Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jared Cornelius named to Paul Hornung Award Watch List

Started by jbcarol, July 15, 2016, 10:04:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Louisville, KY. — Friday, July 15, 2016 — The Louisville Sports Commission today named 43 multi-talented college football players to the 2016 Watch List for the Paul Hornung Award

QuotePaul Hornung Award, now in its seventh season, is given annually to the most versatile player in major college football by the Louisville Sports Commission and football legend and Louisville native Paul Hornung.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Hogs run wild

we've got so many weapons. I wonder how much he'll see the field.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

colbs

Quote from: Hogs run wild on July 15, 2016, 10:11:16 am
a lot, he will start again this year. 

longpig

Quote from: colbs on July 15, 2016, 10:14:13 am
a lot, he will start again this year.

That's what I'm thinking, won't be surprised if he separates himself from ALL the WRs.  Hopefully he gets those leg cramps sorted out, too.
Don't be scared, be smart.

bolo1010

I think Dominique Reed will have some amazing numbers this year.  Dude is NFL talent

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: Hogs run wild on July 15, 2016, 10:11:16 am
Even with all the weapons we have, he stands out as a unique talent. He's got HH hands with Joe Adams-esque moves. The kid's going to be on the field as much they can get him.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

bennyl08

Quote from: longpig on July 15, 2016, 12:12:23 pm
That's what I'm thinking, won't be surprised if he separates himself from ALL the WRs.  Hopefully he gets those leg cramps sorted out, too.

IDK, I think our WR's are very diversified.

Cornelius is like our Joe Adams or bigger Percy Harvin type. He is very hard to tackle, and accelerates very quickly. When we want WR tosses, it's usually him we give it to.

Morgan is our Welker/Edelman. He isn't the biggest or fastest guy we have. However, he has very reliable hands and a knack for getting open. Kind of a security blanket.

Hatcher is our Anquan Boldin. He is big, and he is very physical. When the ball is in the air, it is his. When the ball is in his hands, he wants to hurt the DB. When the play isn't going to him, he's going put his all into blocking.

Reed is our Randy Moss. He is tall, and is blazing fast. I.e. would not be surprised to see him run a sub 4.4 forty. His route running improved each game last year, and with his size and athleticism, he can seemingly leap into the heavens themselves to snag a pass.

In the background, we have Pettway who's style reminds of a Jarius Wright or a Larry Fitzgerald type, Stewart who is also in the Adams/Steve Smith role, and Jordan Jones reminds me of an Amari Cooper type.

Keep in mind, having a player's style doesn't guarantee their success. For example, Knile Davis was very much in the Arian Foster mold of RB's. He is equivalently in the Bryce Brown mold as well. Both have the same playing style, but have had very different amounts of success, and more people know Arian Foster than Bryce Brown, therefore, that is the comparison.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

daBoar

Quote from: Poppa Tart on July 15, 2016, 02:23:32 pm
Even with all the weapons we have, he stands out as a unique talent. He's got HH hands with Joe Adams-esque moves. The kid's going to be on the field as much they can get him.
I concur, and a silky smooth runner.  Just looks good at WR.

longpig

Quote from: bolo1010 on July 15, 2016, 02:00:32 pm
I think Dominique Reed will have some amazing numbers this year.  Dude is NFL talent

How many 6-3 175 lb NFL players are there?
Don't be scared, be smart.

LZH

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

bolo1010

Quote from: longpig on July 15, 2016, 03:09:02 pm
How many 6-3 175 lb NFL players are there?

I didn't say NFL size.  I said NFL talent. 6' 3" isn't that short for a receiver honestly and if he puts on a little more muscle he would be a perfect size receiver so I really don't understand what that question's point was. With his speed and athleticism and hands, I think he has a great shot at the NFL.

razorbackkid

Jared will have an excellent year.  He'll be our #1 receiver.  He has that git-a-long after he catches the ball to move the sticks.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 15, 2016, 02:39:32 pm
IDK, I think our WR's are very diversified.

Cornelius is like our Joe Adams or bigger Percy Harvin type. He is very hard to tackle, and accelerates very quickly. When we want WR tosses, it's usually him we give it to.

