Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Henry isn't the only player in trouble...

Started by Porkatarian, March 11, 2009, 11:35:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgon

QuoteI'd bet it would be hard to miss Courtney Fortson tearing across the Wal-Mart parking lot towards 6th st.

Yeah, but he would probably run too far and run right into the cops.

Oliver

Quote from: sylvia on March 12, 2009, 01:53:49 pm
"
Don't know why, but that mental image is pretty funny...

Probably because it reminds me of Whoopi Goldberg running away from the villain in Ghost.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: kingofdequeen on March 12, 2009, 12:25:08 pm
BS. - i got a call into my homediggity at WM Corp in Asset Protection to get the biblical truth...will update when i receive it.

The 25 dollar limit is the key to all of this.

kingofdequeen

I believe it...we are t-3rd in the ESS EEE CEE for steals per game.

weak.

Hawgndaaz

here's one of several articles i found that says they only prosecute if the value is $25 or more.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/13/news/companies/walmart_shoplifters/index.htm
July 13 2006: 7:22 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Wal-Mart is moving away from what it called a zero-tolerance policy on prosecuting shoplifters and will now only prosecute anyone caught taking merchandise worth $25 or more, according to a published report.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Hogs-In-My-Heart on March 12, 2009, 11:44:02 am
I would love to see Corliss as a UofA assistant coach.

why? Because he is Corliss?

Has he recruited one single big-time prospect to an NCAA university in his life?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Hogs-In-My-Heart

Quote from: drakehog on March 12, 2009, 02:40:04 pm

Has he recruited one single big-time prospect to an NCAA university in his life?

Obviously because he is Corliss has something to do with it, but mainly because I think young players would respond to him and respect him.

elksnort

Let's see.

Corliss Williamson or Tom Ostrom?

Hhmmm?????

jst01

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on March 12, 2009, 02:35:42 pm
here's one of several articles i found that says they only prosecute if the value is $25 or more.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/13/news/companies/walmart_shoplifters/index.htm
July 13 2006: 7:22 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Wal-Mart is moving away from what it called a zero-tolerance policy on prosecuting shoplifters and will now only prosecute anyone caught taking merchandise worth $25 or more, according to a published report.

hmmm.

nabbing a $12 twelve pack of Blue Moon: $00

swiping a $6 Digiorno Pizza: $00

snatching a $5 pack of Camel lights: $00

Getting caught stealing from Wal-mart, but goods only totaling $24.96 after tax: PRICELESS

want2be

Quote from: drakehog on March 12, 2009, 02:40:04 pm

It doesn't ake a rocket scientist to be a good recrutier.........good personality, respectfull and honest with parents, knowing how to close...and how much credit would he have with a championship ring and  pro career.

And in addtion to recruiting think how much he could help with the existing players who are having all kind of on the court and off court issues. Plus he has a great relationship with Nolan who I am sure wouldn't mind helping behind the scenes.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on March 12, 2009, 02:05:28 pm

i'll be darned.

Scoop'd again.

cdclark09

Corliss isn't the answer... half of the people want Pel fired for someone proven and experienced, but if he's not fired, then we should hire Corliss, who has ZERO coaching/recruiting experience.  I don't see the logic.  I'm not saying Corliss can't or won't be a good coach for us or anyone but I can't see him as the coaching change that would turn us around next year.

beachhawg

Just remember, this wasnt the first rodeo for some of the players involved.  At least one has been caught before.

Hogs-In-My-Heart

March 12, 2009, 04:06:32 pm #163 Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 04:12:00 pm by Hogs-In-My-Heart
Quote from: cdclark09 on March 12, 2009, 03:10:37 pm
Corliss isn't the answer... half of the people want Pel fired for someone proven and experienced, but if he's not fired, then we should hire Corliss, who has ZERO coaching/recruiting experience.  I don't see the logic.  I'm not saying Corliss can't or won't be a good coach for us or anyone but I can't see him as the coaching change that would turn us around next year.

Corliss is coaching now, so he does have a little experience; however, I think having someone the players can look up to and respect, someone they will play hard for, someone who sets an example for them to live by and helps shape their lives into something better is just as important as recruiting.  With that said, I think Corliss COULD be a positive in the recruiting area as well.  Everyone has to start somewhere.

Pork,

Quick question.  It seems that many of the problems you have with Pel aren't related to winning or losing, but the discipline problems and inconsistent treatment of players. Is this something that started in January or has it gone on all season? I know that as recently as early January you were a big Pel fan and supporter.

The Boar War

Doesn't Corliss coach at Arkansas Baptist Junior College?  I'm not saying it's the right move.  Nor do I believe a coach on the "hot seat" will decide to bring in a local legend.  But it does count for some experience for an assistant job.

cdclark09

Quote from: Hogs-In-My-Heart on March 12, 2009, 04:06:32 pm
I don't think anyone was talking about Corliss replacing Pelphrey as head coach; but as an assistant. 

but if he's not fired, then we should hire Corliss
No crap...

