Cowboys

Started by Capt. Hamm, December 21, 2014, 04:40:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. Hamm

The Cowboys are looking good.

ricepig

Quote from: Capt. Hamm on December 21, 2014, 04:40:49 pm
The Cowboys are looking good.

John Wayne dies in the end, I hate to ruin it for you.

Capt. Hamm

Quote from: ricepig on December 21, 2014, 04:42:07 pm
John Wayne dies in the end, I hate to ruin it for you.
Lol!

BigSexyHog

Don't worry they will disappoint in the playoffs.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

hogs24

After week 1 loss:
'haters': 'They'll go 3-13'
After loss to Philly at home:
'haters': 'They won't make the playoffs'
After today:
'haters': 'Just wait til the playoffs'

sad.

HOW BOUT THEM COWBOYS!
Quote from: Buff on August 04, 2013, 01:34:19 pm

I am THIS close to raping you right now. 

Dr. Starcs

Where's that dude that said the colts wouldn't be worried about dem boyz?!?!  Hahahahaha!!!!

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 21, 2014, 06:57:28 pm
Where's that dude that said the colts wouldn't be worried about dem boyz?!?!  Hahahahaha!!!!
the colts had nothing to gain from this game. We didn't have to win. The cowgirls did so technically we aren't woried about them.

Dr. Starcs

Hahahahahahahaha.

"Luck"y win I guess.

And for the record, the cowboys did not have to win today. A win next week would've clinched the east as well. But don't let the facts get in the way of your hate. 

hogs24

Quote from: 40MINSOFHELL on December 21, 2014, 09:09:35 pm
the colts had nothing to gain from this game. We didn't have to win. The cowgirls did so technically we aren't woried about them.
hopefully we get to play yall again.

42-7

Dr. Starcs

And shoulda been 42-0 without that bogus pi. Lol oh well.

hogs24

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 21, 2014, 09:27:23 pm
And shoulda been 42-0 without that bogus pi. Lol oh well.
yep.

hogs24

EastexHawg

How can the Seahawks wrap up the #1 seed throughout the playoffs if they win out?  They will be 12-4.  If the Cowboys beat Washington they will also be 12-4...and they beat Seattle in the regular season.

Dr. Starcs

Wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that either GB or det will also be 12-4. Not sure how the 3-way tiebreaker shakes out.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 21, 2014, 10:08:03 pm
Wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that either GB or det will also be 12-4. Not sure how the 3-way tiebreaker shakes out.

I guess, but it seems if any of the teams have played each other head to head would be the first tiebreaker to eliminate one of the three.  As it stands now, the Cowboys look like they will play in the first round against either the Cardinals or Lions.  I am assuming the Packers will win at home against Detroit.

dhornjr1

Seattle and Detroit win tiebreakers over Dallas because of better records against NFC opponents.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: 40MINSOFHELL on December 21, 2014, 09:09:35 pm

Nice excuse, but not a reason.... Good grief!
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

EastexHawg

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on December 22, 2014, 12:18:41 am
Seattle and Detroit win tiebreakers over Dallas because of better records against NFC opponents.

I get that that's the way the tiebreaker is set up, but I'm having a hard time understanding how it is "fair" for Dallas and Seattle to both finish as 12-4 division champions and the Cowboys have to go to Seattle for the playoff game...despite the fact that they beat the Seahawks on their home field during the season.

Green Bay played Seattle and lost.  If the league looked at head-to-head and went one matchup at a time, Seattle would be seeded over the Packers because of the head to head and Dallas would be seeded over the Seahawks for the same reason.

This isn't a case of all the teams playing and beating each other, as in Dallas beat Seattle but lost to Green Bay and so forth.  One of the teams is 1-0 against the other two, one is 1-1, and the third is 0-1.  I don't know of a more logical tiebreaker than head to head record.

dhornjr1

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 22, 2014, 09:20:29 am
I get that that's the way the tiebreaker is set up, but I'm having a hard time understanding how it is "fair" for Dallas and Seattle to both finish as 12-4 division champions and the Cowboys have to go to Seattle for the playoff game...despite the fact that they beat the Seahawks on their home field during the season.

Green Bay played Seattle and lost.  If the league looked at head-to-head and went one matchup at a time, Seattle would be seeded over the Packers because of the head to head and Dallas would be seeded over the Seahawks for the same reason.

This isn't a case of all the teams playing and beating each other, as in Dallas beat Seattle but lost to Green Bay and so forth.  One of the teams is 1-0 against the other two, one is 1-1, and the third is 0-1.  I don't know of a more logical tiebreaker than head to head record.

You can't use head to head records because Dallas didn't play Green Bay.

If they all finish 12-4, it wouldn't be right to say, "Dallas gets the top seed over Green Bay because they beat Seattle and Seattle beat Green Bay". Well, they didn't beat Green Bay, so how is that fair to the Packers.

So, since Dallas and Green Bay didn't square off, the default tiebreaker becomes record versus the same conference.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on December 22, 2014, 11:33:28 am
You can't use head to head records because Dallas didn't play Green Bay.

If they all finish 12-4, it wouldn't be right to say, "Dallas gets the top seed over Green Bay because they beat Seattle and Seattle beat Green Bay". Well, they didn't beat Green Bay, so how is that fair to the Packers.

So, since Dallas and Green Bay didn't square off, the default tiebreaker becomes record versus the same conference.

They didn't play the same conference schedules, either, so I'm not sure how that's any more "fair' than any other method.  The NFC North (Green Bay and Detroit) played the NFC South this year and the South sucks.  The NFC East (Cowboys) played the NFC West, probably the best division in the entire league.

dhornjr1

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 22, 2014, 12:50:46 pm
They didn't play the same conference schedules, either, so I'm not sure how that's any more "fair' than any other method.  The NFC North (Green Bay and Detroit) played the NFC South this year and the South sucks.  The NFC East (Cowboys) played the NFC West, probably the best division in the entire league.

So, in your mind, the only fair way to decide this is "Dallas beat Seattle, so Dallas should be the top seed"? Come on, man. I've been a Cowboys fan for 36 years, but I realize that it is what it is. This is the best way to decide things when you have teams who don't all play each other.

If we don't choke versus the 49ers in week one, this would all be a moot point, anyway.

Assuming we beat Washington,  of course.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on December 22, 2014, 01:39:26 pm
So, in your mind, the only fair way to decide this is "Dallas beat Seattle, so Dallas should be the top seed"? Come on, man. I've been a Cowboys fan for 36 years, but I realize that it is what it is. This is the best way to decide things when you have teams who don't all play each other.

If we don't choke versus the 49ers in week one, this would all be a moot point, anyway.

Assuming we beat Washington,  of course.

Yes, it is.  Head to head is the most common tiebreaker there is, and record against common opponents is used by numerous conferences and leagues.  If all the teams don't play the same conference schedules comparing their records within the conference proves little.

You have three teams and you start comparing head to head.  It doesn't matter where you start, you would come up with same conclusion...

"Seattle beat Green Bay so they are seeded above the Packers.  Dallas beat Seattle so the Cowboys get the nod over the Seahawks."  Or, you could start with the Cowboys and the Packers.  Dallas and Green Bay didn't play, so look at their records against the other team in the three way tie.  Dallas is 1-0, Green Bay is 0-1.  Once Dallas is seeded above Green Bay, you move on to Dallas and Seattle, then Seattle vs. the Packers.  Any way you looked at it the result would be the same.

dhornjr1

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 22, 2014, 01:52:11 pm
Yes, it is.  Head to head is the most common tiebreaker there is, and record against common opponents is used by numerous conferences and leagues.  If all the teams don't play the same conference schedules comparing their records within the conference proves little.

You have three teams and you start comparing head to head.  It doesn't matter where you start, you would come up with same conclusion...

"Seattle beat Green Bay so they are seeded above the Packers.  Dallas beat Seattle so the Cowboys get the nod over the Seahawks."  Or, you could start with the Cowboys and the Packers.  Dallas and Green Bay didn't play, so look at their records against the other team in the three way tie.  Dallas is 1-0, Green Bay is 0-1.  Once Dallas is seeded above Green Bay, you move on to Dallas and Seattle, then Seattle vs. the Packers.  Any way you looked at it the result would be the same.

So, if Dallas, Seattle and Detroit all end up 12-4, Dallas gets the nod because they beat Seattle and Detroit is just sh*t outta luck because they didn't play either the Seahawks or the Cowboys,  right?

Dr. Starcs

What's fairness got to do with anything?

A 12-4 Arizona team is gonna have to play at a 7-9 Atlanta first round.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 22, 2014, 05:21:09 pm
What's fairness got to do with anything?

A 12-4 Arizona team is gonna have to play at a 7-9 Atlanta first round.

Arizona lost twice to Seattle and beat Dallas and Detroit. Are you saying they should be seeded ahead of Dallas and Detroit since they beat them head to head? That's EastexHawg's logic.

Dr. Starcs

Not at all, just pointing out that fairness isn't a priority for the nfl.

Dr. Starcs

Maybe so. Still not real fair they host a wildcard game.

bao187

Congrats to the Cowboys and their fans, its been a while and the fan base deserves it. One thing I have to say about cowboy fans they stick with their team through the thick and thin. I still won't root for them unless they play the seahawks at some point.
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

dhornjr1

Quote from: bao187 on December 22, 2014, 07:15:10 pm
Congrats to the Cowboys and their fans, its been a while and the fan base deserves it. One thing I have to say about cowboy fans they stick with their team through the thick and thin. I still won't root for them unless they play the seahawks at some point.

I've been hearing a lot of grumbling about Kaepernick. I guess the bloom is off the rose for him with many in San Francisco.

Are you sold on him long term?

EastexHawg

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on December 22, 2014, 05:33:42 pm
Arizona lost twice to Seattle and beat Dallas and Detroit. Are you saying they should be seeded ahead of Dallas and Detroit since they beat them head to head? That's EastexHawg's logic.

No, you're not following the logic very well.  Arizona wouldn't be seeded over a division champion if they are a wild card.  What I have been talking about is the seeding of three 12-4 division champions...assuming they all win Sunday...who played very different conference schedules.

Let's say Dallas and Seattle end up playing in the NFC Championship Game.  Dallas would be 14-4, Seattle 13-4...and the Cowboys already beat the Seahawks in Seattle.  Maybe you think it makes sense that Dallas would have to play that game on the road.  I don't.

There is no way a division champion with an identical record should be seeded below a team they already beat in the regular season...unless three teams are tied and they all beat each other.  Dallas should be seeded over Seattle, period.  If Detroit wins the North then you look at conference record to break the tie between Dallas and Detroit.  Detroit would win that so they would be the #1 seed.  Dallas would be #2, Seattle #3.

bao187

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on December 23, 2014, 12:11:06 am
I've been hearing a lot of grumbling about Kaepernick. I guess the bloom is off the rose for him with many in San Francisco.

Are you sold on him long term?

No. Especially if another coach comes in, which is pretty much guaranteed at this point.  I think most coaches still want a pocket passer. The niners will most likely get a young offensive minded coach like Adam Gase or josh McDaniels. I have a good buddy that said maybe they'll hire malzahn he could use Kaep. Ha
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

dhornjr1

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 23, 2014, 09:09:24 am
No, you're not following the logic very well.  Arizona wouldn't be seeded over a division champion if they are a wild card.  What I have been talking about is the seeding of three 12-4 division champions...assuming they all win Sunday...who played very different conference schedules.

Let's say Dallas and Seattle end up playing in the NFC Championship Game.  Dallas would be 14-4, Seattle 13-4...and the Cowboys already beat the Seahawks in Seattle.  Maybe you think it makes sense that Dallas would have to play that game on the road.  I don't.

There is no way a division champion with an identical record should be seeded below a team they already beat in the regular season...unless three teams are tied and they all beat each other.  Dallas should be seeded over Seattle, period.  If Detroit wins the North then you look at conference record to break the tie between Dallas and Detroit.  Detroit would win that so they would be the #1 seed.  Dallas would be #2, Seattle #3.

Your logic is flawed. In your scenario with Detroit, you use head to head record for Seattle and Dallas,  but Detroit gets away with the top seed based on conference record. You punish Seattle and Dallas because they didn't play the Lions and give a different standard for one team than the others.

Simply put, you cannot use head to head records because they all didn't play each other. Why is that so hard to understand?

EastexHawg

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on December 23, 2014, 12:32:34 pm
Your logic is flawed. In your scenario with Detroit, you use head to head record for Seattle and Dallas,  but Detroit gets away with the top seed based on conference record. You punish Seattle and Dallas because they didn't play the Lions and give a different standard for one team than the others.

Simply put, you cannot use head to head records because they all didn't play each other. Why is that so hard to understand?

I gave an explanation of how you can use head to head record when the teams played each other, conference record as the tiebreaker if they didn't.  The fact that you don't like the explanation doesn't mean it does not exist.  As it stands the league is utterly and completely disregarding the fact that Dallas beat Seattle this year.  It's as if the game never took place.

bao187

They should roll some dice. Biggest total gets byes.

dhornjr1

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 23, 2014, 01:03:47 pm
I gave an explanation of how you can use head to head record when the teams played each other, conference record as the tiebreaker if they didn't.  The fact that you don't like the explanation doesn't mean it does not exist.  As it stands the league is utterly and completely disregarding the fact that Dallas beat Seattle this year.  It's as if the game never took place.

I don't like it? Hell, I wish your way was how they did it. I just realize that the way they're doing it is the only way they can do it and maintain any notion of fairness.

dhornjr1

Quote from: bao187 on December 23, 2014, 01:57:09 pm
They should roll some dice. Biggest total gets byes.

I'm thinking pissing for distance would work well.

dhornjr1

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 23, 2014, 02:39:15 pm
EastexHawg,

Without meaning to jump totally into your fray, IMO the source of the problem is the NFL schedule as currently constructed.  With two leagues consisting of four divisions of four teams each, some out of the box thinking would be required with respect to the construction of scheduling if the goal is to construct as equitable a schedule as possible for all teams.

Right there is the NFL's basic problem - their schedule-making values parity over equality of competition.

A major step in the right direction (and one which is easily implemented next season) would be for all NFC teams to play each other one time while all AFC teams play each other one time.  That makes 15 games for every team.

When the NFL goes to 18 games (which seems to be coming), every team should play the other teams in their division a second time (3 more games, making an 18 game season in total). 

While the 16 game schedule remains, each team could play ONE division opponent a second time (making a 16 game schedule in 2015).  In 2016, the divisional opponent for the second game should change and also in 2017.  That 3 year cycle would be about as evenly scheduled as possible and preferable to what the NFL does now. 

One problem you do not cite in your schedule comparisons between Dallas and Seattle is the strength of schedule - Seattle plays a much harder overall schedule than Dallas.  As you have said, yes Dallas beat Seattle head to head but with a third team involved, head to head is thrown out.  Since all teams involved in the tie have not played each other, you cannot use head to head for only two of the teams.   

It's not perfect. That is for certain.

Dr. Starcs

How bout them 12-4 cowboys!!

Looks like Detroit coming to big d next weekend. Stafford has been a cowboy killer a couple times in his career. And Dallas is 4-4 at home this year.

Pigsknuckles

Is there any way we can "decline" home field advantage?
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

dhornjr1

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on December 28, 2014, 06:40:01 pm
Is there any way we can "decline" home field advantage?

I was thinking the same thing. 8-0 on the road and 4-4 at home. Let's go to Motown.

EastexHawg

So Dallas, Seattle, and Green Bay all finish 12-4. Dallas beat Seattle and Seattle beat the Packers, but the Seahawks are seeded #1, the Packers are #2, and the Cowboys are last at #3. 

Makes perfect sense.  If the Cowboys beat Detroit they'll get to play a 2015 version of the Ice Bowl in Lambeau, then if they survive that one they'll have to go to Seattle to play a team with a worse record that they already beat during the regular season.

MikePiazza

Ndamukong Suh likely to be suspended for the game, so Lions are going to have a tough time stopping Murray.

Packers game in Lambeau will be tough.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

dhornjr1

Quote from: MikePiazza on December 29, 2014, 12:45:25 pm
Ndamukong Suh likely to be suspended for the game, so Lions are going to have a tough time stopping Murray.

With Suh out, I guess Nick Farley will get more snaps. We know be can carry the "dirtiest player in the game" banner.

MikePiazza

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on December 29, 2014, 02:36:20 pm
With Suh out, I guess Nick Farley will get more snaps. We know be can carry the "dirtiest player in the game" banner.

Fairley injured. Cowboys should gash Lions now.

EastexHawg

Quote from: MikePiazza on December 29, 2014, 12:45:25 pm

The Climate Prediction Center 8-14 day forecast for Wisconsin calls for colder than normal weather. If you believe Accuweather's extended forecasts they are calling for a high temperature of 11 degrees on January 14. 

Green Bay in January is the biggest home field advantage in the league.  Dallas having to play there is a probable season ending blow for the Cowboys.

MikePiazza

Quote from: EastexHawg on December 29, 2014, 04:39:19 pm
The Climate Prediction Center 8-14 day forecast for Wisconsin calls for colder than normal weather. If you believe Accuweather's extended forecasts they are calling for a high temperature of 11 degrees on January 14. 

Green Bay in January is the biggest home field advantage in the league.  Dallas having to play there is a probable season ending blow for the Cowboys.

Romo did grow up in Wisconsin, so maybe it won't phase him!

dhornjr1

Quote from: MikePiazza on December 29, 2014, 04:39:04 pm
Fairley injured. Cowboys should gash Lions now.

Well, that's good. A career ending injury?

Dr. Starcs

Suh re-instated.

Stunning I tell ya.

95_alum

Fine reduced as well. BOOOOOOOO!!! The Union must be proud.  :puke:

EastexHawg

Suh reinstated, but Adrian Peterson out for not only the rest of this life but also the next...just in case he is reincarnated.