Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Henry isn't the only player in trouble...

Started by Porkatarian, March 11, 2009, 11:35:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshfieldhog

Well said tomhog, its clear to me that pel was not ready for the bigtime, I really hope long cuts the cord.

online-with-swine

I can live with having a rebuilding year and the mistakes that comes with having a youthfull team.  But lack of improvement on court is an issue and harks back to coaching.  Take into account all of the trouble off the court, team dissension and apparent lack of respect for the coach and what you have is a disaster.

Pel's job is safe if we suffer on court but have an upstanding team in society or if we have a good team and some trouble makers (sorry but that is the truth).  However, combine the off court drama with a poor showing on the hardwood and you get a coach looking for another job.

At this point keeping Pel is akin to hoping a tornado rips through a junkyard and magically assembles a 747.

Jeffcphog

If Pell is shown the door, I only hope all the "Problems" are shown the door also.  If we are going to start over then lets sweep the house clean and hope we can keep the few good players.

Razorod

i think a lot of what happens with regard to pel depends on who long would want/wants to be the coach.

if long wants Jaime Dixon, Mike Anderson or Capel from OU, now is the time to act. all three will either be at a new job next year or locked down with big contracts and buy outs after this season making it very expensive to bring them to Arkansas.

Dixon will lose Fields and Young (seniors), plus Blair is likely to go pro. Problem--style of play very different from what Hog roster is built for. Major, major overhaul would be necessary.

Anderson loses his primary two bigs--Carroll and Lyons, plus Bama may be interested meaning he'll either be at a new job or will have a serious new contract with Mizzou. Probably most seamless transition regarding roster.

Capel--don't know much about him. Would Long go after his AD mentor's coach? Capel's eyes are probably on the Duke job. OU will look to lock him down after monster season.

If Long has other people in mind, he may well be able to be patient and give Pel a season or two more.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

psooie

Pel's recruiting and coaching are the problem...nobody else to blame.

Hogimus Prime

i think i have this figured out after using my decoder ring

Pel shows favortism to Fortson,by not suspending him when he breaks the rules and the rest of the team resents that, so there for the rest of the team does not listen to Pel.

Henry and Welsh are also part of the problem

Washington won't be back next.

Powell and Farmer might not be eligible.

Rob Evans won't return as an assistant.

donewithdale

Quote from: Razorod on March 12, 2009, 08:20:23 am
i think a lot of what happens with regard to pel depends on who long would want/wants to be the coach.

if long wants Jaime Dixon, Mike Anderson or Capel from OU, now is the time to act. all three will either be at a new job next year or locked down with big contracts and buy outs after this season making it very expensive to bring them to Arkansas.

Dixon will lose Fields and Young (seniors), plus Blair is likely to go pro. Problem--style of play very different from what Hog roster is built for. Major, major overhaul would be necessary.

Anderson loses his primary two bigs--Carroll and Lyons, plus Bama may be interested meaning he'll either be at a new job or will have a serious new contract with Mizzou. Probably most seamless transition regarding roster.

Capel--don't know much about him. Would Long go after his AD mentor's coach? Capel's eyes are probably on the Duke job. OU will look to lock him down after monster season.

If Long has other people in mind, he may well be able to be patient and give Pel a season or two more.

Major upgrade is necessary for our roster anyway.  We have so many holes and probably open scholarships, these coaches will have their players in place soon. 

Out of these 3 choices, Capel would be the best fit. He has built relationships in this region especially Oklahoma and Texas which are producing a lot of high level recruits.  As far as the Duke job, Dawkins would be in line in front of him unless he screws up Stanford.

Dixon has done a nice job.  He also got a program on strong footing from Ben Howland and has a great region from which to recruit being in and near so many eastern cities.

I've expressed my thoughts on Coach A.  I'm ok if we want to go ahead and get this experiment behind us so we can have some closure.  Three things could happen and two of them are good:  he wins a lot and makes 99% of us happy, his recruiting continues as it is now with 3 star level players with an occasional talented relative and he doesn't win which will finally put this to bed and we can have closure, or the worst thing and that is his recruiting is just good enough to go along with his coaching to allow us to get into the NCAAT most seasons and win a game every few years which would not be great but not enough to fire him. 