Morgan is our Welker/Edelman. He isn't the biggest or fastest guy we have. However, he has very reliable hands and a knack for getting open. Kind of a security blanket.

Hatcher is our Anquan Boldin. He is big, and he is very physical. When the ball is in the air, it is his. When the ball is in his hands, he wants to hurt the DB. When the play isn't going to him, he's going put his all into blocking.

Reed is our Randy Moss. He is tall, and is blazing fast. I.e. would not be surprised to see him run a sub 4.4 forty. His route running improved each game last year, and with his size and athleticism, he can seemingly leap into the heavens themselves to snag a pass.

In the background, we have Pettway who's style reminds of a Jarius Wright or a Larry Fitzgerald type, Stewart who is also in the Adams/Steve Smith role, and Jordan Jones reminds me of an Amari Cooper type.

Keep in mind, having a player's style doesn't guarantee their success. For example, Knile Davis was very much in the Arian Foster mold of RB's. He is equivalently in the Bryce Brown mold as well. Both have the same playing style, but have had very different amounts of success, and more people know Arian Foster than Bryce Brown, therefore, that is the comparison.
Remind me to give you a +1 whenever they bring karma back. Well said.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

bennyl08

Quote from: bolo1010 on July 15, 2016, 11:00:35 pm
I didn't say NFL size.  I said NFL talent. 6' 3" isn't that short for a receiver honestly and if he puts on a little more muscle he would be a perfect size receiver so I really don't understand what that question's point was. With his speed and athleticism and hands, I think he has a great shot at the NFL.

IIRC 6'3" is technically on the taller side or WR's in the NFL. It's the 175 that's the issue.

average WR his height would be around 225 pounds n the NFL, with a guestimated range of about 200-240. He needs to have a body that can withstand the punishment of the NFL and absorb the blow while also being strong enough to get off of press coverage and avoid being thrown off his route. If I was a DC, I'd want somebody to come in and press Reed every play with safety help over top.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

The Big O Oliver Squeeler

Dominique Reed
Drew Morgan

These guys will stand out IMO this year.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 18, 2016, 07:02:35 pm
IIRC 6'3" is technically on the taller side or WR's in the NFL. It's the 175 that's the issue.

average WR his height would be around 225 pounds n the NFL, with a guestimated range of about 200-240. He needs to have a body that can withstand the punishment of the NFL and absorb the blow while also being strong enough to get off of press coverage and avoid being thrown off his route. If I was a DC, I'd want somebody to come in and press Reed every play with safety help over top.
There is literally 1 yellow dot separated from all the others that most closely resembles his measurements

bennyl08

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on July 18, 2016, 11:04:05 pm
There is literally 1 yellow dot separated from all the others that most closely resembles his measurements

Yep, and even that person is 10+ pounds heavier than Reed and shows that such a ht/wt difference is extremely rare in the NFL. Further, that lists all players on an active roster from 2013 IIRC, so no guarantee that the person was successful.

It is certainly possible for Reed to have a good career at this weight. However, like starting with a 2/7 off suit, you shouldn't bet on it. Now, if Reed was at 200-210, based off what his combine projects to, he'd be a borderline first round talent. However, question is, can he keep that speed with the extra 25+ pounds? He's been here a full year with Herb and has barely added any weight being listed at 172 when he signed up, 180 last fall, 175 this spring, and 175 again this fall.

Jimbob111

It still blows me away that Drew Morgan doesn't get more respect. All he did was save the Hogs' season last year. Without him, the Hogs are 3 and 9. Whatever the measureables of the other receivers, he produced on the field. didn't he lead the SEC in receptions and possibly yards receiving? Name him to some watch lists.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

PonderinHog

Quote from: Jimbob111 on July 19, 2016, 09:13:50 am
It still blows me away that Drew Morgan doesn't get more respect. All he did was save the Hogs' season last year. Without him, the Hogs are 3 and 9. Whatever the measureables of the other receivers, he produced on the field. didn't he lead the SEC in receptions and possibly yards receiving? Name him to some watch lists.
Okay!   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=614437.0