Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The SEC has 3 of the top 5 in the latest Coaches Hot Seat!

Started by Hoggie17, October 01, 2017, 10:10:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggie17

imtad16

Orgeron was such a bad hire. Their offense hasn't even changed the smallest measurement sense he took over. Which may not be completely his fault, but this was the reason Les was shown the door. I think we were all hoping Joe Alleva would make that hire and luckily they were drawn in by his melodic voice. Man, I hope we get at least 1 4 star recruit as a result this recruiting cycle as that thing continues to melt down.

SPAL

CBB has a warm seat for sure. His buyout keeps it cool. But, if he only wins 4 or 5 this season, next season will be his last if he doesn't win 7 or 8

GoHogs1091

The Athletic Directors at those 3 schools should probably also be on the hot seat.  All 3 Head Coaches were bad hires.

We know though that Long has a lofty and almost untouchable status.

ShadowHawg

Orgeron may not be popular but LSU just paid Miles nearly 12 mil. That is Orgeron's buyout amount as well.

He is in zero danger of being fired.

Hoggie17

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 01, 2017, 10:34:28 pm
CBB has a warm seat for sure. His buyout keeps it cool. But, if he only wins 4 or 5 this season, next season will be his last if he doesn't win 7 or 8
Looking ahead at Ark's schedule, the SEC teams are weak. Ole Miss is in melt down and LSU is not for far behind. Missouri is very beatable. Only 2 teams are better than us:  Auburn and Ala.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: imtad16 on October 01, 2017, 10:32:48 pm
Orgeron was such a bad hire. Their offense hasn't even changed the smallest measurement sense he took over. Which may not be completely his fault, but this was the reason Les was shown the door. I think we were all hoping Joe Alleva would make that hire and luckily they were drawn in by his melodic voice. Man, I hope we get at least 1 4 star recruit as a result this recruiting cycle as that thing continues to melt down.

What is comical is some of their fans over on their message board are clamoring for Robert Petrino.

The same Robert Petrino that Ed Orgeron tore up in a bowl game this past bowl season.

I guess to some of their fans it makes sense to fire Orgeron and replace him with someone who couldn't win against Orgeron.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 01, 2017, 10:48:17 pm
What is comical is some of their fans over on their message board are clamoring for Robert Petrino.

The same Robert Petrino that Ed Orgeron tore up in a bowl game this past bowl season.

I guess to some of their fans it makes sense to fire Orgeron and replace him with someone who couldn't win against Orgeron.

You can't be serious.

hogsanity

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 01, 2017, 10:35:32 pm
The Athletic Directors at those 3 schools should probably also be on the hot seat.  All 3 Head Coaches were bad hires.

You can say all 3 were bad hires, but only in hindsight on the BB hire. He had just won 3 consecutive BIG10 titles. Hiring that guy at any school was not a bad hire at the time. Not work out, sure, lots of hires don't work out, but they were no bad when they were made.

Jones at TN, yea, but he was a hot name at the time. O at LSU, that had disaster written on it when it happened.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 01, 2017, 10:48:17 pm

NO, what their fans want is what Hog fans have whined about for pretty much my 47 years on earth. They want that pigskin in the air, they see what others have, and want it. Kind of like how enamored with Baylor many of our fans were just 3 short years ago. They wanted Briles, his offense, creativity, and some would still take him even knowing now how he ran his program.

Lsu wants a guy who might actually bring in a decent QB. LSu's Qb is just sad, and has been for about a decade.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HotlantaHog

Orgeron is a terrible hire but you don't fire the coach after a year. You are better off to fire the AD.

jkstock04

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HotlantaHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 02, 2017, 09:07:40 am
NO, what their fans want is what Hog fans have whined about for pretty much my 47 years on earth. They want that pigskin in the air, they see what others have, and want it. Kind of like how enamored with Baylor many of our fans were just 3 short years ago. They wanted Briles, his offense, creativity, and some would still take him even knowing now how he ran his program.

Lsu wants a guy who might actually bring in a decent QB. LSu's Qb is just sad, and has been for about a decade.
Hog fans would be happy if Hogs were to start winning at a high level. How you get there is less important to basically everyone I know.

HotlantaHog

Orgeron was the worst hire of the three -- was pretty obvious from the start it would be a disaster. They need to sack the AD who was responsible.

Butch and CBB made sense at least on paper at the time of the hiring.

rljjr

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 01, 2017, 10:35:32 pm

You can't possibly believe CBB was a bad hire. That's revisionist history. CBB was about as big of a home run hire at the time if you remember the state of the John L experiment. You may not have liked CBB, but doggone it, Clint Conque was just not available!

ricepig

jcbville

Panic hire after they realized their timing on the Les firing was insanely bad and they couldn't get who they wanted.

Nationally people were shocked we got Bielema. It was considered a great hire. Biggest name to move that off season. It hasn't worked out, but you can't say it was a "bad hire" like the other two.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Karma on October 02, 2017, 11:11:19 am
Nationally people were shocked we got Bielema. It was considered a great hire. Biggest name to move that off season. It hasn't worked out, but you can't say it was a "bad hire" like the other two.

