Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Summer workouts?

Started by niels_boar, July 26, 2017, 02:24:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

niels_boar

Any reports, rumors, wild-arse guesses, etc. as to how players are looking this summer?
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: niels_boar on July 26, 2017, 02:24:36 pm
Any reports, rumors, wild-arse guesses, etc. as to how players are looking this summer?

I keep hearing the freshmen look good. Also hearing the veterans are all improved.

Pinto

I heard Daedae is a gym rat and has improved his game more than anyone so far. Also heard Jalen Harris can flat out GO!

batmanfan

Quote from: Pinto on July 27, 2017, 09:23:24 am
I heard Daedae is a gym rat and has improved his game more than anyone so far. Also heard Jalen Harris can flat out GO!

Thats good to hear. If we can get four of the underclassmen to be starter/rotation level good we are gonna be set.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

revolution

It's all we got right now!

Pinto

Quote from: batmanfan on July 27, 2017, 09:55:49 am
Thats good to hear. If we can get four of the underclassmen to be starter/rotation level good we are gonna be set.

I'm willing to bet Gafford and Daedae will be starting by SEC play. Khalil and Drio will definitely be in the rotation. If not, then we are going to be in for a long season

niels_boar

Quote from: Pinto on July 27, 2017, 10:08:35 am
I'm willing to bet Gafford and Daedae will be starting by SEC play. Khalil and Drio will definitely be in the rotation. If not, then we are going to be in for a long season

For me the question is whether a couple or more of the young 6' 5''+ guys will be forces on the wing at both ends. If that happens, there are enough options everywhere else to work things out on O and D.  There is usually a bias to overestimate the new guys and underestimate the returning players because the flaws of the returning players have been on display for a year or more, whereas the frosh have never missed a shot or committed a TO. 

Pinto

Quote from: niels_boar on July 27, 2017, 11:20:19 am
For me the question is whether a couple or more of the young 6' 5''+ guys will be forces on the wing at both ends. If that happens, there are enough options everywhere else to work things out on O and D.  There is usually a bias to overestimate the new guys and underestimate the returning players because the flaws of the returning players have been on display for a year or more, whereas the frosh have never missed a shot or committed a TO.

Very true. Hopefully CJ has caught on to everything so that he can give us quality minutes.

Big Nasty 34

Not a surprise. I hope Hall starts from day 1 at the 3.

Pinto

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on July 27, 2017, 12:32:45 pm

Definitely a possibility. He has more skills than Qualls did when he stepped on the Hill. Hopefully he can develop into a player with similar impact that Qualls had...

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pinto on July 27, 2017, 11:47:22 am
Very true. Hopefully CJ has caught on to everything so that he can give us quality minutes.

I bet CJ is going to have a break out year. If he can add ball handling to his game, then watch out.

NWAHog479

I've heard that none of the PF's have improved their jumper and that Gafford is consistently getting his hands on rebounds/deflections/blocks. Have also heard the same regarding Jalen Harris.

batmanfan

Quote from: NWAHog479 on July 28, 2017, 09:32:44 am
I've heard that none of the PF's have improved their jumper and that Gafford is consistently getting his hands on rebounds/deflections/blocks. Have also heard the same regarding Jalen Harris.

Sounds like we might have a steal in Harris.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Marshfieldhog

We really need Cook or Thomas to step up. Or Trey Thompson to provide some more scoring punch down low.

niels_boar

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on July 28, 2017, 10:28:41 am
We really need Cook or Thomas to step up. Or Trey Thompson to provide some more scoring punch down low.

Thompson has unrealized potential in scoring.  He finishes efficiently at the rim, is decent at the line, and actually had one of the higher 2-pt jumper FG percentages on the team last year, granted on only 21 attempts.  He's not unskilled, but he only took 55 attempts total last season.  That number should at least double and could even quadruple this season.  He and Kingsley combined for 14.4 points per game last season.  If he and Gafford can drop 7+ points apiece combined with Thompson's contributions as a passer, that should be enough O out of the post if our new wings can replace Hannahs' buckets.

