Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansans who have left the state

Started by MJ2, January 18, 2006, 04:39:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MJ2

What Arkansans, recruited by the Hogs, have left the state during Nutt's tenure?

Cedric Houston TN
Brett Smith TN
DeAngelo Williams Memphis

Who else?

Not Slick Shelley, because they backed off of him.

Hogwild07

Why did we back off Shelley?

You can add Damian Williams to that list.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

I'm forgetting names, but the offensive Lineman who went to Tennesee out of the Jonesboro area.

The defensive back also from Warren.  He was starting for Tennessee last year at times.

I'll think of more.

JoeBobHog

Greg Jones

wasn't Stackhouse recruited by HDN?
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy."

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: JoeBobHog on January 18, 2006, 04:48:37 pm
Greg Jones

wasn't Stackhouse recruited by HDN?

Thanks for helping me out with my alzheimers and yes, he was.  Went to Ole Miss

hillbilly

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on January 18, 2006, 04:47:20 pm
The defensive back also from Warren. He was starting for Tennessee last year at times.
Roshawn Fellows.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Would you count Stoltz?  Did he get recruited along with Luigs, or did we pull out really early because we new he was going to LSU?

brooks74

GrizzledHogFan

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Hog Belly

I think TN has 3 or 4 on the roster from ARKANSAS. Eastern Arkansas.

We did not loose anything by letting Slick slip away. He is from my old alma mater and my sources confirm he did not have a healthy attitude.

Hogwild07

BvilleHog

What is the deal with Stoltz?  He did not get much playing time this year, especially since we are thin at LB.  Also,I heard that desmond Sims is our new MLB

ki285

james turner of augusta is at Tennesse.  i played against all 10th 11th and 12th grade years and he was a beast.  i dont even think he got a luck from arkansas

Porkahontas

Quote from: ki285 on January 18, 2006, 09:42:29 pm
james turner of augusta is at Tennesse. i played against all 10th 11th and 12th grade years and he was a beast. i dont even think he got a luck from arkansas

Has he done anything for Tennessee so far?

That might explain why Arkansas didn't even give him a luck.

ki285

he has started on special teams his freshman and sophmore year.  i promise he would have been playin a lot at arkansas.  he is twice as good as stoltz.  he is good enough to play for tennesee but not arkansas.  is that what you are saying?

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: ki285 on January 18, 2006, 09:42:29 pm
james turner of augusta is at Tennesse. i played against all 10th 11th and 12th grade years and he was a beast. i dont even think he got a luck from arkansas

I believe Turner was a redshirt this year.  He attended Tennessee's summer camp and evidently the coaches liked what they saw.  I think he was a suprise to everybody. 

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: Hog Belly on January 18, 2006, 09:17:53 pm

We did not loose anything by letting Slick slip away. He is from my old alma mater and my sources confirm he did not have a healthy attitude.

I went over the the Tennessee site and looked at their roster.  Shelley, Turner and Kemp are redshirts.  Fellows and Smith are the only two on the active roster.

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: BvilleHog on January 18, 2006, 09:32:55 pm
What is the deal with Stoltz? He did not get much playing time this year, especially since we are thin at LB. Also,I heard that desmond Sims is our new MLB

My daughter plays soccer with Matt's sister.  If I am not mistaken he played on the special teams.  Look to see more of Matt next year.

LRCentralTiger

January 18, 2006, 10:31:38 pm #20 Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 10:33:33 pm by LRCentralTiger
Quote from: MJ2 on January 18, 2006, 04:39:33 pm
What Arkansans, recruited by the Hogs, have left the state during Nutt's tenure?

Cedric Houston TN
Brett Smith TN
DeAngelo Williams Memphis

Who else?

Not Slick Shelley, because they backed off of him.
Matt Helm (Stuttgart) went to LSU.
Adam Thrash (PA) went to Alabama.  I don't think Arkansas was serious about Thrash.
Where did Wardlow from Conway (Peyton's backfield mate ) go?

ledhead830

coleman from jonesboro about six years ago.  pretty good o-lineman if i do remember for tennessee
Walk on through the wind. Walk on through the rain.
Though your dreams be tossed and blown,
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: ledhead830 on January 19, 2006, 12:15:48 am
coleman from jonesboro about six years ago. pretty good o-lineman if i do remember for tennessee

You reminded me of another.  Greg Jones from Jonesboro - Tennessee.  Did not complete school for some reason.

hawkeyefan17

Herb Grigsby (wide reciever) of Mayflower is at Iowa. He had a really good year this past season and will take on a bigger role for the Hawkeyes next year because Clinton Solomon and Ed Hinkel were seniors this year and won't be back.

Nutt recruited Grigsby but his scholarship offer was pulled. Cy Phillips (quarterback) was a senior this year at Iowa. He is from Hoxie and I don't think was recruited very hard, if at all, by Arkansas.

It has never been very clear to my why Nutt pulled his offer to Grigsby, but he did.

