 pm
You gon being. wait on. that for along thyme.

he talks alot but seems to avoid that question every time.

N HOG

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 12, 2009, 11:34:17 pm
he talks alot but seems to avoid that question every time.

I'll help Joe out. Repeat the question.

Razorvet

Quote from: N HOG on March 12, 2009, 11:36:41 pm
I'll help Joe out. Repeat the question.

The question is are you excited about tip off next year? Or how about tip off 2011? Are you excited enought to pony up your hard earned cash and make the drive out to the Bud? Im not. You couldnt give me a ticket to next season.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Razorvet on March 12, 2009, 11:42:52 pm
The question is are you excited about tip off next year? Or how about tip off 2011? Are you excited enought to pony up your hard earned cash and make the drive out to the Bud? Im not. You couldnt give me a ticket to next season.

i'll be there for some games, will even drive to dallas to do so. does that make me less of a fan?

YABBBUF

No Ostrum Or Evans next year.  FCJ can you scoop that?
You are welcome Slacker.

N HOG

Quote from: YABBBUF on March 12, 2009, 11:47:56 pm
No Ostrum Or Evans next year.  FCJ can you scoop that?

If true, then ALL our problems are solved.

We are in for a GREAT year.

Razorvet

Quote from: Table Rocker on March 12, 2009, 11:45:07 pm
i'll be there for some games, will even drive to dallas to do so. does that make me less of a fan?

It makes you one hell of alot more dedicated than me. I dont want to pay for a broken product.

YABBBUF

I think we will get quite a bit better next year N HOG..
You are welcome Slacker.

N HOG

Quote from: YABBBUF on March 13, 2009, 12:41:44 am
I think we will get quite a bit better next year N HOG..

I'm happy for you.

You have hope.

Not sure why, but glad you have it.

chiefsfan

So in other words youre never going to answer the question

Care for me to bring you your "I love coach Pelphrey" posts back in early January up again?
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

PennaHog

And you haven't said the exact same thing in every other "Fire Pel" thread you have posted to.  Two or three times is probably enough.  We get it.  You don't like Pel as the coach.

WPS GHG
:razorback:
This comment is the absolute dumbest thing ever said on this board:

Quote from: Porkem Yung on December 05, 2010, 01:03:52 am
I thought you were a military man? 
You would think, serving our great country, would have taught you some respect for authority.
Lando is a moderator.  Respect his authority.

jeffshogs

Last year I didn't get too excited over our relative success.  I thought Pel did a good job with our senior laden team, although they didn't fit his style.  They weren't his players they were Heath's.  This year he had his players so I give this year to transition.  If his players can't make marked improvement from this year to next then I will be more inclined to subscribe to the growing negative attitudes and apathy of some fans.   I realize the off-court issues can hurt a program but then again this was a transition year in my opinion,  on and off the court.
Get your bird dog butt up and down the court!

traffordhog

I really believe Pel will get us some good players in this recruiting class (late signers).  If anyone here expects him to 5 star players then you are going to be disappointed at this point.  There will be some down the line.  I have been reading this board now for almost two years and there is enough drama created on here to make a person never want to get deeply involved in any of the sports programs at any school.  I am sure that all the "things" that have reportedly gone on this year has gone on for years, just no internet to spew it all out on.  The Basketball program cannot get any worse by giving Pel two more years, which is only fair, but, it can get better and I believe it will.  I will make this prediction:  Razorback Basketball will be here long after we are all gone, if the Lord tarries.

bvillepig

FCJ I agree.  I was on the fence because of 46-42 in the Sunbelt when they hired him . I told my kids I would support him but would wait and see on how good a coach he is. I have seen enough. He might be a great guy but I may not have enough time to wait around for him to get it done.

Great coaches win at all levels.  Pel will never be a Nolan. He might have made a good assistant but on his own he will not get it done.

traffordhog

rlreev01

Everybody is missing one more point.  The economy is devastating to the donations to the Foundation.  Being that, the Foundation is in no position to "buy out" a contract.  Pel will be given every opportunity to succeed for that reason alone.  I sincerely hope he does.

bvillepig

Not sure but I will try
46-42  Sunbelt   9-7 SEC    2-12 SEC 

4 guards with no length
a 5th guard whose future is uncertain 
4 forwards  2 of these who Pelphry says do not get it done in practice "Think the light mysteriously comes on for those two"  the third may not be here the fourth is slow and can not jump.

3 early signees 
One Seven footer  ?
One very gifted but ? on getting here
Don't know on the late signing period ????

Just my opinion and others break it down much better but defense wins championships. Thats why I was in Nolans camp. Also why I like Anthony Grant.  Check his record at all levels.

But if Coach can get this group together enough to win he will have done one heck of a job.

HoopS

I get the frustration.  I'm frustrated too.  However, I want to see what he can do with a roster of players he selected.  It's simple to sit here and declare he can't get it done.  How do you know?   I bet you didn't think Nolan could get it done after a year or two either.

Pel certainly has things to work on. 

But I'll say this again and no matter how many stars you have by your name, you won't change my mind.....

Nobody should ever have to replace so many players in one year.  Because he had to get some players in here and fast, not his own fault, he had to go JuCo and you darn well oughta know that's risky.  Why JuCo?   Because he needed to spread the classes out so we wouldn't be replacing 7 again in 4 years and he needed some players fast....hoping the JuCo's, while risky, would quicken the rebuild.  And oh yeah, it's a rebuild.  Anyone of you thinking otherwise has your head up your butt.  Look at the roster turnover and say otherwise.

So he had to get numbers and take risks.  Biggus laid out some of the ones he went after, some good names.   He didn't land many of the better ones, but he certainly looked to identify the right kind of talent. 

It's going to take time and frankly, shouldn't you have realized this?  Did you actually even look ah the situation closely? 

He is a young coach who needed to land primo talent and got some good talent, and needs more.   Dude did not walk into a desirable situation and I don't care what you say.  Perhaps when he has enough clout and experience to land the primo players having 6 or 7 scholies to give out would be nice, but not yet.   And to me, I don't think I would ever want that many new faces on the roster.  3 or 4 a year.  Max. 

These frosh that played so much, Fort and Clarke in particular, they needed to be backups at first and adjust.  They didn't have that luxury.  And that's Pel's fault?

Again, I know he has his flaws.  But he walked into a situation I wouldn't have wanted.....a storied program with a hungry fanbase, a messed up roster and very little stroke to just fill like he may have wanted.   And the fans are not ready to admit we are rebuilding so now, after one class of his on campus (actually his second but first one he actually had time to identify and recruit thoroughly) some would have him fired before he can even put 2 classes together.  Think about that.  Not 4 or 5, 2. 

So he gets to prove his worth by using a bunch and freshmen and 3 role players from the year before. 

Yeah, that makes a lot of fricken sense.

I'll stick with the current coach.  Last year he got more out of those players than they had given before.  Until last year, I thought it was all Heath but those players were either ruined by Heath or were never willing to lay it all on the line all together game after game.  This years group give it what they had most of the time.  None of the current group are show stoppers.  Growing up may help that as will having better players behind them to put them on the bench.  This ball team is better than many think and so is the coach.  I will join the other side when I see different.