Razorod

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on March 12, 2009, 08:41:26 am

Pel shows favortism to Fortson,by not suspending him when he breaks the rules and the rest of the team resents that, so there for the rest of the team does not listen to Pel.

Don't forget R. Clarke to transfer to Tulsa.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Razorod on March 12, 2009, 08:45:19 am
Don't forget R. Clarke to transfer to Tulsa.

huh.  i hadnt heard that one.

cosmodrum

Alright, undergrads! Ya better be working on your bball skills, cuz methinks we're gonna be looking for a few walk-ons next year!

This is effing terrible. And sad. We have Bud Walton arena and one of the winningest programs of all-time, and we might not be able to start 5 scholarship players next season.

I hope the golfa is a balla...
Go away, batin'

Razorod

Quote from: donewithdale on March 12, 2009, 08:45:05 am
Major upgrade is necessary for our roster anyway.  We have so many holes and probably open scholarships, these coaches will have their players in place soon. 

Out of these 3 choices, Capel would be the best fit. He has built relationships in this region especially Oklahoma and Texas which are producing a lot of high level recruits.  As far as the Duke job, Dawkins would be in line in front of him unless he screws up Stanford.

Dixon has done a nice job.  He also got a program on strong footing from Ben Howland and has a great region from which to recruit being in and near so many eastern cities.

I've expressed my thoughts on Coach A.  I'm ok if we want to go ahead and get this experiment behind us so we can have some closure.  Three things could happen and two of them are good:  he wins a lot and makes 99% of us happy, his recruiting continues as it is now with 3 star level players with an occasional talented relative and he doesn't win which will finally put this to bed and we can have closure, or the worst thing and that is his recruiting is just good enough to go along with his coaching to allow us to get into the NCAAT most seasons and win a game every few years which would not be great but not enough to fire him. 
you are probably correct with Dawkins being in front of Capel. Also, I am not convinced Anderson is a Final Four caliber coach either. I like him, I honestly think he is a step up from Pel, but not sure he is capable of getting into that elite level of coaches.

hawgpharmer

Not saying Fortson hasn't done something wrong again....but didn't he get suspended for a game a few weeks back.  That kinda puts a hole in the theory that pel doesn't discipline everyone.  Fortson, as far as I was told, wasn't even accused of shoplifting at wal-mart.  Henry had less than $25 of merchandise so thats why he was let go but after a call to pel.  And Powers incident was a different incident all together.  I am just trying to figure out how all these pieces are fitting together like everyone on here is saying. 

Hog Milanese

All of this makes me want to puke.

There's no reason Arkansas basketball should've fallen this far in one year.

Hawgwild8988

Someone is lying with their mythical messages. One guy said that it was a campus police issue and the other said it happened at the 6th Street Walmart. Then later they both agree. So which is it?

want2be

Quote from: ImHogginIt on March 12, 2009, 09:15:03 am
If Fortson plays tonight I hope Pel is fired Friday am

Don't you think that Pel and Long have discussed the options ?

Kevin

if you fire pel now, don't look to hire any coach from the pitino/donovan coaching connection.  that tree has deep roots!

no to capel
no to dawkings(not any of the coach k coaches have won big)
no to anderson (don't look back)

i would say our ad's first call is to stillwater, he hired ford at eastern kentucky, when he says no, dixon will say no,

where do you turn? 
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: hawgpharmer on March 12, 2009, 09:18:09 am
Not saying Fortson hasn't done something wrong again....but didn't he get suspended for a game a few weeks back.  That kinda puts a hole in the theory that pel doesn't discipline everyone.  Fortson, as far as I was told, wasn't even accused of shoplifting at wal-mart.  Henry had less than $25 of merchandise so thats why he was let go but after a call to pel.  And Powers incident was a different incident all together.  I am just trying to figure out how all these pieces are fitting together like everyone on here is saying. 
Powers only had $50.  So why was he arrested and not Henry.  And why was Fortson allowed to pay for his merchandise that he was trying to steal while the others weren't?  Those are my main questions.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on March 12, 2009, 08:48:04 am
huh.  i hadnt heard that one.
All I will say is that a poster very close to Rotnei (if you read much, you'll know who I'm talking about) said that if Pel is not here next year, that he knows 1 player that will be transferring.  It was implied that it was Rotnei.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on March 12, 2009, 09:33:22 am
All I will say is that a poster very close to Rotnei (if you read much, you'll know who I'm talking about) said that if Pel is not here next year, that he knows 1 player that will be transferring.  It was implied that it was Rotnei.

