Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas' regular season SEC football W-L record

Started by HognotinMemphis, September 18, 2017, 11:31:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

89-109-2 (does not include the 3 SECCG losses)

A 45% win percentage over a quarter of a century and 6 head coaches, not counting Joe Kines.

Both ties were in first 2 years in SEC when Hogs went 3-4-1 each season.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

jkstock04

Since you are crunching numbers what was our SEC win percentage before Smile and Bielema took over?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 18, 2017, 11:34:00 pm
Since you are crunching numbers what was our SEC win percentage before Smile and Bielema took over?
77-81-2 over first 20 seasons in SEC. A 48% win percentage, not counting the 3 SECCG losses.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

jkstock04

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 18, 2017, 11:42:50 pm
77-81-2 over first 20 seasons in SEC. A 48% win percentage, not counting the 3 SECCG losses.
So it has actually only gone down 3% over the last 5 miserable years? That's interesting I figured it would've been more.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Dominicanhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 19, 2017, 12:37:06 am
So it has actually only gone down 3% over the last 5 miserable years? That's interesting I figured it would've been more.

3 % drop is pretty big on a sample of 200  ..... a 16 game swing..... at 6-2 would take 4 years to get it back...  been a tough stretch...

HognotinMemphis

Last 5 seasons is 40 games out of 200 or 20%. So 20% will not move it that much unless record is close to 0-40.

hogcard1964

3% over that period of time is a very large drop.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 19, 2017, 07:46:46 am
3% over that period of time is a very large drop.
It is not insignificant for sure. But whether it is a 48% or a 45% win percentage over 20 and 25 years, it's all the stuff of mediocrity. But what do you expect given A) the decline in Arkansas high school football (especially in LR and rest of Pulaski Co.); B)the average ranking of Arkansas' recruiting classes within the SEC being about 10th or 11th over the entire 25 years in the SEC; and C) the entrance of Texas A&M into the SEC, which at least partially hurts our ability to recruit Texas.

jst01

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 19, 2017, 07:52:25 am
It is not insignificant for sure. But whether it is a 48% or a 45% win percentage over 20 and 25 years, it's all the stuff of mediocrity. But what do you expect given A) the decline in Arkansas high school football (especially in LR and rest of Pulaski Co.); B)the average ranking of Arkansas' recruiting classes within the SEC being about 10th or 11th over the entire 25 years in the SEC; and C) the entrance of Texas A&M into the SEC, which at least partially hurts our ability to recruit Texas.

It basically tells you that AR has been and most likely will continue to be out of place in the SEC. Too many obstacles to get over to really compete at a high level. I think most people get this.

al_pigcino

Quote from: jst01 on September 19, 2017, 08:02:40 am
It basically tells you that AR has been and most likely will continue to be out of place in the SEC. Too many obstacles to get over to really compete at a high level. I think most people get this.
I pointed this out before.  I don't know why people expect a double digit win total every year or the coach is a failure.  We are roughly a 6-7 win team over the course of the SEC tenure.

hogcard1964

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 19, 2017, 07:52:25 am

Yesterday someone posed the question-" How far has Bielema set the program back"?...and they were subsequently blasted for it.  Knowing that he has hurt our overall numbers, that is a legitimate question.  We're really not average, but we're actually a "below average" program now.

jst01

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 19, 2017, 08:41:25 am
Yesterday someone posed the question-" How far has Bielema set the program back"?...and they were subsequently blasted for it.  Knowing that he has hurt our overall numbers, that is a legitimate question.  We're really not average, but we're actually a "below average" program now.

Well if 50% is average, by definition, then we have never been average looking at the last 25 years as a whole.  But there have been many years where we were well above average, followed by years of being well below average.  That's the problem with just looking at averages, it doesn't give any insight into how many highs or lows there actually was.

Piggfoot

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 18, 2017, 11:31:11 pm
89-109-2 (does not include the 3 SECCG losses)

A 45% win percentage over a quarter of a century and 6 head coaches, not counting Joe Kines.

Both ties were in first 2 years in SEC when Hogs went 3-4-1 each season.
Are your figures correct? By my calculation your win loss = 80%
Arkansas' favorable record in the SEC was attained by their early wins over Miss schools I believe.
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/arkansas-razorbacks-time-record-every-sec-school/
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

jst01

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 19, 2017, 08:50:43 am
Arkansas' favorable record in the SEC was attained by their early wins over Miss I believe.

wins / total games  (89 / 198)  = 0.45

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 19, 2017, 08:41:25 am
It's okay to acknowledge fact. It does not mean you are a bad fan. 10-22 in SEC over 4 years is BY FAR the worst in the SEC West division over that span. So definitely is below average...it's awful.  Next worst SEC record over past 4 years among SEC West teams is Texas A&M's record of 15-17 but even that is 50% more SEC wins than Arkansas. 

