Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Final Thoughts on the game

Started by Sweet Feet, September 30, 2017, 02:13:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

I knew New Mexico St had some athletes on offense and were pretty decent. Arkansas' offense wasn't really a concern, minus inside the 10 and QB protection. But the defense was going to be tested

From what i saw, defense needs some MAJOR improvement, or it's going to be a long season with teams running the spread. The endzone INT in the first half was crucial, but had it not been for that pick, the wide open WR missed in the endzone before halftime, and the fumble on special teams, i don't know how close this game would have been. It seemed like for a good portion of the game, Arkansas could not stop NMSU. If there isn't any improvements defensively, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St, and even Mizzou is going to have a field day on the secondary.

Offense overall looked impressive and the clock game was executed nicely.

DeltaBoy

They stopped them enough to win
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HoggyCat

We had two drives where we scored after having to convert on 4th down, and another with short forks after a fumbled kickoff.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

cj_sez

Allowing NMSU 344 passing yards does not indicate a rate of success against SEC defenses. Rent-a-win games do not give any accurate basis to assess SEC play. I am happy for the team and hope they celebrate this win, but I haven't seen anything that suggests more than 2 or 3 more this season. The Gamecocks will be a true road test. I can't be optimistic about the offense unless they produce in that game. I am left with another question....is there no confidence at all in the FG scheme? Today they had success on 4th downs when they could have opted for a FGA for the most part. But there could come a game when a FG is vital and going for it would be the risky option.

SPAL

Quote from: cj_sez on September 30, 2017, 02:38:23 pm
Allowing NMSU 344 passing yards does not indicate a rate of success against SEC defenses. Rent-a-win games do not give any accurate basis to assess SEC play. I am happy for the team and hope they celebrate this win, but I haven't seen anything that suggests more than 2 or 3 more this season. The Gamecocks will be a true road test. I can't be optimistic about the offense unless they produce in that game. I am left with another question....is there no confidence at all in the FG scheme? Today they had success on 4th downs when they could have opted for a FGA for the most part. But there could come a game when a FG is vital and going for it would be the risky option.

I can assure you this will be a better passing team than south Carolina.

moses_007

Finally, today we saw some excellent separation by our receivers for Allen to throw to.  It's the best our receivers have looked this year.

Tejano Jawg

Allowing NMSU 344 passing yards does not indicate a rate of success against SEC defenses.

Here's what I'm hoping—and I was thinking about this during the game—with the win today our team can generally feel good. Maybe even be a little optimistic. So, in the defensive meetings watching the film, Rhoads and Co. can pick apart certain negative plays and dissect them. But maybe with our guys in a little better frame of mind, they can absorb the criticism and really learn something. (Imagine how down the film sessions from last week had to be.)

And there are plenty to look at, especially some of their long pass completions. There were too many plays where we were in position (or very close) to make a play, but we didn't. We made one of their WRs into an All American today.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Cambridge Hog

we have some good looking freshman. this team could be pretty good in 2-3 years...

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: moses_007 on September 30, 2017, 03:19:23 pm
Finally, today we saw some excellent separation by our receivers for Allen to throw to.  It's the best our receivers have looked this year.

Agreed, been waiting on stewart to show up.  Looks like him, nance, and jones wil be the guys.  Also looks like ogrady has the nod at at te.

fullfan

Quote from: HoggyCat on September 30, 2017, 02:33:00 pm
We had two drives where we scored after having to convert on 4th down, and another with short forks after a fumbled kickoff.
Great job by the Hogs to be in those positions.   Good play calling as well.  WPS

GunnerHawg70

Swestwill66

I think ,back when coach said he was done with that,he was saying that he's going on 4th  down every time from the 35 on in.

JaketheSnake

Let's all find a reason to be frustrated over a pretty dominant win. 

NMST was supposed to beat us... it was all over hogville all week. 

HotlantaHog

Arkansas was a 17 point favorite and beat the spread by 1 point. So the game played out about as expected. Not sure anyone can reasonably draw any new conclusions from the game, pro or con. On to South Carolina.

Athog

Quote from: Sweet Feet on September 30, 2017, 02:13:45 pm
I knew New Mexico St had some athletes on offense and were pretty decent. Arkansas' offense wasn't really a concern, minus inside the 10 and QB protection. But the defense was going to be tested

From what i saw, defense needs some MAJOR improvement, or it's going to be a long season with teams running the spread. The endzone INT in the first half was crucial, but had it not been for that pick, the wide open WR missed in the endzone before halftime, and the fumble on special teams, i don't know how close this game would have been. It seemed like for a good portion of the game, Arkansas could not stop NMSU. If there isn't any improvements defensively, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St, and even Mizzou is going to have a field day on the secondary.

