Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 26, 2024, 11:59:58 am

RBs

Started by RazorPiggie, November 23, 2014, 01:22:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bennyl08

Quote from: havok on November 24, 2014, 09:02:21 am
I have a feeling the Number 1 RB Recruit will be an all hands on deck, to re-recruit J-Will into staying..like they did for Trey Flowers.

That would be very good for the team if they did.

From a business decision, JWill stands nothing to gain from staying his senior season. There is nothing left to show NFL scouts. Yes, there will be a ton of great RB's in this draft, but Williams would be right there with them. Getting drafted a little later isn't the economic hit it once was, and with the value of a RB in the NFL right now, no sense taking a year off of your career to play in college.

At the same time, Williams has been a big supporter of the UA, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him stay for his senior season and really reap what he has helped to build here with a chance to be part of something special his last year, not to mention getting a degree.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Steef

Benny's right.

I hate it (not that Benny's right), but JWill has nothing left to prove. He's already proved it.

Would love for him to stay. But the smart decision is to go.

The Hogfather

Quote from: steefhog on November 25, 2014, 12:25:55 am
Benny's right.

I hate it (not that Benny's right), but JWill has nothing left to prove. He's already proved it.

Yep.  Unfortunately, this is the truth.  I would LOVE to have him back, though.

Tim Harris

Benny's right.

If he is my son I would tell him to go.  A RB career is short enough anyways and can be over in one carry.  With nothing left to prove I would be going to get my paycheck.

KeithStone

Quote from: secneahog on November 24, 2014, 09:14:00 am
Jwill will be back
AC
Evans is a good rb BB really likes Evans. So that's all you need to know. 
Day. 
Rw3

5 is okay, 7 is better knowing we want to run the ball more than 500 times during the regular season. I think you're missing Kody Walker onthat list, who has been good this year.

secneahog

Quote from: KeithStone on November 25, 2014, 10:10:37 am
5 is okay, 7 is better knowing we want to run the ball more than 500 times during the regular season. I think you're missing Kody Walker onthat list, who has been good this year.

Walker is gone after this year.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

bigdaddyhawg

Benny's right.

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 25, 2014, 07:44:25 am
Yep.  Unfortunately, this is the truth.  I would LOVE to have him back, though.

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 25, 2014, 07:49:53 am
If he is my son I would tell him to go.  A RB career is short enough anyways and can be over in one carry.  With nothing left to prove I would be going to get my paycheck.

Do you guys think Trey Flowers regrets his decision to stay for his senior year?

Because his situation is very comparable to JWill's.  Neither guy was going to get drafted early, so the money early on would not be that great.  Yes, it would be NFL money, but that will be there next year as well.

And I think Trey might have improved his draft stock considerably.  If the Hogs make a big move next year, and improve our OL and overall offense, then JWill might have an even better year, like Trey did, and improve his draft stock as well.

And I think JWill and Trey are very similar in that they are team leaders and are very committed to the UA and helping build this program.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Tim Harris

Quote from: secneahog on November 25, 2014, 10:16:25 am

Where is he going?  The roster online says he is a Junior.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: secneahog on November 25, 2014, 10:16:25 am

Why?  He's a junior right now.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

secneahog

You only have one senior season in college also. Jwill could finally go out on top if he came back next year. Another year under Herbert wouldn't hurt, show his durability since he had back surgery at one time. He's not getting all the carries on this team. We know when to take a player out. He won't be banged up after his senior season.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Wildhog

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 25, 2014, 10:17:36 am

Yeah, he'll be back next year.  And while it's apparently trendy to hate on Kody, I think he'll be a solid contributor next season.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

secneahog

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 25, 2014, 10:17:36 am

My bad. Without googling it I thought he was senior this year. My bad..........

logand02

Walker is a Red Shirt Junior

Wildhog

This.

It's not like his draft stock is really going to get any higher.  The NFL isn't valuing RB's like they used to, anyway.
1909/1964/1965/1977

secneahog

Quote from: Wildhog on November 25, 2014, 10:19:31 am
Yeah, he'll be back next year.  And while it's apparently trendy to hate on Kody, I think he'll be a solid contributor next season.