But the complaint is that we need proven experience coaches but then turn around and say we need to hire an assistant with no experience.

cdclark09

Quote from: The Boar War on March 12, 2009, 04:10:48 pm
Doesn't Corliss coach at Arkansas Baptist Junior College? 
Oh, didn't realize he was proven and experienced.  I forget they recruit against Texas and Florida and Auburn down there. You'd get better experience bringing in an AAU coach.

Hogs-In-My-Heart

But the complaint is that we need proven experience coaches but then turn around and say we need to hire an assistant with no experience.
[/quote]

Quote from: elksnort on March 12, 2009, 02:48:43 pm
Let's see.

Corliss Williamson or Tom Ostrom?

Hhmmm?????

What he said.....

Porkatarian

Quote from: Karma on March 12, 2009, 04:10:08 pm
Pork,

Quick question.  It seems that many of the problems you have with Pel aren't related to winning or losing, but the discipline problems and inconsistent treatment of players. Is this something that started in January or has it gone on all season? I know that as recently as early January you were a big Pel fan and supporter.

I still like Pel as a person.  I just think he's in over his head as our head coach.  The off the court disipline problems have been happening since before the Red White game.  In fact, the same parties involved then just happened to be at Wal-Mart together the night of this latest incident...

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Porkatarian

Corliss isn't the answer, but if he's not fired, then we should hire Corliss, who has ZERO coaching/recruiting experience.  I don't see the logic. .

Corliss had a very nice career in the NBA and is currently head coach at Arkansas Baptist.  I think he would make a GREAT asst coach for Pelphrey.  However, I was told today that Pelphrey will not fire Tom Ostrum under any circumstances.   

Porkatarian out...

jst01

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 12, 2009, 04:20:59 pm
In fact, the same parties involved then just happened to be at Wal-Mart together the night of this latest incident...

Thugs will attract other Thugs.

Hogs-In-My-Heart

Well crud.  It was a good idea while it lasted.

cdclark09

Quote from: Hogs-In-My-Heart on March 12, 2009, 04:16:23 pm
What he said.....
Fair enough but that's not really my point.  My point is how can you(not you, you. other people, you) say Pel got in over his head and he doesn't have the experience to do this, and then turn around and say we need to our assistants and hire a Razorback legend just because his names is Corliss and he doesn't really have any experience?  That doesn't make sense... seems to me if Pel is too inexperienced to do this alone, he needs to be hiring experienced assistants that have been around the block a few times.  Pel doesn't need to be teaching his assistants the ropes.  I'm not at all saying he wouldn't be a good addition to the staff, because I think he would be a positive addition, but if Pels lack of big time experience is one of our big concerns about him... bringing in even less experience coaches is exactly the opposite of what he needs to do at this point.

Razorod

Quote from: Hogs-In-My-Heart on March 12, 2009, 04:28:30 pm
Well crud.  It was a good idea while it lasted.
there are two other assistant coaches. pel may not feel as loyal to either one.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Buck Ocean

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 12, 2009, 04:20:59 pm
I still like Pel as a person.  I just think he's in over his head as our head coach.  The off the court disipline problems have been happening since before the Red White game.  In fact, the same parties involved then just happened to be at Wal-Mart together the night of this latest incident...

Porkatarian out...

So Montrell McDonald is still in town? Awesome.
Think like a Jedi

WilsonHog

Quote from: Porkatarian on March 12, 2009, 04:23:37 pm
However, I was told today that Pelphrey will not fire Tom Ostrum under any circumstances.  

Porkatarian out...

That could be a mistake.

hawgpharmer

Quote from: Mark [Scoop] Lericos on March 12, 2009, 02:05:28 pm
Thanks, Mark.  Some people won't listen to some on this board.

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 12, 2009, 04:35:35 pm
That could be a mistake.
Mistaken information, or a mistake by Pel if he refuses to fire Ostrum?

thirtythree

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on March 12, 2009, 08:48:04 am
huh.  i hadnt heard that one.

Of course it's another being started with no factual; basis and it's still up.

Please delete that post Mods.

athunt

I believe Corliss would improve any team in America if he was on the bench teaching and mentoring. Who better to exemplify being Nasty on the floor and getting it done off the floor.  He can show kids that you dont have to carry the same attitude you show on the court off the court.

As for recruiting, I dont know of a kid who plays basketball in Arkansas who doesnt know the phrase "Big Nasty" or who doesnt know who Corliss is.  With the upcoming superstars we have in this state, who better to send into their living room than an Arkansas legend.
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

WilsonHog

Quote from: Karma on March 12, 2009, 04:39:51 pm
Mistaken information, or a mistake by Pel if he refuses to fire Ostrum?

