Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The GSD

Started by Karma, November 16, 2017, 08:19:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

wachhog

Quote from: BigK_HogHeaven on November 16, 2017, 08:50:03 am
I think I lend a unique perspective on the LR game. I was born and raised in Central Arkansas, came to U of A for college and have lived in NWA ever since. The LR game was a key part of my childhood and was how I was first exposed to the Hogs. I went to probably 20 games at WMS before I ever got the chance to see a game in Fayetteville. That's something that we shouldn't take away from Central Ark. Most in NWA don't realize the impact that the game in LR has. I'm 100% in favor of keeping a game there, even though it takes a game away from NWA, where I live. I want every kid in Central, Southern, and Eastern Arkansas to have access to see the Hogs play the way that I got to.
Amen.

factchecker

Quote from: HogRyder on November 16, 2017, 03:09:22 pm
It certainly is in Central Arkansas best interest to invest money into something other than Razorback football.

Start investing in the public schools in central Arkansas.  They need all the help they can get.

I also believe the students at Little Rock University would greatly appreciate if central Arkansas would help alleviate the financial burden that is trojan athletics:

The Trojan athletic department collected $3,837,889 via student fees in 2016.  They only made $534,218 in ticket sales.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Snouty

I hate to see the Great Stadium Debate raise its ugly head again.  As I was driving from North Little Rock to Texarkana this morning, I heard Rex Nelson express his opinion that maybe Arkansas should play 2 games in Little Rock.  I could see where eventually two might become three and three might become 4.  Personally I believe all the home games should be played at DWR Razorback Stadium because it is located on campus.  Arkansas has a huge out of state following, and it is easier to get to Fayetteville from parts of Oklahoma, Missouri and Texas than it is to get to Little Rock.  However, I'd support playing an annual game against the Red Wolves in Little Rock.  I'd propose we play ASU the day after Thanksgiving.  Feel free to smite away if you disagree.   

HogRyder

Quote from: factchecker on November 16, 2017, 03:51:20 pm
Start investing in the public schools in central Arkansas.  They need all the help they can get.

I also believe the students at Little Rock University would greatly appreciate if central Arkansas would help alleviate the financial burden that is trojan athletics:

The Trojan athletic department collected $3,837,889 via student fees in 2016.  They only made $534,218 in ticket sales.

Thanks for showing at least one example of my point. There are many others as well

texas tush hog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 16, 2017, 10:31:33 am
Hogs do not need ASU to sell out WMS.  Update the stadium, make it worthy of more than FCS opponents, make it attractive for fans to want to visit, make it an event again and not a burden and the attendance will be fine. 

Possibly not, but schedule an ASU/Arkansas game for ten years, charge $100.00 a ticket and you would have a classic. When demand grows out of sight, you could raise tickets to $125, $135, $145 etc, etc. Have a look-in after five years, and if it loses money then you could cancel it. I'm betting it won't.

Sweet Feet

I am with most people in that a LR game vs ASU would no doubt sell out and bring in more of a crowd than playing some 3rd rate FCS team or other midmajors with no significance. Just playing an SEC game there would bring in a bigger crowd.

However people also have to understand that the attendance has a lot to do with how good the team is. When Arkansas was decent, attendance was rarely an issue. Now that they have been sucking ass, nobody wants to waste their money and time. That was obviously evident when the games in Fayetteville were played later and there were a lot of empty seats. The same ones bashing WMS and LR for the attendance were always quiet when that was brought up.

I do wonder though what if Arkansas is just pulling this stunt to ward off UALR's push for football. I don't put it past them to do something underhanded like that. Especially when it comes to holding down other instate programs.

bythelake

Sweet feet,  please stay over at the redwolf board, the den. 

Thank you for leaving.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: bythelake on November 16, 2017, 07:30:56 pm
Sweet feet,  please stay over at the redwolf board, the den. 

Thank you for leaving.
you want my attention so much lol ...here it is. You've been begging for it for a while.