Well I wasn't doing that at all. I've never trashed kody walker.

Tim Harris

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 25, 2014, 10:17:04 am
Do you guys think Trey Flowers regrets his decision to stay for his senior year?

Because his situation is very comparable to JWill's.  Neither guy was going to get drafted early, so the money early on would not be that great.  Yes, it would be NFL money, but that will be there next year as well.

And I think Trey might have improved his draft stock considerably.  If the Hogs make a big move next year, and improve our OL and overall offense, then JWill might have an even better year, like Trey did, and improve his draft stock as well.

And I think JWill and Trey are very similar in that they are team leaders and are very committed to the UA and helping build this program.

DL & RB are completely different positions.  It is all going to depend on his grade but if they say he is a 2-3 round pick then I would go if I was him.  There aren't many RB going that high in the draft so the chances of him moving up from that grade would be slim.  Also he is going to share carries with Collins.  Everyone would love for him to stay and I could see him back next year but it also wouldn't surprise me to see him go.

secneahog

Quote from: Wildhog on November 25, 2014, 10:20:29 am
This.

It's not like his draft stock is really going to get any higher.  The NFL isn't valuing RB's like they used to, anyway.

Wildhog is a NFL scout now. Man you do it all...

Wildhog

Quote from: secneahog on November 25, 2014, 10:22:40 am
Wildhog is a NFL scout now. Man you do it all...

I get bored with all this brain power.  Have to branch out.
1909/1964/1965/1977

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Tim Harris on November 25, 2014, 10:21:34 am
DL & RB are completely different positions.  It is all going to depend on his grade but if they say he is a 2-3 round pick then I would go if I was him. 

Although, yes, they are different positions, isn't this exactly the draft analysis that was on Trey?

And there's been discussions that Trey has worked his way up into late first or early second.

And, yes, JWill will be sharing carries, but he still has gained over a 1,000 this year.  What if next year he got 1,400, and got a chance to catch the ball out of the backfield more?

And if the Hogs were to have a significantly better year, then they'd be discussed more, get more prime time focus, etc., and I believe that would also help him move up draft lists.

I think the case could possibly be made he could improve his draft stock as well.  Probably not as dramatically as Trey has, but I don't think it's a true comment to say "there's nothing to be gained".

KeithStone

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 25, 2014, 10:33:09 am
Although, yes, they are different positions, isn't this exactly the draft analysis that was on Trey?

And there's been discussions that Trey has worked his way up into late first or early second.

And, yes, JWill will be sharing carries, but he still has gained over a 1,000 this year.  What if next year he got 1,400, and got a chance to catch the ball out of the backfield more?

And if the Hogs were to have a significantly better year, then they'd be discussed more, get more prime time focus, etc., and I believe that would also help him move up draft lists.

I think the case could possibly be made he could improve his draft stock as well.  Probably not as dramatically as Trey has, but I don't think it's a true comment to say "there's nothing to be gained".

I think it depends on where he's at now and what chance he has at moving up.
Late 1st Rders can get in the neighborhood of 4yrs and 7-9MM, the second round is lucrative as well, 4 and 4-6MM, $MM+ a year is worth sticking around for if he can show that ability to pickup more yds per carry against SEC opponents. Once you fall into that 3-7 rd range, you're making in the neighborhood of $400K - $700K a year for 4 with no guaranteed money, so improving from a 6th to a 4th rd pick isn't exactly worth sticking around for.

Oklahawg

Speculation on JWill and AC (or any other roster member) is enough to value an extra RB recruit.

Gosh, would they take two more if difference makers landed in their laps?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: KeithStone on November 25, 2014, 10:51:23 am
I think it depends on where he's at now and what chance he has at moving up.
Late 1st Rders can get in the neighborhood of 4yrs and 7-9MM, the second round is lucrative as well, 4 and 4-6MM, $MM+ a year is worth sticking around for if he can show that ability to pickup more yds per carry against SEC opponents. Once you fall into that 3-7 rd range, you're making in the neighborhood of $400K - $700K a year for 4 with no guaranteed money, so improving from a 6th to a 4th rd pick isn't exactly worth sticking around for.

