Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 22, 2017, 12:10:50 am
Gus as a Head Coach:
Arkansas State   9-3
Auburn             12-2
Auburn               8-5
Auburn               7-6
Auburn               8-5
Auburn               9-2

So, really, given the talent he has had to work with, Gus is a major underachiever.  His record is only slightly better the BB's.  Yes.  Let's sign Gus and see how he does here.

3-9
7-6
8-5
7-6
4-7 currently
Yeah, I see the similarity! Man stupid goes completely to the bone!

GuvHog

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 22, 2017, 12:03:36 pm
3-9
7-6
8-5
7-6
4-7 currently
Yeah, I see the similarity! Man stupid goes completely to the bone!

What Bielema did doesn't matter because he's gone. With the highly ranked classes he's recruited, Gus has underachieved at Auburn.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

NotSoFastMyFriend

Jimbo Fisher is done. Complete retread at this point.

hog.goblin

Quote from: GuvHog on November 22, 2017, 12:12:32 pm
What Bielema did doesn't matter because he's gone. With the highly ranked classes he's recruited, Gus has underachieved at Auburn.

I have yet to see how that's underachieving.  Auburn has been the 2nd best team in the SEC during Gus' tenure.  I don't care for Gus, but I'll take that kind of underachieving.  And I think he, or any successful coach, could bring better recruits with them.

DeltaBoy

Heard the Rumbling since the Summer!.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

26.2Hog

Quote from: GuvHog on November 22, 2017, 12:12:32 pm

Agree.

Swestwill66

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 22, 2017, 12:10:50 am
Gus as a Head Coach:
Arkansas State   9-3
Auburn             12-2
Auburn               8-5
Auburn               7-6
Auburn               8-5
Auburn               9-2

So, really, given the talent he has had to work with, Gus is a major underachiever.  His record is only slightly better the BB's.  Yes.  Let's sign Gus and see how he does here.
Have to agree with this. You are what your record says you are. He's achieved this with lots 4 and 5 star talent. What happens when he has a few 4 stars and a lot of 3 stars to work with ? What is his conference record during that span ?

lakecityhog

2 years out of 5 he is challenging for the SEC West title and his WORST record is 8-5.
Please tell me what would you expect from a coach in his position?

How many of you think that Clemson, Ohio State, USC, Stanford, Michigan,Wisconsin, Florida State or Penn State could play an SEC West schedule, Georgia every year and a top P5 opponent every year and not lose 2 to 4 games a year?

If his name was anything but Malzahn most people would be THRILLED that a coach of his caliber was considering jumping to us!

colbs

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 22, 2017, 08:56:16 pm
2 years out of 5 he is challenging for the SEC West title and his WORST record is 8-5.
Please tell me what would you expect from a coach in his position?

How many of you think that Clemson, Ohio State, USC, Stanford, Michigan,Wisconsin, Florida State or Penn State could play an SEC West schedule, Georgia every year and a top P5 opponent every year and not lose 2 to 4 games a year?

If his name was anything but Malzahn most people would be THRILLED that a coach of his caliber was considering jumping to us!
7-6 is actually his worse season.  I think he is a good coach but wonder if he can match or get close to matching what he has done at Auburn.  Auburn has had 3 coaches that have had an undefeated season at Auburn and went on to not have success at other places.  It's the same concern I have if Les Miles was hired.  I think Gus would do better but Les does have a better resume.  Just because a person questions if he will work here doesn't make them a hater.  Whoever is hired I will support.

colbs

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 22, 2017, 02:49:57 pm
I have yet to see how that's underachieving.  Auburn has been the 2nd best team in the SEC during Gus' tenure.  I don't care for Gus, but I'll take that kind of underachieving.  And I think he's, or any successful coach, could bring better recruits with them.
Not sure if this is true.  In 2013 finished 1st, in 2014 finished 4th, 2015 finished last, 2016 finished 2nd, 2017 TBD(1-3) If lose Saturday and LSU wins they will finish 3rd, win and finish 1st.