Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fayetteville ranked 5th best place to live in the country according to us news

Started by FATHAWG08, February 13, 2018, 09:25:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

j-mann

Quote from: ricepig on February 15, 2018, 10:02:25 am
Tell me, I don't drive down Stadium in Jonesboro, after 3pm, and never at Christmas shopping time. It was mostly a joke, I just so thankful for the Vilonia bypass and all the 4 lane improvements. It's just a let down after being in the left lane with the hammerdown.

a fellow jonesboro person   nice to meet u   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

j-mann

i wouild move to NW arkansas  in a minute  if i had more $
jonesboro is ok  but in the last 5-10 years  some try to make razorbacks fans ashmed  of liked  our team  and that tickes me off
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 18, 2018, 07:25:42 am
I've had so called super sales people conduct training classes in some conventions I've attended. I was never impressed by them. I know about consulting it's one of the things I do now.

Tom Hopkins and Brian Tracy are not normal, ordinary sales trainers.

The last year he was in real estate, Hopkins sold 365 houses that year, the equivalent of one each day.  Grand total, he closed 1,553 real estate transactions in a period of six years.

Athog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on February 14, 2018, 01:39:50 am
Unfortunately, football recruiting is similar to my reasons for not moving to NW Arkansas.

Too far from the family. 4 hours away is still 4 hours away.

Well moving in this day and age is the National way. Maybe not for Mayberry but most jobs and business require mobility.  Good gracious it takes people an hour to hour and a half to travel in most metro areas to go to work.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 20, 2018, 10:34:00 pm
Tom Hopkins and Brian Tracy are not normal, ordinary sales trainers.

The last year he was in real estate, Hopkins sold 365 houses that year, the equivalent of one each day.  Grand total, he closed 1,553 real estate transactions in a period of six years.

There are a bunch of "super" sales people that do training.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 21, 2018, 06:42:32 am
There are a bunch of "super" sales people that do training.

And that "Training" is their biggest racket to date. $600 a pop for the same old courses mixed with 2% of their personal experience and some suckers paying up hoping that they can learn a magic way to avoid working 16 hours a day cold calling or chasing down people on car lots like free safeties...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 21, 2018, 07:10:57 am
And that "Training" is their biggest racket to date. $600 a pop for the same old courses mixed with 2% of their personal experience and some suckers paying up hoping that they can learn a magic way to avoid working 16 hours a day cold calling or chasing down people on car lots like free safeties...

You got that right. Heck those guys make more doing that training racket then they do selling. That's why they do it.

About the only thing comparable as a racket are motivational speakers.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

(notOM)Rebel123

Per Richard Davenport's column today....

Fayetteville recently was named the fifth-best place to live in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, something Hopper noticed.

"Once I came out here, I instantly had a home feeling. Fayetteville is the fifth-best city where to live. Once I saw everything, it backed that up and I said OK."
......Travis Hopper, DL commit from Memphis

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

The NewEra

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 25, 2018, 09:31:09 am

Fayetteville recently was named the fifth-best place to live in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, something Hopper noticed.

"Once I came out here, I instantly had a home feeling. Fayetteville is the fifth-best city where to live. Once I saw everything, it backed that up and I said OK."

I love it!!

hawgon

Stop it, just stop it.  We know this isn't true.  The braintrust around these parts has repeatedly informed us that young black kids from urban environments such as Memphis care nothing about these sorts of things.

ricepig

It ain't Orange Mound, but it's a start. The vast majority of these kids want to play in the SEC and get an education, if possible. It's not big city inner city nightlife, but few spots in the SEC are.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawgon on February 25, 2018, 09:53:41 am
Stop it, just stop it.  We know this isn't true.  The braintrust around these parts has repeatedly informed us that young black kids from urban environments such as Memphis care nothing about these sorts of things.

Given time I could probably name about 100 or so young black athletes that played for the Hogs in various sports from urban environments. Heck I know personally of a few that even mentioned they knew they had to get out of that environment or they might end up in jail or dead.