Good post.

It seems to be this is not a good year for him to come out, considering there seems to be a ton of much higher profile RB's that will be coming out.

I have no idea if next year might look better as far as RB's coming out, but this year there seems to be a lot of really good ones.

Letsroll1200

We need a explosive running back in the backfield.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 25, 2014, 11:01:53 am
Speculation on JWill and AC (or any other roster member) is enough to value an extra RB recruit.

Gosh, would they take two more if difference makers landed in their laps?

I think if J-Will believes he has a future in the NFL he should enter the draft this year. There is a lot of film on J-Will the past three years and he should not risk injury playing his senior year. If he loves the college game and want to be apart of something special at Arkansas stay and play his senior season.

redleg

November 25, 2014, 11:15:08 am #74 Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:30:28 am by redleg
There is a decent chance that Jonathon Williams leaves early after this season. That will leave Alex Collins as the starter. I would look for Juan Day and Denzel Evans to vie for the back up spot in the spring, and Rawleigh Williams to come in during pre-season practice and light things up. That kid is awesome! How he is not at least a 4-star recruit?!
Bielema has said that he wants to take one more RB in the 2015 class...as of now, that looks like it's going to be either Patrick Carr or Charles West. If Day and Evans can provide some quality minutes behind Collins, and if Rawleigh is as good as billed, whoever signs (Carr or West) will probably redshirt.
I think Rawleigh is the next great RB for Arkansas. He's fast, shifty, a beast between the tackles, and he just has a natural feel for the position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxk7IlRolZA

RB depth chart heading into Game 1 in 2015 if J-Will leaves:
1 - Alex Collins
2 - Rawleigh Williams
3 - Juan Day
4 - Denzel Evans
Kody Walker will get some carries for short yardage and late in games, but he will mostly be a FB.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

KeithStone

Quote from: redleg on November 25, 2014, 11:15:08 am
There is a decent chance that Jonathon Williams leaves early after this season. That will leave Alex Collins as the starter. I would look for Juan Day and Denzel Evans to vie for the back up spot in the spring, and Rawleigh Williams to come in during pre-season practice and light things up. That kid is awesome! How he is not at least a 4-star recruit?!
Bielema has said that he wants to take one more RB in the 2015 class...as of now, that looks like it's going to be either Patrick Carr or Charles West. If Day and Evans can provide some quality minutes behind Collins, and if Rawleigh is as good as billed, whoever signs (Carr or West) will probably redshirt.
I think Rawleigh is the next great RB for Arkansas. He's fast, shifty, a beast between the tackles, and he just has a natural feel for the position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxk7IlRolZA

RB depth chart heading into Game 1 in 2015 if J-Will leaves:
1 - Alex Collins
2 - Rawleigh Williams
3 - Juan Day
4 - Denzel Evans
Kody Walker will get some carries for short yardage and late in games, but he will mostly be a FB.

I've seen some stuff on that giant kid out of Missouri(?) I would love to get a punisher like that to go with RW or another JWill like kid that runs with an anger! Run over 'em and run around 'em, makes prepping that much more difficult.

hawgwash

Not to argue with those saying JWill can/should go pro after this year, because for the most part I agree, but one other factor favoring staying is he could get insurance for injury.  There was a story just this last week about a player who got seriously hurt.  He had a policy that paid something like $1 million if he got hurt and was not a first round pick.  Obviously the insurance company has to underwrite each player individually, but it takes away some of the downside risk of staying.  I think the article I read also said the school can pay for the policy, and it sounded like this is a recent change. 

Wildhog

Oh, if he comes back, you better believe he'll be insured.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Tim Harris

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on November 25, 2014, 10:33:09 am

This has been mentioned before but the problem is RBs just don't get drafted as high anymore.  His grade is most likely going to stay around the same regardless of what happens.  Here is the breakdown for RBs taken in each round the last 2 drafts.

1 - 0
2 - 3
3 - 5
4 - 6
5 - 0
6 - 4
7 - 2

1 - 0
2 - 5
3 - 1
4 - 2
5 - 5
6 - 7
7 - 3

Wildhog

"Oh, look at Tim Harris.  Apparently he's an NFL scout now.  Derp."
1909/1964/1965/1977

Tim Harris

Quote from: Wildhog on November 25, 2014, 01:27:30 pm
"Oh, look at Tim Harris.  Apparently he's an NFL scout now.  Derp."

