Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Meyer leaves town

Started by M-16, January 22, 2006, 08:59:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BloodRedHog

This thread is careening toward absurd...again, visibility and TV exposure will not enhance his chances to get drafted...the NFL combine will.

If DW's ultimate goal is to play on Sunday, and that goal factors into his college decision, the only things that matter are playing time and offensive system.

If DW wants to win a championship, THEN he might look at FL first...but with MM, GM and AW, that is up for debate.

The fact that he played for the offensive coordinator, knows the QB, and hears the OC say we will run a balanced offense (not the run first, run second, pass in desperation scheme we have had) and the fact he will not have to compete for playing time with 6 other 4 or 5-star receivers  should make his decision easy.
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

DukeOfPork

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 22, 2006, 09:59:49 pm
Quote from: PorkPariah on January 22, 2006, 09:49:18 pm
Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 22, 2006, 09:16:47 pm.........if I had the skills Williams has, I'd feel my NFL chances are better off at a school like Florida. More national exposure (even on a down year), more tradition, better coach, a pass-happy offense.

"Pass happy"?

UF still runs more then they throw. 455 rushing attempts vs. 385 pass attempts.

I would use the term "balanced" to describe UF. "Pass happy" is not the correct term for their offense.

I expect that with Gus calling the shots, we will have at least as many pass attempts as Florida the next four years. In fact, I would expect that once Mitch steps into the starting role, we may very well pass MORE then UF over that period.

Traditionally they pass more than they throw. Especially if you compare them to us, they're pass-happy.

That's a ridiculous assertion.  The "tradition" you refer to is a result of the coach who is now at South Carolina - not Urban Meyer.

"Traditionally", Spurrier is "pass happy"; Urban Meyer is not.  But now even Spurrier has had to adjust his offense to a more ball controlled philosphy.

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: ZAP743 on January 22, 2006, 09:34:40 pm
Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 22, 2006, 09:30:38 pm
Quote from: ZAP743 on January 22, 2006, 09:28:56 pm
Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 22, 2006, 09:24:41 pm
All I said was it gives him a better chance. Look how many receivers are in the NFL from Florida compared to Arkansas. I understand the NFL finds talent regardless of where they are. I just offered my opinion that I think going to Florida over Arkansas gives him a better chance at it. I don't want him to. I want him here. But, the opportunity to play for NUtt would send me somewhere else, too.

The main reason that FL has more WR's in the NFL now than AR is because in recent years, Arkansas has been down and just hasn't had the talent that FL has. Now AR is on an upswing and will begin getting the talent to come. It's not just because they are from FL.

I agree with the statement that if you have the talent, the NFL will take you.

Again, Matt Jones was drafted in the 1st round as a WR after playing QB!! If you have the talent you'll go!!

I wouldn't say we are on an upswing until we start winning games.

Well what i meant by upswing, is the type of players that are being attracted to UA compared to in the past!! Sorry, should've made that a little more clear! I agree, we have to start winning games to really get things going, but i was referring to recruiting!

What kind of kids have we got other than Mustain that are really stand-out, top athletes?

HatfieldHog

Quote from: Hugehogsfan on January 22, 2006, 09:07:20 pm
Quote from: M-16 on January 22, 2006, 08:59:56 pm
And I'M thinking it's not going to be good news for Damon Williams fans. This kid is smart enough to know that it's a big deal for a head coach from a top program to walk into your living room. He has to like that kind of attention.

And let us all remember what the kids father said right after Springdale won the state title. A microphone was stuck in his face and he didn't stutter, he said "As long as Houston Nutt is head coach, my son will not play there". Now that's pretty clear. I don't know what kind of relationship the young Williams has with his father, but I'm guessing it's a solid relationship.

Houston was out of the picture during a very important time for a important kid in his back yard. Maybe he thought it would be best if he put it into other coaches hands. You never know how a kid views things with his HS coach pulling him one way, and a top university head man tugs you another?

All I can do is comment on this situation and I will stick with my guns. At UF he will be just another face from out of town. At U of A he could do some amazing things with his HS team mates. But you have to let a teenager make his own decision at this point in his young life.
First of all his name is Damian. And you don't stick with your guns but you stick to your guns. Anyway we will find out before too long what he is going to do.

One thing about it HugeHogsFan, you have an eye for the absurd.  It sounds like both of us have nothing to talk about, but we just can't stop clicking!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

BigoBoys

I saw the interview after the game and DW's dad did not say that.  Why would you post something like that?

BigoBoys

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 22, 2006, 09:16:47 pm.........if I had the skills Williams has, I'd feel my NFL chances are better off at a school like Florida. More national exposure (even on a down year), more tradition, better coach, a pass-happy offense.
I don't understand your comment.  "They pass more than they throw"  What does that mean? 

"Pass happy"?

I would use the term "balanced" to describe UF. "Pass happy" is not the correct term for their offense.

I expect that with Gus calling the shots, we will have at least as many pass attempts as Florida the next four years. In fact, I would expect that once Mitch steps into the starting role, we may very well pass MORE then UF over that period.

Traditionally they pass more than they throw. Especially if you compare them to us, they're pass-happy.

BigoBoys

"Pass happy"?

What does that mean?  They pass more than they throw?  Sounds like you've been driniking. 

manofsteelhog

QuoteIf I wanted to go to the NFL, I'd pick Florida over Arkansas in a second. I wouldn't even think twice. If he goes to Florida to better his chances of going to the NFL, then he's making the right decision.

