Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 2009-10 season now underway-

Started by olivebranchhog, March 12, 2009, 10:59:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

olivebranchhog

I am just one of many people who have been critical of Pel. I am unsure if he is the right guy for the job. But, no matter what I or anyone else thinks of the man, he still has one more year to plug the hole in the sinking ship that is Arkansas Basketball. Now is not the time to criticize Pel, or anyone on the team. The season is over, and the only thing we should be talking about is the 2009-10 Hogs. Lecture over. What are your realistic expectations for this recruiting period, and upcoming season?
Sometimes it takes a loss to make us realize what's really important

Razorod

Tony Mitchell would be a nice spring pick-up. Don't know if it's going to happen, but hope it does.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Marshfieldhog

I wouldn't bet the house on Pel returning, he probably will but to say it without a doubt would probably not be accurate.

midwestcityhog

Question, WHY does everyone say that Powell, Farmer, and Borden are "not making it here"

What actual information does anyone have to suspect any of the guys dont have the grades?  Is this just wishful thinking by those that want pel fired?

i think adding powell, farmer, and borden are just what the doctor ordered.  hoping we can keep henry, but man, what a team of guys we'll have next year if wash stays......

Razorod

Powell and Farmer will help. But even the most optimistic person doubts Borden will contribute anything next year. Most think he will redshirt, unless Washington bolts.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

olivebranchhog

I really see no reason for Wash to leave. He is not even close to being ready mentally. He is still more immature than a 6 year old.

hawginitall

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 12, 2009, 11:02:18 pm
Question, WHY does everyone say that Powell, Farmer, and Borden are "not making it here"

What actual information does anyone have to suspect any of the guys dont have the grades?  Is this just wishful thinking by those that want pel fired?

i think adding powell, farmer, and borden are just what the doctor ordered.  hoping we can keep henry, but man, what a team of guys we'll have next year if wash stays......

Probably the same folks who last year about this time were saying that Fortson would be a casualty!

rude1

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 12, 2009, 11:02:18 pm

My understanding is that none have qualified. So that alone tells me that they aren't solid qualifiers, and there is the potential that some or all may not make it or they all could make it.

Even if they all make it, how much have you truly upgraded? Not much IMO.

The Hogfather

Quote from: hawginitall on March 12, 2009, 11:51:43 pm
Probably the same folks who last year about this time were saying that Fortson would be a casualty!

Are you the same guy that used to go by Hogginitall?

The Hogfather

Quote from: olivebranchhog on March 12, 2009, 11:10:07 pm
I really see no reason for Wash to leave. He is not even close to being ready mentally. He is still more immature than a 6 year old.

Need I say immaturity?

hoglady

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on March 12, 2009, 11:00:34 pm
I wouldn't bet the house on Pel returning, he probably will but to say it without a doubt would probably not be accurate.

I think most fans would be shocked and disappointed if Long let Pel go now.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

WilsonHog

Quote from: hoglady on March 12, 2009, 11:58:31 pm

Do you think those fans are privy to all of the info going on inside the program, or do they just pay attention to what they read in the newspapers?   

midwestcityhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 13, 2009, 12:04:51 am
Do you think those fans are privy to all of the info going on inside the program, or do they just pay attention to what they read in the newspapers?  

bigger question: if pel was fired would all that 'fireable off teh court stuff' actually be printed in the newspapers?   would the rest of hog nation learn the behind the scenes stuff?  i bet not.

Oliver

Why?

forrest city joe

I think that says a lot about how low we have sunk.arkansas fans shocked and disappointed  by a coach getting fired that went 2 and 15 in the sec. and finished in last place. please tell me you are kidding!

midwestcityhog

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 13, 2009, 12:08:55 am
Why?

because 99.4% of hog fans dont read message boards and knew this was going to be a rebuilding season.  they remember beating texas and ou and lump it in with the stan 9 win and 12 win 'rebuilding' years.    the casual hog fan loves pel, his firey energy, 'passion', etc.   do you really think there are calls for pels head in the non internet hog world?  id bet teh farm theres not

midwestcityhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 13, 2009, 12:10:13 am
I think that says a lot about how low we have sunk.arkansas fans shocked and disappointed  by a coach getting fired that went 2 and 15 in the sec. and finished in last place. please tell me you are kidding!

im not read the post of mine above this.  its a rebuilding year.  its expected.  and do you get fired after ANY 2-14 year, ever?  even if nolan had one?

