Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Transfer

Started by Big Nasty 34, May 02, 2017, 12:56:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Nasty 34

https://twitter.com/OtisKirk247/status/859433843849404416

I'm not a subscriber, but it looks RJ is officially gone.

navyhog24

Not surprised at all. You can't blame a kid for wanting to play and getting a full ride vs riding the pine and having to pay his own way. Good luck RJ!

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

NoogaHog

That's a shame. I certainly understand why, but I wanted to see what he had. Good luck, young man!
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HF#1 on May 02, 2017, 01:00:07 pm
Who?
RJ Glasper, our prized walk-on who got injured before the season.

NWAHog479

May 02, 2017, 02:11:15 pm #5 Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 02:51:21 pm by NWAHog479
Why isn't there a report out yet?

NWAHog479

ricepig

Quote from: NWAHog479 on May 02, 2017, 02:55:15 pm
Wow. Arkansas Tech just got a steal, go down there get your school paid for and ball out and go D1!
He'd have to sit out another year, unless he becomes a grad transfer.

Pig Power

Quote from: ricepig on May 02, 2017, 02:57:30 pm
ATU is a D2 school and he wouldn't need to sit out.

jry04

Quote from: Pig Power on May 02, 2017, 03:05:08 pm
ATU is a D2 school and he wouldn't need to sit out.
Yes he would. They are part of the NCAA. If you transfer within NCAA you still have to sit. You do not have to sit from JUCO to D1 because they are not part of the NCAA.

reddawg213

Quote from: ricepig on May 02, 2017, 02:57:30 pm

Tech is D2. So he can play immediately per the current rules (which only exempts D1 teams from using the one-time transfer exception.) Probably the reason he's going to D2 is so he doesn't have to sit out another year.

Most likely he will come back to D1 as a grad transfer. He's at 60 hours now so he'll have 2 years of eligibility when it's time to graduate. Even if he didn't, after this redshirt year, he would still have a year left to play. Hopefully, he comes back to the Hogs but either way, Good luck to the kid.

ricepig

Quote from: reddawg213 on May 02, 2017, 03:08:38 pm
Tech is D2. So he can play immediately per the current rules (which only exempts D1 teams from using the one-time transfer exception.) Probably the reason he's going to D2 is so he doesn't have to sit out another year.

Most likely he will come back to D1 as a grad transfer. He's at 60 hours now so he'll have 2 years of eligibility when it's time to graduate. Even if he didn't, after this redshirt year, he would still have a year left to play. Hopefully, he comes back to the Hogs but either way, Good luck to the kid.

He took 30 hours each semester?

Big Nasty 34

Rice was commenting on a post that said
Quote from: NWAHog479 on May 02, 2017, 02:55:15 pm
Wow. Arkansas Tech just got a steal, go down there get your school paid for and ball out and go D1!

If he went from Tech back to a D1 school he would have to sit out, correct? That is what Rice was saying.

jry04

He can play D2 immediately. He cannot go to ATU, then back to D1, and play immediately at the D1 school.

reddawg213

reddawg213

Quote from: jry04 on May 02, 2017, 03:16:13 pm
He can play D2 immediately. He cannot go to ATU, then back to D1, and play immediately at the D1 school.

As a grad transfer, he can. It's called a graduate transfer waiver. As long as he goes and enters a program that is not offered by ATU (like an MBA,) he can transfer and play without sitting out. More paperwork than if he never transferred yes, but still would be able to play immediately.

mjsphd

Sounds like a classy kid.  Best of luck to him.

FineAsSwine

Not surprising. Good luck to him. I'll be keeping up with the Wonder Boys for sure.
Hogs up! Covid down!

rzrbk4life

Let's call those hogs!!!!

ricepig

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on May 02, 2017, 03:11:52 pm
Rice was commenting on a post that said
If he went from Tech back to a D1 school he would have to sit out, correct? That is what Rice was saying.

Correct

reddawg213

Quote from: ricepig on May 02, 2017, 03:11:21 pm
He took 30 hours each semester?

