Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ACC Network to Launch in 2019

Started by NaturalStateReb, July 19, 2016, 04:24:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturalStateReb

ESPN will launch the ACC Network channel in 2019, although the channel will broadcast digitally before that.

Looks like the Big XII will be the conference that will implode between now and the early 2020's.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/17102933/acc-espn-agree-20-year-rights-deal-lead-2019-launch-acc-network
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Hawghiggs

I don't think that the Big 12 will implode any time soon. We haven't seen a few things play out yet. Like will the playoff be expanded in 10 years. Having a championship game with just 10 teams. Will the NCAA move to allow 8 or 9 team conferences to have championship games.  If the NCAA does allow 8 team conferences and the playoff is expanded. Then look out. There would be no reason to actually be in these mega-conferences. Heck. The current SEC west would be as good as most conferences now.

Tusks

I thought the big 12 already had a channel .... the cartoon network.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawghiggs on July 19, 2016, 05:20:41 pm
I don't think that the Big 12 will implode any time soon. We haven't seen a few things play out yet. Like will the playoff be expanded in 10 years. Having a championship game with just 10 teams. Will the NCAA move to allow 8 or 9 team conferences to have championship games.  If the NCAA does allow 8 team conferences and the playoff is expanded. Then look out. There would be no reason to actually be in these mega-conferences. Heck. The current SEC west would be as good as most conferences now.

I don't see the NCAA allowing 8 or 9 conference teams to have a playoff. The Big 12 has one with only 10 but even they are wanting to expand. The ACC's new deal certainly lessens their options a great deal though.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawghiggs

Quote from: GuvHog on July 19, 2016, 06:27:35 pm
I don't see the NCAA allowing 8 or 9 conference teams to have a playoff. The Big 12 has one with only 10 but even they are wanting to expand. The ACC's new deal certainly lessens their options a great deal though.

The NCAA will allow anything anymore. Especially if the playoff expands to 8 or 16.

Arkansas Fan

We all know that people all over the country watch the SEC Network, even if they're not SEC fans.

Murr

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 20, 2016, 12:25:50 am
We all know that people all over the country watch the SEC Network, even if they're not SEC fans.

They love Paul Finebaum.

Murr

The important part is that tha ACC extended the GOR for 20 years, thus locking in all those teams in and preventing them from getting poached in realignment.

The PAC-12 and the Big 12 are considered volunerable.

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: Hawghiggs on July 19, 2016, 06:44:33 pm
The NCAA will allow anything anymore. Especially if the playoff expands to 8 or 16.

I really am not trying to bust your chops here, but what is your source for your various claims from here and your other above posts? I hear (read) a lot of certitude about possible outcomes that I have heard or read about nowhere else and you provide no links. Absent a link or two so we can look at what you are using as a basis for your claims, it would seem to be pretty specious, maybe even GuvHog levels of wrong... But, carry on.
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawghiggs on July 19, 2016, 06:44:33 pm

I respectfully disagree.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Rison Razor Hog on July 20, 2016, 02:08:13 pm
I really am not trying to bust your chops here, but what is your source for your various claims from here and your other above posts? I hear (read) a lot of certitude about possible outcomes that I have heard or read about nowhere else and you provide no links. Absent a link or two so we can look at what you are using as a basis for your claims, it would seem to be pretty specious, maybe even GuvHog levels of wrong... But, carry on.

Things that we know to  be true.
1st. The NCAA changed the formula for having a conference championship game. The PAC-10 would have never expanded had these rules been in place several years ago. Maybe even the SEC way back when.

2nd. The amount of money being made off of the playoff. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/20890401/espn-puts-an-early-value-on-a-playoff-close-to-500-per-year  That's what they spent on a four game playoff.

3rd, The length of the contract.  http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=8660281

Hawghiggs

Quote from: GuvHog on July 20, 2016, 03:13:26 pm
I respectfully disagree.
With what? My assumption of the NCAA or the playoff expansion. Because it will expand as attendance at bowl games keep declining. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/12/25/college-football-bowl-games-attendance-bahamas-camellia-espn/20896969/

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawghiggs on July 20, 2016, 03:29:26 pm
With what? My assumption of the NCAA or the playoff expansion. Because it will expand as attendance at bowl games keep declining. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/12/25/college-football-bowl-games-attendance-bahamas-camellia-espn/20896969/

Your assumption of the NCAA. I agree the playoff will eventually expand. I honestly believe though, that we'll wind up with only four 16 team mega conferences when it's all said and done.

Quote from: Murr on July 20, 2016, 12:33:55 am
The important part is that tha ACC extended the GOR for 20 years, thus locking in all those teams in and preventing them from getting poached in realignment.

The PAC-12 and the Big 12 are considered volunerable.
I don't think the Pac-12 is considered vulnerable. Hard to see anyone leaving that conference and their revenues are strong. Eventually Texas will be in the Pac-X too.