Mistake if he refuses to fire Ostrom.

Strikes me that a coach of a team that has lot 15 of 17 with as many off-court problems as we have ain't in much of a position to dictate terms.

Tomhog™

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 12, 2009, 04:53:21 pm

Strikes me that a coach of a team that has lot 15 of 17 with as many off-court problems as we have ain't in much of a position to dictate terms.

NOW LISTEN MISTER! They have only lost 14 of the last 16 so far!

jst01

Quote from: Tomhog™ on March 12, 2009, 04:54:56 pm
NOW LISTEN MISTER! They have only lost 14 of the last 16 so far!

ah, that quote will never get old. especially when you can picture Rick turning red in the face and yelling it.

idochog

Corliss had a very nice career in the NBA and is currently head coach at Arkansas Baptist.  I think he would make a GREAT asst coach for Pelphrey.  However, I was told today that Pelphrey will not fire Tom Ostrum under any circumstances.  

Porkatarian out...

That is my big problem w/ Ostrum and Pelphrey.  Ostrum is Pel's buddy and longtime friend which is a problem
I love Jesus!

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 12, 2009, 04:53:21 pm

I agree. You know, I still like Pel as a person too, and think that 5 years from now he could be a great coach once he gets his method and policy down.

BUT, if he doesn't get rid of Ostrom, I am out of the "I still like Pel as a person" crowd.

ruarealhogfan

We get it...you don't like Ostrum, but that's Pel's call...It's his job on the line & none of ours...Pretty much the same was said about Willy Robinson (he needed to be fired) but in the end it's the coaches call.

WilsonHog

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on March 12, 2009, 05:01:40 pm
We get it...you don't like Ostrum, but that's Pel's call...It's his job on the line & none of ours...Pretty much the same was said about Willy Robinson (he needed to be fired) but in the end it's the coaches call.

Sure it is.

Just as the consequences of any such call by Pel would be Jeff Long's call. That's how the chain of command works.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on March 12, 2009, 05:01:40 pm

No, folks wanted WR gone because we were getting smoked on defense for 3 weeks in a row at the beginning of the season.

1. Our defense improved throughout the season
2. Willy Robinson didn't get in fights with players.
3  It was his first season (Ostrom's 2nd)

klp1

Porkatarian out...

Unless this changes, my tickets will not be renewed

elksnort

What will Henry be doing tonight?

Having chips and dip in front of the tv watching the game. Playing some kind of video game, studying?

cdclark09

Quote from: klp1 on March 12, 2009, 05:31:36 pm

Unless this changes, my tickets will not be renewed
If he doesn't fire Ostrum you will not renew?

jst01

Quote from: ImHogginIt on March 12, 2009, 05:37:50 pm
So what. Let him go

Exactly. Unless you're the next Lebron, the Hogs dont have to have you.

savimbi2002

with Ostrum. I don't read the board as much as I should but I can't seem to find factual answers. I dont want to hear rumors or "I know" but can't tell. Why is he so disliked?

ConHawg

I wish Pel would do all of the talking during the timeouts.  He throws a word in edgewise but lets Ostrum do all the coaching.

Shut that little guy up and earn your millions!

Porkatarian

Quote from: savimbi2002 on March 12, 2009, 05:51:39 pm
with Ostrum. I don't read the board as much as I should but I can't seem to find factual answers. I dont want to hear rumors or "I know" but can't tell. Why is he so disliked?

Some don't like Ostrum because he ruined any chance we had of signing Ky Madden. 

Some don't like Ostrum b/c he has alienated the well respected Rob Evans, who won't be back next season.

Some don't like Ostrum because he didn't want to offer Jeremy Adams during the early signing period, only to offer him during the late signing period and then lose him to A&M.

Some don't like Ostrum b/c he whiffed on every major target he was recruiting during the only signing period.

Some don't like Ostrum for having to physically restrained from attacking Welsh prior to the Ole Miss game.  Some actually applaud him for that.

It doesn't matter.  Pelphrey has told those close to him that he will NOT fire Ostrum under any circumstances.

Porkatarian out...

savimbi2002

donewithdale

AD's should not force staff changes.  If they don't think their head coaches can manage their own assistants and the head coaches keep assistants that are detrimental to their program, the head coach should be held responsible and fired if necessary.  If Pel wants to be loyal to an asst that is hurting recruiting and the development of the team, he is putting himself and his wishes above the program and should have to deal with the consequences if his program isn't succeeding in spite of this assistant.  Did Long start telling DVH to change hitting coaches after we were at the top of the SEC in strikeouts and near the bottom in batting avg?  No because DVH is trusted as a leader.  Its a slippery slope when the AD meddles.