For comparison's sake, LSU has won 19 SEC games over past 4 seasons, Bama has won 29, Auburn has won 18, and both Ole Miss and Miss ST have won 16.

DLUXHOG

you need to CONSIDER retaking remedial math as 89+109 = 198 total games played... 89 divided by 198 = 44.94%, which rounded up = 45%
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 19, 2017, 08:55:08 am
you need to CONSIDER retaking remedial math as 89+109 = 198 total games played... 89 divided by 198 = 44.94%, which rounded up = 45%
Not everyone here understands basic math and percentages. I think he attempted to figure the win % by dividing the # of wins by the # of losses rather than by the total # of games played. Fractions and percentages are beyond some folk.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 19, 2017, 08:58:01 am
Not everyone here understand basic math and percentages. I think he attempted to figure the win % by dividing the # of wins by the # of losses rather than by the total # of games played. Fractions and percentages are beyond some folk.

that would make for some rough living..........

Piggfoot

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 19, 2017, 08:55:08 am
My bad. had a brain F*rt
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 19, 2017, 08:59:35 am
My bad.

cool, we all f*ck up, probably at least once a day........ (me, probably once a half hour)

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: DLUXHOG on September 19, 2017, 08:59:25 am
that would make for some rough living..........
Those are the people who just sort of wing it...never balance checkbook, that sort of thing.

HognotinMemphis

hogcard1964

Quote from: jst01 on September 19, 2017, 08:48:45 am
Well if 50% is average, by definition, then we have never been average looking at the last 25 years as a whole.  But there have been many years where we were well above average, followed by years of being well below average.  That's the problem with just looking at averages, it doesn't give any insight into how many highs or lows there actually was.

Except we're actually below 50%.  We're actually at 45% (44.5%).  If we lose this week, we'll be at a solid 44%.  If you include the (2) ties, we're actually right at .44%. We're losing more than we win.  Quite a bit more.   We're not "average".

Locutus_of_Boar

Regular season SEC games
Kines 3-4-1   43.75%
Ford 16-23-1 includes Bama 1993 forfeit  40%
Nutt 42-38  55%
Petrino 19-13  59.375%
Bielema 10-22 31.25%

Total 88-100-2 46.6%

Including championship losses 88-103-2  46.1%

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/year-by-year-football-results/

WilsonHog

Those numbers bear out the unlikelihood of ever getting a coach at Arkansas who will consistently win 10 games a year. That makes it critical to have one who the fans realistically believe can win 10 games every four or five years.

Do we have that now?

IronHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 19, 2017, 09:07:23 am
Those numbers bear out the unlikelihood of ever getting a coach at Arkansas who will consistently win 10 games a year. That makes it critical to have one who the fans realistically believe can win 10 games every four or five years.

Do we have that now?

A great case to get out of the SEC.

Unfortunately Texas is impossible to live with...... 
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on September 19, 2017, 09:03:58 am
Regular season SEC games
Kines 3-4-1   43.75%
Nutt 42-38  55%
Petrino 19-13  59.375%
Bielema 10-22 31.25%

Total 88-100-2 46.6%

This is not accurate. 8 SEC games per year for 25 seasons in SEC since 1992 = 200 games. I've already done this for you. See my post. Your total games = 190. Win % is 45%. I never included the 3 SECCG games, all of which were losses. For one thing, you left on John L's 2-6 year but that is only 8 games. You are 10 games short with your numbers.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 19, 2017, 09:02:45 am
Except we're actually below 50%.  We're actually at 45% (44.5%).  If we lose this week, we'll be at a solid 44%.  If you include the (2) ties, we're actually right at .44%. We're losing more than we win.  Quite a bit more.   We're not "average".

not sure what average is.. you have to compare those to the rest of the teams in the SEC during that time period.. someone did for the last 4 years, we've been waaay below average in W/L %....

hogcard1964

Do we have that now?

What are the odds of Arkansas ever having a coach that can win in double digits in back to back years?   ;)

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 19, 2017, 09:10:07 am
What are the odds of Arkansas ever having a coach that can win in double digits in back to back years?   ;)
Only Petrino out of the 5 head coaches who have coached at least 2 seasons in past 25 years.

WilsonHog

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 09:09:14 am

A great case to get out of the SEC.

Unfortunately Texas is impossible to live with......

Be hard to argue against it, if the metric is success on the football field.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 19, 2017, 09:14:37 am
It is the $. As long as SEC sharing of revenues keeps rolling in and as long as fans and boosters keep filling the RF's coffers and buying season tickets, the U of A will never consider leaving the SEC. Neither will KY, or Miss St, or Ole Miss, or Vandy, or Missouri or South Carolina. That is half of the SEC and that half finishes in the bottom half of SEC standings 90% of the time.

IronHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 19, 2017, 09:14:37 am

Arkansas is a kinda sorta southern school playing in the Deep South conference.

Be much better location and culture wise to be in a modern Big8/SWC merger but Texas is too arrogant to be Bama.