The NewEra

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 25, 2018, 10:11:02 am
Given time I could probably name about 100 or so young black athletes that played for the Hogs in various sports from urban environments. Heck I know personally of a few that even mentioned they knew they had to get out of that environment or they might end up in jail or dead.
To your point, it sure seems a great many folks vastly underestimate a young black man's desire to live somewhere other than the hood.  For many recruits, football is their ticket to do just that, while achieving many other goals they might have.  You are, or will become, what you associate yourself with.  If I were a young black man who lived in a bad neighborhood or city, I would want to live in a predominantly white, very cosmopolitan, Christian, welcoming, upscale city and integrate into that lifestyle.  Many former black Razorbacks have and it's served them well for the most part.  The days of black's being second class citizens has long sense passed and these young kids know that for the most part.

hoglady

Per Richard Davenport’s column today....

“Once I came out here, I instantly had a home feeling. Fayetteville is the fifth-best city where to live. Once I saw everything, it backed that up and I said OK.”

I am back to apologize and eat my dose of crow.
I really didn't think this would help recruiting at all.
Well - a recruit mentioning it when discussing his decision is all you really need to see.
I couldn't have been more wrong.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

rtr

You have to use every tool you have at your disposal.  If Fayetteville and NW Arkansas are ranked that high in livability, you have to be a fool not use it as a selling point.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: rtr on February 25, 2018, 12:20:59 pm
You have to use every tool you have at your disposal.  If Fayetteville and NW Arkansas are ranked that high in livability, you have to be a fool not use it as a selling point.
Totally agree. Heck, any smart and well run organization will use every tool at its disposal, every opportunity to show itself in the best light. To use everything they can to attract the best and brightest. While it obviously won't appeal to every kid out there-the ones that ARE focused on the bright lights of the big city, the beach, etc.,-I also suspect there are plenty of QUALITY recruits who are just as interested in the "quality of life/community environment aspects of a college surroundings. 

ambien_sky

Well,  I live in Fayetteville, and it's a nice place to live for several reasons,  but I am not so sure it's a great place for teenagers and kids if you want to have fun.  I have a fourteen-year-old daughter,  and every weekend she goes skating at starlight,  as well as most of her friends.  This last Saturday, when I dropped her off,  I realized that it's the only thing for teenagers to do to together as a group in the whole town.  The city pool in Fayetteville is almost laughable for the towns size.  Other than that,  unless you consider bowling or a round of miniature golf over and over again fun.  It does get old.  The town needs more things for families,kids, and teens to do for fun.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ambien_sky on February 26, 2018, 07:13:05 pm
Well,  I live in Fayetteville, and it's a nice place to live for several reasons,  but I am not so sure it's a great place for teenagers and kids if you want to have fun.  I have a fourteen-year-old daughter,  and every weekend she goes skating at starlight,  as well as most of her friends.  This last Saturday, when I dropped her off,  I realized that it's the only thing for teenagers to do to together as a group in the whole town.  The city pool in Fayetteville is almost laughable for the towns size.  Other than that,  unless you consider bowling or a round of miniature golf over and over again fun.  It does get old.  The town needs more things for families,kids, and teens to do for fun.

You might need to drive a few miles north to Springdale or Benton County. Not so concerned with catering to the University crowd. FWIW.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

greasy_corner

What are you looking for that Fayetteville is missing?  I have three teens that love this place.  Between school, sports, shopping, friends, fishing, biking, eating, boating, etc...we barely have a minute to rest. 

They grew up in a "metro" area.  The only thing we are missing is professional sports, and really good ethnic restaurants. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: greasy_corner on February 26, 2018, 08:52:17 pm
What are you looking for that Fayetteville is missing?  I have three teens that love this place.  Between school, sports, shopping, friends, fishing, biking, eating, boating, etc...we barely have a minute to rest. 

They grew up in a "metro" area.  The only thing we are missing is professional sports, and really good ethnic restaurants. 

Bingo.

Inhogswetrust

Have you asked her what she likes to do that she can't? Teens are like adults in that they have varied interests for activities and things they like for fun. More than anything all they want is to have friends and hang out. Doesn't matter where sometimes. Her house, her friends house, movie theater, the mall, skating rink, mini golf, but the most common is the mall. At least it was in my days. Also there usually is some sort of event on weekends in a metro area even as small as the NWA one they might like. Plus at 14 spend as much time with her as you can because pretty soon she might not want to spend hardly any with her parents sorry to say.