Now get off my dick. Thanks

RedRazorHog

I think I lend a unique perspective on the LR game. I was born and raised in Central Arkansas, came to U of A for college and have lived in NWA ever since. The LR game was a key part of my childhood and was how I was first exposed to the Hogs. I went to probably 20 games at WMS before I ever got the chance to see a game in Fayetteville. That's something that we shouldn't take away from Central Ark. Most in NWA don't realize the impact that the game in LR has. I'm 100% in favor of keeping a game there, even though it takes a game away from NWA, where I live. I want every kid in Central, Southern, and Eastern Arkansas to have access to see the Hogs play the way that I got to.

Amen brother, I too grew up in LR and can remember seeing the traffic on Markham lining up for the games.  Loved every bit of it.  In those days we even had a Red/White game in LR. 
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

bvillepig

I would have the Mississippi schools play at War Memorial.

If Arkansas State happens it needs to be in Fayetteville every year until they get a stadium that seats 60,000 to 70,000

plumbhog

The Arkansas Razorbacks are the ones that benefit the most by playing a game of interest in Little Rock. It's that presence that makes kids like Darren McFadden grow up bleeding Razorback red. Take that away and it will be the Razorbacks that suffer the most. 
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

hoglady

Quote from: factchecker on November 16, 2017, 03:51:20 pm

How many athletic departments in the country that don't have a football program collect enough in ticket sales off basketball to finance the athletic department? Most likely none.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

moses_007

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 16, 2017, 09:05:13 am
It Simple the STATE got to Man up and pay to fix WMS to keep the Hogs and Keep other events coming to Little Rock. 

Or Demo it and Build a Brand New WMS in LR.
Needs to be demolished and a brand new stadium built out west on I-430.

ricepig

Quote from: moses_007 on November 16, 2017, 08:37:27 pm
Needs to be demolished and a brand new stadium built out west on I-430.

Bulldoze Alotian, make it happen!

factchecker

Quote from: hoglady on November 16, 2017, 08:35:23 pm
How many athletic departments in the country that don't have a football program collect enough in ticket sales off basketball to finance the athletic department? Most likely none.

Football makes money but they cost a whole lot more money to run than basketball.

Both jonesboro and conway take more money from students than they generate in ticket sales:

jonesboro collected $5,027,521 via student fees in 2016.  They only made $1,666,852 in ticket sales.

conway collected $4,925,356 via student fees.  They only made $431,731 in ticket sales.

little rock starting a football program doesn't give them more money.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

JaketheSnake

Quote from: buldozer on November 16, 2017, 12:17:59 pm
The NWA wine and cheese crowd thinks if they boycott LR games and don't sell their tickets they would be able to end LR games so they never have to travel 2 hrs to a future razorback game. Also, only scheduling cupcake games in LR to drive attendance down. No consideration at all from the NWA wine and cheese crowd for those that live 8 hrs from RRS in South AR. But many of the major donors realize the State's flagship University is basically located in OK or MO, not AR and that playing in LR will continue to connect the entire state to the Razorback program....

NWA is out of touch with most of the state of AR. Just like those from NWA coming to LR to a meeting without a tie. What seems normal in NWA is out of touch with the rest of the state.
Little Rock to Fayetteville is 3 hours.  Where in Arkansas takes 8 hours to get to campus exactly?  Lake Village is 5 max.  At least use facts.

DeltaBoy

With Traffic it would be 6 hours from most of deep South Arkansas
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ricepig

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 16, 2017, 09:33:37 pm
With Traffic it would be 6 hours from most of deep South Arkansas

We're raising the speed limits to 75, so that will mean a minimum of 85 on game days.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 16, 2017, 08:30:30 am
+1 I also think Tommy Tuberville had a great idea, play the spring game in little rock as well. It gives the spring game more of a gameday atmosphere for players and fans alike

Word...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hoglady

Quote from: factchecker on November 16, 2017, 08:50:21 pm
Football makes money but they cost a whole lot more money to run than basketball.

Both jonesboro and conway take more money from students than they generate in ticket sales:

jonesboro collected $5,027,521 via student fees in 2016.  They only made $1,666,852 in ticket sales.

conway collected $4,925,356 via student fees.  They only made $431,731 in ticket sales.

The basic point was - UALR will never be able to support their athletic program through basketball ticket sales. That's basically their only revenue producing sport. So student fees will always have to supplement the athletic program.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

colbs

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 16, 2017, 06:52:28 pm

Possibly not, but schedule an ASU/Arkansas game for ten years, charge $100.00 a ticket and you would have a classic. When demand grows out of sight, you could raise tickets to $125, $135, $145 etc, etc. Have a look-in after five years, and if it loses money then you could cancel it. I'm betting it won't.
I never understood this.  Why would Arkansas want to split ticket sales with Arkansas State in a 53k stadium?  If that game is ever played it should be played at Fayetteville.

Dmacattack

There are very few players on the team who want to play in LR. Jerry dome? Yes. War memorial?  No chance.

I live in Little Rock. Would be easier if a game was kept here. But it shouldn't be about what's easiest for me (or for you). It's about what's best for our school...for our team.

War memorial crown is more concerned about drinking and doing the wave when we are trailing in a game and on offense

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on November 16, 2017, 12:36:38 pm
That, and I guess he did see the article showing that more SE Arkansas fans buy tickets for RRS, than WMS, lol.

That was a five year average.  Lol.  Fans flocked from all over the state to see Samford, Alcorn State, Toledo, and Louisiana Monroe.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bphi11ips

Quote from: plumbhog on November 16, 2017, 08:31:38 pm
The Arkansas Razorbacks are the ones that benefit the most by playing a game of interest in Little Rock. It's that presence that makes kids like Darren McFadden grow up bleeding Razorback red. Take that away and it will be the Razorbacks that suffer the most. 

This is the most support I've seen for Little Rock games in the eleven years I've posted on Hogville.  Where have y'all been?

Arkansas has about 500,000 African-American citizens, most of whom can't travel to Fayetteville for a game.  NWA's African-American population is 10,000. 

Darren McFadden was born in 1987.  From the time he was 6 until he signed with the Razorbacks 3 or 4 games were played in Little Rock almost every year, never less than 2. "501" was tatooed on his arm.  He made it clear how much he loved playing at home.

KJ Hill was class of 2015.  From the time he was 6 until he signed with Ohio State 2 or less games per year were played in Little Rock. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Snouty on November 16, 2017, 03:51:38 pm
I hate to see the Great Stadium Debate raise its ugly head again.  As I was driving from North Little Rock to Texarkana this morning, I heard Rex Nelson express his opinion that maybe Arkansas should play 2 games in Little Rock.  I could see where eventually two might become three and three might become 4.  Personally I believe all the home games should be played at DWR Razorback Stadium because it is located on campus.  Arkansas has a huge out of state following, and it is easier to get to Fayetteville from parts of Oklahoma, Missouri and Texas than it is to get to Little Rock.  However, I'd support playing an annual game against the Red Wolves in Little Rock.  I'd propose we play ASU the day after Thanksgiving.  Feel free to smite away if you disagree.
Its also easier for SE Arkansans to go to Ole Miss games and SW Arkansans go to TCU or A&M games. Yes those schools are closer than the UofA. Ole Miss, LSU, and LA Tech have very strong presences in south arkansas so dont take the fans for granted
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Godfather

"I love home games played hours from home".  Said nobody ever in NWA. 
WPS to the end.

cpohog

Ditto!
As a child in the late 60's early 70's I have fond memories of attending UA/Texas, UA/T A&M games in LR. Due to my Dad's work schedule, getting to NWA for a game was almost impossible. LR games made it a lot easier and we attended many games in the Rock. It was not until the late 70's and early 80's that I was able to attend a game in NWA. 

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 16, 2017, 11:31:24 pm
That was a five year average.  Lol.  Fans flocked from all over the state to see Samford, Alcorn State, Toledo, and Louisiana Monroe.

Georgia, OM, MSU,......

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 16, 2017, 11:59:44 pm

Arkansas has about 500,000 African-American citizens, most of whom can't travel to Fayetteville for a game.  NWA's African-American population is 10,000

Huh??

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Sweet Feet on November 16, 2017, 07:43:17 pm
you want my attention so much lol ...here it is. You've been begging for it for a while.

Now get off my dick. Thanks
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

bphi11ips

shown006

Quote from: Dmacattack on November 16, 2017, 11:19:48 pm
There are very few players on the team who want to play in LR. Jerry dome? Yes. War memorial?  No chance.

I live in Little Rock. Would be easier if a game was kept here. But it shouldn't be about what's easiest for me (or for you). It's about what's best for our school...for our team.

War memorial crown is more concerned about drinking and doing the wave when we are trailing in a game and on offense

Actually, there are quite a few that like playing in LR.  TJ Hammonds loves it.
WPS!

HotlantaHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 16, 2017, 12:35:06 pm
There is a lot of envy over the $1.5M given to Coastal Carolina for their visit to RRS. State can't mandate that fee go to AState and the two teams play, can they?

Sure they can. I know this kind of proposal has come up in the context of other states --Clemson and University of South Carolina, Auburn and Alabama, Florida and Florida State, maybe some others. Not sure if any of the proposals got passed... If my memory is correct, there was a bill introduced in 2012 in South Carolina that would require South Carolina and Clemson to play annually. Since they do anyway, it hasn't passed. But likely would if one school backed out.

Not saying this is a good idea for the legislature to get involved with. I would say improving education, infrastructure, business climate, among other things, would be more important... But they certainly could get involved if they wanted to.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on November 16, 2017, 12:40:57 pm
We aren't playing 2 games a year in LR and paying for stadium bonds and buyouts, unless we are paid a tremendous amount of money to play there. Would you pay $64,000 for a suite you can only use 5 times a year, think numbers, not nostalgia.

I doubt there is any more thought of playing two games in LR than there is in playing all games in Fayetteville.  One SEC game will be played in Little Rock no matter how much kicking and screaming goes on here.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 17, 2017, 07:38:54 am
I doubt there is any more thought of playing two games in LR than there is in playing all games in Fayetteville.  One SEC game will be played in Little Rock no matter how much kicking and screaming goes on here.

At best in the years we are the visitors at AT+T, they aren't going to only have 2 SEC games in RRS.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 17, 2017, 07:28:40 am
Multiply 463,000 x .019.

Math wasn't the problem, it was the blanket statement that "most" can't travel to Fayetteville to a game. Also, we only play 1 basketball game a year in NLR against a non-SEC team, that hasn't stopped players from signing and playing in Fayetteville, has it?

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on November 17, 2017, 07:48:05 am
Math wasn't the problem, it was the blanket statement that "most" can't travel to Fayetteville to a game. Also, we only play 1 basketball game a year in NLR against a non-SEC team, that hasn't stopped players from signing and playing in Fayetteville, has it?

Let them eat cake.

ricepig

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: factchecker on November 16, 2017, 08:50:21 pm

True as far as it goes, but the straight-line accounting isn't as far it goes.  Athletics are really a form of advertising, and determining the economic value of advertising is pretty difficult.  There's more to the economic impact of athletics on a university than directly attributable debits and credits.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on November 17, 2017, 12:26:07 am
Its also easier for SE Arkansans to go to Ole Miss games and SW Arkansans go to TCU or A&M games. Yes those schools are closer than the UofA. Ole Miss, LSU, and LA Tech have very strong presences in south arkansas so dont take the fans for granted

There are still plenty of Razorback fans in East Arkansas, but the intensity of Razorback fandom in East Arkansas isn't nearly what it used to be.  I think there are multiple factors for that, with the reduction in Little Rock games only one of several factors.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on November 17, 2017, 07:44:15 am
At best in the years we are the visitors at AT+T, they aren't going to only have 2 SEC games in RRS.

Maybe.  And maybe the A&M series will go home-and-home.  Or maybe Mississippi State or Ole Miss will become permanent Little Rock home games, but there will be no more annual FCS games in Little Rock. Maybe there will be no more games in Little Rock at all.

Jeff Long was canned because of his attitude towards Arkansas in general and in particular his attitude towards Little Rock.  Who do you think the fans were that he alienated?  I predicted he would put the worst opponents in Little Rock and said it would be worse than playing a game there at all.  When asked about the future of games at WMS Long's pat answer was "I haven't considered it yet."  That was as late as this past summer.  Then he took his Power Point on the road to present privately to BOT members.  Long reaped what he sowed.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 17, 2017, 08:07:54 am
Maybe.  And maybe the A&M series will go home-and-home.  Or maybe Mississippi State or Ole Miss will become permanent Little Rock home games, but there will be no more annual FCS games in Little Rock. Maybe there will be no more games in Little Rock at all.

