Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Michael Smith speculation

Started by SquidBilly, January 22, 2015, 11:21:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

scruf

WriterWrong

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 27, 2015, 12:46:19 pm
Could possibly recruit well in JC ranks

Bielema made it fairly clear we aren't going to be recruiting JuCo much, if at all, going forward.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: WriterWrong on January 27, 2015, 03:48:12 pm
Bielema made it fairly clear we aren't going to be recruiting JuCo much, if at all, going forward.
Do you remember your source? Not that I doubt you, I'm just curious about the context.

I wonder if it's a development thing?

SolarHog

Here's what an old fogey I am.....just followed 3 OU coaches where?  Into a bar?.... talkin to a recruit?....onto a plane? .... secretly followed them in his car ???

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

The_Bionic_Pig

I also believe if this does happen the new OC already has a coaching interview in mind...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: SolarHog on January 27, 2015, 03:50:00 pm
Here's what an old fogey I am.....just followed 3 OU coaches where?  Into a bar?.... talkin to a recruit?....onto a plane? .... secretly followed them in his car ???
Three Big 12 coaches walk into a bar. An Arkansas coach follows them.

What's the joke you ask?

The Big 12. The Big 12 is the joke.

... I'll see myself out.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Tim Harris

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 27, 2015, 03:49:36 pm
Do you remember your source? Not that I doubt you, I'm just curious about the context.

I wonder if it's a development thing?

At our yearly Razorback banquet he said that he doesn't really like doing the JC thing and would much rather get a HS kid.  Also his preference on JC kids are ones who were full qualifiers out of HS.

From what I heard he didn't say he won't do it but also isn't a fan.

WriterWrong

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 27, 2015, 03:56:16 pm
At our yearly Razorback banquet he said that he doesn't really like doing the JC thing and would much rather get a HS kid.  Also his preference on JC kids are ones who were full qualifiers out of HS.

From what I heard he didn't say he won't do it but also isn't a fan.

Precisely. Not saying we won't take another JuCo player. But, I think the coaches will definitely focus their attention on high school athletes and less and less on JuCo players.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

jgphillips3

Dwight_K_Shrute

To be fair Coach Smith's other recent follows include Major Applewhite OC at Houston, Curtis "CJ" Johnson Head Coach at Tulane.  and Todd Grafagnini voice of the Tulane Green Wave.

Also interesting that the position coach with the most vacancies right now is WR with 8.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Breaking-down-the-open-jobs-in-FBS-college-football

hawgmasta

I heard at the Nowata, OK sonic that this has some legs to it.

Laughing Hog

Quote from: Seebs on January 27, 2015, 12:36:51 pm
I am amazed at the dedication of some of you guys to find news. Appreciate the efforts.

I'd like to second that.

Don't have the time, and I'm not doing twatter.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

hoglady

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on January 27, 2015, 02:24:51 pm

aaah to be in my 20s again!  Enjoy the ride

Twenties - heck I'd be happy to be in my 40's again.
I swear once you pass 40 - you blink and you're 57.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawgmasta on January 27, 2015, 05:56:08 pm

No.........Those legs are only at the Alma Sonic and they are hairy...................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Laughing Hog

Quote from: hawg1221 on January 27, 2015, 03:42:30 pm
Could you imagine if the press ask him, "Hey coach, any reason you're following nothing but schools with WR Coach openings"? I'd be curious to see how he would respond. I don't even know if it's appropriate to ask questions about someone's twitter.

And you think that anyone in the press (sports, politics, you name it) has the ca-hones to ask serious, hardball questions now a days? They'd pee themselves if they knew they had to ask a real question (of course excluding our illustrious MI, RD, etc.) 
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

RazorbacksFan

I've read these jokes about the Alma Sonic for a long time. Is the original story or post worth repeating again for those of us who don't know the inside joke?

