Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Minimum number of players required in D-1.

Started by NostraHOGus, April 24, 2024, 11:15:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NostraHOGus

I tried to google this, but it was a crap shoot with disparate forum opinions and different rules at different levels of high school and college basketball.

I am interested in knowing the minimum number of players required to start a D-1 basketball game, and how many must finish before there is a forfeit or some such.

Asking for a friend.... 8)

RazorSax

We will have a full 7-8 player rotation by Monday, but maybe someone else can answer your question.

Kyback

There is no minimum. 13 scholarships are allowed, but obviously you need at least enough to practice and to deal with injuries.

secfan30

Not sure because years ago, you could play shorthanded meaning you could have 1 player on the floor playing against 5.  As it pertains to Arkansas, don't worry, we will field a team just because there is money enough to buy a decent team. 

Hogman 2012

April 25, 2024, 06:48:33 am #5 Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 07:27:36 am by Hogman 2012
Everything I could find said 4 players to start and if you drop below 4 game over.

EDIT I was wrong and corrected it below with the official rules, 5 players when down to 1 the game can be called if the refs thinks that team has no chance to win.

donnie

Quote from: Hogman 2012 on April 25, 2024, 06:48:33 amEverything I could find said 4 players to start and if you drop below 4 game over.

Bama played Minnesota 3 on 5 after nearly the whole team was ejected a few years ago. Colin Sexton almost singlehandedly won the game undermanned.

Hogman 2012

Quote from: donnie on April 25, 2024, 06:56:33 amBama played Minnesota 3 on 5 after nearly the whole team was ejected a few years ago. Colin Sexton almost singlehandedly won the game undermanned.

OK found this official rules. 2023/2024
RULE 3
Players and Substitutes
Section 1. Player
Art. 1. A player is one of five or fewer members of a team's personnel who
is legally on the playing court to participate. An individual shall retain player
status during a timeout.
Section 2. The Team
Art. 1. At the start of the game, each team shall consist of five players, one of
whom shall be the captain.
Art. 2. Each team may continue to play with fewer than five players when all
other team members are not eligible or able to play.
Art. 3. When there is only one player participating for a team, that team shall forfeit unless the referee believes that both teams have an opportunity to win.

https://cdn1.sportngin.com/attachments/document/e0d1-2810991/2023-2024_Mens_BBall_Rules_Book.pdf

Arnold Ziffel

Quote from: donnie on April 25, 2024, 06:56:33 amBama played Minnesota 3 on 5 after nearly the whole team was ejected a few years ago. Colin Sexton almost singlehandedly won the game undermanned.

That's incredible!

popcornhog

Quote from: NostraHOGus on April 24, 2024, 11:15:45 pmI tried to google this, but it was a crap shoot with disparate forum opinions and different rules at different levels of high school and college basketball.

I am interested in knowing the minimum number of players required to start a D-1 basketball game, and how many must finish before there is a forfeit or some such.

I believe it's just 1. My recollection is that once that last player fouls out, it's a T for subsequent fouls.
WPS

HeathWimp

Z and Knox can handle it 2-5.  If we get Boogie, then he will provide depth from the bench.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

Hogman 2012

Quote from: popcornhog on April 25, 2024, 08:10:39 amI believe it's just 1. My recollection is that once that last player fouls out, it's a T for subsequent fouls.

From the official rules I listed above 5 to start the game if a team gets down to 1 player the refs can stop the game if one team has no chance of winning.

NostraHOGus

I honestly wasn't trying to be snarky about the roster in April. But I appreciate the posts about the roster. :P

I was just thinking this was a first in terms of replacing scholarship players.

It made me think of the time HDN held campus tryouts and welcomed an intramural QB to play on Saturday. I think I attended that game, and while the QB had some moments, I don't think it turned out very well.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: Having one 5 star, Top 100 player so far who is not from Arkansas is a pretty big deal.

1highhog

NostraHOGus

Quote from: 1highhog on April 25, 2024, 09:06:29 amThis ^^^^^^.  Good grief people.

It's funny when people infer impatience.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Quote from: NostraHOGus on April 24, 2024, 11:15:45 pmI tried to google this, but it was a crap shoot with disparate forum opinions and different rules at different levels of high school and college basketball.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

popcornhog

Quote from: Hogman 2012 on April 25, 2024, 08:39:33 amFrom the official rules I listed above 5 to start the game if a team gets down to 1 player the refs can stop the game if one team has no chance of winning.

Thx
WPS

HogT

Practice does not make perfect...
Practice makes permanent...
PERFECT practice makes perfect...

Kris P. Bacon

I remember watching that. Thinking, "No way he is doing this"
"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
– Winston Churchill

freedomcounty

I wonder if Cal takes a full squad. Kentucky fans used to complain about him leaving scholarships open for flexibility with the one-and-done types

NostraHOGus

Look, I keep a little notepad every time we add a player. I'm forced so far to come up with shorthand for things like 5-star and McDonald's All-American. It's been a while since we've had very many of either.

Arkansas_Forever

Being a Hog fan is all I've ever known. I grew up hearing whispers of #10 Bill Montgomery, #20 Chuck Dicus, #33 Bill Burnett, the Triplets, Bud Campbell, the 69' game, and the 78' Orange Bowl. Thanks Dad.

elvis266

We will fill our roster with 13 scholarship players and the 2 walkons

Birminghog

Quote from: NostraHOGus on April 25, 2024, 09:56:25 amIt's funny when people infer impatience.
Props for knowing the difference between imply & infer & when to use them. +1