Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs picked 5th in SECW at Media Days

Started by Atlhogfan1, July 14, 2016, 02:43:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 15, 2016, 09:37:12 am
Either last year or before - Mike Irwin gave the record of these media days predictions and they are pretty bad. Needless to say they are a waste of time.

You can also think of the media guys as "delegates". How many did Arkansas send compared to Bama, Auburn or LSU.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Biggus Piggus

As far as opinion-changing goes...

Arkansas's outlook was more optimistic than the SEC media contingent had anticipated. They expected much more uncertainty about the quality at QB, RB and on defense.

Problem is, they came away with much more optimistic views about Ole Miss and Texas A&M.

Many were swayed by the star power on those teams. That is why not many walked away thinking Arkansas could duplicate its 5-3 SEC record.

Also, people defaulted once again to the assumption that LSU will beat the Hogs, regardless of the fact that the Tigers have to come to Fayetteville again the week after facing Alabama.

Should we believe that LSU is going to steamroll its entire schedule?

Plus - it's as though everybody disregarded the 5-3 SEC record of last season, in part because Arkansas had a surprisingly slow start in September. Why should that matter? Weird.

Arkansas lost three top performers in Brandon Allen, Alex Collins and Hunter Henry. Do the Hogs have more than a sketchy plan to replace those players, yes. I think the whole backfield situation might be better due to improved depth. But people have heard Bret Bielema for several years now, and they are going to sit back and wait for him to prove it.
[CENSORED]!

trashcan maN

Quote from: ricepig on July 14, 2016, 06:05:55 pm
Nope, no litmus test, although I'm surprised you know what it means.
Hey you're pretty funny when you're dumping on other fans lmao

trashcan maN

Quote from: hawganatic on July 15, 2016, 09:29:39 am
Didn't we beat Auburn and Ole Miss last season?  They use a lot of tempo.  Should have beat A&M but gave the game back to them.

Doesn't seem like we were THAT bad against tempo offenses...
We seem to struggle against teams that spread out over the entire field. Ole Miss, Toledo, TAMU, TTU etc. Mobile QBs make it worse. Thank God Ely stayed in the pocket.

longpig

Quote from: buffaload on July 15, 2016, 08:06:44 am
You've been shopping recently in one of those specialty stores in Colorado haven't you?

*wellness centers
Don't be scared, be smart.

staffhog

These guys haven't figured us out yet.

tannerstahl

As a Diehard HOG fan, I'm trying to be objective and rational...and here's how I see our schedule this year...the problem is, when I look at it and see I have us finishing 9-3, 6-2... Even I think I'm crazy ...I guess I just don't know what to expect from the hogs this season...but I'm ready for the ride! It can't get here quick enough!!

LT -W
TCU -L
TSU -W
aTm -W
Alc -W
Bama -L
OM -L
Aub -W
Fla -W
LSU -W
MSU -W
Miz -W

I hope I'm wrong and we go 12-0!
i love the hogs....so very very much

razorbackkid

It will be whatever it turns out to be.  I'm ready for the season to start.  I love college football, but I enjoy it more win our Hogs win, but the Earth continues to turn when we don't.

:razorback:
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

RazorbackBassist

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

jdelo77

Tcu game could set the tone for the season , get a win and that's a nice feather in our cap !! 

mhsbc59

I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

southeasthog

Quote from: trashcan maN on July 15, 2016, 12:02:19 pm
We seem to struggle against teams that spread out over the entire field. Ole Miss, Toledo, TAMU, TTU etc. Mobile QBs make it worse. Thank God Ely stayed in the pocket.
Defense didn't struggle against Toledo. Red Zone offense did.

Mike Irwin

There are several venues at SEC Media Days. The so called "Big Room" is the most interesting and professional. These are the newspaper guys. It's often claimed here that newspapers are dying. I don't know about that but compared to the rest of the media these people come across like experts.

There are individual rooms for CBS, CBS Radio and ESPN radio. On the main second floor lobby there's the ESPN TV set.

The local TV room is a joke. It is overcrowded and poorly moderated. Alabama and LSU TV types dominate this room. They hog the microphone often passing it between each other instead of giving it back to the girl who is responsible for making sure that everybody gets a shot at asking a question. They ask multiple questions when one question has been the rule for years.

Here's an example: One LSU TV guy seemed to own the mic. He asked every Razorback why Arkansas has had so much success against LSU recently. They gave various answers but Brooks Ellis seemed to amuse him. When Ellis said he is extra motivated against LSU because of "the boot" the guy wanted to know what was so special about the boot. Ellis said he liked going over to the LSU sidelines and taking it away from them two years ago and last year he liked looking at it and knowing it was going back home to Arkansas.

The LSU TV guy then asked, "So you like this boot trophy?"

"Yes, I do," Ellis answered.

"Really?" the guy continued.

"Really," Ellis affirmed.

At that point I could hear snickering all across the front where the LSU & Alabama TV guys were sitting.

Way too many of these people come across like self important punks.

Dr. Starcs

If that cheesy looking trophy is what helps us keep kicking their corn dog a$$e$ every year, then sign me up.

colbs

LSU fans look for any excuse to why they haven't just dominated the series the last 10 years or so.  Anything from  they aren't in the NC picture late in the year when playing Arkansas they have already packed it in because that is all they care about. or They don't care as much about the rivalry.  I just find it funny and seeing Tiger stadium empty in the 4th last year was epic.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 14, 2016, 05:19:46 pm
I tire of LSU. Every year we hear about their superior talent and how they are going to dominate. Horse hockey. This is the same LSU team that has scored a grand total of 14 points in two years versus a lesser talented Arkansas defense than we'll have this year. No one takes that into account. We are going to have to win the conference one time to ever get our just respects. Maybe this is the year. The SEC MEDIA predictions should be posted on every set of weight lifting equipment in the HOG IRON room over the Summer. If that BS can't get you fired up, nothing can.

LSU can't beat us because they have no passing game.  They have no passing game because their coach apparently doesn't want to have one.  That one really innovative play he loves so much...the one where he has his alleged QB turn and pitch the ball to Fournette so he can run it straight up the middle...reminds me of an infantry charge into machine gun fire at Verdun.

Miles...doing less with more year after year after year.  He is an absolute numbskull.  The people who kept him around when LSU had a chance to get rid of him last year should face termination...or a firing squad.

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 20, 2016, 03:20:39 pm
LSU can't beat us because they have no passing game.  They have no passing game because their coach apparently doesn't want to have one.  That one really innovative play he loves so much...the one where he has his alleged QB turn and pitch the ball to Fournette so he can run it straight up the middle...reminds me of an infantry charge into machine gun fire at Verdun.

Miles...doing less with more year after year after year.  He is an absolute numbskull.  The people who kept him around when LSU had a chance to get rid of him last year should face termination...or a firing squad.

SSShhhhhh!!! We wouldn't want that little nugget to be passed along to the general public down there in Corndog land, lol!  ;)
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

GuvHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 20, 2016, 03:20:39 pm

Our best friends that live in Lafayette, LA are big LSU fans and they actually agree with you.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!