Oliver

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 13, 2009, 12:12:03 am
because 99.4% of hog fans dont read message boards and knew this was going to be a rebuilding season.  they remember beating texas and ou and lump it in with the stan 9 win and 12 win 'rebuilding' years.    the casual hog fan loves pel, his firey energy, 'passion', etc.   do you really think there are calls for pels head in the non internet hog world?  id bet teh farm theres not

Well of course uneducated Hog fans aren't going to really care about this one way or another.  They use expressions like "How Bout Them Hogs?" or "We Stunk It Up Last Night." to just strike up a conversation with a stranger.  I doubt one way or another who our coach was unless he was a big time winner.

midwestcityhog

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 13, 2009, 12:15:36 am
Well of course uneducated Hog fans aren't going to really care about this one way or another.  They use expressions like "How Bout Them Hogs?" or "We Stunk It Up Last Night." to just strike up a conversation with a stranger.  I doubt one way or another who our coach was unless he was a big time winner.

'uneducated'?  no, i mean hog fans that buy tickets and attend games but dont have jump ball of hogville as their home page.  the ones that love the hogs but dont read message boards.  they would be floored, the couple from morrillton driving up to 8 home games and driving home after 7 losses, yeah they'd be mad if pel was fired, you betcha

Oliver

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 13, 2009, 12:18:17 am
'uneducated'?  no, i mean hog fans that buy tickets and attend games but dont have jump ball of hogville as their home page.  the ones that love the hogs but dont read message boards.  they would be floored, the couple from morrillton driving up to 8 home games and driving home after 7 losses, yeah they'd be mad if pel was fired, you betcha

Why would they be floored?  Are you trying to tell me that they are enjoying what's going on now?  They like spending that money on these kind of performances?  Do they really think that things are going to get better under Pel?  And if so, why?

midwestcityhog

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 13, 2009, 12:20:30 am
Why would they be floored?  Are you trying to tell me that they are enjoying what's going on now?  They like spending that money on these kind of performances?  Do they really think that things are going to get better under Pel?  And if so, why?

wow what a crazy jump to conclusions. i didnt sy they enjoyed it and liked spending money, but i cant imagine the average fan thinks firing a coach 2 years in, with 1 year of his own players and gobs of freshman, is a legitimate option.  those same ticket holders sat through 5 years of stan, so now they really think pel is gone in less than 2 years?  no way.

most hog fans arent around the negativity of jump ball 24/7 so they dont know about all the off the court stuff

N HOG

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 13, 2009, 12:27:44 am
wow what a crazy jump to conclusions. i didnt sy they enjoyed it and liked spending money, but i cant imagine the average fan thinks firing a coach 2 years in, with 1 year of his own players and gobs of freshman, is a legitimate option.  those same ticket holders sat through 5 years of stan, so now they really think pel is gone in less than 2 years?  no way.

most hog fans arent around the negativity of jump ball 24/7 so they dont know about all the off the court stuff

"Most Hog fans" probably don't think too much either way about a team that went 2-15 in the SEC. They don't care any more.

sickboy

I'm with you. I think most non message board fans aren't as ready to fire pel as the crowd here at hogville. But that's the way it is. You're basically putting all the die hard fans, those willing to spend internet time on the teams, in one place.  That causes a mob mentality. It's the nature of the beast.

Now, what happened to Nutt is an example of what happens when the mob gets big enough and transcends the message boards.  This is what you're seeing now with Pel. When things don't go well, in any sport, the die hard fines start lighting the fire. It's up to Pel to put that fire out and the only way he can will be to win.  The difference between a message board fan and a non message board fan would be a question of how big that fire is right now.

N HOG

Quote from: sickboy1138.2 on March 13, 2009, 12:34:39 am
I'm with you. I think most non message board fans aren't as ready to fire pel as the crowd here at hogville. But that's the way it is. You're basically putting all the die hard fans, those willing to spend internet time on the teams, in one place.  That causes a mob mentality. It's the nature of the beast.

Now, what happened to Nutt is an example of what happens when the mob gets big enough and transcends the message boards.  This is what you're seeing now with Pel. When things don't go well, in any sport, the die hard fines start lighting the fire. It's up to Pel to put that fire out and the only way he can will be to win.  The difference between a message board fan and a non message board fan would be a question of how big that fire is right now.

\
What you said is correct.

Count me in as one who says he won't be able to put the fire out -- not talking about this year, but soon.