OK...I don't know about the idea of definitely picking Florida in a second over Arkansas so you have better chances of going to the NFL.  If you go back and look at Florida's offense this past season their run/pass ratio was right there with Arkansas.  Now if you take those same opportunities (lets say 300 pass plays in a 12 game season)  to get the ball in the air as a receiver on both ball clubs, which team do you think would create the most opportunities for Damian to get more balls thrown his way throughout the season, and college FB carrier?

1.  The team that is implementing the offense that he knows better than any college offense in the country.  This offense is also catered perfectly to his game as the type of receiver who likes to get the ball on short routes and obtain yards after the catch (tunnel screens, etc.) as well as bust the deep one from time to time with Mitch Mustain's impressive accuracy.  There are a few receivers on campus that will compete for time with Damian, but how many top 25, or even top 50 programs will he run into that will legitimately have 0 WR's on campus with 0 competition for him when he sets foot on the field for the 1st time in August?

2.  The team that will have 19 WR's on Gator campus from what I have seen (give or take a couple) next year, with 2 WR out of THIS recruiting class that are slated to be better.  If things shake out like the experts that study high school talent for a living say it will, that puts Damian as the "3rd down" receiver just on the all freshman team for Florida.  Where does that put him on the entire roster?  Probably lower    further down the bench.  How many passes do you predict come Damian's way in those 300 pass attempts in this offense compared to the Hogs offense?  I am guessing significantly lower than the Hogs.  You can't play the card that coming to Arkansas results in putting up better numbers against lower competition obviously because the SEC is the SEC no matter how you sugar coat it.  (Oh yeah....this competitive USC Trojans team I have been hearing about lately is apparently going to bring their "A" game to Fayetteville in a non-conference battle this fall).   

The team that is also preparing to have Tim Tebow at the helm of the offense when Leak moves on who has ZERO patience in the pocket and will tuck it and run at the slightest break of the pocket (not that this will be a bad thing for the Gators because Tebow is a freak of nature but sticking to the topic of preparation for the NFL as a receiver...this is jeopardizing). 

Ask this to yourself  "Self...who do we have on campus at Arkansas that is going to eliminate Damian's opportunities to have passes thrown his way?  Who does Florida have on campus or have that is Gator bound that will do this?" 

These random thoughts circle back around to the theory that all of the tools are in place on The Hill and all of the planets are lining up correctly for Damian to have the perfect opportunity to have a stellar college career wearing the :razorback: oh his helmet.  I am not going to pretend to believe I know what is going on in his head that is making this a tough decision but I am guessing the idea that Florida is proven in sending WR's to the NFL vs. Arkansas being unproven is on his list somewhere. 

Take it.....chew it up and spit it right back....whatever you like.  After all...I am just a Hogville walk on.   8)

whatsshakinbacon

anybody who has access to scout might be able to pick up some updated info on Damian.  There is a story posted today/tonight on the latest on him.  Also, they removed the official visit date of 1/20 that they had been showing for Damian to Arkansas.  It was an unofficial visit, as has been said on this site, which probably means they have removed that date.

Let us know if you have the scout membership what they're saying.

Bacon out...

preunions

"As long as Houston Nutt is head coach, my son will not play there"

I really doubt David Williams said that... David made Damian "touchdowns for Jesus" towels for him to wear... after getting to know Mr. williamas a little- I can't imagine him saying anything like this. They always said nice things about Houston when I asked... i didn't believe all their answers...

Ugly Uncle

I've also heard good things about Mr. Williams.
Retired Radio Host

bigred7987

Anyone have access to rivals premium boards or scout.com....apparently big update on Williams.  Could be shoring up his verbal and saying things are still wide open?

ccrsd

It seems that Urban Meyer didn't make it to Springdale so not exactly sure how he could have left.........

I saw the interview with Damian's dad and neverheard it said or reported.  Hmmmmmmmm strange.

bigred7987

Wasn't he once a soft verbal to Florida?  It has him to a solid verbal right now? =-/

bigred7987

[quoteIt seems that Urban Meyer didn't make it to Springdale so not exactly sure how he could have left.........
]
Where did u hear that?

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: bigred7987 on January 22, 2006, 10:50:52 pm
Wasn't he once a soft verbal to Florida? It has him to a solid verbal right now? =-/

Somebody started a thread saying he was a soft verbal....  Everyone went to the site and found that he was still listed as a solid verbal.  The guy who started the thread said he may have mis-read it and it was solid verbal all along.  Much ado about nothing...but good memory on your part!

Bacon out...

bigred7987

phew...although the message topics on the rivals premium boards don't look that promising but who knows

Thrilbilly

January 22, 2006, 10:55:08 pm #67 Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 10:57:44 pm by Thrilbilly
Trey Biddy just reported on chann. 4 that Meyer was in Williams home as we speak!

bigred7987

can't stand this suspense...need to take some sleeping pills and just find out about this in the morning

stronguard

C'Mon Mike, give us some of that infamous insight that has served you so well lately.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Thrilbilly on January 22, 2006, 10:55:08 pm
Trey Biddy just reported on chann. 4 that Meyer was in his home as we speak!

One of the payboards reported that Urban Meyer originally had an in home scheduled for Friday...which was postponed because of Damian commitments.  That may be where the postponement story is coming from.  It is my understanding that Meyer has been in the Williams household tonight but is already gone.

Bacon out...

stronguard

Thank you Mike Threl...I am sure the advice will prove valuable.

Now to clarify...Mike IRWIN.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Kilgor

gatorbait.net says:

Rain "...pushed back the flight and Damian has a student council meeting in the morning. It will occur sometime during the week."

http://florida.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=865&tid=67270200&sid=&style=2

How reliable is that? I don't know.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

manofsteelhog

Seems logical with all of the rain that has left our state today heading East.