ICEman

Quote from: HogHomer on February 14, 2018, 01:22:53 am
What is there to do close enough to Fayetteville for a teenager, if they grew up in a metropolitan area and aren't interested in the outdoors?

I think it's amazing that people have such a high opinion of Fayetteville but hoglady is right it isn't that big of a selling point.
That is the reason those football juggernauts in and around NYC win national championships every year.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

little pigee

Quote from: hoglady on February 25, 2018, 12:02:03 pm
I am back to apologize and eat my dose of crow.
I really didn't think this would help recruiting at all.
Well - a recruit mentioning it when discussing his decision is all you really need to see.
I couldn't have been more wrong.
+100 to the lady in red!
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

prattville pig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 21, 2018, 07:32:55 am
You got that right. Heck those guys make more doing that training racket then they do selling. That’s why they do it.

About the only thing comparable as a racket are motivational speakers.
I live in a van down by the river!
Life's too short to last long.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Karma on February 27, 2018, 10:56:53 am
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/iowa-claims-no-1-spot-on-2018-best-states-rankings-through-strong-infrastructure-health-care-and-education/ar-BBJEmO1

Iowa was just picked as the best state to live in the country. I guess the Hawkeyes have a long run of signing 5 stars ahead.
I don't get your sarcasm. Morris has publicly stated that his staff is using Fayetteville's livability ranking in recruiting and some of the recruits have mentioned it as a positive selling point after their visits. So what's the issue?

AirWarren

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 28, 2018, 03:23:37 pm
I don't get your sarcasm. Morris has publicly stated that his staff is using Fayetteville's livability ranking in recruiting and some of the recruits have mentioned it as a positive selling point after their visits. So what's the issue?

No issue. Just fact. Fayetteville has long been known as a nice place to live for "some". But it hasn't translated in MANY years as a place to consistently land top notch athletes like other real SEC country schools.

That's not an "issue". That's a fact.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 28, 2018, 03:23:37 pm

Some folks just wanna be mad

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on February 28, 2018, 03:30:29 pm
No issue. Just fact. Fayetteville has long been known as a nice place to live for "some". But it hasn't translated in MANY years as a place to consistently land top notch athletes like other real SEC country schools.

Fact is, we are a "real" SEC school, or haven't you noticed?

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on February 28, 2018, 03:40:53 pm
Fact is, we are a "real" SEC school, or haven't you noticed?

I'm referencing southeast cities, college towns, and fertile recruiting grounds. Things Fayetteville is out of touch with and has been impactful on our football program.

That's why I'm glad we got a Texas guy. I think we have a better shot at Texas kids than southeastern USA kids due to lack of familiarity and identity that the area of nwa provides for Deep South kids. .

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: AP85 on February 28, 2018, 03:30:29 pm

Well PERHAPS some of that might be the HC and staff involved. Just because we may have struggled in the past still doesn't change the fact of what NWA has been rated by a generally regarded publication. Get the accolades and high ranking and you use it to the best of your ability. That an "issue" with you!?

AirWarren

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 28, 2018, 03:58:12 pm
Well PERHAPS some of that might be the HC and staff involved. Just because we may have struggled in the past still doesn't change the fact of what NWA has been rated by a generally regarded publication. Get the accolades and high ranking and you use it to the best of your ability. That an "issue" with you!?

We will see. 32 years and counting for me and we are still a mid level program who's claim to fame is a dusty trophy in 1964 and a game Nixon watched personally that we lost.

I'll continue to sit and wait I suppose.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: AP85 on February 28, 2018, 03:51:55 pm
I'm referencing southeast cities, college towns, and fertile recruiting grounds. Things Fayetteville is out of touch with and has been impactful on our football program.

That's why I'm glad we got a Texas guy. I think we have a better shot at Texas kids than southeastern USA kids due to lack of familiarity and identity that the area of nwa provides for Deep South kids. .
Oh, and Fayetteville is out of touch (according to your opinion) ??? ::) :o Please elaborate ole Einstein and tell us all the horrible things that both Fayetteville and NWA have done to drive away/discourage kids to come to the Hill. I mean I'm sure the PTB would be totally fascinated and enthralled with your great insight and suggestions.