Oliver

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 13, 2009, 12:27:44 am

So their lack of knowledge excuses what's going on? 

midwestcityhog

+1

midwestcityhog

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 13, 2009, 12:40:17 am
So their lack of knowledge excuses what's going on? 

no, their lack of being exposed to constant negativity, baseless rumors, and agenda driven posting keeps them in the 'real world'.   hogville isnt the real world, its the hyper-fan-on-diet-mountain-dew-in-the-5th-overtime-"passion" version of the real world.        can you imagine that aforementioned couple from morillton railing for hours about tom ostrum when absolutely NO FACTS EVER have been posted about him?  i mean we have 'solid' rumors and 'inside' information, but not a single fact on the guy has been posteed.... and he's hogville enemy #1.  i hardly think harry and louise of conway county could whip themselves into an ostrum-led frenzy.

N HOG

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 13, 2009, 12:46:15 am
no, their lack of being exposed to constant negativity, baseless rumors, and agenda driven posting keeps them in the 'real world'.   hogville isnt the real world, its the hyper-fan-on-diet-mountain-dew-in-the-5th-overtime-"passion" version of the real world.        can you imagine that aforementioned couple from morillton railing for hours about tom ostrum when absolutely NO FACTS EVER have been posted about him?  i mean we have 'solid' rumors and 'inside' information, but not a single fact on the guy has been posteed.... and he's hogville enemy #1.  i hardly think harry and louise of conway county could whip themselves into an ostrum-led frenzy.

Harry and Louise know we finished 2-15 and right now could care less about Hog basketball -- along with the vast majority of people in the state.

They'll be even less interested next year when we go 5-12 at best.

Iwastherein1969

The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Iwastherein1969

first NUTT HUGGER marked and identified
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

midwestcityhog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 13, 2009, 01:17:18 am
two NUTT HUGGERS noted and identified

are you insane?  i couldnt stand nutt and wanted him out since 0 for october in 2003.  what the guy said about message boards is true though.  nutt HAD to go, and im glad he did, but we dont have to fly banners for every coach every season.  pel had a bad year, but there's no way in heck this is equivalent to that sad sack nutt. 

i cant stand nutt, but even the casual fans couldnt stand nutt.  nobody 'hates' pel

olivebranchhog

Wow it is amazing how some people can just relate anything to Nutt. It's starting to get comical.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 13, 2009, 01:17:18 am
two NUTT HUGGERS noted and identified

I hated Nutt's Guts, but support Pelphrey.  and Ive made several points that no matter what everyone on hogville says  alot of Arkansas fans still liked Nutt

Does that make me a Nutt hugger
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

olivebranchhog

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 12, 2009, 11:57:36 pm
Need I say immaturity?

So Im immature for pointing out someone else's immaturity? You should work with the government spinmaster.

Razorvet

Quote from: chiefsfan on March 13, 2009, 01:33:28 am
I hated Nutt's Guts, but support Pelphrey.  and Ive made several points that no matter what everyone on hogville says  alot of Arkansas fans still liked Nutt

Yes. Unless you hit them with a 2x4 and yell "How do YOU like them code reds bitch."
If you do that your a true Hog fan.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Razorvet on March 13, 2009, 01:36:31 am
Yes. Unless you hit them with a 2x4 and yell "How do YOU like them code reds bitch."
If you do that your a true Hog fan.

ive got that wood.   Im just too nice to hit people with them
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

ruarealhogfan

They don't have influential people trying to push them off the edge...

thirtythree

It would be a different story if he was in his 5th, 6th etc . . . . season and did this. Fact his he is going into his 3rd (some say actiually 2 due to what happened with losing all almost all the scoring from his 1st).

The announcers were all over it last night. They kept eluding to DEPTH the whole night. They even credited the Hogs for the way they played with the lack of DEPTH. They even said that they didn't believe the Hogs mailes it in the entire season.

So, yeah, I would be shocked of he was fired.

The Hogfather

March 13, 2009, 06:58:10 am #38 Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 08:13:37 am by The Hogfather
Quote from: olivebranchhog on March 13, 2009, 01:34:18 am
So Im immature for pointing out someone else's immaturity? You should work with the government spinmaster.