This should not have been as funny as it was. I'm still laughing and my son is looking at me like Dad this Mickey cartoon isn't even funny.

choppedporkextrasauce

Word is Day has the coaches smiling over his redshirt period. I liked him more than AT.

ricepig

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on November 25, 2014, 02:44:32 pm
Word is Day has the coaches smiling over his redshirt period. I liked him more than AT.

The game I saw him play against our high school team, he was the better of the two, but that was just one night.

tophawg19

the only way day doesn't play is if he gets hurt again , or transfers . other wise he will play
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

pigskenG

Williams and Collins remind me of Felix Jones, quick feet and pick their way through the line until they break free.  A Darren McFadden type that is a slashing runner with speed would be a nice addition.

Hoggish1

Jwill's stock will never be higher.  No reason to stay.  Running backs have a shelf life.  The clock has been ticking for him since grade school.

Lucky he didn't have nuts as his coach who would have given him all the touches and wore him out, but has CBB who uses two RBs.  He needs to weigh it carefully because the clock is ticking...

texas tush hog

Quote from: razorfrog on November 24, 2014, 01:23:02 pm
Day will never play RB here

No, but Williams III will, maybe sooner rather than later. Not supposed to be a burner, but nobody ever catches him or even keeps from losing ground, probably has game speed.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hoggish1 on November 26, 2014, 08:35:48 pm
Jwill's stock will never be higher. 

There is no way in the world you know that is fact.

First, you don't have a clue how he's currently rated my NFL scouts.  And, second, you don't have any idea what his senior year could look like.

justmaybe

I would still like to get the kid from LR breaking all the records. He is small but so were a few others in the sec.  But I just don't think he fits the system , hard to get him in the backfield where he can catch balls in space. Those backs in this system have to be all around guys.

The_Bionic_Pig

Arkansas coaches are focused on a pure speed-back unless a can't miss falls into their laps (decomitt)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Pig in the Pokey

absolutely, me too. As a Dad.  However, if i was jwill and my Dad told me that, I'd say, "My bad, Pops. No can do. It's all about that Woooooo, pig suey!"
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hoggish1 on November 26, 2014, 08:35:48 pm
Jwill's stock will never be higher.  No reason to stay.  Running backs have a shelf life.  The clock has been ticking for him since grade school.

Lucky he didn't have nuts as his coach who would have given him all the touches and wore him out, but has CBB who uses two RBs.  He needs to weigh it carefully because the clock is ticking...
ludicrous. You could have told Melvin Gordon that last year, too. #he'sa1stroundernow
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

MrKlem10

Kendall Bussey has re-opened his recruitment after the firing of Bo at Nebraska.  Any chances?

The_Iceman

Quote from: MrKlem10 on December 01, 2014, 12:04:55 pm
Kendall Bussey has re-opened his recruitment after the firing of Bo at Nebraska.  Any chances?

http://247sports.com/Player/Kendall-Bussey-24023

We don't really have a back like him. He would be a nice addition

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: MrKlem10 on December 01, 2014, 12:04:55 pm

Tenner or a&m seem to be the new favorites

1highhog

I bet DMac wishes he was back on the Hill behind our OLine, didn't he already sign to stay with the Raiders?  Dumb move D, you're getting killed up there man, should go to another team just to reinvent your career while you can still walk.

The Raiders, where good players go to die.

emdavenp

Quote from: 1highhog on December 01, 2014, 02:41:38 pm
I bet DMac wishes he was back on the Hill behind our OLine, didn't he already sign to stay with the Raiders?  Dumb move D, you're getting killed up there man, should go to another team just to reinvent your career while you can still walk.

The Raiders, where good players go to die.

If I recall, he only signed a 1 year deal. So he's a free agent again this offseason. Then again, he may have signed a multi-year deal. I don't think he did though.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Wildhog on November 25, 2014, 10:19:31 am

He's a very solid RB.  I agree with you.