JoeBobHog

Quote from: hawkeyefan17 on January 19, 2006, 07:09:38 am
Herb Grigsby (wide reciever) of Mayflower is at Iowa. He had a really good year this past season and will take on a bigger role for the Hawkeyes next year because Clinton Solomon and Ed Hinkel were seniors this year and won't be back.

Nutt recruited Grigsby but his scholarship offer was pulled. Cy Phillips (quarterback) was a senior this year at Iowa. He is from Hoxie and I don't think was recruited very hard, if at all, by Arkansas.

It has never been very clear to my why Nutt pulled his offer to Grigsby, but he did.

I feel bad for Grigsby regarding this, but Houston didn't offer him--George Pugh did--without Houston's authorization.

of course it makes Houston look like the bad guy to pull the offer.

the lack of communication bothers me the most--and yes, Houston is ultimately responsible for that.

but Pugh made the offer, and he shouldn't have.
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy."

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: Hogwild07 on January 18, 2006, 09:26:18 pm
Matt Stoltz plays for the hogs now.

Most are aware of that.  I think its great that he came back home.  Nevertheless, he went to LSU first, right out of high school.

firecampbell

Be careful with this list because I sent one to Louis campbell when arkansas lost a game this year and went for it on 4th and 1 on their own 29...south carolina i believe, anyways i sent in a letter to the football program mentioning the same names...bradley from oklahoma for one and i mentioned also that unlike houston nutt mack brown actually responds to alumni that are concerned with the way that the program is running.  louis campbell sent me an email pretty much being a smart a and didn't seem to care too much.....so that's my handle. 

5 little pigs

He had a great attitude, was a loss for the program simply because Nutt doesn't like players from the River Valley area.  It was a shame he had to settle for Tennessee, however, it turns out it is good for him, he isn't having to put up with the chaos that has become Arkansas football during Nutt's tenure!!

LRCentralTiger

Slick was not a native of Arkansas.  His ties to the state are not as strong as Mustain, Hillis, McFadden and others.  From what I remember he really never considered Arkansas.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: 5 little pigs on January 19, 2006, 10:23:26 am

He had a great attitude, was a loss for the program simply because Nutt doesn't like players from the River Valley area. It was a shame he had to settle for Tennessee, however, it turns out it is good for him, he isn't having to put up with the chaos that has become Arkansas football!!

Your right Tennessee was dominant in their bowl game and I can see him making a immediate impact. 

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

sage_dragoon

Quote from: firecampbell on January 19, 2006, 10:14:45 am
Be careful with this list because I sent one to Louis campbell when arkansas lost a game this year and went for it on 4th and 1 on their own 29...south carolina i believe, anyways i sent in a letter to the football program mentioning the same names...bradley from oklahoma for one and i mentioned also that unlike houston nutt mack brown actually responds to alumni that are concerned with the way that the program is running. louis campbell sent me an email pretty much being a smart a and didn't seem to care too much.....so that's my handle.

Haha, diss'd by Louis Campbell.
XBox360 - SageDragoon79

ki285

james turner didnt redshirt at tennesse.  he was also offered by iowa.  6-1 225 4.5 speed i dont know why arkansas didnt look at him.  maybe it was his grades.  i dont know what kind of grades he makes

Hog Belly

5 Little Pigs, for you to say that Nutt does not like players from the River Valley is asinine! I think you left out at the end of the sentence "that have bad attitudes". First of all, Nutt would not have a job if he held any kind of grudge towards any region, state, city, etc. There is a difference between looking at an objective PERSONALLY or PROFESSIONALLY. He was looking for a player, not someone to have dinner with. This is a business you know, not something run by a 16 year old...Obviously you are a friend of Slick...

PennHOG

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

ColinRagan

There have been a couple from Osceola that have gone elsewhere.  I believe Jonathan Adams was around the beginning of Nutt's tenure.  He was a year or 2 behind David Barrett.  Recruited by everybody, ended up at ASU.  There was another kid a couple of years down the road that went to Alabama played safety.  That was during Bama's whole NCAA investigation, and I believe ther were some allegations regarding this kid.

5 little pigs

Quote from: Hog Belly on January 20, 2006, 11:07:05 am
5 Little Pigs, for you to say that Nutt does not like players from the River Valley is asinine! I think you left out at the end of the sentence "that have bad attitudes". First of all, Nutt would not have a job if he held any kind of grudge towards any region, state, city, etc. There is a difference between looking at an objective PERSONALLY or PROFESSIONALLY. He was looking for a player, not someone to have dinner with. This is a business you know, not something run by a 16 year old...Obviously you are a friend of Slick...
Wrong, belly breath, and Nutt does have something against certain places, it's a fact!!!  Ask some former Hogs that have played for him from that area....even ask Matt Jones if you get a chance!!

D-macs cuz

Do you think that he has something against certain places, or that certain places have something against him?

Prince of Pork

Michael Briessel from Fayetteville went to Colorado St and started on the o line for 4 years
harold James from Osceola went to Bama I think
*CUBS '05*   "THIS IS OUR YEAR"-make that 06-make that 07-make that 08-make that 09

fieldturf

Quote from: 5 little pigs on January 20, 2006, 02:43:16 pm
Wrong, belly breath, and Nutt does have something against certain places, it's a fact!!! Ask some former Hogs that have played for him from that area....even ask Matt Jones if you get a chance!!
Well maybe that's why Chase Pressley has got lost in the mix.  However I know he's been hurt some also.  But maybe Nutt and Markenson are against him...