You should've stopped drinking 2 drinks before this post.  I was saying that his reason for going pro might be immaturity.  He is not mature enough to know that he needs to stay in school and get his degree because his pro career will not last long.  At least, not in the US.

hoglady

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 13, 2009, 12:04:51 am

No, they aren't privy to anything. They're just your normal everyday Hog Fan. Listen to Bo, Drivetime and read the Dem. They like Pel, alot. If Long let him go - for their not to be an uproar among the fanbase he would have to explain why.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

hoglady

No I'm not kidding. Pel's in his 2nd year. He lost everything off last years team. Now, if he has another year like this year.........Bye, bye Pel.

Hog-Corleone

no, their lack of being exposed to constant negativity, baseless rumors, and agenda driven posting keeps them in the 'real world'.   hogville isnt the real world, its the hyper-fan-on-diet-mountain-dew-in-the-5th-overtime-"passion" version of the real world.        can you imagine that aforementioned couple from morillton railing for hours about tom ostrum when absolutely NO FACTS EVER have been posted about him?  i mean we have 'solid' rumors and 'inside' information, but not a single fact on the guy has been posteed.... and he's hogville enemy #1.  i hardly think harry and louise of conway county could whip themselves into an ostrum-led frenzy.

For the record, I drink full strength Mountain Dew, not diet
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

rude1

So if you are correct, then the stands should be full next year right? After all it's only on the message boards where there is discontent, and all the real fans love Pelphrey and the bang up rebuilding job he is doing. I am betting that you are wrong, and the stands will be only half full.

hogster23

Quote from: midwestcityhog on March 13, 2009, 12:12:03 am
because 99.4% of hog fans dont read message boards and knew this was going to be a rebuilding season.  they remember beating texas and ou and lump it in with the stan 9 win and 12 win 'rebuilding' years.    the casual hog fan loves pel, his firey energy, 'passion', etc.   do you really think there are calls for pels head in the non internet hog world?  id bet teh farm theres not
Did you know that 69.65% of statistics are made up on the spot to support people's arguments?

BrooklynRoss

Fire Pel? You guys are soft. Everyone should be fired. Every single person on this God-forsaken planet. The people firing guns at each other because of religious differences? Fired. The people who manipulated the monetary system to the point that it became so disassociated with reality that it finally simply ceased to exist (not to mention all the people who knew it was happening and kept quiet.) Fired. Bush? Fired. Obama? Fired. The people who are posting on Hogville from work? Definitely fired. The jobless? Fired again. Talentless, attention-mongering celebrities who exist in the public consciousness only because of the self-perpetuated, hackneyed PR machine that the media has become? Fired. That media I was speaking of? Fired. The Pope? Fired. Talaban members? Fired. Tara Reid, Chris Klien and Tom Arnold? Fired. Meryl Streep, Al Pacino and Robert Dinero? Fired. Fire the fire marshals, the fire fighters, and last but not least, fire all of the HR people who are in charge of firing. FIRED!

Sorry, it's been a long week.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

Oliver

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on March 13, 2009, 09:45:19 am
Fire Pel? You guys are soft. Everyone should be fired. Every single person on this God-forsaken planet. The people firing guns at each other because of religious differences? Fired. The people who manipulated the monetary system to the point that it became so disassociated with reality that it finally simply ceased to exist (not to mention all the people who knew it was happening and kept quiet.) Fired. Bush? Fired. Obama? Fired. The people who are posting on Hogville from work? Definitely fired. The jobless? Fired again. Talentless, attention-mongering celebrities who exist in the public consciousness only because of the self-perpetuated, hackneyed PR machine that the media has become? Fired. That media I was speaking of? Fired. The Pope? Fired. Talaban members? Fired. Tara Reid, Chris Klien and Tom Arnold? Fired. Meryl Streep, Al Pacino and Robert Dinero? Fired. Fire the fire marshals, the fire fighters, and last but not least, fire all of the HR people who are in charge of firing. FIRED!

Sorry, it's been a long week.

Tim Redding - FIRED.

Biggus Piggus

can you imagine that aforementioned couple from morillton railing for hours about tom ostrum when absolutely NO FACTS EVER have been posted about him?  i mean we have 'solid' rumors and 'inside' information, but not a single fact on the guy has been posteed.

untrue
[CENSORED]!

The Boar War

If they've been through that and aren't really that upset I doubt they'll be really mad if Pelphrey is fired.  They may be upset at first but once someone else is hired they'll go to the same amount of games next year.

deshahawg

I'm looking forward to a good season because all these guys have a year under their belt now. We don't graduate anyone so that can't hurt.

Lieutenant Dan

Quote from: chiefsfan on March 13, 2009, 01:33:28 am

As bad as Nutt was, Pel might be worse.