Biggus Piggus

I love watching Thompson distribute the basketball.
[CENSORED]!

PorkRinds

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 28, 2017, 12:00:39 pm
I love watching Thompson distribute the basketball.

Agreed. His passing ability at his size is pretty amazing. 

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on July 27, 2017, 12:32:45 pm

Im with you on this one

Pinto

Quote from: NWAHog479 on July 28, 2017, 09:32:44 am

Dan G is going to average at least 2.5 bpg this year.

hogfanny

Who is Daedae? Real name please.

klp1

NWAHog479

Beard weighed in at 198... They said 6'0, but he's about 5'10 at best.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: NWAHog479 on August 01, 2017, 08:24:38 am
Beard weighed in at 198... They said 6'0, but he's about 5'10 at best.

Maybe what we need as a Outside LB on the football team.  LOL.  If those numbers are true then he is too thick and it will effect his quickness, endurance and leaping ability.

razorback1829

Have seen Beard around town a couple of times this summer and he looks like an entirely different person. He no longer has that weight that hindered his quickness the last couple of years.. no way he's 198.

Hawg Red

Something to keep in mind with Beard is that he's a sturdy guy. He might carry 200 lbs better than most.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 01, 2017, 09:59:50 am
Something to keep in mind with Beard is that he's a sturdy guy. He might carry 200 lbs better than most.
Past my prime by a ways but I am 5'11". At my thinnest post high school I was 190. I was carrying very little fat.

It's all about body type.

razorback1829

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 01, 2017, 09:59:50 am

I get what you're saying no doubt, but I'm telling you he's completely transformed his body this offseason. You just have to see him to understand. I'm excited for him.. heard he's dunking in pickup the summer.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Pinto on July 27, 2017, 11:47:22 am

That would really, really really, REALLY! REALLY! be nice. Bcuz I would like to see him just light it up...at will. S Curry like.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Pinto

Quote from: HawgnCorona on August 01, 2017, 10:39:20 pm
That would really, really really, REALLY! REALLY! be nice. Bcuz I would like to see him just light it up...at will. S Curry like.

I wouldn't go that far but I do think he could turn out to be like Anthlon Bell

nwahogfan1

Quote from: razorback1829 on August 01, 2017, 11:22:38 am
I get what you're saying no doubt, but I'm telling you he's completely transformed his body this offseason. You just have to see him to understand. I'm excited for him.. heard he's dunking in pickup the summer.

I hope you are right.  IMO he needs to weigh under 190 lbs and improve his first step of getting by his man and creating problems for the defense.  Also a mid range jump shot wouldn't hurt either. 

niels_boar

Quote from: Pinto on August 02, 2017, 07:09:38 am

I'll be ecstatic with any Hog that shoots like Bell did as a senior.  However, Jones is a legit 6' 5'' with hops.  He's a far better athlete than Bell.  As Jones gets stronger, he should have a lot of potential at scoring at the rim and could be a quality finisher on the break immediately.  He also has more upside as a two-way player, though nobody has raved about his D to this point. 

HF#1

I'm interested in Thompson's defense and Jones' shooting.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Pinto on August 02, 2017, 07:09:38 am

Thats not far enough...He can be and has the potential to be much better, if he is to get quality minutes...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

HawgnCorona

Quote from: The ColonelHog on August 02, 2017, 12:08:08 pm
No one has raved about his D because according to CMA, his poor D is why he was supplanted on the bench.  His O has never been a question and if he finally "gets it" in the D scheme we will see more of him on the floor.

I agree. If he puts it together on the D, then he should have no problem getting on the floor and getting quality minutes...