Is what it is.......NWA might be Gods country but it's a tough place to run a high D1 program from for a variety of reasons. 

Hog Fan...DOH!

Do we have that now?

I think Arkansas can be consistently better.  Hell, if Mississippi State can be better, we can be better.  But look at Tennessee... they sure haven't been anything special since Fulmer left. 

Clearly, you have to have the right coach and you have to avoid off-the-field shenanigans.

IronHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 19, 2017, 09:18:36 am
It is the $. As long as SEC sharing of revenues keeps rolling in and as long as fans and boosters keep filling the RF's coffers and buying season tickets, the U of A will never consider leaving the SEC. Neither will KY, or Miss St, or Ole Miss, or Vandy, or Missouri or South Carolina. That is half of the SEC and that half finishes in the bottom half of SEC standings 90% of the time.

The exact reason Jeff Long is a POWERFUL AD.

He's showed them the money.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 09:19:15 am

Be much better location and culture wise to be in a modern Big8/SWC merger but Texas is too arrogant to be Bama.

Is what it is.......NWA might be Gods country but it's a tough place to run a high D1 program from for a variety of reasons. 

If only Fayetteville was Stillwater.

Locutus_of_Boar

Do we have that now?

Winning 10 means 6-2 SEC + the Power 5 out of conference or 7-1 in the SEC.  Even with the non-competitive Ford and Bielema years 6-2+ happened 5 time in 25 years or once every 5 years so we are already at the suggested standard.  I think the fans are thinking more in the order of two 10 wins seasons in every five years.  Petrino was on the path to do that so I think his 60% conference winning percentage is probably the aiming point for any coach who's looking to have a comfortable 10 year tenure on the hill.

IronHog

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on September 19, 2017, 09:21:10 am

OSU is tied to OU.

They are one of the programs that rose to fill the void created when UA left Texas.

hogcard1964

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 19, 2017, 09:13:21 am
Only Petrino out of the 5 head coaches who have coached at least 2 seasons in past 25 years.

yes   ;D

HoggieStyle

Didn't realize it was that bad. Wow.

This serves to justify my apathy. Thanks.

hogfanincajunland

QuoteI don't know why people expect a double digit win total every year or the coach is a failure.

I only recently started posting, but have been watching this board for several years and have never seen a single poster state that expect 10+ wins "every year". I believe 7-8 on the regular is fair but there should be a double digit season, on average, every five years or so. And I also expect a team that leaves it all on the field day in and day out. Something we have not seen with CBB. Even during the Nutt days we had defenses that flew to the ball. It was like a swarm of red when they were on the field. I have backed CBB and given him the benefit of a doubt up until now. I STILL hope he can turn things around, but it is looking less and less likely. If he can't get this team to, at least, look respectable by the end of the season then he needs to go. Its as simple as that.

jkstock04

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on September 19, 2017, 09:21:10 am
2-3 hours from campus, an absolute cow town and they win 10 plus games every year consistently in the top 20...yet supposedly an impossibility for us because we can't recruit good enough.

The case for OK state having a legit program and us not burns my ass.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jst01

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 19, 2017, 11:01:52 am
2-3 hours from campus, an absolute cow town and they win 10 plus games every year consistently in the top 20...yet supposedly an impossibility for us because we can't recruit good enough.

The case for OK state having a legit program and us not burns my ass.

AR could do the same thing if they would get out of this conference.  Hogs would probably have a top 3-4 recruiting class in the Big12 most years.

3kgthog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 19, 2017, 09:00:54 am
Those are the people who just sort of wing it...never balance checkbook, that sort of thing.

Who still writes checks?

hogcard1964

Quote from: jst01 on September 19, 2017, 11:08:49 am
AR could do the same thing if they would get out of this conference.  Hogs would probably have a top 3-4 recruiting class in the Big12 most years.

It's all about money.  Arkansas is a little fish in a great big bowl of money right now and they're not inclined to move in order to improve their program.

It's money that matters.

hogsanity

Quote from: jst01 on September 19, 2017, 08:02:40 am

Except most posters here apparently. They think we just need a coach and players that " want it " more.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 09:19:15 am

And changing coaches every 5 years is not going to fix any of those things. Will it hurt, probably not, but it is not going to fix it either.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogwild

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on September 19, 2017, 09:03:58 am
Regular season SEC games
Kines 3-4-1   43.75%
Nutt 42-38  55%
Petrino 19-13  59.375%
Bielema 10-22 31.25%

Total 88-100-2 46.6%

That website isn't accurate, BP was not 19-13, he was 17-15.

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on September 19, 2017, 11:21:14 am
And changing coaches every 5 years is not going to fix any of those things. Will it hurt, probably not, but it is not going to fix it either.

I've laid out for you a dozen times how Arkansas can outperform

It's all about maximizing skill players.

HF#1

Do we have that now?

No
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin