Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jones Out @ Tenner

Started by Captain Hamerica, November 12, 2017, 12:43:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BroyledNutts

The proactive actions that Florida and Tennessee have taken give me increased concern that CBB and his entire staff will be retained for another year.

RockyMtnHog

We had better jump on our next coach before he is gone.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

havok

I wish we Arkansas fans could be as happy as Tennessee fans are right now.  Going to be a long/miserable 2 weeks. (Or more)

The Kig

As crazy as it sounds, I was at a high stakes poker game last night and they honestly believe Gruden is a done deal at 10+ million a year.
Poker Porker

Dropkick

Beaverfever

They very well might get Gruden.  ESPN is probably about done paying him a ton of money so the timing makes sense. 

apcapri

Bkhardicars

I really don't think we have to worry because a couple of schools got a head start. These things are handled by third party and have been being worked on since at least the USC east game. I bet we get who we want..

PossumFan

Quote from: BroyledNutts on November 12, 2017, 12:55:07 pm
The proactive actions that Florida and Tennessee have taken give me increased concern that CBB and his entire staff will be retained for another year.

Why? What do their actions have to do with ours?

BroyledNutts

Quote from: PossumFan on November 12, 2017, 02:08:11 pm
Why? What do their actions have to do with ours?

Proactive ADs getting their vacancies announced early, knowing the competition for quality coaches to fill open SEC positions will be intense during the post season ... The fact that Arkansas has not done the same leads me to believe our AD feels there is no job opening here ... presently, or future ...

Hogwild

Mullen would be the first call I would make if I was UT's AD

Cambridge Hog

Quote from: Beaverfever on November 12, 2017, 01:23:03 pm
They very well might get Gruden.  ESPN is probably about done paying him a ton of money so the timing makes sense.

I would believe it.

And I swear I thought I heard him say in a broadcast this year that he was  (paraphrase) getting the itch to get back into coaching.

but the coffers running low at ESPN is certainly a great point. just get some AI to call games... :0

WilsonHog

Quote from: BroyledNutts on November 12, 2017, 02:10:13 pm
Proactive ADs getting their vacancies announced early, knowing the competition for quality coaches to fill open SEC positions will be intense during the post season ... The fact that Arkansas has not done the same leads me to believe our AD feels there is no job opening here ... presently, or future ...

The opening of other jobs has little to no impact on who our next football coach will be.

007 License To Squeal

Nope   BB is gone.....Book it!
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

BroyledNutts

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 12, 2017, 02:33:36 pm
The opening of other jobs has little to no impact on who our next football coach will be.

What are you telling me that you are not telling me ...

Hog-Corleone

Fla and TN are showing that they will not put up with mediocrity.  Our AD is showing that he won't make a change with results that make mediocrity look like making the playoff...
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

Lanny

no way all assistants are retained
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: BroyledNutts on November 12, 2017, 02:10:13 pm

Right.  Because you hate Jeff Long and so he is doing things that justify your hate.   

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on November 12, 2017, 03:33:33 pm
Fla and TN are showing that they will not put up with mediocrity.  Our AD is showing that he won't make a change with results that make mediocrity look like making the playoff...

Our AD is demonstrating a professional attitude and demeanor.  There is zero benefit to firing a coach at this point in the season.  I'm sure that whatever decision is going to be made, has been made and the last 2 games of the season matter not at all.  None of us knows what is happening just like none of us had any idea BB would be hired.  Everyone knew it was going to be Chris Peterson.  So, why don't you haters lay off the hate for a couple of weeks and see what happens!?

mckinneyhog5

Norvell to Tennessee and in a few years they will be looking for another coach. Book it!
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

JOKERHOG

Firing BB before the season is over allows us to state clearly that we expect way more from our leader and we are way above this nonsense.  Tenner did it the right way.  We can't wait any longer to make our move
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

FATHAWG08

Tenner just had press conference. Jones is out!
I love off season Football!!

Hawg Red

Nouston Hutt

Smart school. They can actually tell when a coach lost his team

pigskenG

Tennessee's national recruiting rankings for 2013 - 2017 : 25-7-4-14-17
And they have trouble winning in the SEC East.
The fans know it.
Not all bad for Butch, he has a $8.5 million buy out.

BroyledNutts

November 12, 2017, 04:43:12 pm #26 Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 05:09:40 pm by BroyledNutts
Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 12, 2017, 03:54:13 pm
Right.  Because you hate Jeff Long and so he is doing things that justify your hate.   

How I feel about Mr. Long has little to do with his absence in the face of an imploding football program, after being visible and vocal so many times for many years about that same program. Add to that recently:

...A meeting in which he was "invited" to attend by his superior in which he drove some distance just to sit in an adjunct room without participating or speaking in said meeting, and

...a change in his marketing approach of the football program that moved away from praising on the field accomplishment to highlighting academic achievement, knowing there was otherwise little production to sell to the public...

...an outright avoidance of interviews about the current state of affairs regarding the football program after years of being in the camera light touting the qualities of his hire and that person's job performance...

...and a continuance of the emphatic narrative that Bret is running the program "the right way", and "the wins will come" but we have to "allow him the time to achieve at the highest level" in spite of the realities of the situation witnessed on the field.

Those are just a couple things that stick out to me that says his vocal and visible absence mean something beyond simply being busy. It all adds up to me to mean one of a couple things -
1) Either he's quietly trying to figure out who he's going to target as his next coaching hire, which I seriously doubt ...
2) Or he's bastioned himself against an onslaught of unhappy people in prominent and influential positions about a coaching change needed, because he continues to hold on to the belief that Bret is dealing with issues outside of his control and that we all need to give him more time and does not intend to make a change.

Now, if you interpret that to be outright hatred for all things Jeff Long I can't, nor will I attempt to, dissuade you from your opinion of my beliefs ...real or perceived ...

hoggusamoungus

elksnort

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Lanny on November 12, 2017, 03:40:35 pm
no way all assistants are retained

If Bret is retained, I certainly hope that staff changes are made. I just have no faith they will be - how do you sell a job opening on this staff when the future of the head coach is uncertain in it's own right? Which gives me pause to another reality - if it's staff changes that have been recommended and not a head coaching change, how long will Bret be coaching at Arkansas? Does this imply a contract extension is under consideration before next year, to allow his new staff to gel in their new jobs?

welchog

Do we jump next or let TAMU take the leap next week?

I believe we SHOULD be next.  Why wait?

Kevin

Lanny are you know thinking Cbb stays
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

KCRazorbackfan

I'm really concerned also that Long is satisfied with status quo and will leave everything in place for next year; some assistants may leave, but I'm thinking chunky butt will return.
Life took me to Central Florida, but I'll always be a Razorback.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: welchog on November 12, 2017, 04:59:51 pm
Do we jump next or let TAMU take the leap next week?

I believe we SHOULD be next.  Why wait?

If any other school in the SEC is not going to have the same coach next year it absolutely should be Arkansas.

Butch Jones will land on his feet, not sure BB even wants too.

PonderinHog

That's what happens when you lose to Mizzou...

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BroyledNutts on November 12, 2017, 04:49:45 pm
If Bret is retained, I certainly hope that staff changes are made. I just have no faith they will be - how do you sell a job opening on this staff when the future of the head coach is uncertain in it's own right? Which gives me pause to another reality - if it's staff changes that have been recommended and not a head coaching change, how long will Bret be coaching at Arkansas? Does this imply a contract extension is under consideration before next year, to allow his new staff to gel in their new jobs?
The key point you're overlooking is CBB will STILL BE THE HC. Make all the changes in staff you want; however, until Bret is finally smart enough to get the heck out of the way even with the best staff money could buy you'd still get the same results. The rot starts at the head, not at the tail.

davglo35

If Blowfish Bielema is retained history will be made. Next year will be the first year that the team wasn't hyped and preseason hopes will be nonexistant. Almost no one has faith in this guy to develop talent and use it to the teams advantage. Recruiting will take a nose dive because nobody wants to play for a loser.
If Long doesn't fire Bielema then he is not in touch with college football reality. This is not a situation where firing a coach could be a mistake. This is not a Phillip Fulmer situation. You look at his record and it's pathetic. Then look at losses to Rutgers (twice) Toledo, Texas Tech and 5 straight to the Aggies. A 1 point win over a 1-7 cupcake. Getting rolled by S. Carolina, Aubbie, and LSU. Then there is the 2nd half meltdowns against Mizzou and VT.
If Blowfish Bielema is retained then most if us are done. I know I will be.

bob slydell

No coaches will be changing jobs until after the regular season regardless.  Makes no difference if the job opening occurs now or then.  Not sure why having an interim situation here makes it any easier to hire a good coach.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

micali

I wish we would get one of these posts for our coach.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Bob Slydell on November 12, 2017, 06:51:49 pm
No coaches will be changing jobs until after the regular season regardless.  Makes no difference if the job opening occurs now or then.  Not sure why having an interim situation here makes it any easier to hire a good coach.
But it does remove the elephant from the room.

aloha_kid

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 12, 2017, 03:59:09 pm
Norvell to Tennessee and in a few years they will be looking for another coach. Book it!

Why would they take Norvell?  I mean seriously the hot name in the group of 5 is a failed experiment at UT.  They are not going with another experiment, they are going name brand.  UT is easily a top 20 program and will hire a name brand HC, not someone with 2 years as the head man at a program he didn't build.  There's no pressure at Memphis compared to a top tier program.  CBP will show up somewhere in the SEC soon.

I think Rick Neuheisel may land somewhere soon as well. Odd he was just in Knoxvegas last week.

rude1

Quote from: Bob Slydell on November 12, 2017, 06:51:49 pm
There's a couple of things in play here IMO when you go ahead and pull the trigger. First of all you are letting your fans and supporters know that losing is not tolerated and it really rejuvenates a fan base when they know change is happening. Second you are signaling to prospective coaching replacements that your job is open, there is no more need for speculation, and I am sure interested coaches will then start reaching out to gauge the programs interest in them through third parties.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 12, 2017, 03:57:30 pm
Our AD is demonstrating a professional attitude and demeanor.  There is zero benefit to firing a coach at this point in the season.  I'm sure that whatever decision is going to be made, has been made and the last 2 games of the season matter not at all.  None of us knows what is happening just like none of us had any idea BB would be hired.  Everyone knew it was going to be Chris Peterson.  So, why don't you haters lay off the hate for a couple of weeks and see what happens!?
Bret, is that you ?
The long Grey line will never fail our country.