AirWarren

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 28, 2018, 04:00:58 pm
Oh, and Fayetteville is out of touch (according to your opinion) ??? ::) :o Please elaborate ole Einstein and tell us all the horrible things that both Fayetteville and NWA have done to drive away/discourage kids to come to the Hill. I mean I'm sure the PTB would be totally fascinated and enthralled with your great insight and suggestions.

I've made my points before.

I'll leave it be. And wait for us to become a true SEC contender.

Yippy dippy. Fayetteville is a good place to live. But so is Iowa apparently.

Show me translation on the football field. That's what we care about. Not what some Leslie Knope at a parks and recreation building feels about a town.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: AP85 on February 28, 2018, 03:59:55 pm
We will see. 32 years and counting for me and we are still a mid level program who's claim to fame is a dusty trophy in 1964 and a game Nixon watched personally that we lost.

I'll continue to sit and wait I suppose.
Well perhaps then you might want to take your schtick somewhere else. I mean since you've had to wait for 32 years (and counting). Would hate to continue seeing you waste your time and all.......And as far as that "dusty ole trophy", well at least we've got one. That's more than many programs can say.

AirWarren

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 28, 2018, 04:03:36 pm
Well perhaps then you might want to take your schtick somewhere else. I mean since you've had to wait for 32 years (and counting). Would hate to continue seeing you waste your time and all.......And as far as that "dusty ole trophy", well at least we've got one. That's more than many programs can say.

Almost like clockwork...."go find another team" bull crap.

Pathetic. 

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: AP85 on February 28, 2018, 04:01:59 pm
I've made my points before.

I'll leave it be. And wait for us to become a true SEC contender.
Well for those of us who were either not privileged enough or weren't around at the time you shared your wisdom please, please don't hesitate to share it again. Besides, I have a suspicion that I'm very likely NOT the only one who perhaps missed it. And if it's really that good then it most certainly needs repeating; I'm assuming then that you HAVE already shared your keen insight with the "city fathers", Chamber of Commerce, Governor and the BOT. You know: the real "movers and shakers" up there.

AirWarren

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 28, 2018, 04:06:58 pm
Well for those of us who were either not privileged enough or weren't around at the time you shared your wisdom please, please don't hesitate to share it again. Besides, I have a suspicion that I'm very likely NOT the only one who perhaps missed it. And if it's really that good then it most certainly needs repeating; I'm assuming then that you HAVE already shared your keen insight with the "city fathers", Chamber of Commerce, Governor and the BOT. You know: the real "movers and shakers" up there.

Nope.

Rest well and know that our opinions are different and let it be.

And we will continue to watch hoards of 4 and 5 stars pour into real SEC college towns.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: AP85 on February 28, 2018, 04:04:43 pm
Almost like clockwork...."go find another team" bull crap.

Pathetic.
No, actually sound advise. The way one needs to look at it is that you either accept it/hope for improvement, quit complaining about things over which you have no direct control (I'm assuming), or you leave and door let the door hit you in the broad posterior. Besides, as you've obviously been in agony for years (30+ and counting) why would you continue to put yourself through that? That is unless your a masochist. And since the area where the university seems to be a hopeless case why would you even want to continue supporting such a "loser" environment ??? I mean it truly makes no friggin' sense. Especially since apparently all other SEC locales have far more going for them and always will.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 28, 2018, 04:13:50 pm
No, actually sound advise. The way one needs to look at it is that you either accept it/hope for improvement, quit complaining about things over which you have no direct control (I'm assuming), or you leave and door let the door hit you in the broad posterior. Besides, as you've obviously been in agony for years (30+ and counting) why would you continue to put yourself through that? That is unless your a masochist. And since the area where the university seems to be a hopeless case why would you even want to continue supporting such a "loser" environment ??? I mean it truly makes no friggin' sense. Especially since apparently all other SEC locales have far more going for them and always will.

The hell are you so mad about?