ThisTeetsTaken

I think he's either putting his name out there for a new job or he is monitoring other coaches that are recruiting the same kids.  I would do the same thing if I were him in either case.   
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Oklahawg

Folks at the Bliss ain't talking, though ;)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

The_Bionic_Pig

Michael Smith is making more money than Tee Martin (who is bringing in 4-5 star recruits) at USC
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

husker71

27 years old   if played correctly  might be one of the great ages to be    young enough to still really have great nights out   just the right age to still be able to play sports well  but just the right age to be bringing in some real cash    and if you are 27 but look 23 you have the superfecta

robmc1883

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on January 27, 2015, 08:07:55 pm
Michael Smith is making more money than Tee Martin (who is bringing in 4-5 star recruits) at USC

What?!?!  According to 247, Martin makes 450k while Smith makes 275k.  Not even close.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Wildhog on January 27, 2015, 02:24:03 pm
Just a little doosher running around in a Fred Taylor jersey...
Tough for me to root for Taylor as he went to UF and I always disliked the Gators.  Now his son is a RB there.  Did like Brunell though.  Remember when he shared the QB job at UW with Billy Joe Hobart.  They won the NC with those guys if I remember correctly. 

redeye

FWIW, Richard Davenport followed Houston's receivers coach on twitter today.  Before Houston, he was the receivers coach at Evangel Christian Academy in Louisiana, which recruitniks will recognize well.  His name is Brandon Middleton and he was hired at Houston in 2012.

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/middleton_brandon00.html

Or, they may just be following each other to check on a recruit, like Toby Weathersby?

Tim Harris

Quote from: robmc1883 on January 27, 2015, 08:24:19 pm
What?!?!  According to 247, Martin makes 450k while Smith makes 275k.  Not even close.

You have to convert it from California dollars to Arkansas dollars.

robmc1883

robmc1883

And if you look at his commitments, all but 5 of the 18 he has had over the past 3 years have been from southern Cal.  Granted 18 commitments in that time frame is outstanding but it's a little unfair to say that anyone from USC is out recruiting anyone else.  The school really recruits itself, the coaches need little help.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: robmc1883 on January 27, 2015, 08:24:19 pm

I stand corrected....i should have clicked on the link instead just reading the (Google link headline which leads you to believe $265K)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 27, 2015, 12:44:46 pm
If he is leaving it is evident that nobody here will guess the name of who will replace him LOL!

My source says He's not leaving, but his replacement will definitely have a last name with a letter between a and x...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hawgXi

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 27, 2015, 05:33:15 pm
To be fair Coach Smith's other recent follows include Major Applewhite OC at Houston, Curtis "CJ" Johnson Head Coach at Tulane.  and Todd Grafagnini voice of the Tulane Green Wave.

Also interesting that the position coach with the most vacancies right now is WR with 8.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Breaking-down-the-open-jobs-in-FBS-college-football

never hurts to take a peek at your hole card.  especially if you're a college assistant football coach.

Chief Mac

Quote from: hoglady on January 27, 2015, 06:34:37 pm
Twenties - heck I'd be happy to be in my 40's again.
I swear once you pass 40 - you blink and you're 57.

don't tell me that....I'm enjoying the 40s, except back pain every morning LOL
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

DeltaBoy

A bunch of muddy water and I hope Michael Smith stays a long time on the Staff.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hoofer

I'm still holding out hope if Smith leaves we get George McDonald back. Huge upgrade in coaching and recruiting.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 28, 2015, 06:42:13 am
My source says He's not leaving, but his replacement will definitely have a last name with a letter between a and x...

So his name isn't Yarnell or Zarlinsky............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Break & Run

Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Tim Harris

Quote from: Break & Run on February 01, 2015, 12:41:42 am
So........still no news on Smith?

Who knows what will happen but no one is going to make a change this close to NSD.

ricepig

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 01, 2015, 07:03:16 am
Who knows what will happen but no one is going to make a change this close to NSD.

It will happen in the next week, IMO.