Took hours in HS and transferred them. Trey was similar which is why he graduated in 3 years not 4

ricepig

Quote from: reddawg213 on May 02, 2017, 03:37:35 pm
Took hours in HS and transferred them. Trey was similar which is why he graduated in 3 years not 4

Ok, mine brought in 23-27 hours of AP, I guess he probably went to summer school last summer, too.

reddawg213

Quote from: ricepig on May 02, 2017, 04:01:30 pm
Ok, mine brought in 23-27 hours of AP, I guess he probably went to summer school last summer, too.

I believe so but would have to ask his dad or uncle to be sure how he got all his credits. Not that it's that big of a deal really. Either way, he'll have time on his clock when he graduates.

ricepig

Quote from: reddawg213 on May 02, 2017, 04:09:05 pm
I believe so but would have to ask his dad or uncle to be sure how he got all his credits. Not that it's that big of a deal really. Either way, he'll have time on his clock when he graduates.

Sure, it's a big deal, two years is twice as much as one!

reddawg213

Quote from: ricepig on May 02, 2017, 04:14:30 pm
Sure, it's a big deal, two years is twice as much as one!

Touche . . . . In regards to time playing D1 ball, yeah, 2 years is an eternity  ;D ;D Honestly, him graduating early will probably make him that much more valuable to a lot of  coaches when/if he decides to come back as a grad transfer and judging by the statement, it doesn't seem like he's burning bridges in Fayetteville either so could get him back in a few years with more game experience than he would see riding the pine.

hogsanity

Where is all the angst about him leaving? Guess we used it all up on players that MIGHT not be coming back.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

azhog10

Attending my Alma Mater.....hope he plays well and does big things.

NWAHog479

Quote from: hogsanity on May 02, 2017, 04:23:01 pm
Where is all the angst about him leaving? Guess we used it all up on players that MIGHT not be coming back.

He never played a minute as a Razorback, those two guys averaged double digits and led us to a NCAA Tournament. Not taking anything away from RJ, but come on.

King Kong

Angst for a walk-on? You can't be serious

The_Iceman

Give it up dude.

phadedhawg

Best of luck to him.  Never saw him play so I'm kinda "meh" about it. 

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

HardingHog

Best of luck to him! Great opportunity for him to be a big time player on a very good D2 program. Hope he does really well there (except when he plays the Bisons)  ;)

Cracker Jack

Quote from: HardingHog on May 02, 2017, 07:07:38 pm
Best of luck to him! Great opportunity for him to be a big time player on a very good D2 program. Hope he does really well there (except when he plays the Bisons)  ;)
....and when he plays the Muleriders!  ;>)

psooie

Porked Tongue

First time I heard this, he was headed to a different school than Tech.

But as they used to say, "what the heck Go to Tech."

Good luck to him.

Birminghog

Quote from: ricepig on May 02, 2017, 04:01:30 pm

It doesn't necessarily have to be AP. A lot of high school kids are taking dual credit hours, either online or a local junior college or 4-year. Go to JUCO in the morning, go to high school in the afternoon. Retain HS eligibility.

PorkRinds

It's never ending with you. At least you're consistently full of it.

ShadowHawg

I believe sanity has no idea that Glasper had been a walk on. Not joking.

hogsanity

Quote from: NWAHog479 on May 02, 2017, 04:48:04 pm
He never played a minute as a Razorback, those two guys averaged double digits and led us to a NCAA Tournament. Not taking anything away from RJ, but come on.

Quote from: King Kong on May 02, 2017, 04:51:02 pm
Angst for a walk-on? You can't be serious

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 02, 2017, 04:59:25 pm
Give it up dude.

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 03, 2017, 09:21:36 am
It's never ending with you. At least you're consistently full of it.

As I said a few weeks ago, you guys only care about Hog players if you think their play will result in wins. Which I have no issue with if you'll just be honest and admit such.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogsanity on May 03, 2017, 10:46:28 am
As I said a few weeks ago, you guys only care about Hog players if you think their play will result in wins. Which I have no issue with if you'll just be honest and admit such.

You say all kinds of darn. Most of it has little to do with reality.

King Kong

Quote from: hogsanity on May 03, 2017, 10:46:28 am

What are you talking about? My post was in reponse to your post about angst not and something you posted weeks ago.

I have no angst as he is going to get a free education which he wouldn't have here. Probably more playing time as well. Which is great.