Flex hog

Pinto

Quote from: niels_boar on August 02, 2017, 10:52:12 am
I'll be ecstatic with any Hog that shoots like Bell did as a senior.  However, Jones is a legit 6' 5'' with hops.  He's a far better athlete than Bell.  As Jones gets stronger, he should have a lot of potential at scoring at the rim and could be a quality finisher on the break immediately.  He also has more upside as a two-way player, though nobody has raved about his D to this point.

I agree. I said Anthlon only because he said Steph in comparison to his deep ball ability.

Pinto

By the way, Gafford has really put in work on his body over the summer. He showed me some before and after pics today and he looks solid. He went from 217 to around 230 right now. Not to mention he has added a couple of inches to his vertical. Kid is going to be a beast.

Razorod

Quote from: Pinto on August 03, 2017, 09:15:07 pm
By the way, Gafford has really put in work on his body over the summer. He showed me some before and after pics today and he looks solid. He went from 217 to around 230 right now. Not to mention he has added a couple of inches to his vertical. Kid is going to be a beast.
Anderson better be recruiting behind him. He may not be around beyond his sophomore season.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Pinto

Quote from: Razorod on August 04, 2017, 08:36:50 am
Anderson better be recruiting behind him. He may not be around beyond his sophomore season.

No kidding

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Razorod on August 04, 2017, 08:36:50 am
5 years ago I would have agreed with you but in the past 2 years the NBA is starting to push guys who are only 5s down the draft boards. So hopefully that will lead to Gafford staying 2 years so he can put in more work on his jump shot.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Kevin McPherson

I continue to hear good things about the freshmen, all 4 of them. There's a learning curve, though, and the Hogs will be playing their toughest OOC in years. There will be growing pains, but this has a chance to be a nasty defensive group midway through SEC play. Go back to the 27- and 26-win teams in the past 3 years, and they played their best basketball in the final 1/3rd of the season. Barford and Macon are fringe All SEC types, and for some reason I envision Beard having a strong senior season. If guys like Thompson, Thomas, Cook, Bailey, and Jones all come back better, this will be a very dangerous team in March.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on August 08, 2017, 09:17:40 pm
I continue to hear good things about the freshmen, all 4 of them. There's a learning curve, though, and the Hogs will be playing their toughest OOC in years. There will be growing pains, but this has a chance to be a nasty defensive group midway through SEC play. Go back to the 27- and 26-win teams in the past 3 years, and they played their best basketball in the final 1/3rd of the season. Barford and Macon are fringe All SEC types, and for some reason I envision Beard having a strong senior season. If guys like Thompson, Thomas, Cook, Bailey, and Jones all come back better, this will be a very dangerous team in March.

any news on Big Dan,  how's the knee? 

Pinto

His knee is fine. He's jumping better now than when he came on campus.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Pinto on August 09, 2017, 02:22:31 pm
His knee is fine. He's jumping better now than when he came on campus.

Right, everything I'm hearing is that Dan has been as explosive as ever, and bigger.

Pinto

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on August 09, 2017, 04:47:04 pm
Right, everything I'm hearing is that Dan has been as explosive as ever, and bigger.

He might come back from this three week break even bigger. He's been grinding in the gym down home

SRV

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on August 08, 2017, 09:17:40 pm
I'm really excited about this mixture of returning players and newcomers. I think the returning players should be very good and we shouldn't have to rely on the new players as much as we have in the past. That being said, there are some very talented kids coming in that will push the guys that are already there. This should be a very fun team to watch.
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

hawgtime

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on July 26, 2017, 06:18:44 pm
I keep hearing the freshmen look good. Also hearing the veterans are all improved.

jeeesh, we hear that EVERY year!

Swinesong1

Quote from: hawgtime on August 25, 2017, 10:57:36 am
jeeesh, we hear that EVERY year!
And no one actually shows improvement?  Is that what you're saying? 

Dominicanhog

nothing to add.. just want "Arlando Cook arrested" off the forum page..seems it's been the top spot since it happened...