LRCentralTiger

Here is one Nutt was directly and I mean directly involved in during the recruiting process for Arkansas.  This player actually signed,, went, played a little and then left Arkansas.  He is a native from Little Rock and played at my screen name.  Know who it is?

Houston Nutt.  Left for Oklahoma State.   ;D :razorback:

Duffer

... that guy who invented the superconductor.

hogfan33

aaron danenhauer from bentonville went to Tulsa, and is their starting center. Wasnt offered at ark becasue his shoulders werent broad enough

stronguard

Someone asked about Wardlow awhile back on this thread.  I don't think he made it into college, grade problems.

As for folks who have left, what about that Kevin Williams (?) from Fordyce who went to Okla St. and then was drafted in the first round by the Vikings.  Our fence has a HUGE gate.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Hog Belly

Wrong, belly breath, and Nutt does have something against certain places, it's a fact!!!  Ask some former Hogs that have played for him from that area....even ask Matt Jones if you get a chance!!
I can tell by your response that your mommy and daddy has not yet adjusted the PARENTAL CONTROL on the family computer. If it's a FACT, I'm sure you would not mind sharing it with us by posting a link. I'm from Ft Smith and played 4 years for the Hogs. Like apples??????? How do you like THOSE apples!?

Hog Belly

Quote from: cowhead on January 20, 2006, 04:52:15 pm
Wrong, belly breath, and Nutt does have something against certain places, it's a fact!!! Ask some former Hogs that have played for him from that area....even ask Matt Jones if you get a chance!!
Well maybe that's why Chase Pressley has got lost in the mix.  However I know he's been hurt some also.  But maybe Nutt and Markenson are against him...
Or maybe it's just the obvious of multiple reasons! Maybe he did not PRODUCE.

Hog Belly

Quote from: Hog Belly on January 21, 2006, 09:51:01 pm
Quote from: cowhead on January 20, 2006, 04:52:15 pm
Well maybe that's why Chase Pressley has got lost in the mix. However I know he's been hurt some also. But maybe Nutt and Markenson are against him...
Or maybe it's just the obvious of multiple reasons! Maybe he did not PRODUCE.

But it COULDN'T be because of production because that would just be too logical. At this level, you either produce or you don't produce, for whatever reason (whether you are hurt or not).How can you make a statement like that when players such as Clark Moore, Landon Leach, Kenny Sandlin and I won't even mention Matt Jones all came out of the river valley area? That's just the tip of the iceburg! Don't worry. Most people in this life have a hard time admitting they are wrong.

blake

There are alot of great athletes in this state that are passed over every year to land a 1-2 star guy some place else that are just as good or better. Look at the RV area, You tell me that a low star safety from Texas is any better than some around here and I ask you to line up aganist one from Booneville, Charleston, Greenwood , FS etc. and see how fast you get your clock cleaned!

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: LRCentralTiger on January 18, 2006, 10:31:38 pmMatt Helm (Stuttgart) went to LSU.
Adam Thrash (PA) went to Alabama.  I don't think Arkansas was serious about Thrash.
Where did Wardlow from Conway (Peyton's backfield mate ) go?

Brett Helms' parents were LSU grads.  His pops worked at Riceland in Stuttgart.  I doubt Arkansas' chances to get him were much.

Adam Thrash was a recruited walk-on at Bammar.

As for Kevin Wardlow, I don't think he played anywhere.  His grades, from what I was told, were horrible.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: ColinRagan on January 20, 2006, 02:35:42 pmThere was another kid a couple of years down the road that went to Alabama played safety.  That was during Bama's whole NCAA investigation, and I believe ther were some allegations regarding this kid.

Indeed there were.  I firmly believe that Harold James was bought and paid for.

If you're ever in Osceola, stop by their fieldhouse and see whose name is on the side of it.  It was built not too long after James signed with Bammar.

Hog Belly

January 24, 2006, 02:11:39 pm #49 Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 02:14:13 pm by Hog Belly
Quote from: blake on January 24, 2006, 12:41:44 pm
There are alot of great athletes in this state that are passed over every year to land a 1-2 star guy some place else that are just as good or better. Look at the RV area, You tell me that a low star safety from Texas is any better than some around here and I ask you to line up aganist one from Booneville, Charleston, Greenwood , FS etc. and see how fast you get your clock cleaned!

Blake, there's so many tangables. It's like comparing apples to oranges. I would agree that with the heart of a local high school player, 1 would think that Arkansas would be the place to be. But then you get into other tangables such as academics, position depth, the number of scholarships in relation to the positions they need to recruit for. These are just a few. Everyone would like to see every "home town hero" stay in state. Just look at what happened here recently with Stegall from Greenwood. He was offered by A-State and commited, then offered by Miami and bolted. His heart was not here in Arkansas.