Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How would you hire a coach?

Started by LZH, December 29, 2015, 09:23:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

I just saw that LSU has finished out of the top 50 offenses 9 of the last 11 years. If I am not mistaken, Les was an offensive coordinator at one point in his career.

Bret Bielema shows up as a head coach of a very successful Wisconsin program, but his forte is defense. Is he the reason that we are better on defense than under Petrino, or because of his coaching hires?

In other words, do you spend millions of dollars hiring a coach for his scheme, or for his ability to lead a program?

jm

The ability to lead is most important.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jm on December 30, 2015, 07:29:35 am
The ability to lead is most important.

Leading is paramount! Once you find a leader how you do it is simply details.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogsanity

If they look like Kingsbury or any of his staff, I wouldn't hire them. They all look like rejects from Breaking Bad.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hogsanity on December 30, 2015, 10:49:14 am
If they look like Kingsbury or any of his staff, I wouldn't hire them. They all look like rejects from Breaking Bad.

No they all look like rejects from O-Town or 98 Degrees, (leaving out N-Sync & BSB out of respect).
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

GoldenCOHog

I think you can be a leader and not be able to attract the best players.  It all starts with player/parent relationships and the ability to build quality depth on both sides of the ball.  That takes charisma and it can't be taught.

If it were me, I'd spend millions going after a coach that can get me the best players possible.  But even then if you're not great at quarterback you're done.  Look at LSU...you give them that TTech QB and they're looking like the best college football team in a decade. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on December 29, 2015, 09:23:55 pm
I just saw that LSU has finished out of the top 50 offenses 9 of the last 11 years. If I am not mistaken, Les was an offensive coordinator at one point in his career.

Bret Bielema shows up as a head coach of a very successful Wisconsin program, but his forte is defense. Is he the reason that we are better on defense than under Petrino, or because of his coaching hires?

In other words, do you spend millions of dollars hiring a coach for his scheme, or for his ability to lead a program?

A good HC is only as good as the staff and potential that he hires. You need a guy who understands the process and how it is supposed to work. A good HC not only recognizes player talent, but coaching talent as well and just as the coaches develop player talent, a good HC helps develop his staff too. Just look around at some of the more notable coaching tree's.
Go Hogs Go!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 30, 2015, 11:25:39 am
A good HC is only as good as the staff and potential that he hires. You need a guy who understands the process and how it is supposed to work. A good HC not only recognizes player talent, but coaching talent as well and just as the coaches develop player talent, a good HC helps develop his staff too. Just look around at some of the more notable coaching tree's.

So I guess this statement would eliminate "Hootie Dale and The MSM"?!

Sorry just had to get him in a thread today.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!