Not that it matters to you but I have not angst toward Macon or Barford if they choose to leave. As a fan I will be extremely disappointed as it means less success next year. Unlike you who will be thrilled if they leave.

hogsanity

Quote from: King Kong on May 03, 2017, 11:08:45 am
What are you talking about? My post was in reponse to your post about angst not and something you posted weeks ago.

I have no angst as he is going to get a free education which he wouldn't have here. Probably more playing time as well. Which is great.

Not that it matters to you but I have not angst toward Macon or Barford if they choose to leave. As a fan I will be extremely disappointed as it means less success next year. Unlike you who will be thrilled if they leave.

I don't care if they leave or not, it is their life. By angst I mean all the people checking projected drafts, European contracts, etc. Those saying those two will be making a huge mistake if they leave, yet basically clapping that this young man is leaving. Talking about what a big deal it would be for Macon and Barford to come back, and get the full experience and benefits of finishing their careers as Hogs. Apparently no one wants that for Glasper.

yraciv

Quote from: hogsanity on May 03, 2017, 02:15:56 pm
I don't care if they leave or not, it is their life. By angst I mean all the people checking projected drafts, European contracts, etc. Those saying those two will be making a huge mistake if they leave, yet basically clapping that this young man is leaving. Talking about what a big deal it would be for Macon and Barford to come back, and get the full experience and benefits of finishing their careers as Hogs. Apparently no one wants that for Glasper.

Apples to oranges comparison. Barford/Macon are contemplating getting a degree/ final season college experience, or making one seasons salary in the D League/overseas.  Glasper was contemplating playing time, D1 vs D2,  and paying for school or not.

hogsanity

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 03, 2017, 02:27:55 pm
You're making this something that it's not.

It is exactly what I said it is. The only time people care about a player leaving is if they think that player means more wins for the team if he stays. No one cared when Wagner, Jenkins, Babb or even Whitt left because they did not see those guys translating into more wins for the team if they stayed. But people were willing to offer up their 1st born to try to get Portis, Qualls, and now Barford and Macon to stay because the team is undoubtedly better with those players than without.

I'll say it, I hope both Barford and Macon come back because it means more wins, period. I have no idea if coming back will translate into a better pro career, if they will get their degrees, etc.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogsanity on May 03, 2017, 02:43:08 pm
It is exactly what I said it is. The only time people care about a player leaving is if they think that player means more wins for the team if he stays. No one cared when Wagner, Jenkins, Babb or even Whitt left because they did not see those guys translating into more wins for the team if they stayed. But people were willing to offer up their 1st born to try to get Portis, Qualls, and now Barford and Macon to stay because the team is undoubtedly better with those players than without.

I'll say it, I hope both Barford and Macon come back because it means more wins, period. I have no idea if coming back will translate into a better pro career, if they will get their degrees, etc.

You're full of sh-- if you truly believe people weren't upset when we lost Whitt or Babb. But I do think you're right, however, I also think a lot of it has to do with what situation the player transferring out is stepping into. When a walk-on transfers to a small school that has offered him a scholarship, people are not unhappy because it has no real effect on wins, yes, but also because they're happy for the player to find a better situation for himself. I truly believe most Hog fans that this news reaches will be happy for R.J. to get a scholarship somewhere. People did not feel Qualls was stepping into a better situation. Of course they wanted him back because the team would be better, but they also hated seeing a kid plunge into the unknown when he could have come back and improved his standing. They viewed returning as the better situation, and not just from the standpoint of it helping the team. Same with Barford and Macon right now.

Most fans understood why Portis went pro and supported it. Of course we'd all have loved to have him back, but most fans anticipated him leaving early all season. There was no big uproar when he went pro. Fans wanted him to either be drafted has high as possible or go to a great situation. The fans that bemoaned him going pro were few and far between, and ignorant.

hogsanity

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on May 03, 2017, 03:24:23 pm
. You're hammering people and pushing for an argument for wanting players to stay on the team

For wanting only certain players to stay.

Hogginintheville

I wonder how much he is getting in scholarship. Don't get me wrong even a half scholarship can help greatly but no D2 athletes get a full athletic   

SONofHAM

Quote from: hogsanity on May 03, 2017, 02:43:08 pm

what a stupid post
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"