Fantastic.
Go away, batin'

Hawgwild8988

and wasn't Henry suspended a long time before Powers was arrested?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on March 12, 2009, 08:41:26 am

wow, it works! Don't forget all the 420 this group blows through. Pel knows about that, too. Maybe Coach E will stay as Interim.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

board

Quote from: Hawgwild8988 on March 12, 2009, 09:48:12 am
and wasn't Henry suspended a long time before Powers was arrested?

Powers was released 3/10/2009 at 22:02.

cdclark09

To sum this thread up...

stuff might hit the fan as early as tomorrow morning.

Porkatarian

Quote from: Hawgwild8988 on March 12, 2009, 09:29:47 am
Someone is lying with their mythical messages. One guy said that it was a campus police issue and the other said it happened at the 6th Street Walmart. Then later they both agree. So which is it?

No I said you could ask the campus police and they could tell you who it was.  They've been called out numerous times to respond to something a certain basketball player was doing.  Of course, every time it has been swept under the rug.  I hear they're not too happy about it. 

You are correct that the incident the other night with Player A and Henry happened at Walmart.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Porkatarian

Quote from: cdclark09 on March 12, 2009, 09:57:27 am
To sum this thread up...

Pel's job is safe from what I hear.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

Hogbody

if Henry and "player A" were both in trouble for the same thing, then they need to both be suspended

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: cdclark09 on March 12, 2009, 09:57:27 am
To sum this thread up...

or it might not.

josh_sec33

Well, until I see a massive sweeping statement and a ton of things gets shifted around, I don't plan on being involved in the basketball team for a while.

Thank goodness for baseball season. :D

AND SPRING FOOTBALL!
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

WilsonHog

March 12, 2009, 10:08:01 am #128 Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 10:13:54 am by WilsonHog
Quote from: Porkatarian on March 12, 2009, 10:02:07 am
They've been called out numerous times to respond to something a certain basketball player was doing.  Of course, every time it has been swept under the rug.   

I can confirm this independently of Pork.

Hog Milanese

If we lose Rotnei, I won't tune in next year. He's the only player of the current group I actually want to stick around.

Oliver

Quote from: Hog Milanese on March 12, 2009, 10:22:07 am
If we lose Rotnei, I won't tune in next year. He's the only player of the current group I actually want to stick around.

I don't want Rotnei to go, but if it means that Pel goes to, so be it.  Unfortunately, I doubt Pel goes anywhere so maybe at least Rotnei staying will be the good that comes from that.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: hawgpharmer on March 12, 2009, 09:18:09 am

First off, I am almost positive WalMart prosecutes shoplifters if it is $5 or more. Now, there's also a great chance someone at walmart did not know the football player but knew the basketball player that hypothetically could have been with him. It could have been as simple as one got busted, the other was with him but saw he was in trouble and turned around and paid for his stuff. Or, once outside the door WalMart employees won't chase you down so he could have made a dash for it.

Bottom line is, not henry or any other player has shown up on the detainee list so no crime was charged. Which makes me think maybe they just called their parents/coach because they knew who these athletes were, so it was handled "in  house".

This is all speculation on my part. I am basing it  on what the folks in the know are telling us.

Hawgon

As far as why some things may have been handled differently. 

I'm just speculating but it may have gone something like this.  Powers is a football player and a relatively unknown one.  His face is not familiar.  His name even isn't familiar unless you are a real fan of the program.  He was just an anonymous black dude caught shoplifting.  Of course, he was arrested.

Henry is not all that recognizable and he isn't one of the stars of the team.  While he wasn't arrested, they did not pretend that he didn't shoplift.

Courtney Fortson is the biggest star on the team and with his hair, the most recognizable athlete on campus.  Of course, he wasn't arrested. 

"Hey, Courtney, you forgot to pay for all that stuff in your pockets.  Let's ring that up for you, man."