Good post. I agree.

Jimbob111

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 30, 2017, 04:24:36 pm

Strangely enough, the talking heads kept saying there was a chance for the upset based on how Arkansas has played this season. It wasn't just Hogville saying it could happen and those who keep blaming the homers on Hogville for all the negative things being said about Beliema and the Hogs really need to expand their exposure to college football.

If you didn't read the Alvarez quotes from the Touchdown Club, you should. Very enlightening and very true. Do you think Barry got that from Hogville?
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

thebignasty

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 30, 2017, 02:48:44 pm
I can assure you this will be a better passing team than south Carolina.

Jake Bentley isn't bad.

Already preparing myself for when we make him look like an all american.

Pigsknuckles

Random thoughts. NMS simply stuffed us on runs up the middle, and torched us in the secondary. Yeah we won, but we were sure exposed to the rest of the SEC. Cole Kelley cannot put the ball on the ground and expect to get playing time. Austin took too many hits. Liking Nance more all the time. Held them to 11 yards on the ground. WooHoo. Both positives and negatives here. Sure needed the win going into Columbia.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Jimbob111 on September 30, 2017, 05:49:04 pm
Strangely enough, the talking heads kept saying there was a chance for the upset based on how Arkansas has played this season. It wasn't just Hogville saying it could happen and those who keep blaming the homers on Hogville for all the negative things being said about Beliema and the Hogs really need to expand their exposure to college football.

If you didn't read the Alvarez quotes from the Touchdown Club, you should. Very enlightening and very true. Do you think Barry got that from Hogville?
Which talking heads? Please dont tell me SDS or some crap like that.  Vegas felt we would handle NMST and we did.  Most talking heads outside this state feel we have losses to a pretty good TCU team and a decent A&M team. So those losses make us lose to NMST.

Alvarez doesn't say much.  You can pull whatever you want out of that.  It is no secret that there are tons of OL there and the SEC is faster. 

Redhogs

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 30, 2017, 04:24:36 pm

We were favored by 18 to be accurate...
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

ChicoHog

Quote from: Redhogs on September 30, 2017, 06:22:31 pm
It was 16.5 yesterday on the site I use.  I took over 61 so I won that bet.  Did not bet the points line.

Game went pretty much as expected.  Aggies have good passing game and QB was elusive and pretty accurate.  Most SEC teams will not play like this.  I did notice we blitzed a few times and got burned on it a couple times also along with Greenlaw's roughing the passer penalty.  That's why we don't blitz as much as many people think we should. 

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Redhogs on September 30, 2017, 06:22:31 pm
No crap?   You missed the last part of that.  There were 3-4 threads about how fast CBB would be canned if they beat us and how they are no pushover.  Same people saying that during the week are now griping about anyone happy about a victory.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on September 30, 2017, 06:12:17 pm
I would hate to be AA. That dude gets the hell beat out of him every night.
I felt strangely sorry for the kid who was ejected for the hit on Austin. He was just trying to make a play, but he never should have had that opportunity.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on September 30, 2017, 06:12:17 pm
I would hate to be AA. That dude gets the hell beat out of him every night.
He must have a mean girlfriend. Poor guy.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

davglo35

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on September 30, 2017, 06:31:21 pm
I felt strangely sorry for the kid who was ejected for the hit on Austin. He was just trying to make a play, but he never should have had that opportunity.
The targeting crap is getting out of hand. Defenses have their hands tied when it comes to playing hard and being aggresive. If they have got to have this rule then call a personal foul and 15 yd penalty and don't put a kid out of any playing time.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: davglo35 on September 30, 2017, 08:21:35 pm
The targeting crap is getting out of hand. Defenses have their hands tied when it comes to playing hard and being aggresive. If they have got to have this rule then call a personal foul and 15 yd penalty and don't put a kid out of any playing time.
Yes. Targeting has almost become a PC thing.

HognotinMemphis

September 30, 2017, 09:23:17 pm #26 Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 10:25:29 pm by HoginMemphis
Quote from: Sweet Feet on September 30, 2017, 02:13:45 pm

Worst Arkansas defense in 27 years last year. This year's defense is nominally better than last year's which is not saying much at all. By the way, Orgeron is 1 and done as HC at LSU.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

DeltaBoy

THE COCKS RAN OUT of Gas against TAMU
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Oklahawg

Unless I missed an injury to a UA player, the only downside today was that we couldn't stretch out the scoreboard more so we could build more depth.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

TheRazorback500

We took away their running game (i.e. Rose), making their offense one-dimensional. We also got to the QB a couple of times in the first half when we were building our lead. AA executed the offense well and led a balanced attack. I did see improvement.
Do you wanna get Rocked?