Proof is in the puddin.  It may have seemed to have been a good hire, but time has proven it to be a bad hire.

jcbville

People quickly forget. I remember the talking heads saying things equivalent to "Why in the world would he (CBB) jump to a place like Arkansas?" etc... Now has it been all Rose Bowls since then? No sadly it has not. But at the time it was a great hire.

hogcard1964

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 01, 2017, 10:34:28 pm

Supposedly he's been told he has to win 16 between this season and next season.  If he only wins four or five this year, he's going to have to win 11 or 12 next season.  I'm sorry, but that's not going to happen.

If he doesn't go bowling this season, he'll be fired in the offseason.

hogcard1964

Not by folks that know the Big 10.

jcbville

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 02, 2017, 11:43:58 am
Not by folks that know the Big 10.

By that train of thought Saban looked like a bad hire when LSU hired him. As a matter of fact I'd say CBB looked like a better hire when he was hired from Wisky compared to what Saban looked like coming from MSU at the time he was hired by LSU.

jcbville

1995–1997‍—‌Beginning in 1995, Saban moderately improved Michigan State's fortunes, taking the Spartans to minor bowl games (all of which they lost by double-digit margins) in each of his first three seasons. From 1995 to 1997, Michigan State finished 6–5–1, 6–6, and 7–5. In comparison, MSU had finished 5–6, 6–6 and 5–6 (prior to NCAA forfeits) in 1992–1994.

1998‍—‌On November 7, 1998, the Spartans upset the No. 1 ranked Ohio State 28–24 at Ohio Stadium. However, even after the upset and an early-season rout of then-highly ranked Notre Dame the Spartans finished 6–6, including three last-minute losses featuring turnovers, defensive lapses, and special-teams misplays, and failed to earn a bowl invitation.

1999‍—‌Saban led the Spartans to a 9–2 season that included wins over Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State. However, the two losses were routs at the hands of Purdue and Wisconsin. Following the final regular-season game against Penn State, Saban abruptly resigned to accept the head coaching position with LSU.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Saban

Thats Sabans record at MSU when LSU hired him. If Arkansas hired him today from there with that record Jeff Long and Nick Saban would be crucified on Hogville. Just sayin.

hogcard1964

Quote from: jcbville on October 02, 2017, 11:46:39 am
By that train of thought Saban looked like a bad hire when LSU hired him. As a matter of fact I'd say CBB looked like a better hire when he was hired from Wisky compared to what Saban looked like coming from MSU at the time he was hired by LSU.

That's not what I implied.  Everyone that knows anything about Big 10 football knew he had a history of coming up short in big games.

KennyForAD

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 02, 2017, 11:43:17 am
Supposedly he's been told he has to win 16 between this season and next season.  If he only wins four or five this year, he's going to have to win 11 or 12 next season.  I'm sorry, but that's not going to happen.

If he doesn't go bowling this season, he'll be fired in the offseason.

lol. 

cjack

One way I judge a coach's success or value is what happened to the former team when a coach leaves for another job and how much does the coach improve the team he goes to.  In our case, which is the only one I care about, Wisconsin did not struggle after losing Bielema.  His departure had no negative impact on the football program.  Since he's been here, he has not improved our football program.  I'm not saying he has made it worse.  He's not a terrible coach, but I do think he's average.  Year after year of 5-7 wins is what we have gotten and will get as long as he is our coach.  That seems to be good enough for the pro-Bielema crowd.  It's not for me. 

Another thought more directly tied to this thread is the sooner we make the move to a new coach the better.  I don't think we want to compete with LSU and Tennessee for a new coach.  Historically, those schools are more of a draw than Arkansas.  (and yes I know we got CBB and Tennessee got Butch Jones)
Woooo Pig Soooie!

SPAL

Quote from: hogsanity on October 02, 2017, 09:04:55 am
You can say all 3 were bad hires, but only in hindsight on the BB hire. He had just won 3 consecutive BIG10 titles. Hiring that guy at any school was not a bad hire at the time. Not work out, sure, lots of hires don't work out, but they were no bad when they were made.

Jones at TN, yea, but he was a hot name at the time. O at LSU, that had disaster written on it when it happened.

Correct. I agree with you. CBB was a brilliant hire initially. It hasn't worked out, but it was a great hire.

EastexHawg

I said this as soon as he was hired but had many, including the LSU fans I know, tell me it was a great hire.  They loved them some "Coach Eaux!"

How can LSU, one of the premier football schools in America, hire a head coach who was such a colossal failure in his previous SEC stint?  You hire him just because he sounds like a Cajun Caveman and "is one of us"?  That's insane.

Anyone and everyone who has the slightest bit of sense and experience with football should have seen the Orgeron disaster coming from a mile away.

Hoggie17

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 02, 2017, 11:56:52 am
That's not what I implied.  Everyone that knows anything about Big 10 football knew he had a history of coming up short in big games.
CBB was 2 and 4 in bowl games while at Wis=.333. When he got out of the Big 10 and  played good teams not so good. That's what he is a .333 coach, all can see.

hogsanity

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 02, 2017, 11:34:40 am
Proof is in the puddin.  It may have seemed to have been a good hire, but time has proven it to be a bad hire.

no, a bad hire would have been bad at the time it happened. IT was a good hire that just has not worked out. A bad hire would have been getting Jerry Dinardo out of retirement from his job at the Big10 network.