Fayetteville's always been a great college town. When did it translate to wins on the field?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: AP85 on February 28, 2018, 04:09:12 pm
Nope.

Rest well and know that our opinions are different and let it be.

And we will continue to watch hoards of 4 and 5 stars pour into real SEC college towns.
Why not come back when YOU make more sense. Again, since NWA apparently is irretrievably lost and will never, ever measure up to all other SEC towns, campuses and such why would you want to continue backing a "loser" ??? That is unless you actually ENJOY such. And if that's the case, then why would you continue bitching?

AirWarren

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 28, 2018, 04:13:50 pm

My word....do you feel better?

AirWarren

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 28, 2018, 04:16:38 pm
Why not come back when YOU make more sense. Again, since NWA apparently is irretrievably lost and will never, ever measure up to all other SEC towns, campuses and such why would you want to continue backing a "loser" ??? That is unless you actually ENJOY such. And if that's the case, then why would you continue bitching?

Lol. You on your period?

AirWarren

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 28, 2018, 04:16:07 pm

Fayetteville's always been a great college town. When did it translate to wins on the field?

Careful. Michelle Obama is about to attack you like she does a soda machine.

Goodness.

ricepig

Quote from: AP85 on February 28, 2018, 03:51:55 pm

Yet we pulled in recruits from GA, Alabama, and two from Louisiana......

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 28, 2018, 04:16:07 pm

If you're referring to me then you totally misconstrue my intent. Personally I totally agree that Fayetteville is a GREAT college setting. And NWA is some of the absolute most beautiful locale around. I can PROMISE you that despite one particular person thinks there are several towns and SEC campuses that leave a TON to be desired. Ever been to Auburn? Both the campus and the town are basically yuke! In fact, were it not for the university the town would blow away. College Station and Columbia, Missouri aren't exactly garden spots. And that leaves the true "arm pit" of the lot: Starkville, MS.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: AP85 on February 28, 2018, 04:18:35 pm
Lol. You on your period?
Interesting that you trash the whole area up there and yet when I come back and get on your case YOU'RE only one that's allowed to get nasty. Yep, double standard much ??? ::) BTW you must be joking when you totally ignore the anal openings that are College Station, Auburn, Al and Starkville, Ms. (just to name three fellow SEC locales). And that's giving the benefit of the doubt to both Columbia, Mo and South Carolina and Oxford, Ms.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 28, 2018, 04:21:15 pm
If you're referring to me then you totally misconstrue my intent. Personally I totally agree that Fayetteville is a GRAET college setting. And NWA is some of the absolute most beautiful locale around. I can PROMISE you that despite one particular person thinks there are several towns and SEC campuses that leave a TON to be desired. Ever been to Auburn? Both the campus and the town are basically yuke! In fact, were it not for the university the town would blow away. College Station and Columbia, Missouri aren't exactly garden spots. And that leaves the true "arm pit" of the lot: Starkville, MS.

While you think Auburn is terrible, I'd disagree. Very nice college town, and very welcoming people. They also have a national title in the past decade; hence AP's point. I guess you missed that that was the actual point.  How nice a town is doesn't translate to wins.

AirWarren

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 28, 2018, 04:22:56 pm
Interesting that you trash the whole area up there and yet when I come back and get on your case YOU'RE only one that's allowed to get nasty. Yep, double standard much ??? ::)

You got issues man.

Learn to deal with differences in opinion.

You must be a snot nosed millennial.

AirWarren

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 28, 2018, 04:23:33 pm
While you think Auburn is terrible, I'd disagree. Very nice college town, and very welcoming people. They also have a national title in the past decade; hence AP's point. I guess you missed that that was the actual point.  How nice a town is doesn't translate to wins.

Auburn is a great college town.
Athens.
Gainesville.
Oxford offers charm. 
Say what you want about Baton Rouge, it is also a great town.
Starkville also is a nice town.
ALL OFFER SOMETHING FOR SOMEONE.

As is FAYETTEVILLE. BUT NICENESS HAS NOT TRANSITIONED TO WINS FOR US.

This guy I'm dealing with is sensitive and doesn't like opinions. And missed my entire point. If niceness mattered, Iowa would be dominating.