Hogs-In-My-Heart

How do we know that Fortson even knew the others had shoplifted.  Maybe he paid for his merchandise and never even intended to shoplift.  We would have to know the order in which this went down to know for sure if Fortson is guilty of anything.  He has been suspended before and I can't imagine him not being suspended if he actually shoplifted.  If he isn't suspended, maybe it is because he didn't do anything wrong, but was with someone who did.  Just speculating. 

want2be

Why have the campus cops been called to respond to with Fortson ??

I am sure Long is in the knowledgeable of all this stuff and he and Pel have probably spoken quite often. Since Long is in the loop, Pel will get at least two more years. I would imagine Long will have specific goals that will need to be reached......I hope the first sign of change is two new assistant coaches who can mentor and recruit.

Hogs-In-My-Heart

I would love to see Corliss as a UofA assistant coach.

Biggus Piggus

This is why I had hoped Pelphrey would not recruit on the wrong side of the tracks and was disappointed when it became obvious that's almost all he has done.
[CENSORED]!

hawgpharmer

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on March 12, 2009, 10:58:01 am
First off, I am almost positive WalMart prosecutes shoplifters if it is $5 or more.

This is all speculation on my part. I am basing it  on what the folks in the know are telling us.

Nope, limit is $25 trust me.  And the last part where u say speculation is what is killing me!!!!  These random "accusations" are thrown out followed by "just call someone if u want to know more".  If someone wants to accuse someone, then put it out there.  It is very irresponsible to do what the mods have done IMHO.  It has created so many theories that probably couldn't be further from the truth

Brian the Turrible

Nope don't trust him. Walmart prosecutes shoplifters between the ages of 14 and 62 who steal something valued at $3  or more. The store manager can decide to prosecute or not even outside of those guidelines. No matter what they are banned from all Wlamart and Sam' Club properties. That includes Murphy gas stations that are located on the property. If caught they can then be prosecuted for criminal trespass.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

kingofdequeen

Quote from: hawgpharmer on March 12, 2009, 11:57:08 am
Nope, limit is $25 trust me.  And the last part where u say speculation is what is killing me!!!!  These random "accusations" are thrown out followed by "just call someone if u want to know more".  If someone wants to accuse someone, then put it out there.  It is very irresponsible to do what the mods have done IMHO.  It has created so many theories that probably couldn't be further from the truth

BS. - i got a call into my homediggity at WM Corp in Asset Protection to get the biblical truth...will update when i receive it.

Hogs-In-My-Heart

What do they do with shoplifters over the age of 62?

aristotle

Brian the Turrible

Quote from: Hogs-In-My-Heart on March 12, 2009, 12:25:35 pm
Sometimes nothing. Just retrieve the merchandise. Sometimes ban them. I have worked stores that were very rural and the only game in town so they didn't ban them. For the under 14, they cannot be in the store without a parent right beside them until they turn 18 is how most managers handled it.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

The Boar War

Quote from: Hogs-In-My-Heart on March 12, 2009, 12:25:35 pm

They take them out back and rough 'em up a bit.

Hogs-In-My-Heart

peakhog

We have 1 golfer on the team. Maybe we should be looking at the track guys. Who knows, there might be another Mike Conley over there!

RocknRollRazorback

Quote from: aristotle on March 12, 2009, 12:30:42 pm

Force them to be greeters.

Greeters FTW +1

Oh, and about the "maybe Fortson was out the door and couldn't be caught then" theory: I think that you can't just run out the door and they [Wal-Mart security] stop chasing you. You'd have to run off property, which would mean all the way into the street.
I'd bet it would be hard to miss Courtney Fortson tearing across the Wal-Mart parking lot towards 6th st. But that's just me.
"You're no rock and roll fun! Like a party that's over before it begun. You're no walk in the park- more like a shot in the dark with clues left for no one."

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

If they were all in wal-mart and one was trying to steal while the other was paying for his stuff are they trying to run a scam or something? Didn't someone say they had done this before and been caught?

sylvia

"
Quote from: RocknRollRazorback on March 12, 2009, 01:31:17 pm
I'd bet it would be hard to miss Courtney Fortson tearing across the Wal-Mart parking lot towards 6th st. But that's just me.

Don't know why, but that mental image is pretty funny...