Jeff Long was canned because of his attitude towards Arkansas in general and in particular his attitude towards Little Rock.  Who do you think the fans were that he alienated?  I predicted he would put the worst opponents in Little Rock and said it would be worse than playing a game there at all.  When asked about the future of games at WMS Long's pat answer was "I haven't considered it yet."  That was as late as this past summer.  Then he took his Power Point on the road to present privately to BOT members.  Long reaped what he sowed.

I think A&M is extremely anxious to take the Arkansas series back to home-and-home.  They've got 102,000 home tickets to sell.

bphi11ips

Cotton

This is the most support I've seen for Little Rock games in the eleven years I've posted on Hogville.  Where have y'all been?

Arkansas has about 500,000 African-American citizens, most of whom can't travel to Fayetteville for a game.  NWA's African-American population is 10,000. 

Darren McFadden was born in 1987.  From the time he was 6 until he signed with the Razorbacks 3 or 4 games were played in Little Rock almost every year, never less than 2. "501" was tatooed on his arm.  He made it clear how much he loved playing at home.

KJ Hill was class of 2015.  From the time he was 6 until he signed with Ohio State 2 or less games per year were played in Little Rock.
Really?? Let's keep your racist views to yourself.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Karma on November 16, 2017, 08:19:04 am
I thought this was finally over, and didn't think we would ever play in WMS again. But part of the context of Long being "out of touch" with what it means to be a Razorback was his campaign to end playing in WMS. Did you notice the articles yesterday that mentioned Long going to board members about wanting to end playing in LR and the push back he got, even from the governor? The same money that is paying to get rid of him, to get rid of Bielema, and paying for the next coach also seems to want to play in WMS. It doesn't get more "Good Ole Boy" than playing in the Rock, so we better get used to it.

Frio Lite sales will skyrocket that weekend.

So will throwback stoerner jerseys and camo jackets

don't forget your jean shorts to complete the WMS outfit

The GOBN is not a buffet. One does not go through the line and say:

- I will take your money to fire the AD
- I will take your money to buyout the football coach
- I will take your money and influence to find a new coach

and then say "no thank you, I'll pass on your desire to play at WMS every year."

We will eat what's on our plate and we will like it. And what we will most likely get, is 1 game a year at WMS that looks a whole lot like it has in the last 5 years, with a little lipstick added.

ipigsooie

Really? I don't think he is being racist?  Have you ever stepped foot in any little rock school?  Look at the numbers on free and reduced lunch vs the rest of the state. Our inner city schools are not filled with students that come from privileged backgrounds. Most of the kids I work with have rarely traveled out of state and most could not even fathom the luxury  affording tickets to a razorback game.  Throw in lodging and parking,  gas, etc and you might as well be asking them of they want to go to Disney world.  I don't think it's racist, I think it's reality and it is sad.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Cotton on November 17, 2017, 08:15:15 am
Really?? Let's keep your racist views to yourself.

Hah!  Who is the racist here my friend?!?  All men may be created equal, but in Little Rock they definitely do not all have the same opportunity. 

Atlhogfan1

This is a ridiculous reach.

It makes absolutely no sense right now for the Razorbacks to be forced to play in LR which is what a portion of our "supporters" are doing.  But since we are being forced to do so, it is time to improve it and make it somewhat tolerable for everyone involved.  This is where the discussion should be heading.  Not ridiculous reaches of arguments.  The only reason right now to force the Razorbacks to play in WMS is emotion from some.  The recruiting angle is stupid. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Cotton

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 17, 2017, 08:20:56 am
Hah!  Who is the racist here my friend?!?  All men may be created equal, but in Little Rock they definitely do not all have the same opportunity.
You said "Arkansas has about 500,000 African-American citizens, most of whom can't travel to Fayetteville for a game." That's a poor, poor choice of wording. Blanket statements are dangerous and shouldn't be used.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX